HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

So IS Giroux a top 5 player in the NHL?

View Poll Results: Is Claude Giroux a top 5 player in the NHL?
Yes 63 36.42%
No 110 63.58%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-27-2012, 06:50 PM
  #101
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 14,655
vCash: 250
Ovechkin isn't in the top 30 scorers this year but I guess since he's an undisputed top 5 player he gets a pass.

Giroux was pretty close to a PPG last season and was obviously trending upward. People who saw him play most often (his GM and scouts) made roster makeover decisions based on his progression as a player. He then responded by taking a major leap forward in scoring. He's such a complete player though that even if he were only an 80 point scorer I think he'd definitely be in the conversation for top 10 player and top 5 forward. See, the points are nice but what what most Giroux apologists seem to have in common is an understanding of the player beyond gaudy numbers.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 08:13 PM
  #102
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Ovechkin isn't in the top 30 scorers this year but I guess since he's an undisputed top 5 player he gets a pass.

Giroux was pretty close to a PPG last season and was obviously trending upward. People who saw him play most often (his GM and scouts) made roster makeover decisions based on his progression as a player. He then responded by taking a major leap forward in scoring. He's such a complete player though that even if he were only an 80 point scorer I think he'd definitely be in the conversation for top 10 player and top 5 forward. See, the points are nice but what what most Giroux apologists seem to have in common is an understanding of the player beyond gaudy numbers.
Well, looking at the production and financials of Couturier, Voracek, Schenn, and Simmonds vs the players traded in the decisions you mention (not to mention the draft picks on top), you could also suggest that Philly's GM made those moves based on the vision of how that group would grow together and contribute (while also being "cheaper" in the mean time, mind you) - just as much as they may have decided to go with Giroux as "their guy". Those moves ultimately proved successful on a few levels; not just because of how the emergence of Giroux would figure in. Credit to Giroux for stepping up out of the Carter/Richards shadow the way he has, though.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 09:46 PM
  #103
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 14,655
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Well, looking at the production and financials of Couturier, Voracek, Schenn, and Simmonds vs the players traded in the decisions you mention (not to mention the draft picks on top), you could also suggest that Philly's GM made those moves based on the vision of how that group would grow together and contribute (while also being "cheaper" in the mean time, mind you) - just as much as they may have decided to go with Giroux as "their guy". Those moves ultimately proved successful on a few levels; not just because of how the emergence of Giroux would figure in. Credit to Giroux for stepping up out of the Carter/Richards shadow the way he has, though.
Right, but I think it's safe to say that the lynchpin of the whole scenario was who was going to center the top line. Obviously, Holmgren expected good things out of the players he acquired, but he traded some quite talented players largely because he wanted a larger part of the team's identity to be defined by Giroux rather than Richards or Carter. I know none of that in itself makes Giroux a top anything player but judging by how he responded I think it does say a lot about his standing in the league.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:50 PM
  #104
dan1el
Registered User
 
dan1el's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,670
vCash: 500
A ridiculous statement.

Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Chara, Weber, Lundqvist, Thomas, and, right now, even Ovechkin are much better.

dan1el is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 03:54 PM
  #105
1865
Registered User
 
1865's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chester, UK
Country: England
Posts: 9,159
vCash: 50
Can someone PLEASE finally show me something that suggests that Stamkos is so much better than Giroux? Pretty much everything points to Giroux.

Are goals just too sexy?

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 05:23 PM
  #106
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Can someone PLEASE finally show me something that suggests that Stamkos is so much better than Giroux? Pretty much everything points to Giroux.

Are goals just too sexy?
As long as the league keeps implementing changes to increase scoring, as opposed to changing rules to limit scoring, then yes... domination in goal scoring is going to be considered quite significant - or sexy.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 06:11 PM
  #107
Mansfield
possession obsession
 
Mansfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,843
vCash: 500
No. But definitely top 10.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 06:22 PM
  #108
LaFan1967
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Can someone PLEASE finally show me something that suggests that Stamkos is so much better than Giroux? Pretty much everything points to Giroux.

Are goals just too sexy?
since you asked

Philly 257 goals for , Giroux 86 points. % of team scoring .335
TB 223 goals for , Stamkos 92 points. % of team scoring .413

Philly +35 goal diff , Giroux +4 (15th on Philly )
TB - 45 goal diff , Stamkos +5 ( 3rd on TB )

ppg

Giroux 1.16
Stamkos 1.18

Giroux 24 years old
Stamkos 22 years old

LaFan1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 06:29 PM
  #109
Freudian
Patty likes beef
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 28,688
vCash: 50
I think he's one of the five best players in the NHL at the moment. But next year others might bounce back and he'll slip back. These things are rarely stable.

I'm not including goalies because it's impossible to compare with skaters.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 06:32 PM
  #110
DatsyukianDeke
Dangle Dangle
 
DatsyukianDeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,582
vCash: 500
No...

DatsyukianDeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 01:14 PM
  #111
Blaaah
Registered User
 
Blaaah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 615
vCash: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFan1967 View Post
since you asked

Philly 257 goals for , Giroux 86 points. % of team scoring .335
TB 223 goals for , Stamkos 92 points. % of team scoring .413

Philly +35 goal diff , Giroux +4 (15th on Philly )
TB - 45 goal diff , Stamkos +5 ( 3rd on TB )

ppg

Giroux 1.16
Stamkos 1.18

Giroux 24 years old
Stamkos 22 years old

Giroux plays the PK and actually back checks which is why he received selke votes.
To go along with his incredible offensive skills.

Blaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.