HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

So IS Giroux a top 5 player in the NHL?

View Poll Results: Is Claude Giroux a top 5 player in the NHL?
Yes 63 36.42%
No 110 63.58%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-27-2012, 06:50 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Ovechkin isn't in the top 30 scorers this year but I guess since he's an undisputed top 5 player he gets a pass.

Giroux was pretty close to a PPG last season and was obviously trending upward. People who saw him play most often (his GM and scouts) made roster makeover decisions based on his progression as a player. He then responded by taking a major leap forward in scoring. He's such a complete player though that even if he were only an 80 point scorer I think he'd definitely be in the conversation for top 10 player and top 5 forward. See, the points are nice but what what most Giroux apologists seem to have in common is an understanding of the player beyond gaudy numbers.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 08:13 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Ovechkin isn't in the top 30 scorers this year but I guess since he's an undisputed top 5 player he gets a pass.

Giroux was pretty close to a PPG last season and was obviously trending upward. People who saw him play most often (his GM and scouts) made roster makeover decisions based on his progression as a player. He then responded by taking a major leap forward in scoring. He's such a complete player though that even if he were only an 80 point scorer I think he'd definitely be in the conversation for top 10 player and top 5 forward. See, the points are nice but what what most Giroux apologists seem to have in common is an understanding of the player beyond gaudy numbers.
Well, looking at the production and financials of Couturier, Voracek, Schenn, and Simmonds vs the players traded in the decisions you mention (not to mention the draft picks on top), you could also suggest that Philly's GM made those moves based on the vision of how that group would grow together and contribute (while also being "cheaper" in the mean time, mind you) - just as much as they may have decided to go with Giroux as "their guy". Those moves ultimately proved successful on a few levels; not just because of how the emergence of Giroux would figure in. Credit to Giroux for stepping up out of the Carter/Richards shadow the way he has, though.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 09:46 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Well, looking at the production and financials of Couturier, Voracek, Schenn, and Simmonds vs the players traded in the decisions you mention (not to mention the draft picks on top), you could also suggest that Philly's GM made those moves based on the vision of how that group would grow together and contribute (while also being "cheaper" in the mean time, mind you) - just as much as they may have decided to go with Giroux as "their guy". Those moves ultimately proved successful on a few levels; not just because of how the emergence of Giroux would figure in. Credit to Giroux for stepping up out of the Carter/Richards shadow the way he has, though.
Right, but I think it's safe to say that the lynchpin of the whole scenario was who was going to center the top line. Obviously, Holmgren expected good things out of the players he acquired, but he traded some quite talented players largely because he wanted a larger part of the team's identity to be defined by Giroux rather than Richards or Carter. I know none of that in itself makes Giroux a top anything player but judging by how he responded I think it does say a lot about his standing in the league.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:50 PM
dan1el

A ridiculous statement.

Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Chara, Weber, Lundqvist, Thomas, and, right now, even Ovechkin are much better.

dan1el is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 03:54 PM

vCash: 50
Can someone PLEASE finally show me something that suggests that Stamkos is so much better than Giroux? Pretty much everything points to Giroux.

Are goals just too sexy?

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 05:23 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Can someone PLEASE finally show me something that suggests that Stamkos is so much better than Giroux? Pretty much everything points to Giroux.

Are goals just too sexy?
As long as the league keeps implementing changes to increase scoring, as opposed to changing rules to limit scoring, then yes... domination in goal scoring is going to be considered quite significant - or sexy.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 06:11 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

No. But definitely top 10.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 06:22 PM
LaFan1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post

Are goals just too sexy?
since you asked

Philly 257 goals for , Giroux 86 points. % of team scoring .335
TB 223 goals for , Stamkos 92 points. % of team scoring .413

Philly +35 goal diff , Giroux +4 (15th on Philly )
TB - 45 goal diff , Stamkos +5 ( 3rd on TB )

ppg

Giroux 1.16
Stamkos 1.18

Giroux 24 years old
Stamkos 22 years old

LaFan1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
I think he's one of the five best players in the NHL at the moment. But next year others might bounce back and he'll slip back. These things are rarely stable.

I'm not including goalies because it's impossible to compare with skaters.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 06:32 PM
DatsyukianDeke
Dangle Dangle

No...

DatsyukianDeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Blaaah

vCash: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFan1967 View Post
since you asked

Philly 257 goals for , Giroux 86 points. % of team scoring .335
TB 223 goals for , Stamkos 92 points. % of team scoring .413

Philly +35 goal diff , Giroux +4 (15th on Philly )
TB - 45 goal diff , Stamkos +5 ( 3rd on TB )

ppg

Giroux 1.16
Stamkos 1.18

Giroux 24 years old
Stamkos 22 years old

Giroux plays the PK and actually back checks which is why he received selke votes.
To go along with his incredible offensive skills.

Blaaah is offline   Reply With Quote