HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

YOUR COUNTRY'S 2012/2013 World Junior Team

Old
03-30-2012, 01:35 PM
ozo

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
a loop hole might be that the OHL has american based teams. so he technically has been playing in the united states the past 2 season the ohl.
It won't do. He should of played for Saginaw, Plymouth or Erie to become eligible for USA.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 04:31 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

I asked USA Hockey Jim Johannson honcho about Galchenyuk's status via e-mail and he confirmed he is eligible for U.S. national teams.

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:03 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
It won't do. He should of played for Saginaw, Plymouth or Erie to become eligible for USA.
he plays those teams in league play. so he plays in the united states in his junior league's play. sounds like a pretty legitimate loophole to me.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:15 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
Xavier's good but our D will be stacked
Ouellet seems like the perfect 6th dman on that team. Hes defense first, but has shown he can put up big points. He can play physical a bit as well. Hes that jack of all trades kind of guy that could fill in on a PP if someone like Murphy gets hurt, or he can PK because of his strong defensive play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
There's no way in hell Xavier Ouellet doesn't make it for Team Canada. This year he's on par with Gormley, Gauthier-Leduc and Beaulieu and he's just 18 years old.
If his game develops even further, he should make it easily I would think. His offense is on par with most guys but his defensive play and versatility will be what gets him a spot. I dont see how Harrington can make that team and not Xavier really, I know Harrington played last year but I really think Ouellet is better

Last edited by newfy: 03-30-2012 at 05:21 PM.
newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:17 PM
WeissFC
@WeissFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I asked USA Hockey Jim Johannson honcho about Galchenyuk's status via e-mail and he confirmed he is eligible for U.S. national teams.
Yeah he's elgibile because he was born when Alexander Galchenyuk was playing for the Milwaukee Admirals in the IHL. USA Hockey sure benefits from professional players having their kids over here, especially recently.

WeissFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:24 PM
ozo

Quote:
he plays those teams in league play. so he plays in the united states in his junior league's play. sounds like a pretty legitimate loophole to me.
There are leagues consisting from teams from multiple countries in Europe too, and IIHF hasn't made a single exception because of that ever. There isn't a loophole. If there was a NHL franchise in Mexico, it wouldn't make every NHL player Mexico eligible.

Old
03-30-2012, 05:30 PM
ozo

Quote:
You should better asked where Galchenyuk spent 2008/09 season. You would think hockey federations know their players but they doesn't, just before this WJC, IIHF crossed Russian player from roster just before the tournament. Took everyone by surprise.

Btw, what is a "honcho"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeissFC View Post
Yeah he's elgibile because he was born when Alexander Galchenyuk was playing for the Milwaukee Admirals in the IHL. USA Hockey sure benefits from professional players having their kids over here, especially recently.
Birthplace means nothing for IIHF. Wolski, Regehr aren't Poland and Brazil eligible without passport and two consecutive seasons spent in respective countries.

Old
03-30-2012, 05:58 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
You should better asked where Galchenyuk spent 2008/09 season. You would think hockey federations know their players but they doesn't, just before this WJC, IIHF crossed Russian player from roster just before the tournament. Took everyone by surprise.

Btw, what is a "honcho"?

Birthplace means nothing for IIHF. Wolski, Regehr aren't Poland and Brazil eligible without passport and two consecutive seasons spent in respective countries.
Jim Johannson is the Assistant Executive Director of hockey operations for USA Hockey and is heavily involved in international hockey. I'm sure he knows what he's talking about here.

Old
03-30-2012, 05:59 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
No denying that. A ton of NHL players tend to settle in the cities they played in, marry locals, raise families, etc. USA Hockey definately benefits.

Old
03-30-2012, 06:28 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Jim Johannson is the Assistant Executive Director of hockey operations for USA Hockey and is heavily involved in international hockey. I'm sure he knows what he's talking about here.
they wouldnt have brought him along for the Hlinka Tournament if he couldnt play for the US at future events. this discussion is really becoming pointless as it just seems like the same thing over and over again...

if Sarnia gets bounced, Galchenyuk suits up for the US, and that would end all discussion period.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 06:29 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
No denying that. A ton of NHL players tend to settle in the cities they played in, marry locals, raise families, etc. USA Hockey definately benefits.
I am waiting for that to happen in the reverse. More US players are playing on Canadian teams...if they marry in Canada and birth some children there, things could get interesting.

though it seems when players from Canada are done with their careers or whatever, more tend to stay in the US then US players living in Canada...I just dont know how many US players would stay in Canada when their careers are over..

Old
03-30-2012, 08:19 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
Quote:
The OHL with the rest of the CHL is sanctioned by Hockey Canada so the "loophole" you are mentioning doesn't apply because USA Hockey has nothing to do with Saginaw, Plymouth, and Erie in that sense

SPORTSMANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:42 PM
WeissFC
@WeissFC

Quote:

Btw, what is a "honcho"?

What are you talking about? Birthplace means everything to the IIHF. If you were born in a country, you have citzenship in that country, thus you can represent that country in international competition.

Last edited by WeissFC: 03-30-2012 at 08:58 PM.
WeissFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:09 PM
Slitty

Quote:
What are you talking about? Birthplace means everything to the IIHF. If you were born in a country, you have citzenship in that country, thus you can represent that country in international competition.
Page 30 of IIHF Statues and Bylaws:
http://www.iihf.com/fileadmin/user_u...and_Bylaws.pdf

Quote:
1.7 When a player has multiple citizenship where the relevant citizenships are for countries of
member national associations and he has never represented any country in any IIHF
championship or an Olympic competition or in qualifications to these competitions, then in
order to play for the country of his choice he must
a) prove that he has participated for at least two consecutive years in the national
competitions of and resident in the country that he wishes to represent during which
period he has neither transferred to another country nor played ice hockey within any
other country and
b) if the country of his choice is one to which the player has transferred then he must
have had an IIHF international transfer card approved and dated by the IIHF at least
two years prior to his proposed participation.

Slitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:56 PM
William H Bonney

I've asked Chris Peters - former USA Hockey employee that was the lead media contact for the 2010 IIHF U-18 Team - regarding Alex's eligibility and he indicated that USA Hockey has already confirmed he's eligible.

USA Hockey wouldn't have continued to pursue Galchenyuk, nor would his family and advisers led him to a ship he couldn't board, without both doing their due diligence. The international results for USA Hockey may sometimes be embarrassing but USA Hockey is smart enough to have pursued this angle already, and those actually connected to the situation have verified they did.

03-30-2012, 10:00 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
Quote:
I believe you are correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitty View Post
Page 30 of IIHF Statues and Bylaws:
http://www.iihf.com/fileadmin/user_u...and_Bylaws.pdf
I think these rules are for example a Canadian lets say goes plays in Switzerland and after a few years gets a citizenship to Switzerland and wants to represent the Swiss at international competitions

SPORTSMANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 09:05 AM
ozo

Quote:
Seriously? How many times I really have to point out Wolski's example.? He's born in Poland and is Polish citizen, but he still isn't eligible for Poland without two consecutive ****ing years played in Poland. Citizenship in today's world is worthless, you can pick up Qatari, Italian, Polish passports up for free on every corner. Yeah, it's an IIHF requirement, bit it's hardly an obstacle. Btw, there even are countries that doesn't give citizenship to kids born in its territory if at least of the kids parent isn't a citizen of said country.

If you guys, have confirmed that G is eligible, I'm satisfied with it, but I would simply like to know where did he spend 08/09 season. I've tried googling it and found nothing.

Old
03-31-2012, 09:08 AM
ozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORTSMANIAC View Post
I think these rules are for example a Canadian lets say goes plays in Switzerland and after a few years gets a citizenship to Switzerland and wants to represent the Swiss at international competitions
Or for example a Russian, we'll call him Alex Galchenyuk, let's say goes to US and he has US citizenship and wants to represent team US at international competitions.

Old
03-31-2012, 10:17 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Or for example a Russian, we'll call him Alex Galchenyuk, let's say goes to US and he has US citizenship and wants to represent team US at international competitions.
Galy has US citizenship because HE WAS BORN THERE...not sure why this is hard to understand.

your making it out that later in his life he went to the US and got citizenship...he was born with it.

Last edited by AmericanDream: 03-31-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old
03-31-2012, 10:44 AM
orangeandblack

This is a stupid argument. In this day and age numerous countries benefit from dual citizens, it's not a one way street where only the US reaps the rewards. Just off the top of my Canadian WJC teams rostered Tyler Myers, Brandon Kozun, Jamie Oleksiak, Sean Couturier and Marcus Foligno. I believe all born in the US and trained for a period of time in the US. Right now with the 96s the US may lose out on 3 dual citizens in Daniel Audette, Willie Nylander and Kasperi Kapanen. Jokie Ryan was all set to play for Sweden, now he's only US eligible. The list and the examples go on and on.

As far as Galchenyuk. My understanding is that he is dual citizen of the US and Belarus, so that would effectively throw any Russian eligibility out the window. So if that is true, who would you want to rep internationally? A top hockey nation like the US, or a smaller country in Belarus?

orangeandblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:08 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblack View Post
This is a stupid argument. In this day and age numerous countries benefit from dual citizens, it's not a one way street where only the US reaps the rewards. Just off the top of my Canadian WJC teams rostered Tyler Myers, Brandon Kozun, Jamie Oleksiak, Sean Couturier and Marcus Foligno. I believe all born in the US and trained for a period of time in the US. Right now with the 96s the US may lose out on 3 dual citizens in Daniel Audette, Willie Nylander and Kasperi Kapanen. Jokie Ryan was all set to play for Sweden, now he's only US eligible. The list and the examples go on and on.

As far as Galchenyuk. My understanding is that he is dual citizen of the US and Belarus, so that would effectively throw any Russian eligibility out the window. So if that is true, who would you want to rep internationally? A top hockey nation like the US, or a smaller country in Belarus?
I still havent seen a single point of evidence that he has Russian citizenship myself...have argued that for a while...but I dont care anymore..seems more like a soap opera then anything.

Old
03-31-2012, 11:18 AM
ozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
Galy has US citizenship because HE WAS BORN THERE...not sure why this is hard to understand.

your making it out that later in his life he went to the US and got citizenship...he was born with it.

I'm not. That's way I reworded my version of the quoted post like I did.

It doesn't matter when he got that passport (15 years or 15 minutes ago), because the real requirement is those two consecutive years! How many times I have to point that out? Please, for the love God, can somebody find where did he play in 08/09 season?

Old
03-31-2012, 11:28 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

he was in Chicago in 2009. he spent 2 years here his last with CYA.

though I thought I heard he also played on the East Coast (Florida maybe) parts of 08-09...not sure

Last edited by AmericanDream: 03-31-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old
03-31-2012, 12:20 PM
ozo

Quote:
though I thought I heard he also played on the East Coast (Florida maybe) parts of 08-09...not sure
That's my point, I can't find anything about that season. Nor CYA, nor Sting mentions anything about his previous years before the 09-10.

Even yourself mention him already as a Chicago player here - http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...97&postcount=4 Being a talant he obviously is, he should of ripped apart the league he previously played as well. In NA you guys pick up on talant really early, so it is kinda weird that internet/hfboards doesn't mention him at all at the time.

Old
03-31-2012, 12:35 PM
Zine

Quote:
I still havent seen a single point of evidence that he has Russian citizenship myself...have argued that for a while...but I dont care anymore..seems more like a soap opera then anything.

Galchenyuk verifies he has both American and Russian citizenship in this interview.

http://www.sports.ru/hockey/80180113.html

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote