HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

General Talk '12 — Latvia

Closed Thread

Old
05-03-2012, 05:07 PM
Balderis19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
I'd say it's a good decision, I am sick and tired of waiting these players to join our team in mid-tournament who actually doesn't bring that much to our team. Look how akward we looked against France trying to gel in Daugavins and Bartulis already. As I already wrote if we are going to achieve anything in this tournament, it will be done by collective rather than individuals. Also I'm a big fan of Kulda, but I'm not sure Europeans refs agrees with me.
I get your point. Butin the case of Daugy, I think he showed in this one game why he played in the NHL this season. One of the very few guys who can actually make something happen. At least at this level. Especially when it comes to playing Norway, Denmark that extra something is so needed.

Old
05-04-2012, 10:39 AM
BalticWarrior

Oh come on they don`t even think we`re contenders to QF!

Old
05-04-2012, 10:56 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Who. Cares.

Old
05-05-2012, 09:19 AM
Namejs
Cipuli iemet ripuli

The Latvian roster for today's game:

Masaļskis (Jučers)

Sprukts – M.Rēdlihs – Indrašis
Daugaviņš – Širokovs – Cipulis
Bukarts – Džeriņš – Meija
Saulietis – Bērziņš – Štāls
Jass.

Galviņš – K.Rēdlihs
Bārtulis – Cibuļskis
Sotnieks – Pujacs
Laviņš.

I still can't quite deal with the fact that Indrašis is in the 1st line. Not one line is standing out, don't know what to expect. Not sure if this is going to help scoring-wise.

Old
05-05-2012, 09:41 AM
ozo

Well, I was critical of Kenins but I'm not so sure I'd pick Stals over him. Let's grind this one out!

Old
05-05-2012, 03:27 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
I didn't realize Oskars Bartulis was there

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
05-05-2012, 04:53 PM
Like Wall
I am Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namejs View Post
I still can't quite deal with the fact that Indrašis is in the 1st line. Not one line is standing out, don't know what to expect. Not sure if this is going to help scoring-wise.
He did score, but was it an accident?

Old
05-05-2012, 05:02 PM
ozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Like Wall View Post
He did score, but was it an accident?
Accident? No. Lucky? Absolutely.

Old
05-06-2012, 05:55 AM
BalticWarrior

Dzerins in todays game will be replaced by Kenins.Good call by coaches.

Old
05-06-2012, 06:06 PM
Latgale_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Dzerins in todays game will be replaced by Kenins.Good call by coaches.
Bukarts and Laviņš could follow.... Really disappointed, Bukarts seemed to be growing up and maturing as a great player, sure we all know he's a typical lazy Russian small forward and can score but... maybe he should change the team (or change attitude towards hockey he's playing) as in Dinamo I don't see Rautakallio trusting im much and Nolan obviously calls him out about not working as hard as he should...

Otherwise a very good result today, 3 points already for us (after 2 games the same number as we had after 4 last year )

Yeah you can point out that Indrašis is not ready for this and that (and he isn't really, on many accounts), but he's gone 2+1 in 2 games, out of team's 5 goals 3 has been scored by the 1st line and 2 rest by the 2nd line... Would we score more goals if we put Daugavins on the 1st line in Indrasis place, created 1 ''super line'' and there would be no other line that could score...?

Old
05-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Namejs
Cipuli iemet ripuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latgale_fan View Post
typical lazy Russian

I don't like Bukarts either. But then again he only played 8 minutes today.

Old
05-07-2012, 04:18 AM
Buddhaa

One thing I realized during the Yesterday's game against Germany - the Latvian team has gotten bigger during the last 10 or so years. I remember that we always had a rep for having small skill (wel...) players and having trouble with teams such as Germany due to their players being significantly superior in height, weight and stamina. Yestrday it was clear that while we are on average still a bit smaller and lighter, the difference is no longer significant.

I also checked the height and weight parameters of our players (http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/272/IHM2720LAT_33_1_0.pdf) - there are only two players with height less than 180 (5'11) - Masalskis and Lavins. Two players are 180 (5'11) - Mikelis Redlihs and Cipulis. The rest are 180+, where we have four players with height 190+ (6'3) - Bartulis, Berzins, Stals and the young Indrasis.

Old
05-07-2012, 04:37 AM
Latgale_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhaa View Post
One thing I realized during the Yesterday's game against Germany - the Latvian team has gotten bigger during the last 10 or so years. I remember that we always had a rep for having small skill (wel...) players and having trouble with teams such as Germany due to their players being significantly superior in height, weight and stamina. Yestrday it was clear that while we are on average still a bit smaller and lighter, the difference is no longer significant.

I also checked the height and weight parameters of our players (http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/272/IHM2720LAT_33_1_0.pdf) - there are only two players with height less than 180 (5'11) - Masalskis and Lavins. Two players are 180 (5'11) - Mikelis Redlihs and Cipulis. The rest are 180+, where we have four players with height 190+ (6'3) - Bartulis, Berzins, Stals and the young Indrasis.
Accrding to eliteprospects, we're the 3rd tallest team in the tournament, though only 9th as concerns weight and 5th youngest...

Old
05-07-2012, 05:12 AM
Like Wall
I am Registered User

Quote:
he's a typical lazy Russian
He's Russian?

Old
05-07-2012, 06:54 AM
ozo

Quote:
He's Russian?
I guess you are the only one who didn't get what LaAtgale fan meant with that statement.

Old
05-07-2012, 07:38 AM
Like Wall
I am Registered User

Quote:
I guess you are the only one who didn't get what LaAtgale fan meant with that statement.
So he meant to make fun of Latvian average fan based on Russian stereotypes about Latvia. Not a good joke at all.

Old
05-07-2012, 07:58 AM
ozo

Quote:
So he meant to make fun of Latvian average fan based on Russian stereotypes about Latvia. Not a good joke at all.
^ One hell of a conspiracy theory. Latgale Fan simply described Bukarts playing style and that's it. Bukarts would fit right in with the past generation forwards who cared about the game only when the puck was on their stick.

Old
05-07-2012, 08:48 AM
Like Wall
I am Registered User

Quote:
^ One hell of a conspiracy theory. Latgale Fan simply described Bukarts playing style and that's it. Bukarts would fit right in with the past generation forwards who cared about the game only when the puck was on their stick.
Then be more specific, because if I didn't get it, the foreigners wouldn't get it either. Simply say this - Bukarts likes cherry picking!

Old
05-07-2012, 09:12 AM
Like Wall
I am Registered User

The old man Vasiļjevs would have few words for those types:

Old
05-07-2012, 01:17 PM
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man

Quote:
Then be more specific, because if I didn't get it, the foreigners wouldn't get it either. Simply say this - Bukarts likes cherry picking!
Nah, I loved Latgale_fan's description. Right on the spot and funny. I don't even think it counts as an "inside" joke.

On a different note, I'm a bit afraid of Norway. Sure, we're capable of losing points to Italy and taking some from Sweden/Czech, but a defeat vs Norway scares me so much more.

Old
05-07-2012, 02:51 PM
Like Wall
I am Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpoing View Post
On a different note, I'm a bit afraid of Norway. Sure, we're capable of losing points to Italy and taking some from Sweden/Czech, but a defeat vs Norway scares me so much more.
I know what you mean.

Old
05-07-2012, 02:57 PM
ozo

I'm a real coward, because I'm scared of everyone. Still remember painful losses to Denmark and Italy...

Old
05-07-2012, 03:08 PM
Like Wall
I am Registered User

Quote:
I'm a real coward, because I'm scared of everyone. Still remember painful losses to Denmark and Italy...
Fear is good. Gives that extra dose of adrenaline and teaches to respect the opponent, doesn't let one become overconfident. If our guys are moderately scared of the opponents it can only help.

Old
05-07-2012, 05:49 PM
Latgale_fan

Quote:
I should've said sth like he's a player who's playing that Russian/Soviet style of hockey, not that big forward who's highly skilled but avoids physical game as a plague plus what ozo said...
Though of course there are some who want to mix in politics and say that Latvian hockey doesn't have anything to do with Russians and that we have our own style of hockey and that in Soviet times too our players were unique among other Soviet players and weren't coached by Tikhonov and Yurzinov and didn't want to grow up and be like Russian stars of 70-80s Dinamo Riga...

Ok it might be a bit unfair to call Bukarts a ''lazy Russian small skilled forward" as during our independence our game has also changed and became sort of like a hybrid of NA and Soviet styles but he's pretty much what Nizivijs and Kercs etc. were before him... Lauris also isn't keen on playing more physical game.

Bukarts can clearly score vs Denmark, Austria or Slovenia... or mediocre DEL or Swiss clubs (at least with the help of luck) as we saw in Spengler Cup but he seems to be stagnating at the level he's at now. One year before Indrašis definitely wasn't better than him but despite even Nolan noticing Miks, Indrašis looked more like a complete player in MHL for me than Bukarts did, at least judging by what I saw in play-offs...

Old
05-07-2012, 06:30 PM
ozo

Quote:
I should've said sth like he's a player who's playing that Russian/Soviet style of hockey, not that big forward who's highly skilled but avoids physical game as a plague plus what ozo said...
Though of course there are some who want to mix in politics and say that Latvian hockey doesn't have anything to do with Russians and that we have our own style of hockey and that in Soviet times too our players were unique among other Soviet players and weren't coached by Tikhonov and Yurzinov and didn't want to grow up and be like Russian stars of 70-80s Dinamo Riga...

Ok it might be a bit unfair to call Bukarts a ''lazy Russian small skilled forward" as during our independence our game has also changed and became sort of like a hybrid of NA and Soviet styles but he's pretty much what Nizivijs and Kercs etc. were before him... Lauris also isn't keen on playing more physical game.

Bukarts can clearly score vs Denmark, Austria or Slovenia... or mediocre DEL or Swiss clubs (at least with the help of luck) as we saw in Spengler Cup but he seems to be stagnating at the level he's at now. One year before Indrašis definitely wasn't better than him but despite even Nolan noticing Miks, Indrašis looked more like a complete player in MHL for me than Bukarts did, at least judging by what I saw in play-offs...
Solid post but I'd like to add to hybrid-style theory. Yes, we are style-wise somewhere in the middle of classic Soviet hockey and classic NA hockey. You can clearly see why Kazakhs and to even more extreme degree Ukrainians can't keep with teams like France, Austria or Italy - both countries haven't realized that you can't win anymore by simply outplaying everyone, those days are long gone. To me there's no other reason why Kazakhstan looked so brutal against France despite in my eyes having players at least of the same (if not better) level than France. Yet at the same time, we see that we can successfully use Sirokovs or even Jass (players from weaker Kazakh teams).

Little bit of extra effort goes a long way, but I still don't think we're playing typical NA hockey. The generation we see now playing still hasn't bought into it full-heartedly. Yes we play more active hockey at both ends, but we still check opponents because coach says so and not because player's themselves believe that checking in modern hockey is a must. Cibulskis, both D Redlihs (not even mentioning old farts like Lavins) are really soft for a modern defensemen. They have the size but they refuse to use their body to a full extent. I hate to see that they so often refuse to take the hit to make the play after opponent dumps the puck behind their back (just pay closer attention to this in the next game, you'll notice this too). That's way I'm a big fan of Sotnieks (although he recently hasn't been too good), he's our meanest Europe-based defensemen, he's by no means a an upper class player, but he at least comes somewhat close in grit department to Bartulis or Kulda.

Although I don't think (rather hope) we ever will play a classic NA hockey, but there's still some tidbits left to be desired without becoming overly North-South hockey nation.

Closed Thread