HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steen returns tonight vs. Coyotes!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-25-2012, 04:51 PM
  #1
STL fan in IA
Registered User
 
STL fan in IA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,209
vCash: 500
Steen returns tonight vs. Coyotes!



Steener's back!

This is being discussed in the GDT and I suppose it can also be put in the injury tracker thread but I think the news of Steener returning is worthy of a thread all it's own!

I'm pretty surprised he's returning after only 1 practice with contact but if he says he's ready then put him in there!! Can't wait to watch tonight!

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 04:54 PM
  #2
uncommonsense52
(blue bleeder 24-7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 2,318
vCash: 500
Steen is part one of three key injuries imo. If Polak and McDonald can make it back in time for the first round, we're going to be rather beastly.

uncommonsense52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 05:02 PM
  #3
beatoni12
Registered User
 
beatoni12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 17
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue bleeder 24-7 View Post
Steen is part one of three key injuries imo. If Polak and McDonald can make it back in time for the first round, we're going to be rather beastly.
Yup. If we get AMac and Polak back, and don't lose anyone else, then that's the roster we've all been dreaming about all year.

Pretty exciting with playoffs just around the corner.

beatoni12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 05:08 PM
  #4
Mike Liut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,046
vCash: 50
Hitch is going to have fun jumbling the lineups once amac returns.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 05:30 PM
  #5
kittensmasher
moe.ron
 
kittensmasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 524
vCash: 500


Wow...GREAT news!

kittensmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 05:33 PM
  #6
Alklha
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 10,492
vCash: 868
Wow! Did this come from nowhere, or did I manage to miss the talk of him being so close to a return?

Fantastic news.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 05:48 PM
  #7
SoulChaser17
Registered User
 
SoulChaser17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Wow! Did this come from nowhere, or did I manage to miss the talk of him being so close to a return?

Fantastic news.
Pretty sure it came out of nowhere. Seems no one was expecting it at all.

SoulChaser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 06:05 PM
  #8
Boombox Generation
Vlad the Scorer
 
Boombox Generation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 5,165
vCash: 500
This is so fantastic!!

Boombox Generation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 06:16 PM
  #9
homeoftheBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 32
vCash: 236
Woo Hoo! I'm thrilled, can't wait until 8:00. Good to see them moving back towards the middle of the country. Those 9:30 starts are a killer

homeoftheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 06:52 PM
  #10
Mike Liut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,046
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeoftheBlues View Post
Woo Hoo! I'm thrilled, can't wait until 8:00. Good to see them moving back towards the middle of the country. Those 9:30 starts are a killer

Those late starts were hurting my sex life

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:08 PM
  #11
SoulChaser17
Registered User
 
SoulChaser17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
Those late starts were hurting my sex life
Ha. Well at least you have a sex life.

Dry spells suuuuuuck.

SoulChaser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:35 PM
  #12
BDEuph
Hotty Toddy
 
BDEuph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 284
vCash: 500
This news make me wanna:


BDEuph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:45 PM
  #13
Mike Liut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,046
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDEuph View Post
This news make me wanna:



That's Gene-Gene the dancing machine, lol. Awesome

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 12:25 AM
  #14
STL fan in IA
Registered User
 
STL fan in IA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,209
vCash: 500
I just hope Steener's ok after taking that skate to the face. He might've lost some chicklets there but I'd be more worried about a guy just coming back from a concussion taking a kick to the face.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 07:46 AM
  #15
erderuft
Registered User
 
erderuft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Borås, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 525
vCash: 500
I don't think we have to worry about Alex Steen too much. This is from Swedish newspaper Aftonbladets site. Link to original (in Swedish). My own translation.

He's missed 39 games with a severe concussion. But when St. Louis shut out Phoenix tonight, Alex Steen was finally back on the ice again. Unfortunately the night ended with him getting hit in the mouth by a skate.
--I'm not really lucky right now, a couple of teeth got knocked out, and I had to get some stitches. But the head felt fine, and it was a really great feeling to play again, the 28 year-old NHL:er says after the a 4-0 victory.

It's been three months since Alex Steen, in a game against Detroit, got pushed with a good but devestating hit against the sideboards. Since then he hasn't only had to refrain from playing hockey, he has been haunted with serious concussion-related symptoms, including blurry sight. But after five weeks of special treatment with a spinal- and concussions-expert in California, the 28 year-old Swede -- who, like Washingtons Nicklas Backstrom was in the middle of a career-year when he got injured -- finally got to come back on the ice.
--Incredibly great feeling, he says when we speak to him after the final whistle. I've been living alone in California for the past five weeks, so just to get to meet the other guys on the team was really fun. And to get to go out on the ice for a game again felt fantastic. I've really missed this.

Because he still suffers from light-sensitivity, he has to play with a specially made visor in dark tinted plastic.
--Everything kinda calmes down when I have it on, but at the same time, I've played without a visor for six seasons now and only just tested this out in a few practices, so it feels a little bit unusual, Alex says. Other than that he felt quite fine after being away for such a long time.
--I was a little rusty right at the beginning, but the longer into the game we got, the better it felt. Our line created quite a lot of chances and we could've had at least a couple of goals, but the puck just refused to go in.

Unfortunately the come-back night still ended badly for the Blues star. Right at the end of the third period he was hit in the mouth by Phoenix-center Alexandre Bolduc's skate, and was forced to end the game then and there. But the game was won quite easily by the Blues, who therefore secures their position as the top team in the league.
--That's really important for us, we want to be exactly where we are. We'll do our best to win the remaining games and then go into the playoffs on a high note.

erderuft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 08:05 AM
  #16
execwrite
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Peekskill, NY
Posts: 3,723
vCash: 500
Thanks erderuft - great news. Now we can carry on today in peace.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 08:16 AM
  #17
STL fan in IA
Registered User
 
STL fan in IA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by erderuft View Post
I don't think we have to worry about Alex Steen too much. This is from Swedish newspaper Aftonbladets site. Link to original (in Swedish). My own translation.

He's missed 39 games with a severe concussion. But when St. Louis shut out Phoenix tonight, Alex Steen was finally back on the ice again. Unfortunately the night ended with him getting hit in the mouth by a skate.
--I'm not really lucky right now, a couple of teeth got knocked out, and I had to get some stitches. But the head felt fine, and it was a really great feeling to play again, the 28 year-old NHL:er says after the a 4-0 victory.

It's been three months since Alex Steen, in a game against Detroit, got pushed with a good but devestating hit against the sideboards. Since then he hasn't only had to refrain from playing hockey, he has been haunted with serious concussion-related symptoms, including blurry sight. But after five weeks of special treatment with a spinal- and concussions-expert in California, the 28 year-old Swede -- who, like Washingtons Nicklas Backstrom was in the middle of a career-year when he got injured -- finally got to come back on the ice.
--Incredibly great feeling, he says when we speak to him after the final whistle. I've been living alone in California for the past five weeks, so just to get to meet the other guys on the team was really fun. And to get to go out on the ice for a game again felt fantastic. I've really missed this.

Because he still suffers from light-sensitivity, he has to play with a specially made visor in dark tinted plastic.
--Everything kinda calmes down when I have it on, but at the same time, I've played without a visor for six seasons now and only just tested this out in a few practices, so it feels a little bit unusual, Alex says. Other than that he felt quite fine after being away for such a long time.
--I was a little rusty right at the beginning, but the longer into the game we got, the better it felt. Our line created quite a lot of chances and we could've had at least a couple of goals, but the puck just refused to go in.

Unfortunately the come-back night still ended badly for the Blues star. Right at the end of the third period he was hit in the mouth by Phoenix-center Alexandre Bolduc's skate, and was forced to end the game then and there. But the game was won quite easily by the Blues, who therefore secures their position as the top team in the league.
--That's really important for us, we want to be exactly where we are. We'll do our best to win the remaining games and then go into the playoffs on a high note.
Thank you very much for that translation! That makes me feel a lot better about Steen. Still, hopefully he's still feeling well after waking up today!

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 10:07 AM
  #18
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 9,550
vCash: 50
Steen's shifts were short, and his conditioning seems to be not up to par yet (but that's OK).

His timing was off a few times, but he also made a couple "hockey sense" plays. I think he should be in synch by the playoffs.

He has lost some muscle mass. Can't remember the interview now, but he has talked about it. This is one of the hardest things for players returning from concussion. Its not an injury where you can keep up your conditioning or be able to skate regularly. Steen's not going to be as strong on the boards as he usually is. However, I think he's still going to be a huge help to the team.

I loved seeing that line with Steen/Arnott/Langenbrunner. I suspect Steen moves up to Stewart's spot when he gets back into game shape and Stewart goes back into the slot with Arnott, where he has shown some spark.

This is a great (and unexpected) development. I was listening to the Phoenix feed since its "local" for me, and the FSMW is blacked out. I thought I saw a #20 out there, but the tinted visor threw me off. It wasn't until the end of the 1st period that I was able to confirm Steen was playing. It was an awesome surprise.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 10:18 AM
  #19
frostyflo
#peskyblues
 
frostyflo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 3,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by erderuft View Post
I don't think we have to worry about Alex Steen too much. This is from Swedish newspaper Aftonbladets site. Link to original (in Swedish). My own translation.

He's missed 39 games with a severe concussion. But when St. Louis shut out Phoenix tonight, Alex Steen was finally back on the ice again. Unfortunately the night ended with him getting hit in the mouth by a skate.
--I'm not really lucky right now, a couple of teeth got knocked out, and I had to get some stitches. But the head felt fine, and it was a really great feeling to play again, the 28 year-old NHL:er says after the a 4-0 victory.

It's been three months since Alex Steen, in a game against Detroit, got pushed with a good but devestating hit against the sideboards. Since then he hasn't only had to refrain from playing hockey, he has been haunted with serious concussion-related symptoms, including blurry sight. But after five weeks of special treatment with a spinal- and concussions-expert in California, the 28 year-old Swede -- who, like Washingtons Nicklas Backstrom was in the middle of a career-year when he got injured -- finally got to come back on the ice.
--Incredibly great feeling, he says when we speak to him after the final whistle. I've been living alone in California for the past five weeks, so just to get to meet the other guys on the team was really fun. And to get to go out on the ice for a game again felt fantastic. I've really missed this.

Because he still suffers from light-sensitivity, he has to play with a specially made visor in dark tinted plastic.
--Everything kinda calmes down when I have it on, but at the same time, I've played without a visor for six seasons now and only just tested this out in a few practices, so it feels a little bit unusual, Alex says. Other than that he felt quite fine after being away for such a long time.
--I was a little rusty right at the beginning, but the longer into the game we got, the better it felt. Our line created quite a lot of chances and we could've had at least a couple of goals, but the puck just refused to go in.

Unfortunately the come-back night still ended badly for the Blues star. Right at the end of the third period he was hit in the mouth by Phoenix-center Alexandre Bolduc's skate, and was forced to end the game then and there. But the game was won quite easily by the Blues, who therefore secures their position as the top team in the league.
--That's really important for us, we want to be exactly where we are. We'll do our best to win the remaining games and then go into the playoffs on a high note.
good read, thank you!

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 10:48 AM
  #20
STL fan in IA
Registered User
 
STL fan in IA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Steen's shifts were short, and his conditioning seems to be not up to par yet (but that's OK).

His timing was off a few times, but he also made a couple "hockey sense" plays. I think he should be in synch by the playoffs.

He has lost some muscle mass. Can't remember the interview now, but he has talked about it. This is one of the hardest things for players returning from concussion. Its not an injury where you can keep up your conditioning or be able to skate regularly. Steen's not going to be as strong on the boards as he usually is. However, I think he's still going to be a huge help to the team.

I loved seeing that line with Steen/Arnott/Langenbrunner. I suspect Steen moves up to Stewart's spot when he gets back into game shape and Stewart goes back into the slot with Arnott, where he has shown some spark.

This is a great (and unexpected) development. I was listening to the Phoenix feed since its "local" for me, and the FSMW is blacked out. I thought I saw a #20 out there, but the tinted visor threw me off. It wasn't until the end of the 1st period that I was able to confirm Steen was playing. It was an awesome surprise.
I would think that Steen will eventually find his way back onto the Backes-Oshie line. He'd have to play RW to replace Stewart and Steen's pretty much a LW exclusively. With Steen with Backes-Oshie and McDonald with Bergy-Perron, I'd probably then put either Schwartz or Sobotka with Arnott-Stewart.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 10:59 AM
  #21
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex
 
TheOrganist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,017
vCash: 500
Steen really makes our top 9 unreal on paper with McDonald back.

With all do respect to Sobotka, you can just see how much smarter Steen is with the puck coming down the wing. He made a great play on an odd-man rush in the 3rd period when he hesitated, forced the D back, while knowing the whole time that he was gonna hit the traiilng D up on the play (I think Petro) who had a good scoring chance.

Sobotka would've had his head down while taking a shot from 35 feet that would have been blocked.

Just that one play revealed how Steen's smarts create a lot of offense. You add Jaden to mix and get Mac back then perhaps add D'ags over Stewart and I love the versatility of our top 9.

Either way, our depth is fantastic and can withstand injuries if we are fortunate enough to go on a run.

Hitch will have some tough decisions to make.

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 11:09 AM
  #22
stlweir
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,516
vCash: 500
Sobotka does so many things well but he just can't finish.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 11:31 AM
  #23
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain
 
Dolph Ziggler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 11,699
vCash: 380
My lines would be this:

Steen-Backes-Oshie
McDonald-Berglund-Perron
Schwartz-Arnott-Stewart
Sobotka-Nichol-Langenbrunner

....never dreamed I'd have Reaves as a healthy scratch

Dolph Ziggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 11:44 AM
  #24
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex
 
TheOrganist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
My lines would be this:

Steen-Backes-Oshie
McDonald-Berglund-Perron
Schwartz-Arnott-Stewart
Sobotka-Nichol-Langenbrunner

....never dreamed I'd have Reaves as a healthy scratch
Have the exact same lineup in mind with Stewart getting the first crack at 3rd line RW once the playoffs start...but if he remains ineffective than D'ags gets a shot.

I would personally see Reaves over Langebrunner as I think he has more impact on a game shift to shfit but Hitch won't scratch JL because of his background and the fact that he kills penalties (even though the Blues have plenty of capable forwards to kill penalties).

Crombeen just isn't good enough to crack the lineup and Porter has had a good second half but will sit due to depth (can he go back to Peoria if they make the playoffs or is he, like Cole, inelgible?).

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 12:01 PM
  #25
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 9,550
vCash: 50
Porter, Crombeen, Reaves and D'Agostini out with this roster.

Porter: He's played well in his role. If bottom 6 guy went down, I wouldn't feel bad with him coming in.

Crombeen: Has played up and down, and has a painful tendency to try and do too much (and commit penalties). Its hard to know what he'd provide, but he hasn't played well enough to deserve a spot in this line-up.

Reaves: I love watching him play. That 4th line with Nichol and Porter/Crombeen has been effective and that is in large part to Reaves. Its a shame when he gets scratched, but there will be injuries.

D'Agostini: He wasn't playing well enough BEFORE the concussion to secure a spot with a fully healthy roster, and I don't think the post-concussion version of D'Ags is going to be a factor in the post-season even if he is available.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.