HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

3/25/12 - Wild vs. Capitals - 4PM CST - NBCSN (HD)

Old
03-25-2012, 07:03 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
I simply couldn't resist to post something about that comment.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:08 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

vCash: 50
Well now all I need is to know if the Wild are making any roster moves between now and Tuesday and I can conceivably get the GDT for that game done at any time.

And I hope Hammerlik gets hammered by Shannahan, but I know damned well he wont get ****.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:10 PM
LemaireisGOD

vCash: 500
My take...

http://www.stateofhockeynews.com/201...crapitals.html

I thought the boys tried hard, but they're one-trick pony. The top line was the only thing that could really create quality scoring chances. After that its zilch, zilch and zilch. Chad Rau was a ragdoll out there. We can eliminate the whole mathematical comment completely now. I have a complete game recap and a where are they now segment featuring Matt Foy. I also have prospect updates on Coyle, Phillips, Bulmer and Haula. Enjoy!

LemaireisGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:16 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Agreed. Considering I highly doubt we get either of Parise/Suter in free agency this year, we are going to be in desperate need of a true game changer. If we can somehow get lucky and pick up Nail (not at all a long shot if we go into the lottery in 2nd place), it could really give this team the swift kick in the pants it needs to finally build a winning culture, finally start getting shots on goal, and finally have an offense worth calling an offense.
It's possible we could still land one of those guys by selling hope, we have just as good of a shot as many other teams in the league. Even if we had made the playoffs this year, I'm not sure it would make a huge difference in the eyes of Parise/Suter whether we made the playoffs or not.

If we get 2nd worst record, we have a shot in the lottery and we will be able to pick a very very good player at #2 overall.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:19 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
It's possible we could still land one of those guys by selling hope, we have just as good of a shot as many other teams in the league. Even if we had made the playoffs this year, I'm not sure it would make a huge difference in the eyes of Parise/Suter whether we made the playoffs or not.

If we get 2nd worst record, we have a shot in the lottery and we will be able to pick a very very good player at #2 overall.
I can buy us having an outside chance at Parise based on the Minnesota connection, but I have a hard time thinking we have a shot at Suter, what with what Nashville is doing lately. They seem dead serious about becoming a genuine contender.

Oh well, maybe Gilbert actually has some recruiting connections like the Versus guys speculated on air today.

Old
03-25-2012, 07:26 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
I can buy us having an outside chance at Parise based on the Minnesota connection, but I have a hard time thinking we have a shot at Suter, what with what Nashville is doing lately. They seem dead serious about becoming a genuine contender.

Oh well, maybe Gilbert actually has some recruiting connections like the Versus guys speculated on air today.
Who knows? They'd be awesome players to get, but I don't think the plan was ever to count on one of them coming here. We'll go after them hard if they make it, but I'd think Suter would want to just stick in Nashville, and maybe Parise wants to stay in NJ, but they're both going to get about $8M a year. I don't think we're going to land either one, but we can all hope that we get one, draft #1 or #2 overall and see growths from our prospects leading to a good year next year. It could happen.

Old
03-25-2012, 07:31 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Like I said before: go after them hard, pitch them a lot of money, hope, they'll be the huge pieces for our team, and kidnap their loved ones as motivation.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:32 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2600 View Post
Like I said before: go after them hard, pitch them a lot of money, hope, they'll be the huge pieces for our team, and kidnap their loved ones as motivation.
Well if there are two things we have a lot of, its cap space and blind hope.

If our prospects pan out, we should have a hell of a team here very soon.

Old
03-25-2012, 07:35 PM
mnwildgophers

For all we know it could happen, but Granlund is going to help us next year. It will simply be fun to see the guy grow, we can't really see a lot of our young guys grow. I do think Kampfer is going to be a good player for us, and Gilbert has been meh. I'm just tainted on Schultz (and I rag on him harder than I probably should), but everyone on this team sucks right now.

Just toss them a lot of money and hope. With the addition of a top 5 pick this year, we will have a top 5 prospect pool in the league. We should be good in the next couple of years (assuming all of the prospects don't bomb out).

Old
03-25-2012, 07:38 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
For all we know it could happen, but Granlund is going to help us next year. It will simply be fun to see the guy grow, we can't really see a lot of our young guys grow. I do think Kampfer is going to be a good player for us, and Gilbert has been meh. I'm just tainted on Schultz (and I rag on him harder than I probably should), but everyone on this team sucks right now.

Just toss them a lot of money and hope. With the addition of a top 5 pick this year, we will have a top 5 prospect pool in the league. We should be good in the next couple of years (assuming all of the prospects don't bomb out).
Don't forget Palmieri. If he get's his game back to what it was when he first showed up here after the trade, he could turn out to be something pretty special.

Old
03-25-2012, 07:46 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Don't forget Palmieri. If he get's his game back to what it was when he first showed up here after the trade, he could turn out to be something pretty special.
There's so many young guys that we will have next year that it will be fun to watch them grow. We have a couple of decent vets on the team to mentor them into the league. We got Koivu for Granlund, Heatley seems to be in that age where he might be a mentor. I'm glad we signed Brodziak to hopefully show some of these young guys what hard work can do for you.

Old
03-25-2012, 07:47 PM
LemaireisGOD

Maybe its me...

But I think it would be smart to temper our expectations of Granlund. We have no idea what he can do at the NHL level. I really think that for those that think he'll be some mega catalyst are going to be disappointed. Sure, he's a guy who has a nice resume so far, but let's have him arrive and play before we say he's going to be the franchise's savior.

LemaireisGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:49 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
I think most of the hype is also generated from him already being a national hero already. Thats where his nickname comes from. I think some people have already stated that they wouldn't mind if he turned into PMB that can put in a few more goals. (and minus the injuries, but that should be inferred)

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:52 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemaireisGOD View Post
But I think it would be smart to temper our expectations of Granlund. We have no idea what he can do at the NHL level. I really think that for those that think he'll be some mega catalyst are going to be disappointed. Sure, he's a guy who has a nice resume so far, but let's have him arrive and play before we say he's going to be the franchise's savior.
Yeah, but it's hard because we want so badly to believe that SOMEONE is going to make this team good, why not the kid that's been great at the WJC/Europe. We're not used to having this talented and accomplished of a kid in our pool, so it's hard not to get carried away.

That said if he gets 20/20 his rookie year I'll be very happy. Anymore will be far above my expectations. I'd even be OK with 15/15, given the adjustments he'll have to make, I expect him to struggle at the beginning of the season.

Old
03-25-2012, 07:53 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemaireisGOD View Post
Well let's hope he can be part of the solution to changing the franchise around. He can't do it alone, but he may be a major part of it.

Old
03-25-2012, 07:56 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

I think if Granlund is on a line with a true goal scorer he has the potential to do something really special.

I don't think he is going to be able to do much by himself. He comes off as the kind of player who makes those around him better, and he will need to be surrounded by players who can put the puck in the net in order to play the game the way he needs to play it.

The comparisons to PMB are spot on, in my opinion. Granlund is a playmaker. If we can get him a good finisher he will be a deadly threat with the puck.

Old
03-25-2012, 08:12 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

I'll be happy if Granlund goes 20-25. (Saku Koivu's rookie season numbers)

Edit: Actually, I'll just be happy if he doesn't get injured.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 09:09 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Wild mathematically eliminated, now stares down draft lottery

Old
03-25-2012, 09:40 PM
BigT2002

Parise coming here is still at the possibility the world ends in December level. Sorry. I just don't see it when you have teams who are viable competitors year in and year out that will have the cap space to do this. Or are willing to make moves to fit him into the roster accordingly. If he comes here, at his age, he is essentially praying (like Nash) that the front office can build the rest of the team around the top lines. Right now, that defense is shaky, very shaky.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 09:44 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Another game I missed. Meh. Tank on!

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 11:13 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Sounds like he is getting more and more bitter as this season drags on.

Old
03-25-2012, 11:16 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Quote:
Sounds like he is getting more and more bitter as this season drags on.
Can you really blame him?

Don't think so.

Old
03-25-2012, 11:16 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

I enjoy bitter Russo. Much funnier than Happy Russo. Granted happy Russo (towards the Wild at least) is a rare beast.

Old
03-25-2012, 11:20 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
I think if Granlund is on a line with a true goal scorer he has the potential to do something really special.

I don't think he is going to be able to do much by himself. He comes off as the kind of player who makes those around him better, and he will need to be surrounded by players who can put the puck in the net in order to play the game the way he needs to play it.

The comparisons to PMB are spot on, in my opinion. Granlund is a playmaker. If we can get him a good finisher he will be a deadly threat with the puck.

Lucia or Haula? They're pretty good finishers. Setoguchi might be a good fit on that line too, actually. Stick Coyle in a line with Granlund and put Seto on the RW and you'll have some destruction.

Man, I wish Latendresse would come back and stay healthy. He's such a good guy to have around. PMB too, I love his playmaking ability.

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 11:27 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Can you really blame him?

Don't think so.
Never said I blamed him. I was simply making an observation.

Also consider how bitter I am that even the sarcastic humor in my GDTs has dried up, although Tuesdays may or may not be hilarious depending on how you feel about something.