HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playoff Opponents

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-11-2012, 07:05 PM
  #1
BTCG
Registered User
 
BTCG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
Playoff Opponents

As I mentioned on the other thread: the Caps are like your buddy's little brother who you're forced to let play in your whiffle ball league. And of course, after you let the little guy play, your buddy lets you in on their Mother's other demand: you've gotta let the little fellow win, or at least be competitive in the games.

So, in this spirit, the Caps are the little brother, and the SouthEast is poised to let the little brother into 8th spot.

So, I'm thinking the Caps WILL make the playoffs, and will most likely finish in that 8th spot.

Best case scenario? We finish 3rd.

Here's how it would shake out today, in either scenario:



If we finish 1st in the SE (which is 3rd in the East); We'll likely play New Jersey

If we finish 8th: we'll likely draw the NY Rangers


So, the question becomes: who do we have the best chance against... the Rangers, or the Debbies?

My take? I' thinkin we stand our best chance against the Rangers.

I can see us beating the Rangers. The Debbies and that darn defenceive style of theirs: nothin but trouble.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 07:15 PM
  #2
BTCG
Registered User
 
BTCG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
real quick-like:

My apologies to Bob R... but I'm starting to drink the Kool-aid. If we can get by the 1st round, with a key injury or 2, and better play AO (and maybe, a return by Backstrom).... who knows?

One thing: say what you will about the strength of the West, the fact remains, you need only beat 1 western team.

That's encouraging.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 07:23 PM
  #3
Carlzner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,650
vCash: 500
But what If Backstrom doesn't return.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 07:27 PM
  #4
CapsCast
Registered User
 
CapsCast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 908
vCash: 500
Sadly, the Caps are probably a 1st round speedbump to the Devils or the Rangers.

CapsCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 07:29 PM
  #5
caps4cup
Dynasty
 
caps4cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 4,834
vCash: 500
The Devils are an average team that lives off of extra time. They've won something crazy like 10 Shootout games...

caps4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 07:30 PM
  #6
Carlzner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishMeatballs1990 View Post
The Devils are an average team that lives off of extra time. They've won something crazy like 10 Shootout games...
What was the score the last time we played the Devils?

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 07:36 PM
  #7
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,760
vCash: 500
Stupid thread is stupid. Look ahead when we clinch.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 07:37 PM
  #8
G3 LesPaul
Registered User
 
G3 LesPaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Stupid thread is stupid. Look ahead when we clinch.

G3 LesPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 07:38 PM
  #9
Mystlyfe
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 13,037
vCash: 500
A lot can happen in the standings between now and then. It's looking like good odds we face an Atlantic division team, but shuffling could occur in any fashion among the four Atlantic playoff teams. Pittsburgh could catch New York or Philly could go cold and have Jersey pass them (NJ up going into the 3rd against the Flyers tonight).

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 07:42 PM
  #10
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 08:38 PM
  #11
caps4cup
Dynasty
 
caps4cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 4,834
vCash: 500
Just a thought... Philly could easily finish 6th instead of NJ...

caps4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 09:08 PM
  #12
um
Registered User
 
um's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,300
vCash: 500
that 6th spot could easily be phillly, ottawa, boston, or new jersey and that 1st spot could be new york or pittsburgh. its a little early

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 09:25 PM
  #13
IafrateOvie34
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmt1355 View Post
Sadly, the Caps are probably a 1st round speedbump to the Devils or the Rangers.
Quite possibly, but I like the role of spoiler. The last 4 years, pressure has been on us and being a lower seed may help. I don't think either team wants the Caps in the first round. NJ scares me more than NYR because of the SC experience and the way they play.

IafrateOvie34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 09:26 PM
  #14
WetHog
Out to Lunch
 
WetHog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Poland
Posts: 8,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WetHog
How about making the playoffs first? Lets see where the Caps stand in the standings after this 5 game roadie.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 09:26 PM
  #15
IafrateOvie34
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
that 6th spot could easily be phillly, ottawa, boston, or new jersey and that 1st spot could be new york or pittsburgh. its a little early
I rather face Ottawa in the 1st round if we make it in.

IafrateOvie34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 09:55 PM
  #16
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry
 
stanleycaps98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chocolate City
Posts: 3,457
vCash: 500
Looking at the Caps, WPG and FLA schedules, factoring in back to backs, etc, I like the Caps chances. The only game that is a total throwaway is the Versus game at Detroit a week from tomorrow.

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 01:06 AM
  #17
mrwarden
Nothing Witty
 
mrwarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 8,983
vCash: 500
Realistically, being in the third seed should be a tremendous advantage with this team's road/home splits.

Likewise, there is an obvious advantage to the Rangers, having taken them out of the playoffs their last two appearances. And the Devils are shootout specialists who will have no shootouts.

But I honestly think this team is fated for something (no idea if its dismal failure or odd success) so you can throw everything out the damn window and we'll just have to watch.

__________________
mrwarden is in ur threads, deleting ur posts

Last edited by mrwarden: 03-12-2012 at 01:18 AM.
mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 02:44 AM
  #18
edamer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 319
vCash: 500
if we finish 8th, we could very well be meeting pittsburgh

edamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 07:47 AM
  #19
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
real quick-like:

My apologies to Bob R... but I'm starting to drink the Kool-aid. If we can get by the 1st round, with a key injury or 2, and better play AO (and maybe, a return by Backstrom).... who knows?

One thing: say what you will about the strength of the West, the fact remains, you need only beat 1 western team.

That's encouraging.
Drink up my friend! ha

I really don't think it matters one bit who we play in the 1st round IF we make the playoffs. IF we make it we will beat that opponent of this I am convinced.

The Caps are playing with more sandpaper than in years past and our D is deep to go along with more experienced goaltending.

The Devils are playing to their max potential now and their "structure" (won't use the T word since their fans are extremely sensitive to it) lulls people to sleep. But there won't be any of that in the playoffs.

The Rags just simply don't have the game breakers we have. This is another team that is playing at the height of their game. I believe the Caps top end game outclasses them. That and the psych edge we have over them.

I would prefer to see Pittsburgh tho as a 1st round series with them will be epic. I hope this is how it works out and that both Backstrom and Crosby are playing.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 07:52 AM
  #20
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry
 
stanleycaps98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chocolate City
Posts: 3,457
vCash: 500
Wow, the tenor of this thread is, just, so different.

I see wins over NYI and WPG and 1-2 points out of the other three games on this road trip. I think that is enough to keep them competitive for the #3 going into the final stretch. Of course, they could get zero, in which case, this forum will be back to doom a gloom. I don't think so though, it seems the team is coming together. It would be nice to get Backstrom back, but like others, I don't see it happening.

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:09 AM
  #21
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.
 
Vladiator16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Drink up my friend! ha

I really don't think it matters one bit who we play in the 1st round IF we make the playoffs. IF we make it we will beat that opponent of this I am convinced.

The Caps are playing with more sandpaper than in years past and our D is deep to go along with more experienced goaltending.

The Devils are playing to their max potential now and their "structure" (won't use the T word since their fans are extremely sensitive to it) lulls people to sleep. But there won't be any of that in the playoffs.

The Rags just simply don't have the game breakers we have. This is another team that is playing at the height of their game. I believe the Caps top end game outclasses them. That and the psych edge we have over them.

I would prefer to see Pittsburgh tho as a 1st round series with them will be epic. I hope this is how it works out and that both Backstrom and Crosby are playing.
Really? I wish i would have this much confidence in this team... If we are facing Pitsburgh with healthy Horse face and Ogre ripping it up the way he has, i dont see us winning with or without Backstrom... Unless of course OV has MVP-like post season, but even then... the ****ing Pens just ripped 9 in a row (and they are not done yet) without the little ***, with him in the lineup i don't even know who can really hang with them.

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:19 AM
  #22
Harvey Specter
Boooooone
 
Harvey Specter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Oxford-Malmö-Sydney
Country: Australia
Posts: 3,159
vCash: 50
on 1 hand i also like the underdog role, but on the other the caps are only in it because theyre not a very good team. we'll be relying on puckluck all the way unless MULTIPLE guys stop playing like **** and instead play like they can every game. even then, i could only fathom a 1st round upset in 6 or 7 against a team that isnt as good as its record like NYR or NJ. pittsburgh wipes the floor with this caps team, unfortunately. 8 seed is pretty doomy for a road team like the caps.

Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:13 AM
  #23
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
Really? I wish i would have this much confidence in this team... If we are facing Pitsburgh with healthy Horse face and Ogre ripping it up the way he has, i dont see us winning with or without Backstrom... Unless of course OV has MVP-like post season, but even then... the ****ing Pens just ripped 9 in a row (and they are not done yet) without the little ***, with him in the lineup i don't even know who can really hang with them.
We have played Pitt very tough over the past several seasons including this one.

A few months ago everyone was proclaiming the Bruins to be "invincible" too. Good for the Pens for going on a nice streak. That won't mean jack once the playoffs start.

Ovechkin ALWAYS comes to play vs the Pens. The guy kills that team. I think it would be a great series to watch so thats the matchup I'm rooting for.

Its time to kill all the demons of years past. What better way than to start off vs the Pens? It will be a glorious opportunity to get over the hump and something inside me tells me that the Caps will pull it off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg‎ (30.0 KB, 0 views)

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:22 AM
  #24
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry
 
stanleycaps98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chocolate City
Posts: 3,457
vCash: 500
Killing demons. I like it.

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 11:55 AM
  #25
Koized
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
As I mentioned on the other thread: the Caps are like your buddy's little brother who you're forced to let play in your whiffle ball league. And of course, after you let the little guy play, your buddy lets you in on their Mother's other demand: you've gotta let the little fellow win, or at least be competitive in the games.

So, in this spirit, the Caps are the little brother, and the SouthEast is poised to let the little brother into 8th spot.

So, I'm thinking the Caps WILL make the playoffs, and will most likely finish in that 8th spot.

Best case scenario? We finish 3rd.

Here's how it would shake out today, in either scenario:



If we finish 1st in the SE (which is 3rd in the East); We'll likely play New Jersey

If we finish 8th: we'll likely draw the NY Rangers


So, the question becomes: who do we have the best chance against... the Rangers, or the Debbies?

My take? I' thinkin we stand our best chance against the Rangers.

I can see us beating the Rangers. The Debbies and that darn defenceive style of theirs: nothin but trouble.
In regards to your opening, you're not funny and you should stop trying.

Koized is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.