HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

General Talk '12 — Latvia

Closed Thread

Old
05-21-2012, 09:07 AM
Justinov

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Mustokovs has to get into swedish elitserien if he wants to be taken seriously back here in latvia.
He starts with allsvenskan...little step on the way....hell most of our non-NHL players play in allsvenskan.....basically all our defence....(yep, thats why they suck ).

Old
05-21-2012, 09:08 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
He starts with allsvenskan...little step on the way....hell most of our non-NHL players play in allsvenskan.....basically all our defence....(yep, thats why they suck ).
So there you have it-Mustokovs will suck until he gets into SEL

Old
05-21-2012, 09:12 AM
BalticWarrior

So Justinov we have Meija,Cipulis,cibulskis,lavins,sotnieks what were the players that sucked on your team?

Old
05-21-2012, 09:13 AM
Justinov

Quote:
So there you have it-Mustokovs will suck until he gets into SEL
Well when you meat Malkin and Zetterberg and Thoresen...allsvenskan defence doesn't really cut it...
But all goalies can have a hot night....it's just more likely the better they are!
But certainly Mustukovs would probably have been great if he had played against Denmark....you made a tactical mistake there (he would have been in fire because he played in the danish league).

Old
05-21-2012, 09:28 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Well when you meat Malkin and Zetterberg and Thoresen...allsvenskan defence doesn't really cut it...
But all goalies can have a hot night....it's just more likely the better they are!
But certainly Mustukovs would probably have been great if he had played against Denmark....you made a tactical mistake there (he would have been in fire because he played in the danish league).
Maybe,maybe not, it`s hard to tell now,well see how he will play in Allsvenskan this season.

Old
05-21-2012, 04:37 PM
zorz

I see you were discussing Masalskis here. He seems to be clear number 1 for Latvia right now for a while, but how long do you think that will last? And who are the goalies in the pipeline to take over after Masalskis era?

Old
05-21-2012, 05:10 PM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
I see you were discussing Masalskis here. He seems to be clear number 1 for Latvia right now for a while, but how long do you think that will last? And who are the goalies in the pipeline to take over after Masalskis era?
We currently have two U18 goalies in Switzerland, Merzlikins and Punnenovs who looks promising, but you can never be sure with goalies.

Old
05-21-2012, 11:32 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
Well next in line could be either Jucers or Mustukovs,but as ozo mentioned above we have a few young goalie prospects aswell

Last edited by BalticWarrior: 05-21-2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old
05-21-2012, 11:44 PM
BalticWarrior

Whats good for Latvia in 2013 wc is that almost all our leaders wont be playing in dinamo riga but leading clubs of khl Darzins-Akbars M.Redlihs-Lokomativ Sprukts-CSKA only Karsums will stay with Riga. i think we need this diversity so to speak and it will bring improvements i`m confident.

Old
05-22-2012, 04:58 AM
DrStrangelife

For quite some time I've been wanting to ask a question, but have kept forgetting.

After Latvia gained its independence, our NT line-up consisted mostly from quite old players that were in their 30s or late 30s and we basically had no young players - we had such roster for quite some time, hence there was no surprise that our team got very fast tired and after hard fought games we seemed tired the next games too. But that didn't surprise me due to the avg age that our team had.

What keeps surprising me is how come our team still keeps getting that tired??? We have a completely new team with new, young players. Against stronger teams we play maybe 1 or 2 periods good, but then during the 3rd we crawl back into our defensive zone and we are unable to do anything. How come all the elite top teams, don't have such an obvious problem. They can play back-to-back games with the same speed and with the same intensity. I know that we aren't as skilled as Russia, Sweden or Canada, but isn't stamina based on simple factors such as regular workouts??? i know we can't dominate like top elite teams can, because such domination must rely on skill, but with good stamina, we could make hustle plays and we could convert good defense into fast counter attacks, instead of just throwing the puck away or making stupid turnovers. I know that our players are just human, but the gap in our strength between an top elite team is huge. How come D. Alfredson (age 39) can play all 5 minutes on a PP in the 3rd period (it was during this WC: Rus-Swe) not mentioning his God-like performances in NHL??

Is the answer to my question as simple as that our team doesn't work out properly or is there a secrete that I don't know due to my lack of Ice-hockey knowledge???

Last edited by DrStrangelife: 05-22-2012 at 05:18 AM.
Old
05-22-2012, 06:47 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrStrangelife View Post
For quite some time I've been wanting to ask a question, but have kept forgetting.

After Latvia gained its independence, our NT line-up consisted mostly from quite old players that were in their 30s or late 30s and we basically had no young players - we had such roster for quite some time, hence there was no surprise that our team got very fast tired and after hard fought games we seemed tired the next games too. But that didn't surprise me due to the avg age that our team had.

What keeps surprising me is how come our team still keeps getting that tired??? We have a completely new team with new, young players. Against stronger teams we play maybe 1 or 2 periods good, but then during the 3rd we crawl back into our defensive zone and we are unable to do anything. How come all the elite top teams, don't have such an obvious problem. They can play back-to-back games with the same speed and with the same intensity. I know that we aren't as skilled as Russia, Sweden or Canada, but isn't stamina based on simple factors such as regular workouts??? i know we can't dominate like top elite teams can, because such domination must rely on skill, but with good stamina, we could make hustle plays and we could convert good defense into fast counter attacks, instead of just throwing the puck away or making stupid turnovers. I know that our players are just human, but the gap in our strength between an top elite team is huge. How come D. Alfredson (age 39) can play all 5 minutes on a PP in the 3rd period (it was during this WC: Rus-Swe) not mentioning his God-like performances in NHL??

Is the answer to my question as simple as that our team doesn't work out properly or is there a secrete that I don't know due to my lack of Ice-hockey knowledge???
You answered your own question

Old
05-22-2012, 10:41 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Whats good for Latvia in 2013 wc is that almost all our leaders wont be playing in dinamo riga but leading clubs of khl Darzins-Akbars M.Redlihs-Lokomativ Sprukts-CSKA only Karsums will stay with Riga. i think we need this diversity so to speak and it will bring improvements i`m confident.
With Dinamo Riga loosing these key players....who will replace them?
Will they upgrade latvian players or will the try to buy top players from other countries?

Last edited by Justinov: 05-22-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old
05-22-2012, 11:05 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrStrangelife View Post
That could be a reason, but it would still surprise me if it was the only explanation.
When you play the big nations you will use more energy for staying even, than they are doing. The big nations have so many skilled players that they probably better can "economisize" with their energy. Lot's of NHL experience will also make you learn that the hard way.

Maybe it's not the latvian style to "throw" games early in a tournament when they think they have a chance against the big nations and then they simply work too hard and run out of gas. Then they don't have time to recuperate and so they are burnout in the last of the group games.
The Czech have a fantastic economic style of playing hockey (but it takes skill and coolness to do it) and that's why they often do well in the playoffs since they still have the energy (even though it doesn't look that impressive in the group stage).

Old
05-22-2012, 11:16 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
With Dinamo Riga loosing these key players....who will replace them?
Will they upgrade latvian players or will the try to buy top players from other countries?
They`ll search for players from Elitserien,SM-liiga,AHL and also incorporating young guys like Indrasis and Bicevskis and maybe there will be some more suprises from our junior teams and more "unpolished gems" as i like to call these young guys who get underrated

Old
05-22-2012, 11:45 AM
Justinov

Quote:
They`ll search for players from Elitserien,SM-liiga,AHL and also incorporating young guys like Indrasis and Bicevskis and maybe there will be some more suprises from our junior teams and more "unpolished gems" as i like to call these young guys who get underrated
Any talks who they might want, or is it all top secret yet?

Old
05-22-2012, 11:56 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Any talks who they might want, or is it all top secret yet?
Well from ahl we get ivanans but hes not going to be scorer as you may understand,then theres a signed contract with goalie Mikkeal Telquist but apart from that theres no other info yet,as i understand we are going to sign 5 more players(non-latvians)

Closed Thread