HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

General Talk '12 — Latvia

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2012, 10:21 AM
Namejs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
what's the score with France?
Scoreless after the 2nd period.

We dominated the 1st period, quite a few chances wasted. Things went to a halt in the 2nd one, we played with no passion, a dull period of hockey overall.

By the way, we're playing without our first line and without our leading defenders (no Sprukts, Rēdlihs, Daugaviņš, Pujacs, Jerofejevs, Galviņš, Bārtulis).

Old
04-30-2012, 11:25 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Ugly ending to the game and we can't score to save our lives no matter how dominant we might look for a long stretches of the game. Indrasis is a lock to make the WC now. Who knows, maybe I should stop hating him...

Old
04-30-2012, 11:35 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
Ugly ending to the game and we can't score to save our lives no matter how dominant we might look for a long stretches of the game. Indrasis is a lock to make the WC now. Who knows, maybe I should stop hating him...
Indrasis shows that he has willingness and tools to make this team.
Good for him also consider how many player we missed Daugavinsh,Redlihs,Bartulis,Pujacs,Masalskis,Spruk ts
This team that played with france was far from complete.

Last edited by BalticWarrior: 04-30-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old
05-01-2012, 11:04 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
3:0 over france so far

Old
05-01-2012, 11:06 AM
cska78

3:1 now

Old
05-01-2012, 11:10 AM
ozo

At least we scored some decent goals. We had 4 goals in past 3 games 3 of these were flat out flukes. Though Meija has nice goal streak going on.

Still by the looks of it, if we are going achieve anything this year it will by hard work and team effort rather than with skill or slick play. Our only offensive weapon could be our PP, who finally is functioning like it's supposed to. It will be interesting to see who will be cut because there's no real outcasts on our roster.

Old
05-01-2012, 11:11 AM
cska78

Quote:
At least we scored some decent goals. We had 4 goals in past 3 games 3 of these were flat out flukes. Though Meija has nice goal streak going on.

Still by the looks of it, if we are going achieve anything this year it will by hard work and team effort rather than with skill or slick play. Our only offensive weapon could be our PP, who finally is functioning like it's supposed to. It will be interesting to see who will be cut because there's no real outcasts on our roster.
well Meja's goal was pretty nice, but he was left so alone for so long...long enough to wind up and slap it

Old
05-01-2012, 11:12 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:

Meija could be a suprise this year,also Indrasis is looking good.

Old
05-01-2012, 11:20 AM
ozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
well Meja's goal was pretty nice, but he was left so alone for so long...long enough to wind up and slap it
I was referring to goals scored in previous games. Both or goals against Russia was as flukey as they can be and our first goal yesterday was scored on delayed penalty when French team was waiting for a whistle and didn't even move anymore.

Old
05-01-2012, 11:26 AM
BalticWarrior

We really have to improve on our defence and neutral zone if we want to beat teams like Russia and Czech rep.

Old
05-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Namejs

I don't like how we played against France AT ALL. Team chemistry seems to have disappeared. We're slow with the puck, making loads of mistakes all over the place. Ugly, ugly, ugly.

Sotnieks hasn't been very convincing the 2nd game in a row, imho. Do we need him? Why isn't Jerofejevs playing?

Old
05-01-2012, 12:14 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namejs View Post
I don't like how we played against France AT ALL. Team chemistry seems to have disappeared. We're slow with the puck, making loads of mistakes all over the place. Ugly, ugly, ugly.

Sotnieks hasn't been very convincing the 2nd game in a row, imho. Do we need him? Why isn't Jerofejevs playing?
Jerofejevs is sick,and yeah i think we should get rid of sotnieks.
About team chemistry ofcourse it`s not there yet,because of all the new players,but i`m confident it will be top notch in wc,i trust in nolan

Last edited by BalticWarrior: 05-01-2012 at 12:15 PM. Reason: typo
Old
05-02-2012, 05:02 AM
Latgale_fan

Quote:
Well, a bunch of new players was added. Ironically, even thouh result was better yesterday I like the first game vs France a lot better in terms of chances we got at least. But that's cause a lot of new guys were added, I suppose... Nolan gave a lot of chances to young players and when the team was missing key players it actually didn't perform much worse, 2 wins vs Denmark, loss in SO Czech, win in SO vs French.

Hard to say what this team can do. I don't think we'll allow a lot of goals but certainly doesn't seem we'll score many too. Then again other teams we have to face also don't like that great at the moment, Danes won 4-2 vs Italians but looked like a team that could as well lose, Norvegians had lost to this French team before... so, we aren't like in some sort of very bad position

Old
05-02-2012, 06:48 AM
Namejs

The official roster:
Edgars Masaļskis, Māris Jučers, Ervīns Muštukovs

Guntis Galviņš, Krišjānis Rēdlihs, Oskars Cibuļskis, Oskars Bārtulis, Georgijs Pujacs, Kristaps Sotnieks, Rodrigo Laviņš, Jānis Andersons

Miks Indrašis, Jānis Sprukts, Miķelis Rēdlihs, Kaspars Daugaviņš, Aleksejs Širokovs, Mārtiņš Cipulis, Roberts Bukarts, Andris Džeriņš, Gints Meija, Armands Bērziņš, Juris Štāls, Kaspars Saulietis, Koba Jass, Ronalds Ķēniņš

Ankipāns, Jekimovs, Jerofejevs injured.

The only surprise(?) I guess is that Tribuncovs didn't make it and Andersons is in. Also not sure why Muštukovs was picked over Raitums.

Old
05-02-2012, 08:00 AM
v-man

I'm not sure what to expect. By all means this is a young B or C Latvian team, with quite a few of the top guys missing, but the kids have impressed me with their play and effort in the exhibition games. Hopefully they can keep it up and stay competitive in every game, but with the new format, I hope they don't get tired out too quickly and not have anything left for the second round.

As a side note, it's pissing me off that once again the official merchandiser has screwed up the dimensions of the Latvian flag. How do they expect to sell merch when they can't get something so basic right? They've simply recoloured the Austrian flag. What proud Latvian would walk around with this crap? Would an American buy a shirt or hat if the flag only had three stripes and five stars? I doubt it.

Old
05-02-2012, 08:40 AM
BalticWarrior

Woo so excited for WC,only 4 days left

Old
05-02-2012, 09:43 AM
ozo

Hard not to be suspicious about some DR bias in the National team after seeing Tribuncovs being cut... Also, it's kinda sad that Ankipans went down, but Jass actually has worked his ass off for this opportunity so let's wish him luck.

Old
05-02-2012, 09:44 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Hard not to be suspicious about some DR bias in the National team after seeing Tribuncovs being cut... Also, it's kinda sad that Ankipans went down, but Jass actually has worked his ass off for this opportunity so let's wish him luck.
Oh come on,these conspiracy theories need to stop now...

Old
05-02-2012, 03:57 PM
Latgale_fan

Quote:
I don't think we'll benefit much from either having or not having Tribuncovs... If Nolan thought youth worked harder or in any other way was better than him, let's take (relatively) young players instead. Didn't see the goals from blue line some expected from him, did I...

Old
05-02-2012, 10:44 PM
Namejs

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
I'm not sure what to expect. By all means this is a young B or C Latvian team, with quite a few of the top guys missing, but the kids have impressed me with their play and effort in the exhibition games. Hopefully they can keep it up and stay competitive in every game, but with the new format, I hope they don't get tired out too quickly and not have anything left for the second round.
I agree that the effort's there and the exhibition games were better than expected overall, but there's no way this is a Latvian C team.

Yes, the old guard (Vasiļjevs, Ņiživijs, Ozoliņš) has retired from the national team, guys like Jēkabs Rēdlihs, Reķis, Māris Jass, Kulda, Jerofejevs, Karsums, Dārziņš, Ankipāns, Jekimovs, Ivanāns and the new kids (Girgensons, Pelšs) couldn't join the team this year, the older players like Macijevskis or Tribuncovs can't make the team anymore, BUT the difference between this year's roster and the previous one is not that significant. It's actually quite small.

Even calling this a B team would be a bit of a stretch. We're not missing 20 or 25 guys.

Old
05-02-2012, 10:53 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
I agree that the effort's there and the exhibition games were better than expected overall, but there's no way this is a Latvian C team.

Yes, the old guard (Vasiļjevs, Ņiživijs, Ozoliņš) has retired from the national team, guys like Jēkabs Rēdlihs, Reķis, Māris Jass, Kulda, Jerofejevs, Karsums, Dārziņš, Ankipāns, Jekimovs, Ivanāns and the new kids (Girgensons, Pelšs) couldn't join the team this year, the older players like Macijevskis or Tribuncovs can't make the team anymore, BUT the difference between this year's roster and the previous one is not that significant. It's actually quite small.

Even calling this a B team would be a bit of a stretch. We're not missing 20 or 25 guys.
Pelss is an amazing player, I really enjoy seeing him play with the Oil Kings and hopefully with the Oilers one day. He would have been a great asset to the Latvian team.

05-03-2012, 01:18 AM
v-man

Quote:

Latvia has less than 50 realistic candidates to draw from, it doesn't need that many guys missing for it to be a B or C team. They're missing two of their top 4 forwards with Karsums and Darziņš out (I won't include Vasiljevs and Ņiživijs, who by all accounts could still play for a year or two and make the team better than it is at the moment). Realistically, Štāls, Ķēniņš, Bērziņš and Jass really have no business being on the team. They're only there because of injuries to superior players, including Jekimovs. Kulda would add some much needed physicality to the defense, and Reķis some veteran leadership. I'm not too confident with Sotnieks and Laviņš (who's past his prime) there. J. Rēdlihs I'm not too high on even if he was available. The defense is over-all a lot more solid than the forwards, but it's still by all accounts at best a B team since they're missing a good quarter of their top players (not to mention Girgensons and Pelšs, who I'd prefer over the young guys on the current squad).

Old
05-03-2012, 03:39 AM
Namejs

Fair enough.

BTW, I've just realized that (by the looks of it) our coaches haven't left any spots for possible NA additions. Kulda might be out of the play-offs as early as Tuesday, leaving him plenty of time to join the team and play at least a couple of games. Not sure about Pelšs, but in any case this begs the question: why?

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Old
05-03-2012, 05:58 AM
BalticWarrior

I`m really suprised that Indrasis has made this this team,he deserved it,lets see how he does in WC.

Old
05-03-2012, 10:03 AM
ozo

Quote:
BTW, I've just realized that (by the looks of it) our coaches haven't left any spots for possible NA additions. Kulda might be out of the play-offs as early as Tuesday, leaving him plenty of time to join the team and play at least a couple of games. Not sure about Pelšs, but in any case this begs the question: why?

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
I'd say it's a good decision, I am sick and tired of waiting these players to join our team in mid-tournament who actually doesn't bring that much to our team. Look how akward we looked against France trying to gel in Daugavins and Bartulis already. As I already wrote if we are going to achieve anything in this tournament, it will be done by collective rather than individuals. Also I'm a big fan of Kulda, but I'm not sure Europeans refs agrees with me.

Closed Thread