HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Best Way to Hook Up 2 Monitors to One Laptop?

Old
03-12-2013, 06:55 PM
Satan
never meant

vCash: 69
Best Way to Hook Up 2 Monitors to One Laptop?

Hey guys,

I want to hook up 2 monitors to my laptop but it doesn't seem as simple as I had hoped.

My laptop (Dell XPS 15Z) has only 1 HDMI port. So I decided to get a HDMI splitter which I plugged into my laptop and then plugged 2 HDMI cables into the splitter, but apparently that attempts to display the screen on both monitors? Either way, this solution isn't working at all since nothing is even displaying.

What are my other options to get these two monitors working? I really need it for researching and other things for school to improve my efficiency, etc.

Satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:39 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Gary Oak View Post
Hey guys,

I want to hook up 2 monitors to my laptop but it doesn't seem as simple as I had hoped.

My laptop (Dell XPS 15Z) has only 1 HDMI port. So I decided to get a HDMI splitter which I plugged into my laptop and then plugged 2 HDMI cables into the splitter, but apparently that attempts to display the screen on both monitors? Either way, this solution isn't working at all since nothing is even displaying.

What are my other options to get these two monitors working? I really need it for researching and other things for school to improve my efficiency, etc.
Why not combine the HDMI monitor with your Laptops built in monitor?

Or are you trying for 3 monitors?

Either way, the way to get more monitor ports is either a docking station, or a USB external card.

This one is DVI. I don't know if anyone makes an HDMI one. A DVI to HDMI adapter should work though since it's the same signal type.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815153012

I don't think they make a dock for the XPS laptops.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 05:20 AM
Everlasting

Have you tried "WINDOWS + P" and changed options there? I had to do that when i had problem with my dual monitors, but i had more than one hdmi port..

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 06:11 AM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
Right click desktop

Display properties or Screen Resolution based on your OS

Multiple Displays option

Extend these displays rather than duplicate.

If you don't see extend then you need to do what Sniper said.

Or you can use the HDMI out for one monitor and the DVI out for the 2nd monitor.

Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 10:33 AM
Clock

vCash: 50
A splitter will only send one signal to two different places - that won't work for you.

Another potential option, if you have an iPad: Air Display. It lets you use your iPad as an extra monitor, using Wifi to do it. It isn't fast enough to game on or anything moving fast (including, to an extent, browsers given the typical amount of scrolling), but would be great for word processors, email, etc.

Yet another option is to buy a monitor that uses USB to drive it. They're out there and run for about 200 bucks.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote