Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2012, 01:19 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
i would love to sit down with noel and hear his thoughts on auntie mietinnen....he is in love with that guy and i cant figure out why....he plays him in absolutely crucial offensive situations

....and then on the flip side, why he hates burmistrov so much....yeah he makes a bad pass every once in a while, but ladd does that practically every shift....burmi seems to get punished for every wrong move while guys who go 40 games without a goal are playing power plays in the third period down a goal in a playoff race.

i must be missing something.

why jones and not clitsome or flood is beyond me as well.....can we do a package, fehr, mietennen, jones deal?...
It' probably has something to do with the fact that Noel is party to a LOT more information than you. Like, a LOT.

There are tonnes more things to consider about who plays where and when than just favoritism.

People don't seem to grasp that matchups have a lot to do with the way players play. Burmistrov was brought into the league far too soon. Noel and staff is doing the right thing by letting the kid practice a lot, and trying to put him in positions to succeed, not fail.

Sure you could put Burmistrov on the first line but he would get eaten alive by matchups. Just slaughtered. He is too inexperienced, and immature mentally and physically to take on more right now.

The Jones Clitsome thing is a call many coaches make. Its a way of respecting your players. If you don't respect your players they won't respect you and ask a coach what happens then? Jones (aside from last night) has been rock solid for the Jets. He has been a plus in games where pretty much no one else is. He has killed penalties well and battled.

I fully expect Clitsome to draw in after Jones game last night, and I am wholly certain Jones does too, and completely understands it. If Jones plays his ass off, gets results and gets scratched after being a soldier for this team all year, it sends a negative message to the entire team.

I know you have a hate on for Miettenen but he is a veteran with lots of pro experience. He can handle the matchups that a younger player cannot. you have to manage your roster in a realistic way, this is not NHL 12, here. Different lines present different challenges. You also have to think about team and player development as you are playing games. You are not only playing for now, in the moment, you are playing for the future.

03-25-2012, 01:22 PM
Klaus
Teemu!

vCash: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPAir View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...042355185.html

In last night's game in Nashville about a dozen Thrashers jerseys were thrown on the ice.

I suppose Atlanta fans were trying to make a statement here but i'm not sure if thats really the right thing to do.

Having lost the Jets 1.0 i know the frustration, anger and sadness that the true fans go through. But even during the darkest days when it looked as though we would never ever have an NHL team again in Winnipeg, I would never have thought to thrown my old jersey away, even in protest. At that time i looked back on the old Jets days with fond memories, and cherished my old Jets gear.
It's definetly not something I would do but if that's what gives them closure then more power to 'em imo.

Old
03-25-2012, 01:37 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
It' probably has something to do with the fact that Noel is party to a LOT more information than you. Like, a LOT.

There are tonnes more things to consider about who plays where and when than just favoritism.

People don't seem to grasp that matchups have a lot to do with the way players play. Burmistrov was brought into the league far too soon. Noel and staff is doing the right thing by letting the kid practice a lot, and trying to put him in positions to succeed, not fail.

Sure you could put Burmistrov on the first line but he would get eaten alive by matchups. Just slaughtered. He is too inexperienced, and immature mentally and physically to take on more right now.

The Jones Clitsome thing is a call many coaches make. Its a way of respecting your players. If you don't respect your players they won't respect you and ask a coach what happens then? Jones (aside from last night) has been rock solid for the Jets. He has been a plus in games where pretty much no one else is. He has killed penalties well and battled.

I fully expect Clitsome to draw in after Jones game last night, and I am wholly certain Jones does too, and completely understands it. If Jones plays his ass off, gets results and gets scratched after being a soldier for this team all year, it sends a negative message to the entire team.

I know you have a hate on for Miettenen but he is a veteran with lots of pro experience. He can handle the matchups that a younger player cannot. you have to manage your roster in a realistic way, this is not NHL 12, here. Different lines present different challenges. You also have to think about team and player development as you are playing games. You are not only playing for now, in the moment, you are playing for the future.
oh come on jet....i know you love mitennen for some bizarre reason but that is a bit rich....when you have a powerplay and you are one goal down with 5 minutes left in the third of a game that holds the season in the balance, you are playing for the moment, not the future.

mitennen has had 38 games to prove his worth and he has not....i find it mind boggling that anyone could defend his play.....he should never ever see powerplay time....ever.

in my opinion, he should not have even seen the ice in the third period of this game.....noel plays him in situations where goals are more important than defensive line matching....that is what i dont get.....how often do you go to the well with someone who clearly cant find water?

i understand that burmistrov needs to be brought along carefully but it is pretty easy to see an inconstancy with his treatment....playing on the 4th line for 3/4 of the year is not developing for the future in my opinion....how is that putting him in the position to succeed?....its the exact opposite...its asking him to do something that he doesnt do.....

benching him for doing things that others on his team are exponentially more guilty of doesn't make any sense to me....he's a professional hockey player, not a child.

Last edited by peter sullivan: 03-25-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old
03-25-2012, 01:45 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Or, at just 20 years old he is likely still a player that can be coached, molded and shaped into that player you/me/the organization wants him to be.

I think some are far to eager to toss a 20 year old over the side of the boat. The grass isn't always greener on the other side (new player).

Maybe we could trade Kane for an already molded and groomed player who is of better fit, I just don't think we should give up on Kane just yet. I think we should work with him , coach him, mold and shape him how we want. Perhaps this isn't doable, but i'd like to give it more than ONE season to find out.
i dont think anyone is giving up on him....im certainly not...he is a very skilled player with a huge upside....this is a team that needs some key pieces and it is hard to get that for nothing.

he is a great player, but in my opinion his skill set will not make him the rounded player that a team with such little depth needs....our best player needs to be a guy we can put out in the shootout...he needs to be a guy we put out on key power plays and in the last minute of key games....i just dont see kane being that guy in the future....if we had guys like that then i would say keep him and see what he turns into...but we dont have that and we need it more than we do a guy with kane's skill set.

in a perfect world i would love to keep him...with the right line mates he could be amazing....but we dont have that to offer him....

he is an important part of this team but i think he can be translated into someone that is even more important...someone who fills more holes than just the one that he does....he is so one dimensional....and in my opinion always will be.....our depth up front dictates that we need our best players to do more than one thing.

Old
03-25-2012, 02:03 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Quote:

i understand that burmistrov needs to be brought along carefully but it is pretty easy to see an inconstancy with his treatment....playing on the 4th line for 3/4 of the year is not developing for the future in my opinion....benching him for doing things that others on his team are exponentially more guilty of doesn't make any sense to me....he's a professional hockey player, not a child.
This line sums up exactly why Burmi is getting shorted on ice time. This is not a developmental league.

Like you, I thought it was strange that Alex was getting shafted when others who had similar performance issues were getting fed icetime. Now it's becoming more and more apparent, and it has been since January; he kills the puck possession game.

Being able to spin around and juke defenders might create the illusion that he helps in that regard, but he continually severs his supports in the offensive zone by doing that. Also, it never ceases to amaze me how often he makes a good turn into a high % area, only to squirm his way back out. Timmy Stapleton, even though he's often a main offender in that regard, seems to understand how to get between the dots better than Burmi.

I love Burmistrov's tools and upside, but he's too often a liability for a team that want to play a solid puck possession game (which IMO is the way winning teams need to play).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I know you've been a big supporter of the guy, so we might not be able to find common ground here. For me, he adds precious little more than an AHL defenseman. He's a good penalty killer and shot blocker, and that's it. The rest is dime-a-dozen stuff, and some in fact is below that (mobility, ability to get shots through, ability to coordinate a rush up-ice).

I understand rewarding guys that have battled and that are respected guys in the locker room, but I see that being a "tiebreaker" between two equal guys. It's about winning games, and I have absolutely no question in my mind that Clitsome gives us a better chance of winning than Jones, however small that margin may be.

Old
03-25-2012, 02:27 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

^ hank, i agree with you....i just see a lot of other players (ladd) making equally bad decisions with no consequence.....and i dont see how playing him with the AHL players du jour for most of the season helps that situation.

one last thing to add about kane related to burmistrov.

when i look at a guy like burmistrov, i see a kid who makes some real brainfart moves, but i also see a guy who could in 3 years be a quarterback on the powerplay, an anchor on the penalty kill and a guy who can control the game in important situations.....a team with such little depth needs their best players to be multi-dimensional like that.

i do not see that in kane's future...i see him being a one dimensional guy who probably scores 10 more goals a year than burmistrov but doesnt contribute nearly as much at the key times and in other facets of the game.

that is why i think we should turn his present trade value into something that will fill those holes, if not now at least in the future.....he is important to us, but what he brings could be way more important to other teams....because of this, i think we could become a stronger team by trading him for pieces that fit our needs better.

we cant have our best player on the bench with 1 minute to go in the 74th game....that is the crux of my argument.....in my mind kane always will be....even if does score 40 goals a year.

Last edited by peter sullivan: 03-25-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old
03-25-2012, 02:34 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

I see your points peter sullivan, and I do think they are valid. But, I think we can get some of those all-around players or players who specialize in certain areas in other ways rather than giving up a 30 goal scoring 20 year old, who I still believe has untapped potential. My opinion stands at we need to ADD to this team rather than trade parts off such as Kane to help fill other voids.

And, for a team lacking goal scorers, trading one away such as Kane is silly at this point. Again, my opinion of course. I know you would want to replace Kane (with a player), but for this team this season, without Kane's nearly 30 goals, we're the lowest scoring team in the Eastern Conference.

03-25-2012, 02:47 PM
PaperRockChamp

Kane's value is nowhere near it will be in the next few years. What do we want in return for Kane? A young, 'elite' power forward. Isn't that exactly what he is projected to turn into?
-------
I suggest, let the coaching staff correct his development path. Same goes for Burmistrov... great individual efforts on the PK, has the heart, you can tell he WANTS to play/win but he is a offense-killer at this point. Too much of the time, he is handling the puck near the boards or with his back to the net.

These two are going to be key players for us if they aren't already.

Old
03-25-2012, 03:43 PM
surixon

Quote:
i dont think anyone is giving up on him....im certainly not...he is a very skilled player with a huge upside....this is a team that needs some key pieces and it is hard to get that for nothing.

he is a great player, but in my opinion his skill set will not make him the rounded player that a team with such little depth needs....our best player needs to be a guy we can put out in the shootout...he needs to be a guy we put out on key power plays and in the last minute of key games....i just dont see kane being that guy in the future....if we had guys like that then i would say keep him and see what he turns into...but we dont have that and we need it more than we do a guy with kane's skill set.

in a perfect world i would love to keep him...with the right line mates he could be amazing....but we dont have that to offer him....

he is an important part of this team but i think he can be translated into someone that is even more important...someone who fills more holes than just the one that he does....he is so one dimensional....and in my opinion always will be.....our depth up front dictates that we need our best players to do more than one thing.
Who would that person be? If that's your opinion of him, why would gms give up a better piece for him? Maybe Kane will never be an elite pker but that's fine in my mind, his job is to play physical and score goals which he already does at a high level despite being only 20. The fact of the matter is that if you trade him your not going to get an equivalent player back. Your either going to get a prospect package or a couple of lessor players. You have it wrong, on a team with little depth the absolute last thing you do is trade away talent to get that depth. I agree with Guerzy that we can acquire depth in other ways. Talent is much harder to acquire than role players. There are a number of third liners on the market every year that can be had for nothing that can do the jobs that you want done.

Old
03-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Wpgpage

If you trade the elite 30 goal sniper you immediately start looking for another 30 goal sniper. I know he does not play a complete game, and I get that some people expect that from a top pick but 30+ goal scorers are rare in today's NHL and guys that score 30 before their 21st birthday are even harder to find. Will he ever be on the PK? NO. Will he ever be a good passer? NO. Will he ever be great in his own end? NO. He will never do those things and I am completely OK with that because he will do the thing that gets you into the playoffs.

Of note Kane is currently tied for 29th in league goal scoring with 4 others, he is the youngest by over a year, and has played the 2nd fewest games of anyone in the top 30. People always compare him to Iggy I think a better comparison and the one I'm going to use from now on is Phil Kessel (or Corey Perry) Kessel is currently in 4th for Goals and based on the 1st 3 years of each players career Kane looks like he could be better.

Old
03-25-2012, 04:22 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgpage View Post
If you trade the elite 30 goal sniper you immediately start looking for another 30 goal sniper. I know he does not play a complete game, and I get that some people expect that from a top pick but 30+ goal scorers are rare in today's NHL and guys that score 30 before their 21st birthday are even harder to find. Will he ever be on the PK? NO. Will he ever be a good passer? NO. Will he ever be great in his own end? NO. He will never do those things and I am completely OK with that because he will do the thing that gets you into the playoffs.

Of note Kane is currently tied for 29th in league goal scoring with 4 others, he is the youngest by over a year, and has played the 2nd fewest games of anyone in the top 30. People always compare him to Iggy I think a better comparison and the one I'm going to use from now on is Phil Kessel (or Corey Perry) Kessel is currently in 4th for Goals and based on the 1st 3 years of each players career Kane looks like he could be better.
I agree with your premise, but I feel that you sell the rest of Kanes game a little short. I feel that with a little work he can turn into a solid player in his end, I also think he will continue to make better use of his teammates as he matures.

Old
03-25-2012, 04:49 PM
Sunshine36616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashers94 View Post
They were never real fans imo, and I saw 2 of the dudes that did it. They were just kids.
I don't necessarily agree. I wouldn't have done it, but for some it might have felt good. Maybe it was a big FU to the league, maybe it a cathartic good bye. I wouldn't do it because I'm cheap, lol. I am not horrified by the act though.

Nashville is an awesome city to see a game in. We used to go up a few times a season even when the Thrashers were here. They have completely reached out to fans and offered incentives for us to come to Smashville. They've actually done more for us than the ASG did lol

Old
03-25-2012, 05:02 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine36616 View Post
I don't necessarily agree. I wouldn't have done it, but for some it might have felt good. Maybe it was a big FU to the league, maybe it a cathartic good bye. I wouldn't do it because I'm cheap, lol. I am not horrified by the act though.

Nashville is an awesome city to see a game in. We used to go up a few times a season even when the Thrashers were here. They have completely reached out to fans and offered incentives for us to come to Smashville. They've actually done more for us than the ASG did lol
Unfortunately that's not saying a lot.

Old
03-25-2012, 05:04 PM
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

For such a hockey mad city we have some of the worst armchair analysts I've ever seen.

Burmistrov destroys offence. He is getting worse. He is the player I am most concerned with on this team. He's not improving.

Trade Kane? For what? Are there a lot of players capable of scoring 30+ at 20 these days? Kane doesn't really have a line right now. He's with Burmistrov because there is no one else to play him with.

Mittens is a quality 3rd line player, who can play higher. He's solid.

For the life of me I can't understand all the bickering about 6-7th defencemen. Who cares? It's obvious Noel doesn't like Stuart/Clitsome pairing.

Old
03-25-2012, 05:06 PM
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgpage View Post

You think Kessel, Cory Perry and Kane are similar? Dude, not even close.

Old
03-25-2012, 05:43 PM
videofarmer
thirsty

vCash: 521
Hey guys, since the jersey-throwing topic came up in this thread, I want to address it and my feelings from last nightís game. This is it though and Iím not bringing it up again. Sorry, this is going to be long and Iím going to show my ass. I donít expect everyone to read it, just some of you who have enjoyed interacting with me on these boards.

I went to Nashville expecting a fun time cheering for my team. In the past, Iíve cheered for the Thrashers many, many times in Philips Arena, several times in other arenas and lots of times on TV. Iíve cheered for the Jets all season on TV and on Game Center. I didnít expect last night to be so difficult.

My son and I were at the arena doors when they opened and we quickly made our way in and down to the glass to watch the warm-ups. We saw lots of Thrashers jerseys and some Jets jerseys too. I saw a bunch of familiar faces in their Thrashers garb and I saw some former Thrashers season ticket holders wearing Jets gear. It was strange. There were signs showing support for fan favorites like Pavelec, The Greek Gods (Slater and Thorburn), Enstrom, Hainsey, Buff and more. There was one slamming Ladd for some comments he made about Atlanta that apparently upset someone. The sign bothered my son as he didnít want any of the Jets thinking we were jerks for slamming their captain. I figured they could all handle it and hoped the players would appreciate seeing the signs.

The warm-ups went the way they always did, with the players looking like they were ignoring the spectators, then occasionally glancing over and tossing a kid a puck. I know thatís the way they always go, but I realized I was hoping for a bit more as most of us hadnít seen these guys in person since before the sale was announced. I didnít realize that I had that hope in the back of my mind until I saw the warm-ups going just as they always had in the past. Iím not bringing this up to say anything about the players, but to express the probable thoughts of the fans there, so you can imagine our group mental state.

My son and I stopped at the Preds gear store and bought some hats because weíve been cheering for both teams all season. In fact, before the season started, as many Thrashers fans did, I planned on ignoring the Jets and cheering for the Preds, but that didnít happen. Since most of the team stayed intact, it was really hard for me to stay away and soon interacting with you guys and watching the Jets games, it felt like my team.

Although last nights contest couldnít have felt more like a Thrashers game with a losing effort in an important game, it left me empty. I clapped anytime Pavelec made a great save and when Timmy scored, but it wasnít like cheering in Raleigh when, say, Kovy scored on Ward. The Jets fans roared and chanted Go Jets Go, but I didnít feel like I was a part of that group.

Iíve been to games on the road and understand the dynamic is totally different, but itís even more different still, when you know you are not going to be part of the home crowd at an NHL game again. I missed being part of the fans chanting and cheering for the home team and am glad that so many Thrashers fans found a new home in the Preds barn. Iím really lucky that my son is playing hockey and Iím glad that I will get to cheer him on for another high school season.

After months of explaining what happened with the Thrashers ownership to people, I have the spiel down to a concise two minutes (so as not to bore anyone). I donít enjoy telling the story but will when asked. Last night I was asked to tell it about ten times and I obliged, but when I saw peopleís eyes glazing over about 45 seconds into it, I realized they may have felt bad about what happened, but they really didnít want to know the whole story, because no one actually wants to admit that they can also lose something they love without being able to do anything about it. Going to games, buying gear and spreading the love isnít always enough. I came to the conclusion that outside of maybe 20,000 people in Atlanta, no one cares about what happened to the Thrashers and no one will. Just the way it is. Took me awhile to figure out, huh?

Preds fans are generally great people, but just like in any large group, there are also some b-holes. There were a couple of guys a few rows back giving Thrashers fans a hard time for not supporting the team and letting it leave. What can fans that did support the team and were still trying to support them last night after it was too late possibly say to that? Apparently they didnít remember how close they came to losing their team. Again, most Nashville fans are awesome, and those two guys were such simpletons that they couldnít get past ďthe emotions of the tribeĒ and felt the primal need to drive out anyone wearing other colors, butÖ Well, I guess, just teach your kids to love their team and have fun booing and bantering with the opposing fans but not to try to actually wound other fans, especially when the other fans are kids.

Speaking of tribes, I had my ďLast of the MohicansĒ moment last night/this morning when I accepted that my tribe was obliterated. It didnít move to better hunting grounds. Itís gone. Last night I realized I couldnít keep being a Thrashers fan by being a Jets fan. They really donít exist any longer. Iím not trying to garner sympathy here by whining; just trying to give insight to those that want it.

Please donít judge the fans that threw their Thrashers sweaters on the ice, it wasnít meant to disrespect the players. It was what those people had to do to tell themselves their old girlfriend was gone and that they are committing to a new one. I could never throw my jerseys away because they represent ten important years of my life, but I realize that now itís time to box them up and put them in the top of the guest closet with my other Thrashers swag instead of letting them hang in the back of my closet. Iím going to have to put my Enstrom Jets T-Shirt in there too. I thought I had healed, but it turns out the wound was infected. Itís time to stop picking at the scab, rip it all the way off and move on.

Iím not sure what Iíll do next. I plan on watching the rest of the Jets games this season and seeing what happens in the off-season because the Jets will still be one of my favorite teams, even though Iím not part of the tribe, if you know what I mean. Iím not saying Iím going to totally stop posting altogether either, Iíll probably just change my avatar (maybe to a Ronin) and stop bringing up the Thrashers as much as possible, so I may have less to say. I still want to come to Winnipeg and catch a game with my son one day too. Iíll cheer for the Preds and Panthers in the playoffs as, even though they arenít my tribes either, they are a little closer. I think Iíll also start going to more Gladiator games and support them a little better even though itís just the ECHL (hey, at the hockey might not be as good but there are plenty of fights!).

I really appreciate all of you that have been welcoming to us refugees from Atlanta, and for the most part, graciously putting up with our shenanigans.

Lynk, true bro, no joke. It really helped me that you were here and still expecting Hainsey to get six goals a night! You get fans of the Thrashers living in Atlanta better than anyone and you do it all the way from Toronto. Iím glad you have almost no Hainsey hate to put up with here this season (even though Enstrom picked up his share).

Finally, for what itís worth, I donít want to rain on anyoneís parade, you guys should be happy that you have a team and not thinking about those that donít. Anyone that expects you to restrain your celebration is just being too emotional (silly comment coming from me after this post, right?) I get the Phoenix resentment that still exists in Winnipeg, but if they move too, guys, keep it in the back of your mind that at every Coyotes home game, a youth hockey player stood on the ice with his heroes before the opening faceoff and those heroes will be moving on and leaving them behind.

Old
03-25-2012, 05:43 PM
videofarmer
thirsty

I feel better...

Old
03-25-2012, 06:02 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

That was a great post videofarmer. I completely understand your frustration and having to move on. I don't think that you will find one single person here that will blame you for that, we here in Winnipeg are in the unique situation of completely understanding the situation you are going through having lost our team in 1996. It's a very difficult thing.

On the issue of people not wanting the hear the story, I completely hear you. I followed the Phoenix, Atlanta, Nashville, Pittsburgh situations very closely in recent years. I think I have a very good grasp of what actually happened. It bothers me to NO END that a select few ignorant people up here like to put down ATL and their fans at times. I've told all my friends the long version of the story, and when I hear ignorant things at the rink or elsewhere about the situation I chime in and force the story down people's throats while reminding them that not so long ago we our selves lost our hockey team to a situation we couldn't control. I point out that ATL never had as low an attandence as Winnipeg did in some years, and the situation with ASG. Most don't listen, but I feel the need to tell them anyways, if only for fans like you. Despite what people say I believe that there was a dedicated fan base there, and NHL hockey could very easily have worked, if not for a set of very unfortunate situations. I always hoped Winnipeg's team would come via expansion.

Honestly, I was fairly young when the Jets left, but as I started to get older and understand what happened I HATED the Coyotes. It was nothing against Phoenix, the city, the fans or the players, just an irrational hatred bred of jealousy mostly. After a while I became indifferent, but it took a while. So again, to you and all our ex-Thrash fans that stuck around, thanks alot! Love having you all here.

videofarmer you are one of our best posters, I completely understand if you need to move on from the Jets, but just know you will be missed. Make sure you let us know if you ever do make it up this way, I guarantee you will be treated well, even if you feel you need to cheer for the other team

Old
03-25-2012, 06:10 PM
DjFraser

Old
03-25-2012, 06:17 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Really great post VF and much appreciate the words from Holden as well.

I imagine seeing them on the ice for the first time since Atlanta it would have to be emotional for any fans like us. HC understands the situation completely and I love that he explains it to the ignorant as it just irks me to no end when people chirp the city of Atlanta. That picture that has been posted a lot (mainly by me) of their first playoff game in Philips arena was a clear sign that things could work there and I just hate that it had to end this way.

Winnipeg is one of THE most deserving cities in North America and am happy for them. Other than a select few, (which you will find anywhere) everyone has been respectful and welcoming those of us that chose to stick around.

It will really suck to see you go but I fully understand how you feel. If anything, the move shows just how much the youth hockey market in Atlanta has grown and your family is a shining example of that. So at least you can still support the game of hockey.

I hope you still post every once in awhile as you were one of my very good friends (not only from HF but also the official board on the old website).

I wish you all the best videofarmer.

Old
03-25-2012, 06:31 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofarmer View Post
Hey guys, since the jersey-throwing topic came up in this thread, I want to address it and my feelings from last nightís game. This is it though and Iím not bringing it up again. Sorry, this is going to be long and Iím going to show my ass. I donít expect everyone to read it, just some of you who have enjoyed interacting with me on these boards.

I went to Nashville expecting a fun time cheering for my team. In the past, Iíve cheered for the Thrashers many, many times in Philips Arena, several times in other arenas and lots of times on TV. Iíve cheered for the Jets all season on TV and on Game Center. I didnít expect last night to be so difficult.

My son and I were at the arena doors when they opened and we quickly made our way in and down to the glass to watch the warm-ups. We saw lots of Thrashers jerseys and some Jets jerseys too. I saw a bunch of familiar faces in their Thrashers garb and I saw some former Thrashers season ticket holders wearing Jets gear. It was strange. There were signs showing support for fan favorites like Pavelec, The Greek Gods (Slater and Thorburn), Enstrom, Hainsey, Buff and more. There was one slamming Ladd for some comments he made about Atlanta that apparently upset someone. The sign bothered my son as he didnít want any of the Jets thinking we were jerks for slamming their captain. I figured they could all handle it and hoped the players would appreciate seeing the signs.

The warm-ups went the way they always did, with the players looking like they were ignoring the spectators, then occasionally glancing over and tossing a kid a puck. I know thatís the way they always go, but I realized I was hoping for a bit more as most of us hadnít seen these guys in person since before the sale was announced. I didnít realize that I had that hope in the back of my mind until I saw the warm-ups going just as they always had in the past. Iím not bringing this up to say anything about the players, but to express the probable thoughts of the fans there, so you can imagine our group mental state.

My son and I stopped at the Preds gear store and bought some hats because weíve been cheering for both teams all season. In fact, before the season started, as many Thrashers fans did, I planned on ignoring the Jets and cheering for the Preds, but that didnít happen. Since most of the team stayed intact, it was really hard for me to stay away and soon interacting with you guys and watching the Jets games, it felt like my team.

Although last nights contest couldnít have felt more like a Thrashers game with a losing effort in an important game, it left me empty. I clapped anytime Pavelec made a great save and when Timmy scored, but it wasnít like cheering in Raleigh when, say, Kovy scored on Ward. The Jets fans roared and chanted Go Jets Go, but I didnít feel like I was a part of that group.

Iíve been to games on the road and understand the dynamic is totally different, but itís even more different still, when you know you are not going to be part of the home crowd at an NHL game again. I missed being part of the fans chanting and cheering for the home team and am glad that so many Thrashers fans found a new home in the Preds barn. Iím really lucky that my son is playing hockey and Iím glad that I will get to cheer him on for another high school season.

After months of explaining what happened with the Thrashers ownership to people, I have the spiel down to a concise two minutes (so as not to bore anyone). I donít enjoy telling the story but will when asked. Last night I was asked to tell it about ten times and I obliged, but when I saw peopleís eyes glazing over about 45 seconds into it, I realized they may have felt bad about what happened, but they really didnít want to know the whole story, because no one actually wants to admit that they can also lose something they love without being able to do anything about it. Going to games, buying gear and spreading the love isnít always enough. I came to the conclusion that outside of maybe 20,000 people in Atlanta, no one cares about what happened to the Thrashers and no one will. Just the way it is. Took me awhile to figure out, huh?

Preds fans are generally great people, but just like in any large group, there are also some b-holes. There were a couple of guys a few rows back giving Thrashers fans a hard time for not supporting the team and letting it leave. What can fans that did support the team and were still trying to support them last night after it was too late possibly say to that? Apparently they didnít remember how close they came to losing their team. Again, most Nashville fans are awesome, and those two guys were such simpletons that they couldnít get past ďthe emotions of the tribeĒ and felt the primal need to drive out anyone wearing other colors, butÖ Well, I guess, just teach your kids to love their team and have fun booing and bantering with the opposing fans but not to try to actually wound other fans, especially when the other fans are kids.

Speaking of tribes, I had my ďLast of the MohicansĒ moment last night/this morning when I accepted that my tribe was obliterated. It didnít move to better hunting grounds. Itís gone. Last night I realized I couldnít keep being a Thrashers fan by being a Jets fan. They really donít exist any longer. Iím not trying to garner sympathy here by whining; just trying to give insight to those that want it.

Please donít judge the fans that threw their Thrashers sweaters on the ice, it wasnít meant to disrespect the players. It was what those people had to do to tell themselves their old girlfriend was gone and that they are committing to a new one. I could never throw my jerseys away because they represent ten important years of my life, but I realize that now itís time to box them up and put them in the top of the guest closet with my other Thrashers swag instead of letting them hang in the back of my closet. Iím going to have to put my Enstrom Jets T-Shirt in there too. I thought I had healed, but it turns out the wound was infected. Itís time to stop picking at the scab, rip it all the way off and move on.

Iím not sure what Iíll do next. I plan on watching the rest of the Jets games this season and seeing what happens in the off-season because the Jets will still be one of my favorite teams, even though Iím not part of the tribe, if you know what I mean. Iím not saying Iím going to totally stop posting altogether either, Iíll probably just change my avatar (maybe to a Ronin) and stop bringing up the Thrashers as much as possible, so I may have less to say. I still want to come to Winnipeg and catch a game with my son one day too. Iíll cheer for the Preds and Panthers in the playoffs as, even though they arenít my tribes either, they are a little closer. I think Iíll also start going to more Gladiator games and support them a little better even though itís just the ECHL (hey, at the hockey might not be as good but there are plenty of fights!).

I really appreciate all of you that have been welcoming to us refugees from Atlanta, and for the most part, graciously putting up with our shenanigans.

Lynk, true bro, no joke. It really helped me that you were here and still expecting Hainsey to get six goals a night! You get fans of the Thrashers living in Atlanta better than anyone and you do it all the way from Toronto. Iím glad you have almost no Hainsey hate to put up with here this season (even though Enstrom picked up his share).

Finally, for what itís worth, I donít want to rain on anyoneís parade, you guys should be happy that you have a team and not thinking about those that donít. Anyone that expects you to restrain your celebration is just being too emotional (silly comment coming from me after this post, right?) I get the Phoenix resentment that still exists in Winnipeg, but if they move too, guys, keep it in the back of your mind that at every Coyotes home game, a youth hockey player stood on the ice with his heroes before the opening faceoff and those heroes will be moving on and leaving them behind.

Great Post. But hey you can join the tribe, i'm from Quebec city and I love the Jets right now. I can feel there's a kinship there and fans of former teams can join too. We are lost souls in some way.

Old
03-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Very heartfelt and inspiring post, VF. I think that the vast majority of us who where old enough to remeber having our hearts ripped out from us when we finally knew that the Jets 1.0 were leaving know exactly how you feel. I can't say that I blame you for wanting to move on. Truth be told, I still hate the Yotes franchise with a passion. But going to that game in Phoenix in October really helped me and many others get some deeply needed "almost-closure" for what had happened over 15 years ago. There will always be a little part of that wound that never completely heals; like losing a family member.

I'm glad you are choosing to continue to support the sport in Altanta. It's also great to see that youth hockey is alive and well in that city. I wish you all the best in life and know that you will always be a welcome member on these boards.

Old
03-25-2012, 06:35 PM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofarmer View Post
I feel better...
Great post.

I went through something similar when the Jets left for Pheonix.
I still have one of the first season Coyotes jerseys that I wear on occasion.
When the Jets first moved a lot of people tried to hang on and stay loyal to the players. I'm not sure for how many years the Coyotes games were broadcast on the local radio station here but they did.
Luckily, I left NA for nearly a decade around the time the team left so did not have to endure watching oer teams on TV. By the time that I could get NHL games on UK television the disappointment had ended and my interest was back. Fortunately, or unfortunately, the NASN never ever showed Coyotes games so I slowly began to follow other teams.

People that complain about the southern US hockey market are pretty clueless. You can't introduce a new sport into a area and suddenly have a city full of fans. Fans are the people that grow up with a team in their market and learn to appreciate it over time. Keeping the league 30 teams strong and supporting the struggling ones helps to ensure that the fanbase can grow.
Canadians guffaw at the "stupid southerners" not knowing all the rules of the game and asking questions. Well I can say that if I went to a cricket game I would be asking basic questions but I would still enjoy the experience. The same goes for rugby and even basketball in my case. I hate that superior BS attitude.

There was nothing wrong with the jersey tossing IMO. It was a way to protest the team leaving and saying that that they weren't alright with it. If the Jets had moved as suddenly as the Thrashers did last spring Winnipeg would have burned. It was handled really badly but most of that has to do with the Thrashers ownership, not TNSE or the NHL.

Anyways, I hope you and your family continue to watch, play, and enjoy hockey no matter which team you end up cheering for.

Old
03-25-2012, 06:38 PM
roccerfeller
jets bromantic

vCash: 240
Wow videofarmer.

Thats deep man, and the funny thing is there's tens of thousands of Winnipeg fans who know that exact same feeling. Exact same.

Don't give up on the NHL, and don't give up on the Jets though - trust me, you're part of whatever tribe you choose to be a part of.

Old
03-25-2012, 07:05 PM
videofarmer
thirsty

OK, before the thread gets closed I better throw this in! First, thanks ya'll.
Second, I'm not heading to the restroom to slit my wrists and I'm not done posting! You're not rid of me that easy. How's that for an anti-climax? Like I said, the Jets will still be a favorite team of mine and I'm watching the rest of the games this season. I'm just reigning it in a bit. Even though it took too long, the experience last night let me accept that the Jets aren't the Thrashers and that's what I'm letting go. I'm going to watch lots of NHL teams and cheer for my favorite players, just like I always have. I'm just not going to pick a number one right now and see what happens naturally. And Holden, you can bet if I make it up there I won't be foolish enough to pick a game where I would cheer for the other team! When I experience the 'Peg I want to be part of the cheering throngs!

Closed Thread