HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Would you re-sign Benoit Pouliot?

View Poll Results: Should the team tender Pouliot a contract for next year and beyond?
Yes. Pouliot probably deserves a spot somewhere on the roster 192 70.59%
No. He's too replaceable. The team should move on. 80 29.41%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-25-2012, 01:25 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

vCash: 500
Would you re-sign Benoit Pouliot?

Just asking. He's been very inconsistent, but he's shown flashes of talent, and he's hustled even when he wasn't playing well, used his size, etc.

I wouldn't say he's a great player, but I'd say he's a useful player. Depending on the playoffs, I could see a reasonable contract that targeted Pouliot for the third or fourth line. On the other hand, he's not exactly a difficult skillset to replace either, if he demands too much.

Curious where the board stood on him as we run up to the playoffs..

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 01:32 PM
UConn126
Bass Player.

Assuming we resign Kelly, I say no and I roll with Caron-Kelly-Peverley as my third line, with MacDermid as the 13th (assuming Paille's back as well). If we can't keep Kelly, then I would consider bringing back Benoit and the third line could be Pouliot-Peverley-Caron.

UConn126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 01:35 PM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Yes, which is why I am not an NHL GM

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 01:37 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
This is like asking....... ' do you like hamburger ?'.

Well , as opposed to what ?

If he would sign for minimum bucks, sure. If there is a better more consistent ham and egger, no way.

If what he asks is that sliver more Han what you need budget wise to bring in a top forward or d man ......see ya.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 01:44 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Yeah I would....Id only give him 1 year at his qualifying number though...keep a spot warm for Knight or Spooner. He'd be a great 13th forward at a decent number, or not bad getting his 15 min or whatever.

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 01:49 PM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
As a third line winger I believe he is replaceable. I don't think he's very effective any higher as I don't think he's top-6 material. I don't know whether I'd resign him or not. Depends on who's available and what their availability is by the time I need to resign him.

ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 01:51 PM
GoBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
Yes, which is why I am not an NHL GM
I don't see what the downside of resigning Pouliot would be if he's not asking for more than a couple million, he still young, and has some pretty good chemistry with Kelly and Peverly.

GoBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 01:53 PM
unifiedtheory

I doubt we do unless he is cheap. Caron has proven he needs minutes with the big club to progress and I think he is locked into a top 9 role next year.

It also depends on who we sign of course. Kelly, Soup and Paille are all UFA. Pouliot does not really fit into any of their roles. That said, if Kelly walks Pevvy is the 3rd line center and I think Pooh gets brought back.

In all honesty I hope Knight plays himself onto the 3rd line with Pevvy and Caron. In that instance Pooh is redundant because he is not a 4th line player on this club. Our issue with all that is if Kelly and Paille both walk we are losing a lot of foot speed.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 01:56 PM
Trap Jesus

Depends where the kids are at. Honestly though, he's been a great bottom six winger for us. He is replaceable, but I wouldn't hesitate to resign him at the right price.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 01:57 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

ah, i missed these

yes, but not for the reason you stated in your poll options

i believe he has done enough to earn a spot in camp, but i dont think he should be immediately penciled into the roster. He's a good 13th forward and should be here to increase competition, nothing more or less

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 01:58 PM
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...uliot+contract

Interesting to compare the poll results in these 2 polls, and who voted where. Some have already changed their position from last month at this time.

I can't make a definitive "yes" or "no" answer yet on re-signing Pouliot. It's all about the playoffs, and whether or not the Poo shows up and contributes...

MillerTime 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 02:01 PM
Taz#24

Send a message via MSN to Taz#24
Good question

At about 1.0 on a short term deal I would, anything more then 1.5 on anything more then two years I tell him thanks for coming out and good luck with that. He hasn't progressed as anticipated when he was drafted and he still hasn't shown signs he will begin to blossom. As I said in other posts, million dollar individual skill set but he hasn't displayed high hockey IQ. I also agree with the poster who related it depends on what happens with Chris KELLY and to some extent Dan PAILLE. If both are retained, I let POULIOT walk and go with CARON who has already shown signs he's a better overall player. Not sure what PC will have to spend if he is able to lock up CAMPBELL, KELLY and PAILLE, compounded with making RASK happy with a new deal but I would do back flips if was able to do all of that and still sign Zach PARISE. I am guessing PARISE would would be possible only if PC doesn't make an offer to KELLY. Can you imagine...

2012-2013 Bruins...
LUCIC-KRECJI-HORTON (fingers crossed)
PARISE-BERGERON-SEGUIN
MARCHAND-PEVERLEY-CARON
MACDERMID/PAILLE-CAMPBELL-THORNTON

CHARA-BOYCHUK
SEIDENBERG-HAMILTON
FERENCE-MCQUAID
ZANON (1.5 X2)

THOMAS
RASK

Taz#24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 02:10 PM
the overrated
wicked overrated

I'm glad you bumped that thread, TS, because I was going to have to search it out if you had not ... my thoughts at that time are the same as they are now:

It's impossible to vote now without knowing a ton of other factors first: how does Pouliot do in the post-season? How much money is he looking for? How much money are other, comparable FAs looking for? Did the B's re-sign any/all of their to-be FAs?

I don't understand how anyone could comfortably say what they'd do without knowing a lot of other relevant information first. I feel as though I have to make a few major presumptions (at least two of Campbell, Paille & Kelly sign elsewhere; Pouliot plays like at least a top-nine forward in the playoffs; Pouliot is willing to sign for comparable money as this year and on a 1 year+club option deal; etc.) before making up my mind one way or the other. A lot of other shoes have to drop before a decision needs to be made on Pouliot.

I will say, though, that he hasn't done so poorly that I'm already saying "no way would I want him brought back" nor has he played so well that bringing him back is a no-brainer. And that I wouldn't want the team to let him walk just to sign an exact replica player for a similar deal as what Pouliot had this year; I wouldn't change from him just for change's sake.

the overrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 02:14 PM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Yeah I would. Pouliot's brought hustle and effort every night, he's big, fast and physical, the guys seem to like him, and he's a legit NHL'er who can fill a spot for short money.

I know we have a few exciting prospects but I'd rather put them in a situation where they have to take a job from someone like Pouliot, than just leave a spot open.

03-25-2012, 02:22 PM
TCL40

My answer isn't there.

I would wait and see what happens with the various UFAs-especially Paille. I could see Pouliot slotting in on the 4th line left wing, if Paille moves on-he isnt' as speedy but he will hit and I think could be a decent energy guy. And he knows the system and has NHL experience.

Also, for the cap hit he still comes pretty cheap. So right now I am still in the "wait and see" camp. I think he could be useful if we lose Paille, Campbell and/or Kelly-but I also don't think he can't be replaced.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 02:25 PM
Boston Bruno

Assuming that Paille Campbell and or KElly are gone, yeah, I would resign Pou..

http://youtu.be/jckk8I8GKs4

Boston Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 02:30 PM
mark3361

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConn126 View Post
Assuming we resign Kelly, I say no and I roll with Caron-Kelly-Peverley as my third line, with MacDermid as the 13th (assuming Paille's back as well). If we can't keep Kelly, then I would consider bringing back Benoit and the third line could be Pouliot-Peverley-Caron.
I thought there were rumblings that Kelly coming back would be a long shot. He picked a great time to have a great season. I might be imagining things, but I thought I read/heard that he wants to go back to Ottawa.

mark3361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 02:31 PM
WestCoastBruinsFan

I like his hustle and attitude. If one or more of the young guys prove they belong then we can trade him for futures if he is replaced.

WestCoastBruinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 02:32 PM
Salem13

He's not the exact size peg for the hole we have but is a strong working peg none the less.

Salem13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
I know we have a few exciting prospects but I'd rather put them in a situation where they have to take a job from someone like Pouliot, than just leave a spot open.
I can sympathize. It's a good conservative path to take. And if the kid does make it, Pouliot could potentially stick around as useful depth.

My answer is -- I absolutely would, at least pending any confirmation that Horton will ever lace it up again. Pouliot is not a replacement for Horton (duh) but if Horton is sidelined going into next year -- which is possible -- we can't spare his depth even if Caron and a rookie do make good.

Old
03-25-2012, 02:34 PM
Bizarro Bandwagoner

Let me see how he performs in the playoffs first.

Bizarro Bandwagoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarro Bandwagoner View Post
Let me see how he performs in the playoffs first.
I honestly don't expect anything from Pouliot in the playoffs other than hustle and hard work. If he doesn't do at least that much I probably change my vote, but my expectations for the playoffs are very low.

Old
03-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Sam the Lion
**** the Habs

Yep. I love watching the guy fly around. He's tenacious as hell on the fore/back-check, rarely turns over the puck - and makes insane quick little passes, under heavy pressure, to spring his teammates into space. Also, considering his balls-out, nutzo style, he's keeping control of his stick, and cutting way back on the penalties. Right now, his hand skills are very clear, but he's thinking D-first, pass-first. He's constantly crashing the crease for loose rebounds. I think some scoring will eventually come as well.

I think he's just flat entertaining as hell.

Sam the Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 02:39 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
I would, but not as a 3rd line wing.

IMO, have him and MacDermid fight it out for the 4th line wing spot.

Fill the 3rd line with Peverley, Knight/Spooner and a UFA that brings a bit more offense.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 02:40 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
I would, but not as a 3rd line wing.

IMO, have him and MacDermid fight it out for the 4th line wing spot.

Fill the 3rd line with Peverley, Knight/Spooner and a UFA that brings a bit more offense.
Or, if they sign Parise.. Horton would be a pretty solid 3rd line wing.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote