HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Upcoming RFAs

Old
03-27-2012, 12:42 PM
Redcoyote
Hungry

vCash: 500
Upcoming RFAs

What do you think about our RFAs?

Brule: Id love to resign him for two years at about 1.3 per year

Chipchura: He brings a lot to the fourth line. 650k for another year wouldnt bother me.

Summers: He looks ready though hell probaby be the 7th dman and not play more than 40 games. Id offer two years at 1.6 per year.

Miele: He needs more time in the AHL. Id still lock him up for a year or two.

MacLean: Things have changed a lot. A year ago I wanted to see him get a shot at the NHL. Now after his stint with Winnipeg he may have proven he doesnt have what it takes. Id like to give him another year personally but wouldnt be surprised if this was his last with the Coyotes.

Tikhonov: I wish he hadnt gone to the KHL this year. He probably would have been called up ahead of Bolduc, Watkins and maybe even Pouliot. 10-20 games would have given a lot of insight on how hes progressing. His numbers look solid this year in the KHL. Id like to resign him and convince him to play in the AHL if he doesnt make the team out of camp.

How do you guys feel?

Redcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 01:46 PM
SweYote

MacLean will probably get a one year AHL deal or something like that. I don't see Summers getting as much as $1,6m. Chipchura may get more than $650k.

SweYote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 01:59 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

The only thing Brule should expect for next year is at least a one way deal. Work the negotiations up from there.

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 02:21 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

How well did Tikhonov play this year. Was he lighting it up?

Scottrocks58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Sceva Sct
on the edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrocks58 View Post
how well did tikhonov play this year. Was he lighting it up?
42gp - 17g - 13a - 30p - 18pim - +11

Sceva Sct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 03:39 PM
Redcoyote
Hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweYote View Post
MacLean will probably get a one year AHL deal or something like that. I don't see Summers getting as much as $1,6m. Chipchura may get more than $650k.
I think Summers makes 1.3 now

Old
03-27-2012, 03:51 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoyote View Post
I think Summers makes 1.3 now
His salary is $850k and he has $400k in bonus clauses which are probably unattainable.

Minimum qualifying offer for Summer would be 105% of $850k.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 04:10 PM
PhoPhan

I suspect Summers will see a small raise not much higher than his QO if at all, but on a one-way deal.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 04:12 PM
awfulwaffle

Not to sound like a rookie at all, but can someone explain the one way offer, and another deal that isn't? I'm guessing plays in the NHL? Or no bonuses just a pure salary deal?

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 04:23 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
Not to sound like a rookie at all, but can someone explain the one way offer, and another deal that isn't? I'm guessing plays in the NHL? Or no bonuses just a pure salary deal?
On a two-way deal, a player makes X if he plays in the NHL and Y if he plays in the AHL. Y is typically a small fraction of X. For example, on his current contract, Chris Summers is paid $62,500/year in the AHL or $850,000 in the NHL. For seasons like this one when he bounces around, it's prorated by days spent in either league (e.g. if he spent an equal time in the AHL and NHL, he'd make $31,250+$425,000, or $456,250).

On a one-way deal, he's paid the same regardless. So even if his base NHL salary goes down, he'll make more money on a one-way deal if he spends any time in the AHL. If he spends the whole year in the NHL, there's no difference in salary at all.

Does that all make sense?

Old
03-27-2012, 04:47 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
On a two-way deal, a player makes X if he plays in the NHL and Y if he plays in the AHL. Y is typically a small fraction of X. For example, on his current contract, Chris Summers is paid $62,500/year in the AHL or $850,000 in the NHL. For seasons like this one when he bounces around, it's prorated by days spent in either league (e.g. if he spent an equal time in the AHL and NHL, he'd make $31,250+$425,000, or $456,250).

On a one-way deal, he's paid the same regardless. So even if his base NHL salary goes down, he'll make more money on a one-way deal if he spends any time in the AHL. If he spends the whole year in the NHL, there's no difference in salary at all.

Does that all make sense?
That makes plenty of sense, and I understand it now. Thank you!

On that though, how difficult is the negotiating with that? Obviously, GM's are looking at spending less money on someone that goes between the NHL and AHL. How do they decide to give a one way compared to a two way? Summers has been someone on both sides this year, but might be getting more time in the NHL with Roszival more than likely going somewhere else.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 04:56 PM
Redcoyote
Hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
His salary is $850k and he has $400k in bonus clauses which are probably unattainable.

Minimum qualifying offer for Summer would be 105% of $850k.
That makes a lot more sense

Old
03-27-2012, 05:12 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
That makes plenty of sense, and I understand it now. Thank you!

On that though, how difficult is the negotiating with that? Obviously, GM's are looking at spending less money on someone that goes between the NHL and AHL. How do they decide to give a one way compared to a two way? Summers has been someone on both sides this year, but might be getting more time in the NHL with Roszival more than likely going somewhere else.
It's different for each players, but generally speaking, I think all ELCs are two-way, and then from there, a player is rewarded with a one-way deal right around the time he'd become a regular player anyway, usually on his second or third contract. I can't think of a case where a player who had been on a one-way deal would sign a two-way, but I feel like it's happened with some sort of reclamation project at some point.

Old
03-27-2012, 05:24 PM
Kaizen

POS would be an example of the scenario you are describing.

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=19

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:15 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Chipchura also for a player still on the roster with a 2-way deal:
http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=77

It's a contract negotiation point that mostly comes up with either young players that haven't yet established their NHL credentials, or older players that might not make the NHL roster like POS and Chipchura.

- The team doesn't want to pay players the higher NHL rate if they're demoted to the AHL--want two way deals.
- The player wants to collect as much as possible on their contract even if sent to the AHL--want one way deals.

Sometimes you'll see teams sign RFAs to multi-year deals where some years of the contract are two-way and some one-way. For example Joel Perrault's two year contract signed in 2008 where only the second year was one-way.
http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1139

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:25 AM
AZviaNJ
@AZviaNJviaNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoyote View Post
What do you think about our RFAs?

Brule: Id love to resign him for two years at about 1.3 per year

Chipchura: He brings a lot to the fourth line. 650k for another year wouldnt bother me.

Summers: He looks ready though hell probaby be the 7th dman and not play more than 40 games. Id offer two years at 1.6 per year.

Miele: He needs more time in the AHL. Id still lock him up for a year or two.

MacLean: Things have changed a lot. A year ago I wanted to see him get a shot at the NHL. Now after his stint with Winnipeg he may have proven he doesnt have what it takes. Id like to give him another year personally but wouldnt be surprised if this was his last with the Coyotes.

Tikhonov: I wish he hadnt gone to the KHL this year. He probably would have been called up ahead of Bolduc, Watkins and maybe even Pouliot. 10-20 games would have given a lot of insight on how hes progressing. His numbers look solid this year in the KHL. Id like to resign him and convince him to play in the AHL if he doesnt make the team out of camp.

How do you guys feel?
Brule and Chippy need to be back for sure........and both can be had for a reasonable price. Summers is tricky...ideally bring him back but Stone is ahead of him now and Rundblad will be by next year. Unless Miele bulks up considerably I don't see him as an NHL player at any point. Agree with you on MacLean. Tikhonov had oppty this year with all the injuries at RW......may have blown his NHL shot....he'll be 25 next year and it's time to see whether or not he can play in the big league.

AZviaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:11 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZviaNJ View Post
Brule and Chippy need to be back for sure........and both can be had for a reasonable price. Summers is tricky...ideally bring him back but Stone is ahead of him now and Rundblad will be by next year.
Not convinced of that. Not every player shoots up like a rocket as OEL did this season. Took Yandle a while. Plus Rundblad has some pretty significant flaws to his game when it relates to who the current head coach is.

That said I think Summers could be someone to consider trading at next years deadline depending on what is done with the current vets. Stone has probably passed him as you said, but Summers is still on a decent path to be an NHLer. He's only 23.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote