HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Very interesting summer ahead

Old
03-25-2012, 12:50 AM
Pyrophorus

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Isn't Harding less proven, than our current tandem?

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 01:18 AM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
Isn't Harding less proven, than our current tandem?
Grass is always greener...

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 01:28 AM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

Same things needed this year that the team has needed every year.

Problem is there are few players available to fill those holes, and the ones that are, Burke wont be able to sign within his "rules".

No #1 centres are available, so we will have the same problems next year, and the year after. Until Burke gets fired, and we try to acquire top talent through the draft.

The CyNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 01:35 AM
PoisonMushroom
I'm a fungi!

The Leafs absolutely have to move the dead weight off this team this summer. I don't care how, but get rid of Connolly, Armstrong, Lombardi and Komisarek at minimum. This team was loads better when those guys were out of the lineup in December. GET THEM OUT. Let the kids play, at least they might try to show an effort to keep their jobs and earn a big contract someday.

I can see Burke pulling off a big deal with pieces that may or may not include Kulemin, Franson, Schenn, MacArthur etc. Hopefully he can snag a goalie and top-6 forward somehow. Please note that I don't WANT those guys shipped out, those are just the ones I think are most likely to be pieces in a deal this summer.

And I hope they stay away from pretty much all high-priced UFAs this summer. UNLESS Burke can make some trades as stated above to get a goalie and top-six forward. If not, don't make a big long-term splash to get one player. This team is CLEARLY not one player away.

PoisonMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 01:53 AM
FlareKnight

vCash: 100
I have few expectations at this point. Burke has wanted to make a tough team since he first got here so I can't believe that just because Carlyle has arrived he'll suddenly make moves he would have never done before. UFA has gone from a time of hope to fearing what bad UFA signing Burke will do this year. Far too many of his UFA signings have been overpaid and next to useless when they got here.

But even Burke should be feeling the heat now and that could be good or bad.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 03:01 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
Grass is always greener...
lol best explanation really.

03-25-2012, 07:17 AM
Nanuk23

Barring another rabbit out of the hat trick from Burke I have a hard time seeing where we get a # 1 goalie. Keep a close eye on Scrivens. He's tearing it up right now with the Marlies and if they go deep into the playoffs don't be surprised if we wind up with a tandem of Reimer /Scrivens next season.

Nanuk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:41 AM
LeafsRReady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burtonboy View Post
Barring another rabbit out of the hat trick from Burke I have a hard time seeing where we get a # 1 goalie. Keep a close eye on Scrivens. He's tearing it up right now with the Marlies and if they go deep into the playoffs don't be surprised if we wind up with a tandem of Reimer /Scrivens next season.
You mean Scrivens/Reimer. I'd trade Reimer for the alleged first he's supposed to be worth and go with Veteran/Scrivens.

LeafsRReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:43 AM
toronto murphy laws

Connolly is the only one you keep from L.A.C.K.

Centre depth is important and he can play a checking role, can play the PK, and can fill in on the PP or the first line if need be. I also think he has more heart than most give him credit for.

Lombardi and Armstrong are fairly useless, especially considering all the younger guys who can likely make a bigger difference for less money.

toronto murphy laws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:25 AM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 741
One mans dead weight is pulling weight for another man.

(what was that guys name on 1st place NYR 4th line again? John...something. Malkin...Johnny Malkin...I think he used to be on the Leafs)

crump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:33 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto murphy laws View Post
Connolly is the only one you keep from L.A.C.K.

Centre depth is important and he can play a checking role, can play the PK, and can fill in on the PP or the first line if need be. I also think he has more heart than most give him credit for.

Lombardi and Armstrong are fairly useless, especially considering all the younger guys who can likely make a bigger difference for less money.
You don't keep Connolly just because he scored last night. Guy has been invisible and unwilling to compete almost the entire year. Never once has he come up big for this team. I'd dump him for 0 return. He's a perimeter player that won't go into the tough areas.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:34 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post
One mans dead weight is pulling weight for another man.

(what was that guys name on 1st place NYR 4th line again? John...something. Malkin...Johnny Malkin...I think he used to be on the Leafs)
He's still terrible. Henrik just makes him look good.

Old
03-25-2012, 08:35 AM
Corleone

Send a message via MSN to Corleone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb View Post
Parise signing in Toronto is not realistic.

Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:42 AM
Holy Mackinaw

The funny thing is, I really like the direction the team is headed. The kids are progressing nicely both here and on the farm, and with a little luck, we will draft another piece of the future this year, hopefully in the top five or so.

Other than that, Burke knows the clock is ticking. He needs to change the dynamic of this team. Somehow, I think he is going to pulla rabbit out of his hat and trade for a #1 C over the summer. I'm not sure how he is going to do it, but he also needs to shore up the goaltending.

One other thing we have to improve on is team toughness. That Bruins game the other night really opened by eyes just how much we were pushed around and how much the Bruins intimidated the Leafs. Truculance my ass. We need that one guy to sit at the end of the bench all night if need be, just to keep the other teams honest. See Orr, Colton and Domi, Tie.

Holy Mackinaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 08:51 AM
toronto murphy laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
You don't keep Connolly just because he scored last night. Guy has been invisible and unwilling to compete almost the entire year.
I provided three reasons for keeping him. None of which were because he scored last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Never once has he come up big for this team. I'd dump him for 0 return. He's a perimeter player that won't go into the tough areas.
What about the fact that he is leading the team in blocked shots for forwards? Isn't blocking shots going into "tough areas" for you?

For reference:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...tssPlayerStats

Old
03-25-2012, 09:08 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb View Post
Lupal Lupol Lupul... I am waiting to see Lupil and Lupel on these boards now.
Lapel?

OT: Yes, it should be an interesting summer. I'm most interested to see what happens with the goalies...

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 09:11 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corleone View Post
lol burke is going to have to make a helluva of a sales pitch to get him here, i dont think its probable at all.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 09:20 AM
Darylman

Quote:
I provided three reasons for keeping him. None of which were because he scored last night.

What about the fact that he is leading the team in blocked shots for forwards? Isn't blocking shots going into "tough areas" for you?

For reference:
You're absolutely right about Connolly, don't worry. He's a beast on defense and makes surprising plays offensively.

Armstrong is the worst player on the team, and by a fair margin. He must really love his family. Lombardi will be gone.

Darylman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 09:32 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackinaw View Post
The funny thing is, I really like the direction the team is headed. The kids are progressing nicely both here and on the farm, and with a little luck, we will draft another piece of the future this year, hopefully in the top five or so.

Other than that, Burke knows the clock is ticking. He needs to change the dynamic of this team. Somehow, I think he is going to pulla rabbit out of his hat and trade for a #1 C over the summer. I'm not sure how he is going to do it, but he also needs to shore up the goaltending.

One other thing we have to improve on is team toughness. That Bruins game the other night really opened by eyes just how much we were pushed around and how much the Bruins intimidated the Leafs. Truculance my ass. We need that one guy to sit at the end of the bench all night if need be, just to keep the other teams honest. See Orr, Colton and Domi, Tie.
Next to Columbus we have the worst goaltendig in the league. You can't win without it and there is no solution on the horizon.

Burke's UFA signings -- Connolly, Armstrong, and Komisarik are a disgrace to the Leaf jersey and at best are boat anchors on the cap.

The glass is half full...we are only a #1 center away has been the song for the past decade. Prior it was we only need a #1 winger for Sundin. Fact is you can't acquire these guys easily and there won't be one coming soon. So the reality is this team with Colborne as the number 1 or Bozak.

You mentioned the lack of toughness and embarassing games against the Bruins -- it's sad really to see a team be that scared. I don't think I've ever witnessed another NHL team that scared.

So with no goaltending or toughness to speak of and a mediocre team defense -- how is this team poised to make the next step?

Sure you play Kadri, Colborne, Frattin and other young guys more but that just makes us closer to the Edmonton Oilers and NYI -- not a top team. Sadly this team is two years away from competing and that's only if Burke can finally convince some of the upcoming UFA's like Getzlaf etc. to sign here. Otherwise this team will struggle to be average -- because that's what they are.

Old
03-25-2012, 09:35 AM
toronto murphy laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
Lapel?

OT: Yes, it should be an interesting summer. I'm most interested to see what happens with the goalies...
Does OT stand for "On Topic"?

Old
03-25-2012, 09:38 AM
birddog*

Quote:

For reference:
Leading the team in blocked shots -- wow -- 4.7 for a 4th line center with 0 toughness. He's terrible and has no heart. I would send him to the first team that wants his contract. He's a disgrace to the Maple Leaf jersey. Guys like Phaneuf and Kessel get all kinds of flack becuase this "1st line center" hasn't showed up all year.

Old
03-25-2012, 09:40 AM
GrizzLeaf

I have mixed feelings on the Connolly front.

He's been invisible most nights (offensively) and hasn't really done what I expected. Yet he's looked good these last few games which has to be in no small part to the new coach (and new style of play). Could he have a better season under Carlyle? I don't know.

I guess Burke looks at Connonlly as someone you move if there's someone that can fill his spot (either a yougster, FA or in a trade), but there are so many holes in the roster that getting rid of him is not a priority.

I really see goaltending as the biggest issue. Bigger than shoring up the D (which has looked better under Carlyle). Offensively, this team can score, so while finding another goal scorer or playmaker is great, it's not a priority.

#1C seems to be the one wish most posters have. I don't see it. Lups and Kessel are the top line. Bozak plays well with them. As long as he can win faceoffs and doesn't bring down top line production, I just don't see a #1C as a need. A wish, yes, but not an absolute need. The cost alone, of getting one might make the whole point moot.

No way can this team go into next season with Gus and Reimer again. One of them has to go, and we need a cabable backup/potential starter. We started this season with those two and everyone said there were question marks in net. Anyone think those questions aren't still there? Reimer hasn't carried this team, nor played a full season, which was his biggest mystery. Gus has been inconsistent all season, playing stellar at times and letting in weak goals at others. Same questions as last summer. It can't go on.

Goaltending is the single biggest issue that Burke needs to address.

GrizzLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 09:45 AM
Crazy Vaclav
Put it in H

Quote:
So he is going to play with team garfield next season?

Crazy Vaclav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 09:53 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Everyone's a leaf fan before they get drafted, there's even a pic of Ovechkin wearing a leaf toque when he was still in Russia.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 09:56 AM
GrizzLeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebderp View Post
So he is going to play with team garfield next season?
lol

Ya, wasn't Crosby a Habs fan as a kid? How has that worked out for Montreal?

Kadri was a Habs fan as a kid, does that mean he doesn't re-sign with the Leafs and goes there as a UFA in the future?

GrizzLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote