HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Atlanta Thrashers jerseys tossed on ice at Nashville game 24 Mar 2012

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2012, 12:58 AM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Considering how the Thrashers' history has been all but whitewashed in a collective attempt to pretend the "real" Jets came back, maybe this was a way to keep the memory alive even if only for one night.
Every relocation team will do this. Part of it may have been the general reaction people had in Winnipeg when the Coyotes started taking ownership of their franchises, pre-Pheonix history.
Generally it was negative. Retiring jerseys for players that never played a game in a Coyotes jersey, etc...

I think the jersey throw protest/statement was a good one. The same didn't happen with the Jets/Coyotes because the city had the time to say goodbye to the team.

The Thrashers were gone with zero fanfare or goodbyes.
The first preseason game of the Jets 2.0 should have been in Atlanta giving the fans a chance to say goodbye to their team.

Old
03-25-2012, 01:04 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Jerseys thrown?

I only saw one in the video...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I see three. There's an original navy blue T-bird style, a 2007-08 to 2010-11 powder blue home, and the same years in the road white.
Ohhhhh. In that dude's hand afterwards yeah.

Technically it only shows the one jersey on the ice though. So I got confused.

Old
03-25-2012, 01:58 AM
tntkid

vCash: 500
The cbc commentators said that Pavelec smiled when the Atlanta jerseys were thrown on the ice.

I am not quite sure that the other former Atlanta Thrasher players were too impressed with it as it is somewhat of an insult to them.

Old
03-25-2012, 02:37 AM
ATLhockey437

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntkid View Post
The cbc commentators said that Pavelec smiled when the Atlanta jerseys were thrown on the ice.

I am not quite sure that the other former Atlanta Thrasher players were too impressed with it as it is somewhat of an insult to them.
I drove up from ATL for the game. Had a great time. Was hard to watch but I was just happy to see some NHL hockey again.

Felt weird seeing that, I personally wouldnt have done it but I can see why people did. The players did not deserve that, they didnt decide to leave. It is what it is though and I know I'm in the minority on that issue.

I will say I had a blast and NSH was an awesome atmosphere. Felt just like home again being around southern hospitality while at a hockey game. 98% of the people in Jets gear were really nice. There was one bad apple in the lobby who came up to me and my friends yelling go jets go in our face and I just gave him a nice big FU. Bakers dozen classless subbans for that a-hole.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 03-25-2012 at 07:22 AM. Reason: no
Old
03-25-2012, 04:10 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
The crazy part is they werent when the team was in Atlanta....either time.
I'm pretty sure 'they' were. Unless your 'they' refers to completely different people completely unconnected with this. Which would be a bit strange.

Old
03-25-2012, 06:39 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Probably just them sending them off. Have most Atlanta fans become Predators fans now?

Old
03-25-2012, 07:07 AM
Brooklanders*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashyG View Post
Anyone whose ever had to suffer through a game called by him will never forget him

Nice to see the Thrashers fans have found a new home, Nashville has become a good rival for the Wings so its nice to see their arena rocking with an even bigger fan base.

I don't think they'll ever have to worry about the Preds moving as long as the fans keep the attitude they've had ever since Balsille tried to lure them to Canada.
If moving the Thrashers was necessary to make better business sense than do so. They just didn't need to take all the players.
Bettman should have allowed Winnipeg to have an expansion draft.
The players currently on the peg should have been dispersed. I believe to satisfy Atlanta Fans the best players like Buff and Enstrom should have been re routed to Nashville. Kovalchuk may not have been traded for peanuts either. I understand that this may not be the norm on any pro sports but the NHL lacks fans in the USA. I also realize that allowing top players to leave for Nashville maybe unfair to other teams. I do see a solution such as loss of draft picks. In other words Winnipeg gets Nashvilles 12345,for say Ladd, Enstrom, kane and Buff almost like a trade. Players could be given the choice of Going to Nashville or Winnipeg. Nashville then would not be allowed to trade these players at all. The next season Nashville then would be limited to two outside free agent singings. Considering the fact that the Predators were an expansion team themselves they never really had an equal playing field either. would help grow the sport in the South.

Old
03-25-2012, 07:13 AM
GoBs

Passionate fans. Too bad they lost thier team.

Old
03-25-2012, 07:24 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Generalizations about fan bases will not be tolerated. Even though the Thrashers no longer exist, the fan base still does. It is FLAMING. You will not be given further warnings, so do not complain to one of us when you are dealt with harshly. Repeating the same tired jokes over and over again does not make you funny. It makes your lack of wit obvious

Old
03-25-2012, 07:25 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
The crazy part is they werent when the team was in Atlanta....either time.
Really? The fans at this game, the ones who drove over 4 hours to watch hockey, weren't going to hockey games when the team was in Atlanta? The same people who owned Thrashers gear were not spending money on the team when it was in Atlanta?

This comment was poorly thought out.

Old
03-25-2012, 07:38 AM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

The NHL is a business. The owners of the Jets won't be charitable to the Atlanta fanbase if it's not putting money in their pockets.

Old
03-25-2012, 07:41 AM
Marns
@SH_Hockey

What the hell was Crisp talking about? Disrespecting the jersey...way to go off on a tangent.

Old
03-25-2012, 07:47 AM
Beezeral

Atlanta fans got screwed in this. While their attendance was not great, there was a decent sized diehard group that got absolutely screwed by the sudden move. If something like this were to happen to the panthers, I'd have a similar reaction.

Old
03-25-2012, 07:58 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
Atlanta fans got screwed in this. While their attendance was not great, there was a decent sized diehard group that got absolutely screwed by the sudden move. If something like this were to happen to the panthers, I'd have a similar reaction.
They didn't get 'screwed'. I don't like how some people here try to create this revisionist history of the Thrashers moving somehow being a tragedy. It just shows that sports fandom tends to cloud the mind a bit to the obvious realities of life.

Old
03-25-2012, 07:58 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I was at the game, and it happened several times. Probably 15-20 jerseys in all.

The guy I talked to said it was his way of bidding good bye to the Thrashers. He was wearing a Preds hat already and said he had a Rinne jersey back at his seat tha he was going to put on.
15 to 20?? I was there too and only saw like 5 or 6.

Old
03-25-2012, 07:59 AM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
They didn't get 'screwed'. I don't like how some people here try to create this revisionist history of the Thrashers moving somehow being a tragedy. It just shows that sports fandom tends to cloud the mind a bit to the obvious realities of life.

Sorry. I felt the urge.

Old
03-25-2012, 08:03 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Huh? In what way was Atlanta fans not screwed for having one of the worst ownership groups in sports and having their team moved?

Last edited by AtlantaWhaler: 03-25-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old
03-25-2012, 08:13 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Huh? In what way was Atlanta fans not screwed for having one of the worst ownership groups in sports and having their team moved.
You follow a sports league where teams regularly are moved, that very city in fact already had a team move. The typical reasons for such relocation are lack of success, lack of popularity, lack of financial support and sub-optimal venues - an honest look at the Atlanta situation exposed the reality of such factors.

Questionable ownership, questionable management choices? All part and parcel of pro sports. Hell, some of the most visible franchises in the league, Toronto, Montreal, Chicago, have had that in spades. The fact that this could lead to the end of a team in a location in a marginal situation like Atlanta is hardly strange or really a particularly big deal in the world of business.

Summary: you don't get 'screwed' if something happens that is a) legitimate and b) not particularly surprising.

Old
03-25-2012, 08:22 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
You follow a sports league where teams regularly are moved, that very city in fact already had a team move. The typical reasons for such relocation are lack of success, lack of popularity, lack of financial support and sub-optimal venues - an honest look at the Atlanta situation exposed the reality of such factors.

Questionable ownership, questionable management choices? All part and parcel of pro sports. Hell, some of the most visible franchises in the league, Toronto, Montreal, Chicago, have had that in spades. The fact that this could lead to the end of a team in a location in a marginal situation like Atlanta is hardly strange or really a particularly big deal in the world of business.

Summary: you don't get 'screwed' if something happens that is a) legitimate and b) not particularly surprising.
It's funny you mention Chicago in this post. While they had one of the worst owners, they had some of the worst attendance.

Old
03-25-2012, 08:26 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
It's funny you mention Chicago in this post. While they had one of the worst owners, they had some of the worst attendance.
Absolutely, and I don't ever mean this to be offensive to Atlanta fans personally. There were Atlanta fans 100 times more committed than many of the meatheads at a place like Air Canada Centre or the Bell Centre.

But in reality, that's just not really what makes the difference, is it? Working for a company that goes bankrupt doesn't make you a worse worker than someone who works for a very successful company, but it doesn't change the reality of the world that bad businesses go down, does it?

Old
03-25-2012, 08:26 AM
Beezeral

Quote:
The fans who had season tickets and went to every game for screwed. It's not their fault the team was moved and they were treated like dirt through the entire process. Didn't even get a goodbye game.

The move made perfect business sense, but on a personal level, people got the short end of the stick.

Old
03-25-2012, 08:35 AM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Really? The fans at this game, the ones who drove over 4 hours to watch hockey, weren't going to hockey games when the team was in Atlanta? The same people who owned Thrashers gear were not spending money on the team when it was in Atlanta?

This comment was poorly thought out.
Just not enough of those fans to keep the team there...

Yes ownership and inept management never helped... but I mean, if the arena was filled with fans most nights, they wouldn't have moved. That is a fact.

I feel bad for the passionatte Thrasher fans who never got to say goodbye.. that is a really ****** thing to do to those group of fans.

I guess there is no real "right way" to relocate a franchise.

Old
03-25-2012, 08:42 AM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post

Yes ownership and inept management never helped... but I mean, if the arena was filled with fans most nights, they wouldn't have moved. That is a fact.

I feel bad for the passionatte Thrasher fans who never got to say goodbye.. that is a really ****** thing to do to those group of fans.

You are right. There is no "right way" to do it. The other city's fans will always feel bitter. But you could atleast be classy about it and do something to ease the transition.

Old
03-25-2012, 08:52 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post

All I'm going to say is you are not replying to the spirit of my comment. I was saying that the poster I quoted was entirely off base by judging those who threw their jerseys on to the ice in Nashville as the type who did not go to hockey games while they had a team in Atlanta. You know... because the point of this thread is Atlanta Thrashers jerseys tossed on the ice in Nashville and NOT "why did Atlanta relocate"

For everyone who wishes to discuss the relocation I will gladly point you to the Business of Hockey forum. Keep that crap off of this forum. This is not a complicated thing, guys. I shouldn't have to even say a word about it, but, alas, here is my second comment on the subject.

Old
03-25-2012, 09:01 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Huh? In what way was Atlanta fans not screwed for having one of the worst ownership groups in sports and having their team moved?
Quote:

Teams are regularly moved?? Uh, no. And ownership had as much to do with it as anything. Team couldn't get out of their own way.