HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Columbus vs. Edmonton | 3/25 3PM EDT

Old
03-26-2012, 08:56 AM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 50
I admit the timing could be better, but I still don't get the outrage. Professional players are conditioned not to dwell on wins or losses and move on to the next day. You want them to mope about it and carry on like little girls with skinned knees? They're men, at least young men, and let's be honest, what happened yesterday wasn't any worse than what's happened 40 other times this season so why eviscerate them now over some small talk?

It's a game, after all, and in one of many meaningless games to finish out the string, a few players talked about something other than hockey. The horror!

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 08:59 AM
Halfboard
mmmm, beer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
I admit the timing could be better, but I still don't get the outrage. Professional players are conditioned not to dwell on wins or losses and move on to the next day. You want them to mope about it and carry on like little girls with skinned knees? They're men, at least young men, and let's be honest, what happened yesterday wasn't any worse than what's happened 40 other times this season so why eviscerate them now over some small talk?

It's a game, after all, and in one of many meaningless games to finish out the string, a few players talked about something other than hockey. The horror!
The problem is, a lot of people on these boards liken pro sports to some Mickey-Mouse high school rah-rah experience..............

Halfboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 09:10 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
If they had tweeted about the NCAA basketball championships or the NASCAR race or the NBA would it have been OK?
Quoting myself because we're onto another page but I'd really like an answer to this.

Old
03-26-2012, 09:21 AM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Quoting myself because we're onto another page but I'd really like an answer to this.
Golf and the end of hockey season go hand in hand. An NHLer publically talking about golf as the regular season is coming to an end means that player most likely doesn't have a post season to gear up for.

I forget what team the CBJ were playing about 7-8 years ago at home. They were playing out the string like the seasons before. A player on the opposing team, from the bench gave a CBJ player the golf swing gesture, nothing more needed to be said. That is the universal sign for no playoffs for you.

That is why I don't like the golf talk. I could care less that these guys like to play golf, but after seeing that years ago, I can understand the dislike for the golf talk.

To answer your question about other sports being talked about on social media, it wouldn't matter as much had it been Bball or car racing.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 09:32 AM
blahblah

Quote:
You are looking at the stigma associated with golf over another sport eh?

I would prefer the players give the impression they are far more upset after a loss than what they gave. Securing the 30th place spot is pretty symbolic to the fan base. Some of these players may not have even been aware it occurred. Having said that I won't eviscerate them, as another Smurf suggested, unless I have 5 combo points.

I don't care that they tweeted about golf or Tiger Woods. Probably would have been smarter to not do it until the following day. I tended to get upset on the court and immediately after the game. But, by the time I got home, I was generally done and ready for the next game. People have different reactions to stress, some people probably would have issue with how I handled losses.

At any rate, we secured the 30th spot with a whimper. Much like we handled the rest of the season.

I can't see pick out the tree from the forest. There are some serious issues with this team outside of talent. Perhaps somewhere in the middle is the answer. Maybe some of these players don't care as much about winning as they need to.

I'll sit the fence on this one.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 09:42 AM
EspenK

Quote:
I'm not sure the Canadian guys even know what NASCAR is-and the NBA would be okay because I'm sure they'll see a lot of the Cavs on the early celebrity golf circuit.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 09:45 AM
Halfboard
mmmm, beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
I'm not sure the Canadian guys even know what NASCAR is
Yeah, because Canada doesn't have cars, or auto racing, or radios, or tv.........................................just lakes, trees, hunters, donuts & beer............................

Old
03-26-2012, 09:58 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfboard View Post
Yeah, because Canada doesn't have cars, or auto racing, or radios, or tv.........................................just lakes, trees, hunters, donuts & beer............................
Don't forget Moose. Used to head up to Montreal for the F1 race. Not sure any of the natives would acknowledge NASCAR existed unless it was to ridicule. Not that I blame them, F1 rocks.

Can't speak for EK, but I'm thinking you may have misunderstood his intent.

Old
03-26-2012, 10:18 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfboard View Post
I debated putting the guess I should have. Doh!

Old
03-26-2012, 10:35 AM
Halfboard
mmmm, beer

Quote:
I debated putting the guess I should have. Doh!
No sweat..............

Old
03-26-2012, 11:17 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

What is the proper protocol for after a win, or after a loss? For that matter, how about before a game at all?

I know during my football days, we were probably the most relaxed and loose team there was before a game. And after a game, win or loss, we handled it much the same. We were free to talk our hearts out on the bus both to and from, which anyone who played football at any level knows is extraordinarily uncommon. You might think that we were a mediocre team....quite the contrary. We were a playoff team every year, and a legitimate contender for the state championship. Our falling short had nothing to do with poor focus or too loose of an atmosphere; it was a combination of horrible breaks, very good opponents, and the natural ebb and flow of momentum within a game.

The fact is that this team has been competing and winning even after being mathematically eliminated. This is the second truly bad game since mid-February, and Edmonton is a team that for some reason is always a horrible matchup as it is.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 11:22 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Just bought a new

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Well, three days ago Ryan Johansen tweeted about sushi. As everyone knows, although the term "sushi" refers actually to the rice, it's generally a reference to the raw fish that accompanies it.

When a fish dies on its own, it normally goes belly-up in the water and floats. "Belly-up" is a term that also refers to "total failure". So Ryan Johansen was tweeting openly about total failure three days ago.

Also, sushi is a Japanese word. Although the Japanese have won skirmishes and battles in the 20th century, they also lost the only war that they were a major participant in. When faced with a divided cabinet, voting 3-3 on whether or not to continue the war, it was Emperor Hirohito who cast the deciding vote to end the war. This came after two Japanese cities were leveled by a single bomb each. One could say that this gave Hirohito....the nuclear...option?

Also, this would make Ryan Johansen either the ultimate insider, or the architect of everything. His home may well be the nexus of the universe, and we're sitting here talking about golf.
This was good.

03-26-2012, 11:27 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Just bought a new

Quote:
I suspect the only sports-related tweets that wouldn't violate the orthodoxies of the tr00 F.A.N.S would be Crew tweets.

Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 11:33 AM
EDM

Good lord, this is truly a lost thread. Someone put it out of its misery.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 11:45 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Just bought a new

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Even though I think it's kind of dumb, it's a nice change of pace from the usual complaining.

Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 11:49 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Lost thread for a lost season. Seems quite appropriate I'd say.

Old
03-26-2012, 11:50 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Even though I think it's kind of dumb, it's a nice change of pace from the usual complaining.

Doesn't sound like you at all.

ALERT!

Sam posting drunk..... again.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 12:00 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
"Put out of its misery" refers to the act of euthanizing a horse, for whom even an apparently minor injury can be catastrophic. However, people who are not familiar with the anatomy of a horse can often question why a hairline fracture or a hoof inflammation should lead to something drastic. They tend to often accuse people involved in equine science of applying a drastic solution to a very minor problem, and failing to look at the entire picture. A horse is injured, and he's still injured a month later. Any improvements in its condition must be discarded; it's either healed or it's not, and absolutely no talk about "improvement" or "getting better, but not there yet" or "once this clears up, we're in good shape" will be tolerated.

Considering who I'm responding to, this seems quite fitting.

Old
03-26-2012, 12:17 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Earlier, I was all set to argue the point, but it's just so absurd to me, I no longer care. A big shakeshead to the entire subject.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 12:25 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
"Put out of its misery" refers to the act of euthanizing a horse, for whom even an apparently minor injury can be catastrophic. However, people who are not familiar with the anatomy of a horse can often question why a hairline fracture or a hoof inflammation should lead to something drastic. They tend to often accuse people involved in equine science of applying a drastic solution to a very minor problem, and failing to look at the entire picture. A horse is injured, and he's still injured a month later. Any improvements in its condition must be discarded; it's either healed or it's not, and absolutely no talk about "improvement" or "getting better, but not there yet" or "once this clears up, we're in good shape" will be tolerated.

Considering who I'm responding to, this seems quite fitting.
Are you Cliff Claven?

Last edited by SuperGenius: 03-26-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old
03-26-2012, 12:55 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Are you Cliff Claven?
...and the categories are: Civil Servants, Stamps from Around the World, Mothers and Sons, Beer, Bar Trivia, and Celibacy.

"The roots of the physical aggression found in the male species are in the the DNA molecule itself. In fact, the very letters DNA are an acronym for 'Dames are Not Aggressors'."

Old
03-26-2012, 01:39 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
I think this is the first time I could say I've legitimately enjoyed postgame posts in one of these GDTs in a long, long time.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 01:57 PM
EDM

Coming from the last Howsonite, what more could be expected of you?

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 02:00 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I think this is the first time I could say I've legitimately enjoyed postgame posts in one of these GDTs in a long, long time.
She lives! Search parties being recalled.

Old
03-26-2012, 02:00 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Coming from the last Howsonite, what more could be expected of you?
My expectations were exceeded.