HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

General Talk '12 — Latvia

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2012, 06:15 AM
WeberStreit

vCash: 500
How has Ronalds Kenins played so far? I was surprised as I read about him on the Latvian team in todays newspaper. Didn't thought they had him on the radar.

Old
05-09-2012, 09:40 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeberStreit View Post
How has Ronalds Kenins played so far? I was surprised as I read about him on the Latvian team in todays newspaper. Didn't thought they had him on the radar.
He played already last year. Well to me he looks average, but everyone raves and overhypes every little thing he does well. Yesterday scored very lucky deflected goal, to broke his record most appearances made without getting a single point for NT. He still is raw, but if keeps progressing he'll be NT player for a long time.

Old
05-09-2012, 05:13 PM
Latgale_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
Well to me he looks average, but everyone raves and overhypes every little thing he does well. Yesterday scored very lucky deflected goal, to broke his record most appearances made without getting a single point for NT.
I believe, from forwards, Štāls holds that record... Still no goal after 21 appearances in WC and first assist in 13th game for the NT. Could be wrong, though. Haven't looked futher, just dug it out from my memory and checked with eliteprospects. Though maybe he scored in some Olympic qualification but I looked only at WC and OG.

Ķēniņš is ok, runs around, checks. As you said, nothing special , but Nolan likes workers and as fans love Nolan, at the moment they like everything he does... I can't believe what can fans tolerate when there are wins. Nolan says he doesn't analyse other teams- fine, Nolan says he doesn't prepare players for PP- fine, Nolan gives PP to 4th (checking) line- fine, in a very important game he gives last shift to recent addition Ķēniņš instead of 1st line that has already played together- fine (imagine what kind of sh**storm would there be if Germans tied it 3-3 and won in OT or SO). It all works at the moment so fans love everything... I can see how Nolan could get kicked out of NHL for this kind of attitude and sure, if we start to lose, these all things will come back to Nolan from fans to haunt him... But until that, we all love what coach Nolan does, even if sometimes looks like he doesn't do anything (at least on the bench) Sure if he was Russian Znaroks, instead of Canadian one time NHL best, some would say the real mastermind behind the team's game is Ābols...

Last edited by Latgale_fan: 05-09-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old
05-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Latgale_fan

I think what elevates this team above previous versions are not really the forwards as we obviously lack in this department but the fact how impressive our top D-men have been. Bārtulis had a ****** year (injury-wise) in AHL but he plays here really like an NHL defensemen and we see he has that quality. Also next 3 have had probably their best carrer seasons this year, Galviņš had 30 points in KHL this year (that would put him among top 3-4 scorers among our forwards too, in terms of production in big league) and he's contibuting more to Indrašis success than, say, forward Rēdlihs on his line... Krišjānis also had the best carrer year (as regards points) and so did Pujacs, who just oozes confidence.

Of course, if we talk about the rest of D-men, they're pretty average bunch but we always have had enough of decent D-men. But Galviņš in this WC really continues to impress me, if he continues like that he'll soon also become a millionaire in KHL...

Old
05-10-2012, 03:57 AM
ozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latgale_fan View Post
I believe, from forwards, Štāls holds that record... Still no goal after 21 appearances in WC and first assist in 13th game for the NT. Could be wrong, though. Haven't looked futher, just dug it out from my memory and checked with eliteprospects. Though maybe he scored in some Olympic qualification but I looked only at WC and OG.
I wasn't talking about official games specifically because Kenins had no points at all - not even in exhibition games. Didn't realize that Stals has such an unwanted streak going on.

Old
05-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Like Wall

Game against Czechs shows where our place is. And it is not in QF. Everyone can win Italy. Those slavs just know how to break us. It's the same old story over and over again. We are miserable, and victory over Germany was a coincidence. we will lose against Norway and barely win Denmark, but since for Denmark it's a game for survival, they will probably beat the hell out of us. Czechs played terrible hockey, but they won. We've never defeated them, and probably never will. Goodbye, QF! Goodbye, Nolan!

Old
05-10-2012, 04:10 PM
Like Wall

Here's what the old man, again, has to say about today's game. Take "Kerčs" name out and put the whole team instead.

Old
05-10-2012, 11:09 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Like Wall View Post
Here's what the old man, again, has to say about today's game. Take "Kerčs" name out and put the whole team instead.

Not all team but rather daugavins and cibulskis.

Old
05-10-2012, 11:10 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Game against Czechs shows where our place is. And it is not in QF. Everyone can win Italy. Those slavs just know how to break us. It's the same old story over and over again. We are miserable, and victory over Germany was a coincidence. we will lose against Norway and barely win Denmark, but since for Denmark it's a game for survival, they will probably beat the hell out of us. Czechs played terrible hockey, but they won. We've never defeated them, and probably never will. Goodbye, QF! Goodbye, Nolan!
Are you ****in` kidding me? i suppose you`re trolling ,because this cant be serious.
We play faster and better than norway and denmark,we are very likely to be in QF,we showed great hockey but its not enough against this kind of calibre team,we just don`t have the skill yet.And saying that Czechs played terrible hockey is absolutley *********ing ridicilous. Pathetic reaction from an average latvian hockey fan,when we win our team is heros destined for gold medals if we lose in a close fight,then we are pathetic team not destined for QF.ever.

Last edited by BalticWarrior: 05-11-2012 at 01:17 AM.
Old
05-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Namejs

vCash: 883
Quote:
And goodbye, the dignity of Like Wall!

You're the one who's miserable, my friend.

Ar Jumjiem nokārusies verga dvēsele. Kur ir tava pašapziņa? Būtu labāk kaunējies un nerakstījis te savas gaudu dziesmas.

Old
05-11-2012, 11:05 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namejs View Post
And goodbye, the dignity of Like Wall!

You're the one who's miserable, my friend.

Ar Jumjiem nokārusies verga dvēsele. Kur ir tava pašapziņa? Būtu labāk kaunējies un nerakstījis te savas gaudu dziesmas.
And this guys posts are all the same- we suck,we have no chance against norway and denmark etc,etc.It`s getting really annoying to be honest.

Old
05-11-2012, 11:14 AM
Like Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namejs View Post
You should read, what Americans wrote, when score against Kazakhstan was 2:2. There were talks of relegation.

If our players cannot take it, when it's almost written "come and take", then we have a problem. Nothing to do with my self esteem. They had this opportunity and they blew it. Who knows, when we'll have another chance to defeat Czech republic.

The problem is that they lack intelligence and belief in their own abilities. This has been a problem for a long time now. That's the reason why Russian broke our spine. You don't show more respect to the opponent than necessary.

Old
05-11-2012, 11:18 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
You should read, what Americans wrote, when score against Kazakhstan was 2:2. There were talks of relegation.

If our players cannot take it, when it's almost written "come and take", then we have a problem. Nothing to do with my self esteem. They had this opportunity and they blew it. Who knows, when we'll have another chance to defeat Czech republic.

The problem is that they lack intelligence and belief in their own abilities. This has been a problem for a long time know. That's the reason why Russian broke our spine. You don't show more respect to the opponent than necessary.
didn`t it accur to you that even with the kind of play czechs showed they are still head and shoulders above us in skill? they won just barely,few lucky bounces and we would have won. Stop acting like a little whining girl,it`s pathetic.

Old
05-11-2012, 11:20 AM
Like Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
didn`t it accur to you that even with kind of play czechs are still head and shoulders above us in skill? they won just barely,few lucky bounces and we would have won. Stop acting like a little whining girl,it`s pathetic.
You only repeated my comment. That was my whole point, the team is not ready to win. What's the point to be here with that attitude?

Old
05-11-2012, 11:21 AM
ozo

Quote:

The problem is that they lack intelligence and belief in their own abilities. This has been a problem for a long time now. That's the reason why Russian broke our spine. You don't show more respect to the opponent than necessary.
Our next chance to beat Czechs will be when we will face them next time.
Simple as that. And our spines in Russia game was broken by penalties and not some lack of intelligence ffs. We haven't shown respect to anyone, fighting the Czechs yesterday was a nice example of that.

Anyway, I think that Nolan is starting to overplay the fourth line. They are not that effective in large doses.

Old
05-11-2012, 11:24 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
You only repeated my comment. That was my whole point, the team is not ready to win. What's the point to be here with that attitude?
Omg you are stupid, Its not about attitude,it`s about skill,when we will have players like Nedved and michalek then the wins will come,understand?

Old
05-11-2012, 11:25 AM
ozo

Quote:
Just because Jass wishes to play like Michalek won't make him do it. It has nothing to do psychology at all.

Old
05-11-2012, 11:26 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
Just because Jass wishes to play like Michalek won't make him do it. It has nothing to do psychology at all.
Exactly,thats what i`m trying to tell!

Old
05-11-2012, 11:26 AM
Like Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Omg you are stupid, Its not about attitude,it`s about skill,when we will have players like Nedved and michalek then the wins will come,understand?
When you lack personal skills you compensate by playing as a team, right? Right! Now I didn't see a team in 3rd period.

P.S. No insults, OK?

Old
05-11-2012, 11:28 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
When you lack personal skills you compensate by playing as a team, right? Right! Now I didn't see a team in 3rd period.
Often it`s not enough the gap of skill was just too big no matter how good you play they still have more skilled players.

Old
05-11-2012, 11:29 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:

P.S. No insults, OK?
I`m sorry.

Old
05-11-2012, 11:54 AM
ozo

Skoda says "don't mess with our players"

Old
05-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Latgale_fan

Quote:
If our players cannot take it, when it's almost written "come and take", then we have a problem.
Yeah, sure... after a loss to Sweden and moreover after losing a point to Norway the Czechs hanged the sign ''come and take'' and decided that they're too bad for team Latvia...

In reality this was probably as important a game for them as it was vs Sweden before, and maybe even more important as the team had played more games together already and had an ''unplanned'' loss of a point vs Norway... and they knew Latvia was playing good in this tournament.

So yeah, it was ''come and take''... Czechs didn't bother to show up and they had no motivation to fight vs us... It's more likely that Norway got some ''come and take'' and took a point, and the Czechs didn't want to make the same mistake again...

Old
05-11-2012, 05:33 PM
Latgale_fan

Quote:
You shouldn't forget that even when don't lack personal skills, you still can play as a team. Maybe you didn't see a team in the 3rd period because there was another team playing called CZECH REPUBLIC....

You can compensate only that much... probably we could compensate vs Germans or maybe vs Switzerland. We could ''compensate'' also maybe if Russia or Czech Republic wasn't concentrated or didn't really need points in games vs us... or underrated us (1/8 final vs Czechs in Vancouver)... but this was obviously not the case as before the game Czechs were under us in the table... Had they lost the game, the prospects were even possible not going to 1/4 finals........ Now try and compensate when there's Michalek on the other team and another Nolan saying to players that ''this is an important game and we have to give all our best to win''... Try and compensate that...

If this ''compensating'' worked Norway, Swiss, Germany etc. at some point would already be champions or in semi-final at least (and not by means of Germans beating Swiss in 1/4 final in 2010)....

Sure you can compensate. You can compensate to win Danes with 4 NHL players on the roster or Germans, as we did, or maybe we'll need that vs Norway... But further up you also will need luck and opponent not playing 100% which obviously could not be the case with Thursday's Czech Republic...

Old
05-12-2012, 12:38 AM
adolfz

Quote:
The worst thing with idiots like this guy is that they have so much to say and they keep posting and posting and posting. It doesn't matter for him that Czechs are 2010 World Champions, we are miserable because we lost a hard fought and close game. What a punk, unbelievable

Closed Thread