Reilly Smith signed to ELC, assigned to Dallas

Old
03-26-2012, 04:30 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennrocks View Post
Did anyone listen to the audio of gully after practice or whatever today... it sounded like he was planning on playing reilly in the bottom 6
That's a situation where Joe needs to step in and tell him why he gave him the kid in the first place.

Is Gully really that stupid? I don't care if he's a rookie who's never played a pro game in his life, he's a better option than Burish.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Did anyone listen to the audio of gully after practice or whatever today... it sounded like he was planning on playing reilly in the bottom 6
Just listened to the video on the main site. Not sure if they cut any out of it, but where do you get the impression of that? Didn't hear that at all.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 04:34 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetimey View Post
Last question from me, the Stars website and Camp Roster .PDF list him at 157 pounds, HF at 161, and HockeyDB at 160. Pretty skinny, certainly needs to bulk up.

Anyone know the most reliable number?
The players' vitals on the official site get updated with each training camp. Since college draftees don't attend training camp, their numbers stay the same as of the last "known" figure, often almost a year before they were even drafted. It's not useful information at all.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Bennrocks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Just listened to the video on the main site. Not sure if they cut any out of it, but where do you get the impression of that? Didn't hear that at all.
this is what i was referring to
http://dallasstarspr.files.wordpress...-gulutzan9.m4a

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
The players' vitals on the official site get updated with each training camp. Since college draftees don't attend training camp, their numbers stay the same as of the last "known" figure, often almost a year before they were even drafted. It's not useful information at all.
he said today he is around 185 and miami has him listed at 183 so he is somewhere around there for sure

Bennrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Ah. Yea they cut out the first minute and last minute on the video.

Do agree with the ease him in motion, but within the same game. First two shifts on 4th and then move him up or something along those lines.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 04:44 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
No? Who says the Stars' internal cap will be synonymous with the actual cap? We can talk about Gaglardi having lots of money but the bottom line is we don't know how much he's willing to spend until he does it.

I'm not saying it "hurts the team", I'm saying it reduces flexibility. You're caught up in the minutiae. I'm concerned with the general principle.
My response to that is who says the Stars will have an internal cap? That's a much better question.

0:54 on in the video linked is what you're looking for. If you don't want to watch:

Quote:
“We’re here to win. This isn’t about anything other than becoming a great team and pursuing championships,” Gaglardi said. “If Joe and his staff think that is something we can do in terms of stepping up and doing more in that regard, then we’re going to do it.”
So when you talk about cap flexibility earlier, I thought it was silly to consider anything but the cap. I mean, unless I'm going to make an assumption the owner is and has been making deceiving comments from Day 1, why would I reasonably assume there would be an internal budget.

Regardless, let's get back on track. IMO, it's absurd to think this team will be at the cap in the next 3 summers (2 years and several months). I think we all agree on that. That was the point of looking at the monstrous money they'd have to throw around to get to that point.

Your only issue is a financial one, but you just keep throwing out cap flexibility instead of giving me an example of a legitimate problem. That's all I'm asking for, but if your only complaint now is this assumed internal cap then it's probably best to move on. I mean, there's just no evidence to support the idea that Gaglardi has any intentions of restricting Joe's spending.

Plus, it's pretty unreasonable to even believe he'll need to restrict GMJN. They have both been clear that building from within is the top priority. This team appears to be moving in the direction of steady growth to a cap team with no internal budget. That would further make the idea of a single year lost on an ELC rather insignificant.

Honestly ... how does $1 to $3 million have any impact on this team? I think we both agree the cap isn't going to be an issue, and like I said, there's just no reason to assume they're 1) dealing with an internal cap or 2) about to spend so much money, but just not quite to the cap, that they need an internal budget.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 04:55 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Do agree with the ease him in motion, but within the same game. First two shifts on 4th and then move him up or something along those lines.
Yeah, and that is what he said. So he might not start on Benn's line, but they'll shuffle him between a scoring line and lesser role throughout the game.

Too bad Heika didn't specifically talk about the PP. That's where I'm interested to see what they'll do. I think part of Morrow being OK with his ES minutes going down is that he still get's PP time.

Does that mean if Reilly Smith gets PP time, Ott's out?

Old
03-26-2012, 05:03 PM
BigG44

I thought this was an interesting quote from Heika:

Quote:
``I stay upbeat with everything that's going on with the Dallas Stars,'' he said. ``I definitely know them a lot more than they know me. But I'm just glad to be here and trying to eat everything up.''
Since most guys aren't at those prospect camps, he's not getting eased into meeting most of these guys at training camp. He's getting thrown into a very serious situation with playoffs on the line. That's got to be intense.

Old
03-26-2012, 05:06 PM
BigG44

I realized that might seem to indicate they're a tough group of guys which wasn't my point.

By most reports, they're an excellent group that seems to genuinely like one another. I'm sure they'll go out of their way to help him.

I'm just saying he's got to feel a ton of pressure to perform for them. Like he also said in a different quote, the whole practice he just didn't want to make a mistake. He seems to clearly understand the expectations that come with this type of move by the Stars.

Old
03-26-2012, 05:25 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

nvm...

Old
03-26-2012, 06:44 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
I agree that it could restrict financial flexibility in the future but the degree to which it could is rather insignificant in my eyes. We're likely talking about a figure in the 1.25-1.75 range. The thing is that it will only restrict anything for one year. One year.

I maintain that giving a player whom you project as a scorer only two years to accrue goals and assists before needing a new contract very well may be a good thing. So it could restrict financial flexibility for one year or it could actually improve financial flexibility for one or more years.

In any case I don't think the issue is that severe. It's one player, one time. Let's just enjoy the ride and hope he can help this team win some games.

Last edited by glovesave_35: 03-26-2012 at 06:51 PM.
glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 07:07 PM
BigG44

Glovesave ... your point brought up what might me my point of confusion with piqued.

Any contract restricts cap flexibility. Therefore, my natural assumption was piqued is referring to a significant burden on payroll or the cap.

So to say Reilly's cap hit will restrict flexibility is obviously correct. Just like re-signing Benn will reduce cap flexibility.

Calling it insignificant though ... compared to his ELC cap hit ... is the point I was trying to get across so I agree 100% with you.

In fact, let's make some small assumptions:
* $60 million cap next season
* The cap does not go up one penny in the 2 following seasons - a doubtful scenario
* It's difficult, impossible to predict Reilly Smith's next contract seeing how he hasn't played a single game. Let's just make the assumption he does extremely well and earns $2 to $4 million over his ELC on his next contract.

I think we can agree that is as close to a reasonable worst case scenario as we can predict (No cap increase - a James Neal bridge to Loui Eriksson 2nd type contract).

We're talking an extra 3.33% to 6.67% of cap space ... over a single season. It's insignificant ... like you said. That's the best way to describe this situation.

Old
03-26-2012, 07:15 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I maintain that giving a player whom you project as a scorer only two years to accrue goals and assists before needing a new contract very well may be a good thing. So it could restrict financial flexibility for one year or it could actually improve financial flexibility for one or more years.
I wanted to look at this point in a separate post.

James Neal's bridge plus recent extension is 8 years for $35,750,000.

Loui Eriksson's bridge plus extension is 8 years for $28,700,000.

I know there are some examples for the other side, but I can't think of any right now.

Stamkos clearly doesn't apply just because he scored 119 goals (96 the two previous seasons) mostly as a teenager after being the 1st overall pick. I'm a big Smith fan, but I don't this will serve as a comparable ...

Old
03-26-2012, 07:39 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Give him 7 million per.

Old
03-26-2012, 10:31 PM
MU Jacktets*

Hey guys- Miami student here and i've seen Smith play for the past 3 seasons and he has gotten exponentially better every year. This season I recall him single handedly killing a penalty in the other teams zone, and we he finally did get rewarded with the turnover he fired a wrist shot from the high slot and the goalie just stood there while it whistled past his ear. After that play I knew that there was no way I would see him in a Miami Jersey again.

MU Jacktets* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 10:48 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MU Jacktets View Post
Hey guys- Miami student here and i've seen Smith play for the past 3 seasons and he has gotten exponentially better every year. This season I recall him single handedly killing a penalty in the other teams zone, and we he finally did get rewarded with the turnover he fired a wrist shot from the high slot and the goalie just stood there while it whistled past his ear. After that play I knew that there was no way I would see him in a Miami Jersey again.
Wanna give us an update on McKenzie?

Old
03-27-2012, 12:10 AM
ScubaSteve*

Stars are winless since Smith joined the team. I think it's safe to declare this signing a bust.

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:11 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Trying too hard there, Scooby.

Frozen Failure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:14 AM
ScubaSteve*

Not trying to troll, just applying this board's thought process on prospect evaluation based on how you guys rate Jack Campbell.

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:37 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Not trying to troll, just applying this board's thought process on prospect evaluation based on how you guys rate Jack Campbell.
Your forté is short and snappy posts. Neither of these are your finest work.

Old
03-27-2012, 12:43 AM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Pretty sure that's the definition of trolling.

Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 07:30 AM
glovesave_35
Name

I've come to find him pretty amusing tbh.

Old
03-27-2012, 11:29 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 27750
I wonder if part of enticing R. Smith to leave school early was telling him they'd burn a year of his ELC.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:01 PM
English stars fan

Quote:
I wonder if part of enticing R. Smith to leave school early was telling him they'd burn a year of his ELC.
This makes a lot of sense

English stars fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 03:15 PM
BigG44

Jason Zucker (NCAA) is the 3rd drafted NCAA player to report directly to his NHL team following the completion of their NCAA season: Schwartz to St. Louis, Smith to Dallas, Zucker to Minnesota.