HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

YOUR COUNTRY'S 2012/2013 World Junior Team

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-28-2012, 10:20 PM
  #126
Zine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rostov-on-Don
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post

simply put, the drama usually follows the Russians wherever they go. a kid like Galchenyuk who really doesnt owe much to Russia in terms of his development really doesnt have that hard of a choice to make...Russia or the US.


Galchenyuk spend 7 straight years (2002-2009) in Dynamo Moscow's system.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:20 AM
  #127
BeersHockey
Registered User
 
BeersHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
You know that's not true and you know it. He obviously isn't going to come out and say "Well I picked the US because it'll help my draft status and my own career, I'm really not American", that would be stupid. There is simply no chance a person who wasn't even in school when he left identifies with the country.

The fact is, before Galchenyuk made his decision, AmericanDream always said Galchenyuk was American at heart and tried to argue he spend a large amount of time there (Before Russian posters came on and confirmed he had lived in Russia for the majority of his life). That's why I posted, and people that remember his post can see how much his arguement has changed.

Tyler Myers is a horrible example. It wasn't a buiseness decision, it was, in his own words, to thank Canada because he wouldn't have been a hockey player if he never moved to Canada. Galchenyuk's is clearly a buisness move, because Larionov would not have told him to pick the US for any other reason.

Nedved and Stastny defected to Canada, which in Statsnys case, he could not play for Czechoslovakia (He later played for Slovakia in the mid 90s after), and he obtained Canadian citizenship because he felt partially Canadian after his defection. This is also true for Nedved. Galchenyuk on the other hand has only lived 1 year in the US since he was a toddler before moving to Sarnia when he was drafted. All 3 of your examples owe their NHL careers to Canada, Galchenyuk owes none of his career to the United States beyond allowing him to bypass the import draft.

And where am I finding fault in his decision? It really doesn't matter to me. I just made an obeservation AmericanDream had changed his arguement from Galchenyuk identifying as an American to Galchenyuk following whats best for his career.



Someone calls Galchenyuk something other than only American and here you are as usual. same boring song and dance.
Oh brother....

BeersHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:30 AM
  #128
Nullus Reverentia
Registered User
 
Nullus Reverentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Periphery
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 17,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeersHockey View Post
Oh brother....
Why would either of them played for Canada? Especially Nedved, who could have played for his country again (And he did). No, they played for Canada as a token of appreciation for helping them leave their home countries and because they felt Canadian then. Both had to get Canadian citizenship, Galchenyuk wa born there but moved out shortly after.

Nullus Reverentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:00 AM
  #129
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 21,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
Why would either of them played for Canada? Especially Nedved, who could have played for his country again (And he did). No, they played for Canada as a token of appreciation for helping them leave their home countries and because they felt Canadian then. Both had to get Canadian citizenship, Galchenyuk wa born there but moved out shortly after.
So what you're really trying to say is these deep-rooted feelings of patriotism only manifest themselves when Canada is involved.....

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:01 AM
  #130
Nullus Reverentia
Registered User
 
Nullus Reverentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Periphery
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 17,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
So what you're really trying to say is these deep-rooted feelings of patriotism only manifest themselves when Canada is involved.....
Entirely different situations.

Nullus Reverentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:18 PM
  #131
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 11,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post


Galchenyuk spend 7 straight years (2002-2009) in Dynamo Moscow's system.
he has played as many years in the US...so whats your point?

and he was playing in Chicago in 2009...


Last edited by AmericanDream: 03-29-2012 at 05:23 PM.
AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:31 PM
  #132
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 11,884
vCash: 500
its pretty funny how certain trolls want to rip on Galchenyuk for his decision to pick the USA if he so chooses, while guys like Oleksiak and Myers exploited the process and picked the side that would best benefit them professionally for life.

Oleksiak and Tyler Myers picked Canada because they felt it was the quickest path to the top. plain and simple. they did not pick that way because of some deep patriotic belief they had (according to a few that belief cannot possibly exsist with Galchenyuk).

Oleksiak spent plenty of years in the US before he made that decision, and Myers was in the US for half of his life before he picked Canada.

For anyone to say anything against what Galchenyuk is doing, needs not look any further to Oleksiak and Myers as their decisions where the decisions that benefited them individually the most. and at the end of the day that is their right and their right alone. I do not look down on Tyler Myers or Jamie Oleksiak, they had the right to pick between two nations and they chose the one that they felt would benefit them the most.

nothing more to see here...move on already.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:38 PM
  #133
ed bruin
Registered User
 
ed bruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Newton
Country: United States
Posts: 1,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
its pretty funny how certain trolls want to rip on Galchenyuk for his decision to pick the USA if he so chooses, while guys like Oleksiak and Myers exploited the process and picked the side that would best benefit them professionally for life.

Oleksiak and Tyler Myers picked Canada because they felt it was the quickest path to the top. plain and simple. they did not pick that way because of some deep patriotic belief they had (according to a few that belief cannot possibly exsist with Galchenyuk).

Oleksiak spent plenty of years in the US before he made that decision, and Myers was in the US for half of his life before he picked Canada.

For anyone to say anything against what Galchenyuk is doing, needs not look any further to Oleksiak and Myers as their decisions where the decisions that benefited them individually the most. and at the end of the day that is their right and their right alone. I do not look down on Tyler Myers or Jamie Oleksiak, they had the right to pick between two nations and they chose the one that they felt would benefit them the most.

nothing more to see here...move on already.
yeah it was pretty lame Oleksiak left Northeastern to the Juniors just to "fast track" his development. On a personal note I'm from the Boston area and know a lot people who tried to get into Northeastern and got rejected while kids like Oleksiak just go to a good school on a whim and just leave lame... I agree 100% that Oleksiak changed to Canada to better himself.

ed bruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:44 PM
  #134
Nullus Reverentia
Registered User
 
Nullus Reverentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Periphery
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 17,421
vCash: 500
It's already been said why Myers picked Canada. He felt if he never moved to Canada at age 11 he would have never been a hockey player. It wasn't the "fastest way to the top", and Oleksiak spent nearly his entire life in Canada before going to the USHL. Niether were because they thought it would help their career. Canada had already helped Myers career and Canada had already developed Oleksiak.

Those are completely different than Galchenyuk. Galchenyuk was born in the US to a Belarussian hockey player and IIRC a Russian mother, they left at age 4 (Galchenyuk likely hadn't even started to learn English yet) than settled in Russia a couple years later. He has a Russian passport, learned to play hockey in Russia and spent many years in CSKA's system before leaving for Chicago at age 15, and than leaving for Sarnia at age 16 (Where his family is settling down). He has no American family, he has only played 1 year of hockey in the US, he retains a Russian agent, and he speaks Russian at home. The only similarity between Galchenyuk and Myers/Oleksiak, is citizenship.

Nullus Reverentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:58 PM
  #135
J17 Vs Proclamation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Reading.
Country: South Korea
Posts: 8,013
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
AmericanDream is rarely rational, but in this instance, he does have an underlying point behind the expected patriotic drivel.

Galchenyuk can do as he pleases, because it is technical right to do so. He clearly owes alot to both nations in regards to his hockey development (Something AD shockingly disputes), but i fail to see why there is always incessant arguing over his nationality. None of you really understand his motives or if the given quotes are true, or simply created for the media. It doesn't really matter.

He's apparently playing for the US. That is it. Deal with it. Outside of Russian fans who may be irked that they lost a potential talent, why would anyone seriously care? He decided upon something he is allowed to do.

A random man in the supermarket doesn't start screaming at me because i decided to purchase white bread instead of brown bread.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 06:04 PM
  #136
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 11,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
It's already been said why Myers picked Canada. He felt if he never moved to Canada at age 11 he would have never been a hockey player. It wasn't the "fastest way to the top", and Oleksiak spent nearly his entire life in Canada before going to the USHL. Niether were because they thought it would help their career. Canada had already helped Myers career and Canada had already developed Oleksiak.

Those are completely different than Galchenyuk. Galchenyuk was born in the US to a Belarussian hockey player and IIRC a Russian mother, they left at age 4 (Galchenyuk likely hadn't even started to learn English yet) than settled in Russia a couple years later. He has a Russian passport, learned to play hockey in Russia and spent many years in CSKA's system before leaving for Chicago at age 15, and than leaving for Sarnia at age 16 (Where his family is settling down). He has no American family, he has only played 1 year of hockey in the US, he retains a Russian agent, and he speaks Russian at home. The only similarity between Galchenyuk and Myers/Oleksiak, is citizenship.
almost every attempt at a fact you have is completely and utterly incorrect. I will no longer have to read this drivel as you are now on my ignore list! after the only 1 year of US hockey was the last straw I could take..

thank the lords above.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 06:14 PM
  #137
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 11,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
AmericanDream is rarely rational, but in this instance, he does have an underlying point behind the expected patriotic drivel.

Galchenyuk can do as he pleases, because it is technical right to do so. He clearly owes alot to both nations in regards to his hockey development (Something AD shockingly disputes), but i fail to see why there is always incessant arguing over his nationality. None of you really understand his motives or if the given quotes are true, or simply created for the media. It doesn't really matter.

He's apparently playing for the US. That is it. Deal with it. Outside of Russian fans who may be irked that they lost a potential talent, why would anyone seriously care? He decided upon something he is allowed to do.

A random man in the supermarket doesn't start screaming at me because i decided to purchase white bread instead of brown bread.
ummmm, thanks I guess...

Galchenyuk has spent years all over the world and owes no particular nation anything. he has the right to choose which side he wants to play for.

when I first met the kid he had a thick accent, was kind of shy, and his family in the stands really didnt act like they wanted anything to do with the US.

but as time went on and as I continued to talk with him over a 2 year span, you could really see the kid coming out of a shell and that when he spoke of this country it went from "this country" to "my country" so my opinion of him drastically changed.

what people know little of is the fact that Alex does indeed have family rooted in Chicago, a bunch of them actually. he usually had over 20 family members a game at his CYA games..some where neighbors and friends, but he did have a lot of family which was cool for him.

Alex is born in the United States. Alex has spent over 5 years in the United States. This kid has every right to pick the United States if he so deems, and anyone trying to make a case against this or knocking it is another guy who still calls Brett Hull a traitor. In todays day and age of melting pots, who cares why they pick what country to play for, just as long as they have that right.

Tyler Myers simply did not have that right to play for Canada. He had no birth right from Canada and was already developing as a hockey player in Texas by the time he got there. He picked a nation because he became a citizen not because of his birth right. that is something I will never fully respect, but I understand his motive. Myers took less crap on these boards when he did this, yet it is ironic that some of the people making a bigger deal out of Galchenyuk and his decisions hold no stock in this at all: a Canadian poster.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 06:50 PM
  #138
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 21,172
vCash: 500
I actually blame USA Hockey for the Myers and Oleksiak situations. If they would have played ball at the U18 and U20 level respectfully both would be suiting up for the U.S.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 06:50 PM
  #139
Nullus Reverentia
Registered User
 
Nullus Reverentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Periphery
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 17,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
almost every attempt at a fact you have is completely and utterly incorrect. I will no longer have to read this drivel as you are now on my ignore list! after the only 1 year of US hockey was the last straw I could take..

thank the lords above.


What an unsurprisingly reply from AmericanDream. He knows everything I said was right, and instead of doing what you usally do and trying to beat around the bush and ignore arguements that people bring up (It's not just me it's with almost everyone you get into a converstation with), he decides to deny it and ignore me.

I could care less, because I'm still going to reply anyway, and point out how laughable everything he says is. Galchenyuk HAS only played 1 year of hockey in the United States. He left the US at age 4, and that fact comes straight from his own mouth. He has played ONE year in the US, in 09-10 when he played in the Chicago minor hockey system. Prior to that, as Russian posters with confirm, he played in Russia.

And the thing he said in that last post that birth country is the most important thing, which is an absoulute joke. That logic must mean Paul Statsny should have played for Canada right, or that Brett Hull should have played for Canada (Nope AmericanDream will argue Hull was more American than Canadian as well despite being born in Canada and playing most of his hockey in Canada ). Tyler Myers has said, numerous times, that he would have likely quit hockey if he never moved to Canada, and he owes Canada for his career. Why should Myers have got flack for his decision?

The American bias from him everytime and is found in every thread you post in. And it's hilarious. I'm happy you ignored me, now I don't have to deal with your beat-around-the-bush replies every time I point out your bias.

Nullus Reverentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 06:53 PM
  #140
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 11,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I actually blame USA Hockey for the Myers and Oleksiak situations. If they would have played ball at the U18 and U20 level respectfully both would be suiting up for the U.S.
didnt you argue against me on that point?

I was making a case to pick Oleksiak for that simple fact that he would be locked into USA Hockey, and I thought you were against that saying you want kids that want to play for USA and for us to not have to lock these kids in... maybe that was Bonney I dont remember..

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 06:58 PM
  #141
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 21,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
didnt you argue against me on that point?

I was making a case to pick Oleksiak for that simple fact that he would be locked into USA Hockey, and I thought you were against that saying you want kids that want to play for USA and for us to not have to lock these kids in... maybe that was Bonney I dont remember..
If I recall correctly I think I basically said "who cares." Maybe blame is too strong a word, but if Myers would have made the U18s and Oleksiak the U20s all of this would be moot. In a way, that shows what type of mercs these kids are-and that's fine.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 07:07 PM
  #142
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 11,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
If I recall correctly I think I basically said "who cares." Maybe blame is too strong a word, but if Myers would have made the U18s and Oleksiak the U20s all of this would be moot. In a way, that shows what type of mercs these kids are-and that's fine.
maybe your right, I dunno...too much booze over the years.

it is the sad part of sports now a days, loyalty or patriotism mean little when it comes to personal gain.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:53 PM
  #143
Zine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rostov-on-Don
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
he has played as many years in the US...so whats your point?

and he was playing in Chicago in 2009...
What's my point? You said Galchenyuk doesn't owe much to Russia in terms of his development.
That's blatantly false as he spent 7 years in being developed by Dynamo Moscow (2002-03 season to 2008-09).

And, please tell, when did he play as many years in America? What seasons?

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 06:07 AM
  #144
ozo
Registered User
 
ozo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Latvia
Posts: 3,318
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
2008-09.
Sorry for quoting you, but this really is a interesting case. Where did he really played in season 2008/2009? If Zine and others who claim that he spent only one season in Chicago (09/10 season with Young Americans in MWEHL) is right an he indeed was still in Russia at the time, Galchenyuk would be ineligible for USA national team in IIHF tournaments. Alex needs two consecutive season played in USA in order to become eligible, the fact that he played for USA in Hlinka tournament doesn't matter as that isn't an IIHF tournament. This requirement obviously means that he isn't eligible for Belarus either.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 06:24 AM
  #145
pouskin74*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Swansea, UK
Posts: 4,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
You know that's not true and you know it. He obviously isn't going to come out and say "Well I picked the US because it'll help my draft status and my own career, I'm really not American", that would be stupid. There is simply no chance a person who wasn't even in school when he left identifies with the country.
Please, dont choke people! Everyone dream about to being an american!

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 06:31 AM
  #146
pouskin74*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Swansea, UK
Posts: 4,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post

Russia is not a hockey power like Canada, they simply are not. if a player is having the choice of USA or Russia, its not the same as a player who has to pick between US and Canada. Canada is the power and everyone wants to play for the winner, thats why we lose kids now a days.


simply put, the drama usually follows the Russians wherever they go. a kid like Galchenyuk who really doesnt owe much to Russia in terms of his development really doesnt have that hard of a choice to make...Russia or the US.
No way, USA lose kids because they have no pride whatsoever and Galchenyuk owes 100 times more to Russia than to USA in terms of hockey development. NB- Everyone wants to play for Canada?? What a nonsense!

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 06:39 AM
  #147
pouskin74*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Swansea, UK
Posts: 4,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
he has played as many years in the US...so whats your point?
Kovalchuk and many other players are in NA 10 years and more, so probably Canada and USA made them Galchenyuk played in Russian junior system from age 8 till 15! You dont know what that mean in terms of hockey development?

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:07 AM
  #148
Zine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rostov-on-Don
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
Sorry for quoting you, but this really is a interesting case. Where did he really played in season 2008/2009? If Zine and others who claim that he spent only one season in Chicago (09/10 season with Young Americans in MWEHL) is right an he indeed was still in Russia at the time, Galchenyuk would be ineligible for USA national team in IIHF tournaments. Alex needs two consecutive season played in USA in order to become eligible, the fact that he played for USA in Hlinka tournament doesn't matter as that isn't an IIHF tournament. This requirement obviously means that he isn't eligible for Belarus either.
He played for Moscow in the 2008-09 district championships, so he couldn't have played a full season in NA that year.

http://hockey.penza.net/game.asp?Cur...226&language=e


But I also remember hearing a USA representative say Galchenyuk was eligible for USA internationally.
Regardless, I think they'll find some loophole in IIHF regulations to let him play.


Last edited by Zine: 03-30-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:21 AM
  #149
ozo
Registered User
 
ozo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Latvia
Posts: 3,318
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
He played for Moscow in the 2008-09 district championships, so he couldn't have played a full season in NA that year.

http://hockey.penza.net/game.asp?Cur...226&language=e


But I also remember hearing a USA representative say Galchenyuk was eligible for USA internationally.
Regardless, I think they'll find some loophole in IIHF regulations to let him play.
That district championship consisted of only five games, thus this tournament could of well be played out in a week in August, before season even NA begins.

But yeah, IIHF will find a loophole, big nations nations always gets what they want. If Russia made Nabokov eligible, then Galchenyuk isn't that big of a deal really.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:08 PM
  #150
ecemleafs
Registered User
 
ecemleafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 14,128
vCash: 500
a loop hole might be that the OHL has american based teams. so he technically has been playing in the united states the past 2 season the ohl.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.