HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

General Talk '12 — Latvia

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2012, 02:50 AM
BalticWarrior

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latgale_fan View Post
You shouldn't forget that even when don't lack personal skills, you still can play as a team. Maybe you didn't see a team in the 3rd period because there was another team playing called CZECH REPUBLIC....

You can compensate only that much... probably we could compensate vs Germans or maybe vs Switzerland. We could ''compensate'' also maybe if Russia or Czech Republic wasn't concentrated or didn't really need points in games vs us... or underrated us (1/8 final vs Czechs in Vancouver)... but this was obviously not the case as before the game Czechs were under us in the table... Had they lost the game, the prospects were even possible not going to 1/4 finals........ Now try and compensate when there's Michalek on the other team and another Nolan saying to players that ''this is an important game and we have to give all our best to win''... Try and compensate that...

If this ''compensating'' worked Norway, Swiss, Germany etc. at some point would already be champions or in semi-final at least (and not by means of Germans beating Swiss in 1/4 final in 2010)....

Sure you can compensate. You can compensate to win Danes with 4 NHL players on the roster or Germans, as we did, or maybe we'll need that vs Norway... But further up you also will need luck and opponent not playing 100% which obviously could not be the case with Thursday's Czech Republic...
Exactly,nothing to add,nothing to take away from this post.

Old
05-12-2012, 11:50 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Didn't see the game, but from the reports I heard/read I start to wonder whether we were punching well above our weight in previous games...

Old
05-13-2012, 04:27 AM
DrStrangelife

Incident under review, we might lose Kaspars...

http://www.iihf.com/competition/272/...ash=c370e5dc91

Quote:
Spearing incidents, one involving Latvian forward Kaspars Daugavins in the Latvia-Norway match

Old
05-13-2012, 04:39 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrStrangelife View Post

Great we`re not welcome guest at qf i see.

Old
05-13-2012, 05:37 AM
Like Wall

Quote:

I saw the incident. It was a diving incident, nothing more. But Daugaviņ should think more about his individual skills.

Old
05-13-2012, 05:42 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Like Wall View Post
I saw the incident. It was a diving incident, nothing more. But Daugaviņ should think more about his individual skills.
what do you mean by that?

Old
05-13-2012, 10:18 AM
Justinov

Hi Latvians.

Since after seeing Latvia's games I don't think the problem is about attitude at all.
The first matches Latvia played really well (I was impressed!):
Lost 2-5 To Russia but held them even a long time.
Was very impressed with Redlihs, Sprukts and Indrasis that played with great speed and intensity. You lost to a better opponent, but great team performance overall.

Won 3-2 over Germany.
Again very good play by the first line and good team performance. With this win you started dreaming about QF with good reason!

Won 5-0 over Italy (remember one better than Sweden)
Less good team play and some slacking (but maybe it's the result as being superior, win was never in any danger).

Lost 1-3 to Czech.
Like the Danes you burned TONS OF ENERGY to get points out of this match. Again team performance started to slack abit. But my point is the following: It's not about attitude, but about being TIRED. Tired people makes more mistakes than fresh. That's where experience and years of professionalism pays off - how many times you how done this before. Since the roster lacks depth (like also Germany, Denmark, Norway) it's only natural.

Collaps -> loss 3-0 to Norway.
All was settled with getting 1-0 behind instead of having a 1-0 lead with some little more luck. The players were dead tired now (all the lesser teams are......Denmark, Germany, Latvia, Norway & Italy - DID YOU SEE FRANS NIELSEN AGAINST GERMANY....HE COULD BARELY STAND AT THE INTERVIEW BETWEEN PERIODS). Why....because to be competative the first lines especially had to play alot and with great intensity. It seems to me that everything forwardwise hangs on Mikelis Redlihs: He plays well, the rest follows. A game where he is to tired to really speed things off, nobody has the SKILL to make amends! The whole team collapsed, but I'm pretty sure had Latvia scored instead of hitting the post, and not made an own goal, it could have happened to Norway. Since they only have 2 d-pairs with anything nearing skill Tollefsen & Hols plays like 30 min every match! Anyway making an own goal like Latvia that can be really devestating mentally for a team.

If Norway loose, you can still make come back with win over Denmark......two totally tired teams where luck & leads can make and break them.
If Nolan made a mistake it was fighting hard against the czech.....they are really tricky that way....its so OLD-SCHOOL czech counter-attack hockey.

Old
05-13-2012, 10:24 AM
BalticWarrior

Daugavins will play,got trough with only a warning from iihf comitee

Old
05-13-2012, 10:26 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
Hi Latvians.

Since after seeing Latvia's games I don't think the problem is about attitude at all.
The first matches Latvia played really well (I was impressed!):
Lost 2-5 To Russia but held them even a long time.
Was very impressed with Redlihs, Sprukts and Indrasis that played with great speed and intensity. You lost to a better opponent, but great team performance overall.

Won 3-2 over Germany.
Again very good play by the first line and good team performance. With this win you started dreaming about QF with good reason!

Won 5-0 over Italy (remember one better than Sweden)
Less good team play and some slacking (but maybe it's the result as being superior, win was never in any danger).

Lost 1-3 to Czech.
Like the Danes you burned TONS OF ENERGY to get points out of this match. Again team performance started to slack abit. But my point is the following: It's not about attitude, but about being TIRED. Tired people makes more mistakes than fresh. That's where experience and years of professionalism pays off - how many times you how done this before. Since the roster lacks depth (like also Germany, Denmark, Norway) it's only natural.

Collaps -> loss 3-0 to Norway.
All was settled with getting 1-0 behind instead of having a 1-0 lead with some little more luck. The players were dead tired now (all the lesser teams are......Denmark, Germany, Latvia, Norway & Italy - DID YOU SEE FRANS NIELSEN AGAINST GERMANY....HE COULD BARELY STAND AT THE INTERVIEW BETWEEN PERIODS). Why....because to be competative the first lines especially had to play alot and with great intensity. It seems to me that everything forwardwise hangs on Mikelis Redlihs: He plays well, the rest follows. A game where he is to tired to really speed things off, nobody has the SKILL to make amends! The whole team collapsed, but I'm pretty sure had Latvia scored instead of hitting the post, and not made an own goal, it could have happened to Norway. Since they only have 2 d-pairs with anything nearing skill Tollefsen & Hols plays like 30 min every match! Anyway making an own goal like Latvia that can be really devestating mentally for a team.

If Norway loose, you can still make come back with win over Denmark......two totally tired teams where luck & leads can make and break them.
If Nolan made a mistake it was fighting hard against the czech.....they are really tricky that way....its so OLD-SCHOOL czech counter-attack hockey.
This knowledge can only come with time,Nolan is not yet experienced with our team enough,i think we should definiteley keep him,hes a good coach.

Old
05-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
This knowledge can only come with time,Nolan is not yet experienced with our team enough,i think we should definiteley keep him,hes a good coach.
Yeah the czech almost invite you to take them on with their defensive sleep walking play...then suddenly they counterattack scores and go back to sleep walking.
I don't know how much experience Nolan has with this kind of hockey coming from the NHL, but it something as you say he has to learn from experience.
Hell, we danes fell for it as well. The game against the Czech is maybe one of the best a danish team has ever played. Winning shots 26-24 - but off course as symptomatic this WC they can't score, even on huge chances. Then we thought we were damned good and just unlucky, and then TOTALLY underestimated Italy (not being mentally ready for the important match, but very geared-up for the unimportant) -> that is a coaching mistake!

Old
05-13-2012, 10:36 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Yeah the czech almost invite you to take them on with their defensive sleep walking play...then suddenly they counterattack scores and go back to sleep walking.
I don't know how much experience Nolan has with this kind of hockey coming from the NHL, but it something as you say he has to learn from experience.
Hell, we danes fell for it as well. The game against the Czech is maybe one of the best a danish team has ever played. Winning shots 26-24 - but off course as symptomatic this WC they can't score, even on huge chances. Then we thought we were damned good and just unlucky, and then TOTALLY underestimated Italy (not being mentally ready for the important match, but very geared-up for the unimportant) -> that is a coaching mistake!
Totally the same thing Nolan said after the game against land of beer&skoda that this was the best game so far.

Old
05-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Totally the same thing Nolan said after the game against land of beer&skoda that this was the best game so far.
You see....Nolan (perhaps) couldn't have known....but Bckman should have known better. In former times Denmark lost hugely to the big nations, because everything depended on 1 match to avoid relegation. That we did since 2003....clawing to stay up with fighting spirit.
Then suddenly we come as QF favourites and try to play against everyone. We burned tons of energy as well in 2 damn good 3'rd periods against Russia and Sweden......but was that really clever???
I think this new format took to coaches a bit by surprise......our teams dont have the depth to play 7 matches on full power with primarily 2-3 lines F-and D's. In many matches i don't even think our 4'th line played more than a few shifts.

Old
05-13-2012, 10:45 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
You see....Nolan (perhaps) couldn't have known....but Bckman should have known better. In former times Denmark lost hugely to the big nations, because everything depended on 1 match to avoid relegation. That we did since 2003....clawing to stay up with fighting spirit.
Then suddenly we come as QF favourites and try to play against everyone. We burned tons of energy as well in 2 damn good 3'rd periods against Russia and Sweden......but was that really clever???
I think this new format took to coaches a bit by surprise......our teams dont have the depth to play 7 matches on full power with primarily 2-3 lines F-and D's. In many matches i don't even think our 4'th line played more than a few shifts.
The depth will come eventually for teams like Latvia,Demark and germany,hockey is really developing hell a fast.

Old
05-13-2012, 10:51 AM
Justinov

Quote:
The depth will come eventually for teams like Latvia,Demark and germany,hockey is really developing hell a fast.
Maybe for Germany..huge population. I think Denmark and Latvia always will have uneven roster and maybe Norway as well.

Old
05-14-2012, 04:50 AM
andersej

Why isn't Karsums on the team?

Old
05-14-2012, 08:39 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersej View Post
Why isn't Karsums on the team?
Injury

Old
05-14-2012, 11:37 AM
Like Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpoing View Post
On a different note, I'm a bit afraid of Norway. Sure, we're capable of losing points to Italy and taking some from Sweden/Czech, but a defeat vs Norway scares me so much more.
Deep inside you knew...

Quote:
Game against Czechs shows where our place is. And it is not in QF. Everyone can win Italy. Those slavs just know how to break us. It's the same old story over and over again. We are miserable, and victory over Germany was a coincidence. we will lose against Norway and barely win Denmark, but since for Denmark it's a game for survival, they will probably beat the hell out of us. Czechs played terrible hockey, but they won. We've never defeated them, and probably never will. Goodbye, QF! Goodbye, Nolan!
Do the words "I told you" ring anything?

It all started vs Italy, and finally showed up in the 3rd period of the game against Czech republic.

Old
05-14-2012, 01:29 PM
Like Wall

Anyone suspect there might be an inner conflict in the team (again)? How come team opened up after Masaļskis left the ice? Is Nolan the right coach for the team? Is it language barrier, lack of intellect for our guys or any other obstacle that prevents them from playing like they did in the exhibition games? Anyone suspect, what the hell is going on?

Kas, ellē, notiek?

Old
05-14-2012, 01:34 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Anyone suspect there might be an inner conflict in the team (again)? How come team opened up after Masaļskis left the ice? Is Nolan the right coach for the team? Is it language barrier, lack of intellect for our guys or any other obstacle that prevents them from playing like they did in the exhibition games? Anyone suspect, what the hell is going on?

Kas, ellē, notiek?
I personally haven`t noticed any conflict,could you elaborate please? I think its always like that when there is a goalie change that team opens up.

Old
05-14-2012, 02:09 PM
Like Wall

Quote:
I personally haven`t noticed any conflict,could you elaborate please? I think its always like that when there is a goalie change that team opens up.
I was just speculating, not stating a fact. Is our defense weak? Should Laviņ, Cibuļskis, Sotnieks be there at all? I remember Cipulis in previous championships was quite effective against 2nd tier teams (our level teams). Overall it looks like the team lacks leaders and "maturity".

Old
05-14-2012, 02:12 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
I was just speculating, not stating a fact. Is our defense weak? Should Laviņš, Cibuļskis, Sotnieks be there at all? I remember Cipulis in previous championships was quite effective against 2nd tier teams (our level teams). Overall it looks like the team lacks leaders and "maturity".
Our defence is definitley key factor ,it is weak,well atleast the trio-Cibulskis,lavins,sotnieks. About cipulis-i dont even know what has happend to him,its a mystery.
And yes i agree we lack maturity,our team is quite young it really needs some leaders that can step up in needed situations.

Old
05-14-2012, 02:20 PM
BalticWarrior

Nolan flat-out says in a interview that some of our players our not taking seriously the representing of their country and are more interested in clubs and partying than playing hockey for Latvia... i feel so ashamed

Old
05-14-2012, 04:57 PM
DrStrangelife

Quote:
Is Nolan the right coach for the team?
Nolan could be the best coach we ever had, but in order for the team and the coach to collaborate together we need time and also we need, not only willingness from the coach to teach our players, but we also need the same willingness from our players to work and learn from Nolan. We couldn't have expected such harmonic collaboration so soon. Znaroks and Nolan are two completely different coaches with different views on life and hockey. And it will take some time before our players understand what Nolan wants from them.
Also it would be unfair to judge Nolan from this year, because if we don't have enough good players, even worlds best coaches couldn't save us from losing. If next year we'll get Dārziņ, Karsums, Kulda and maybe Girgensons and Pels too, only then we will see what Nolan can do with all these pieces and if he can bring the team to the QF and hence stay our NT coach for a longer time. Right now there simply isn't enough evidence to support either: if he's the right or wrong coach for us. What I feel safe to say is that Nolan no doubt is a improvement over Znaroks!

Quote:
Nolan flat-out says in a interview that some of our players our not taking seriously the representing of their country and are more interested in clubs and partying than playing hockey for Latvia... i feel so ashamed
Can I get a link to this interview?

Old
05-14-2012, 11:03 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Nolan could be the best coach we ever had, but in order for the team and the coach to collaborate together we need time and also we need, not only willingness from the coach to teach our players, but we also need the same willingness from our players to work and learn from Nolan. We couldn't have expected such harmonic collaboration so soon. Znaroks and Nolan are two completely different coaches with different views on life and hockey. And it will take some time before our players understand what Nolan wants from them.
Also it would be unfair to judge Nolan from this year, because if we don't have enough good players, even worlds best coaches couldn't save us from losing. If next year we'll get Dārziņš, Karsums, Kulda and maybe Girgensons and Pelšs too, only then we will see what Nolan can do with all these pieces and if he can bring the team to the QF and hence stay our NT coach for a longer time. Right now there simply isn't enough evidence to support either: if he's the right or wrong coach for us. What I feel safe to say is that Nolan no doubt is a improvement over Znaroks!

Can I get a link to this interview?
http://www.apollo.lv/portal/sports/h...rticles/274465

Last edited by BalticWarrior: 05-14-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old
05-14-2012, 11:18 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Also it would be unfair to judge Nolan from this year, because if we don't have enough good players, even worlds best coaches couldn't save us from losing. If next year we'll get Dārziņš, Karsums, Kulda and maybe Girgensons and Pelšs too, only then we will see what Nolan can do with all these pieces and if he can bring the team to the QF and hence stay our NT coach for a longer time. Right now there simply isn't enough evidence to support either: if he's the right or wrong coach for us. What I feel safe to say is that Nolan no doubt is a improvement over Znaroks!

Yep i agree nolan is a great coach we just need all our best players to do the real evaluation no matter how good you are you just cant make players like meija,dzerins,stals,cibulskis,lavins,sotnieks play like our top 6- Mikelis,daugavins,bartulis,galvins,krisjanis redlihs,sprukts. We just need to give him time thats all,as the old saying goes- Rome wasn`t built in one day.

Closed Thread