HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Columbus vs. Edmonton | 3/25 3PM EDT

Old
03-25-2012, 04:51 PM
CapnCornelius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jag72 View Post
The problem is that both Mason and Sanford are the biggest piece of the suck this year. Yes the D has turned the puck over a bunch but all teams turn the pucks over. Most teams goalies can stop a shot or two to help their team out. Put a real goalie in the net and I honestly think that things would be a totally different story. How many games this year can you remember that we lost due to the soft goals that our goalies have given up. Way to many to count.

As for Nash wanting a trade, who cares as long as he keeps playing out there.
I'd agree whole-heartedly on Mason, but I think Sanford has been solid though not stellar. The fact is that both defense and goaltending are a disaster and, as the adage goes, you build from the net out.

And, the reason Nash becomes important--he will not be here next season. I know many find it hard to believe that this team could actually get worse next year, but they can, quite easily. And it starts with trading Nash without making up for his production. The trade alone will not likely yield us a player that by himself can make up for the loss of Nash, which means we have to count on our "smart, learning" GM to go out and supplement in free agency.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfboard View Post
Yeah, it's sold tickets.................but I have a pretty good inside source that says the front office pads it by at least 20% each game.
At some point the net profit/loss for the organization this season will tell the story.. I'm gusssing the organization will lose 20 million this year. Those are the numbers that count, attendance figures can be used to give a false impression of organization viability.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Robert
Foligno family

The guys on the NBC Sport Network are joking about how Columbus clinched the 30th seed today... They say it's Columbus Day! What an embarrassment.

Old
03-25-2012, 05:03 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
12,295 according to NHL.com...........rrriiiiiiiight.........
It is not far off, the upper bowl was 85% filled.

03-25-2012, 05:05 PM
EspenK

mission accomplished

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 05:05 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I'd agree whole-heartedly on Mason, but I think Sanford has been solid though not stellar. The fact is that both defense and goaltending are a disaster and, as the adage goes, you build from the net out.

And, the reason Nash becomes important--he will not be here next season. I know many find it hard to believe that this team could actually get worse next year, but they can, quite easily. And it starts with trading Nash without making up for his production. The trade alone will not likely yield us a player that by himself can make up for the loss of Nash, which means we have to count on our "smart, learning" GM to go out and supplement in free agency.
You don't expect to get a guy who will score 32 goals. You get two guys who will score 16 and a prospect or two.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 05:06 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
At some point the net profit/loss for the organization this season will tell the story.. I'm gusssing the organization will lose 20 million this year. Those are the numbers that count, attendance figures can be used to give a false impression of organization viability.
We'll get the revenue sharing that we didn't get last season. Probably closer to $10-12 million in the red.

Old
03-25-2012, 05:08 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Even Springfield gives up 3 unanswered to blow their shot at the playoffs. How the hell does Scott Howson still have a job?!?

Old
03-25-2012, 05:11 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag72 View Post
The problem is that both Mason and Sanford are the biggest piece of the suck this year. Yes the D has turned the puck over a bunch but all teams turn the pucks over. Most teams goalies can stop a shot or two to help their team out. Put a real goalie in the net and I honestly think that things would be a totally different story. How many games this year can you remember that we lost due to the soft goals that our goalies have given up. Way to many to count.
Or let's look at it another way to come to the same conclusion...
How many games have we won where the goalie stole it for us?

Old
03-25-2012, 05:15 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Last game of the season for us. Hope it's as much fun as Friday was!
It wasn't.

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 05:16 PM
jag72

Quote:
Sanford did OK for what was expected out of him. He was brought in as a backup only and that was only after Dex went down with his high ancle sprain. He was only expected to have to worry about keeping us in a couple games this year. Having Mason perform at a career low was not what this team needed but I guess that is stating the obvious.

jag72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 05:18 PM
jag72

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Or let's look at it another way to come to the same conclusion...
How many games have we won where the goalie stole it for us?
Mason was the #1 star 99% of the time for the opposing team.

jag72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 05:25 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
12,295 according to NHL.com...........rrriiiiiiiight.........
I was there and that's about what I estimated.

Old
03-25-2012, 05:34 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
I was there and that's about what I estimated.
Yeah, a lot of church groups bought upper bowl seats tonight. The irony is, this club could USE a saviour right now!

Old
03-25-2012, 05:40 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Big time "Dog People" so know how it can hurt.

Best wishes.
Thanks Roadman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJMark View Post
It is tough to lose a pet, nevermind a parent. But hockey isn't a hobby....its a Calling, so don't question your passion for the greatest sport on earth. And, Boll, let's drop those gloves today!
Thanks Mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooks View Post
looks like you might get your Boll wish. Hopefully he doesnt get hurt.
Thanks Hooks.

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 05:40 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Yeah, the time for sugar coating this garbage is over.

Even if this team played as "well" as it had since the acquisition of Johnson we'd be no better than the Anaheim Ducks who are also not in the playoff chase. Meanwhile, our captain and best player has demanded a trade.

The time for phony optimism ain't now.
What's Anaheim's excuse? I mean, if Columbus had Getzlaf, Perry, Sbisa, Visnovsky, Fowler, and Ryan and yet still were buried near the bottom, the peaceful protest would have been much larger and involved pitchforks and torches.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 05:46 PM
CBJCougar

You can only hide so much crap before the stink rats you out. Are we losing on purpose? Nobody sucks this bad and plays professionally.

Rick Nash got clotheslined today and no one defended his honor. Why is that?

How can our coach stand there and use the tired excuse again? Does any other team use that excuse?

It was haunting to see all those empty seats shown on tv.

Old
03-25-2012, 06:06 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
You can only hide so much crap before the stink rats you out. Are we losing on purpose? Nobody sucks this bad and plays professionally.

Rick Nash got clotheslined today and no one defended his honor. Why is that?

How can our coach stand there and use the tired excuse again? Does any other team use that excuse?

It was haunting to see all those empty seats shown on tv.
Sorry about your Dog... I'm a Cat owner and as much as people may laugh even losing a long term Cat is hard..

As for the rest, the CBJ organization from the owner down (there are some exceptions) is out of touch with NHL reality. There is something fundamentally wrong with this organization, watch some of the current regular season games impacting playoff seeds and compare that play to what you saw today.

Old
03-25-2012, 06:18 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Sorry about your Dog... I'm a Cat owner and as much as people may laugh even losing a long term Cat is hard..

As for the rest, the CBJ organization from the owner down (there are some exceptions) is out of touch with NHL reality. There is something fundamentally wrong with this organization, watch some of the current regular season games impacting playoff seeds and compare that play to what you saw today.
Thanks Robert. It's hard to let go of something you love.

I just sat there today and thought...they are failing for Nail. And while we might need that #1 draft pick, we also need some respect and the empty seats screamed NOT! I know winning will bring them back, and some of it can be discounted as March Madness vs Last Place Hockey team.

It makes me mad if they really are sucking on purpose. I find that offensive to my face and pocketbook. I just do.

Why does Howson still have a job?? How much more are fans supposed to put up with?

Old
03-25-2012, 06:33 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

I may be the minority, but I am still sad the games are coming to an end. I love being at the arena, cheering for the team. I just can't picture next year without Nash. He is the best thing about this team. I just love watching him play hockey. Amazing skills. Picture this team without him... ouch.

And ACA... where are you????? Maybe 5 fans in their section per game this month...? I never want to hear the claim that they support the team through thick and thin. Maybe Brian and 2 or 3 other members, props to them. I think they appeal to a certain demographics and the numbers in their membership may be impressive, but the 227 "cheering section" is a fail. Lotsa talk... little walk.

Derby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 06:48 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

The ACA was there, today, and frequently started the "Let's go Jackets" stuff. Unfortunately, the only other thing they do is chant the opposing goalie's name, followed by "you suck." This appears to be the absolute height of cleverness for them, but I dont share their infatuation with it.

Old
03-25-2012, 06:54 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby View Post
I may be the minority, but I am still sad the games are coming to an end. I love being at the arena, cheering for the team. I just can't picture next year without Nash. He is the best thing about this team. I just love watching him play hockey. Amazing skills. Picture this team without him... ouch.

And ACA... where are you????? Maybe 5 fans in their section per game this month...? I never want to hear the claim that they support the team through thick and thin. Maybe Brian and 2 or 3 other members, props to them. I think they appeal to a certain demographics and the numbers in their membership may be impressive, but the 227 "cheering section" is a fail. Lotsa talk... little walk.
Nash will be missed but that doesn't mean his shoes can't be filled, in fact, perhaps that's one of things the Jackets need-an empty shoe for others to fill. As for the ACA, it's hard for emotional type fans to show up during times as this; it reminds me of reading about the history of war, the losing nation only has the very young and very old left..

Old
03-25-2012, 06:56 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
whoopie.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:02 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
The ACA was there, today, and frequently started the "Let's go Jackets" stuff. Unfortunately, the only other thing they do is chant the opposing goalie's name, followed by "you suck." This appears to be the absolute height of cleverness for them, but I dont share their infatuation with it.
I don't care for "you suck" but as for the goalie name chants, Pete, that is not uncommon throughout the NHL (even Columbus non ACA fans at times in the past too).. The new Winnipeg crowd comes to mind of late as the best doing it but it's gone on long before them. I can't say I'm an ACA advocate but those folks are not Lepers either... to each his own within the rule of the land.

Last edited by Robert: 03-25-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old
03-25-2012, 07:05 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

I've always liked Ryan Jones. Wish he played for the CBJ.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote