Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2012, 02:46 PM
TheFlyingV
Anatidaephobia

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
Are people really not going to go to games because it's not gooning it up every game? Come on now.

If this team is winning the fans will come. Not because some oompa loompa with a moustache is out there skating and being a general liability.
You know, I hear the "I hope there's a fight tonight, there was a fight the last game we went to" comment a lot.

Old
03-26-2012, 06:09 PM
kducks
Duck Off

vCash: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingV View Post
You know, I hear the "I hope there's a fight tonight, there was a fight the last game we went to" comment a lot.
Actually heard this from one of the Boston fans behind us last night

Old
03-26-2012, 07:57 PM
Sirquacksalot
Magic

Dey terk r goool!

Old
03-26-2012, 11:05 PM
Dirk316

Its interesting how the majority of the anti fighting fans do not even live in the area and have zero chance of even going to a game. Of course an increase in fighting will increase attendance, wether they are winning or not

Old
03-27-2012, 10:48 AM
gratefulyours
Great 8 = T. Selanne

vCash: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk316 View Post
Its interesting how the majority of the anti fighting fans do not even live in the area and have zero chance of even going to a game. Of course an increase in fighting will increase attendance, wether they are winning or not
living in the area and being able to attend games has nothing to do with fighting / hitting making the team better.

i am not anti fighting.

hockey is the only sport, besides those that are set up to be fights (like boxing or mma), that allows fighting during the game. if that is all people wanted to see, basketball, soccer, baseball, golf, tennis, volleyball, etc would have no attendance.

teams attendance, and popularity are linked to their success in winning games and having successful seasons. you have provided no facts to support that more "goon" style hockey is what is needed to win games.

Old
03-27-2012, 11:39 AM
TheFlyingV
Anatidaephobia

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulyours View Post
living in the area and being able to attend games has nothing to do with fighting / hitting making the team better.

i am not anti fighting.

hockey is the only sport, besides those that are set up to be fights (like boxing or mma), that allows fighting during the game. if that is all people wanted to see, basketball, soccer, baseball, golf, tennis, volleyball, etc would have no attendance.

teams attendance, and popularity are linked to their success in winning games and having successful seasons. you have provided no facts to support that more "goon" style hockey is what is needed to win games.
Well the Bruins seemed to have no problems beating us on the 2nd half of a back to back.

Old
03-27-2012, 11:44 AM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

I don't want a team full of fighters... I want a team than can compete and hold their own if another team takes a run at our star player or tries to run Hiller etc.

I don't necessarily need the staged fights or goons etc. that stuff isn't interesting to me it's the passionate hockey that I like to see. The kind where you're hanging all over Hiller and we give you a good face washing and sit you on your ass. I would say I most definitely live in the area and spend a lot of money supporting the team.

Old
03-27-2012, 01:22 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Well the Bruins seemed to have no problems beating us on the 2nd half of a back to back.
The game was 3-2 with a ridiculous disallowed goal. They had plenty of difficulty. Beating the Kings the night before was another matter entirely.

Old
03-27-2012, 02:11 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
The game was 3-2 with a ridiculous disallowed goal. They had plenty of difficulty. Beating the Kings the night before was another matter entirely.
It didn't look like most of the guys on our roster were even putting in their best effort.

Old
03-27-2012, 02:12 PM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Oh sorry, didn't realise not wanting to dress an entire roster of goons made me anti-fighting. My bad.

I'm like many, I do want a tough team that sticks up for itself etc, but they have to be able to play hockey. Not be generally useless like Parros for example.

Old
03-27-2012, 02:13 PM
gratefulyours
Great 8 = T. Selanne

vCash: 483
Quote:
not sure why you quoted me just to say that but...

bruins are the defending champions.

they totally shut down our offense. taking more penalties or having a fight would have changed their dominating defense how exactly?

look who scored in that game, selanne and lubo. not the big tough guys.

beleskey got a shot through cause cogliano, <---not a tough guy, was screening the crease.

our skill guys on the 2nd - 4th lines +hiller kept us in that game, not hitting and fighting.

Old
03-27-2012, 03:51 PM
DaDucks

vCash: 50
I've seen enough ducks games to know they play their best when they are physical. Everyone should agree with that

Old
03-27-2012, 04:06 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDucks View Post
I've seen enough ducks games to know they play their best when they are physical. Everyone should agree with that
In the past, I'd agree. With the current roster? I'm not so sure. This team doesn't look built around that type of play. I don't think we should try to make the team something they are not.

Which doesn't means that I'm happy with things. I still don't see this team as having much of an identity.

Old
03-27-2012, 04:29 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I still don't see this team as having much of an identity.
I'm sure it will come into focus near the end of next season's camp. I'm curious to see what Boudreau assembles when all of the options are on the table.

Old
03-27-2012, 05:08 PM
TheFlyingV
Anatidaephobia

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulyours View Post
not sure why you quoted me just to say that but...

bruins are the defending champions.
Your Point? We got beat by the New York Islanders the year we won the cup.

Quote:
they totally shut down our offense. taking more penalties or having a fight would have changed their dominating defense how exactly?
Checking does not equal Fighting/Taking penalties(which the Ducks do just fine in anyway)

Quote:
look who scored in that game, selanne and lubo. not the big tough guys.
And guys like Andy McDonald scored goals with us too.
Quote:
beleskey got a shot through cause cogliano, <---not a tough guy, was screening the crease.
Cogliano was completely alone out in front if my memory serves me right.

Quote:
our skill guys on the 2nd - 4th lines +hiller kept us in that game, not hitting and fighting.
So-and-So kept us in the game has been the story of the season. Just barley hanging on by a thread all the time.

Old
03-27-2012, 07:42 PM
Papaspud
Bring on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
Oh sorry, didn't realise not wanting to dress an entire roster of goons made me anti-fighting. My bad.

I'm like many, I do want a tough team that sticks up for itself etc, but they have to be able to play hockey. Not be generally useless like Parros for example.
Parros is FAR from being generally useless.

Old
03-27-2012, 08:04 PM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

Old
03-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Dirk316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
In the past, I'd agree. With the current roster? I'm not so sure. This team doesn't look built around that type of play. I don't think we should try to make the team something they are not.

Which doesn't means that I'm happy with things. I still don't see this team as having much of an identity.
Getzlaf Perry and Ryan the players this team is built around all feed of physical play and fighting

Old
03-27-2012, 08:54 PM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

vCash: 150
If anyone is watching the Bruins game I'm going to flip s*** if that's goal.

WHAT???? Same exact scenario as Cogs last night but the Bruins player actually prevented Roloson and ran into him from making a save... And it's a goal

**** u refs

Old
03-27-2012, 09:26 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Getzlaf Perry and Ryan the players this team is built around all feed of physical play and fighting
Since 08-09 Ryan has 3 regular season fights, Getzlaf has 9 and Perry has 10.

Hit totals the last 4 years (this year first)
R 110, 156, 127, 78
P 78, 64, 93, 109
G 175, 189, 178, 134

Getzlaf hits, but his fight totals have never been high and have dropped the last 2 years. Perry has become a much less physical player as far as hitting and fighting and it's a stretch to even call him a power forward at this point - however the Hart trophy says that really doesn't matter. Ryan doesn't fight unless it's a line brawl game, and he's not much of a hitter for a power forward. Brown has 285, Callahan 265, Lucic 262, Kunitz 207, Backes 204 - this year.

If you're saying they only play well when the REST of the team is hitting and fighting, well, they really aren't star players then. Do your own work. If they actually feed off of Parros' staged fights, I'm not sure why your teammate getting beaten up inspires you - Parros gets credit for being willing to fight anyone, but he inspires zero fear and if he gets a draw it's a good fight. If you want to say they were better when the likes of Moen and May were running around fighting punitively, I won't argue, but that doesn't help Parros' case. Other teams with heavies weren't even starting them against the Ducks this year, so the thought that are players were afraid of the other heavies holds no water.

They need some 4th liners who are mean/borderline psychopaths if they want to go that route. Parros and his 6:12 of ice time just mean the top line gets overworked every night. Fan favorite but he's a dinosaur. Being skilled only when there's no player within 20 feet of you is pretty worthless as a 4th liner.

Old
03-27-2012, 09:34 PM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDuck View Post
If anyone is watching the Bruins game I'm going to flip s*** if that's goal.

WHAT???? Same exact scenario as Cogs last night but the Bruins player actually prevented Roloson and ran into him from making a save... And it's a goal

**** u refs
It's NHL, what do you expect?

And to think there are smartasses in that thread that were claiming goals like that are an "automatic waive-off".

Remember when H.Sedin knocked Hiller down with his knee going through the crease? Or when Jimmi Howard skated out of the crease and fell down by colliding with Perry on his own accord? And so on, and so on...

Old
03-28-2012, 12:01 AM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
No, they really aren't. The physical aspect? Sure, I'll grant that Perry and Getzlaf seem to be more effective players when they engage physically. Ryan? Not so much. He plays much smaller than he is. As for fighting? No. They don't fight very often, and they shouldn't. You don't want your best players in the box for 5 minutes.

That also doesn't make the entire team better when they are physical and/or fighting. In no way does one equate to the other. They might be three of the core players on the team, but they aren't the entire team. Players like Visnovsky, Fowler, Sbisa, Selanne, Koivu, Blake, and so on... also make up the team. That isn't a line-up that is going to intimidate teams physically, and when they beat you on the scoreboard it isn't going to be because they attempt to do so on the ice. It's going to be because they are talented hockey players.

Old
03-28-2012, 12:17 AM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaspud View Post
Parros is FAR from being generally useless.
With respect, on the ice, I think he's pretty close to useless. You might point to the skills competition as an argument against that, but that's just a skills competition. Shooting 4 for 4 at targets doesn't mean a whole lot during an actual game.

Parros is actually proof of that. What does he have to show for it? If he didn't drop the gloves, would he even be a fringe player in the NHL? I doubt it. He's never had more than 10 points, he's not a particularly good hitter, and as a fighter I'm not convinced he's actually a heavyweight except in name only. He doesn't seem to intimidate anyone, and he seems to lose more fights than he wins.

I think he's a great person, and I hope he stays with the organization in some capacity, but as a player, I really think he's just taking up a spot for someone else.

Old
03-28-2012, 12:36 AM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
I'm sure it will come into focus near the end of next season's camp. I'm curious to see what Boudreau assembles when all of the options are on the table.
That was more a backhanded slap at Murray than it was Boudreau. I was never a big believer that Carlyle was the problem, and I honestly believe Murray cut him loose to save his own ass, but what's done is done. Boudreau is the coach now, and I think he deserves his chance. I think, at least in my opinion, what we've seen so far with him coaching is that the players were the issue. Murray threatened them, and they played for their jobs. Now that their jobs are safe, we're seeing a lot of the same crap. Except for Hiller, who just looks like he's Hiller again.

I'm rambling a bit. Basically, Boudreau hasn't had enough time. This team was never going to turn it around strictly because they changed the coach. Hell, Hiller getting back to form had a much bigger impact on the results than the coaching change did, which is what I've been preaching all along. This falls on the players. I'm sure Boudreau has some ideas on what direction the team needs to head, and I'm sure he'll express those ideas to Murray... who is the person I think needs to be put under the spotlight. It's Murray's job to give Boudreau a team that can compete, and I think the identity starts with Murray. It certainly did with Burke, and the other Murray before him. After that, I think it falls to the coach and the players, but I absolutely believe it starts with the GM.

It's not all Murray, of course. The players need to be held accountable too, and this season they just haven't been good enough. I just don't think Murray has done a good enough job in the off-season. Too often I feel like Murray is having to fix problems of his own making; patching holes that he left open, or actually created. That type of thing. Not that Burke was perfect. Far from it. I just felt like Burke was more proactive about fixing the problems(sometimes to a fault), where Murray is just reacting to problems as they crop up, but for the most part is willing to let things stagnate(the 2nd line comes to mind here).

Closed Thread