HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Roller Hockey Skate Care

Old
03-27-2012, 11:29 AM
do0glas

vCash: 500
Roller Hockey Skate Care

Hello all,

Not sure how many inline guys roam these parts but:

Im about to get some new skates in the mail, and provided that they fit properly ill be using them at least every other day (mostly solo practice).

1. how often should i rotate the wheels?

2. how often should i clean the wheels/bearings?

3. is it worth it to have inline skates "baked"?

4. how big of a difference will it be transitioning from ABEC 3 to ABEC 9 bearings?

Thanks in advance for any help!

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 11:31 AM
johnan2112

Are you going to be playing indoors or outdoors? If you're playing indoors, you really don't need to rotate the wheels. They'll pretty much crack and will need to be replaced before they wear out to one side.

ABEC 3 to ABEC 9 will be a huge difference. I'd say get the 9's if you have the cash for it.

johnan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 11:48 AM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnan2112 View Post
Are you going to be playing indoors or outdoors? If you're playing indoors, you really don't need to rotate the wheels. They'll pretty much crack and will need to be replaced before they wear out to one side.

ABEC 3 to ABEC 9 will be a huge difference. I'd say get the 9's if you have the cash for it.
up until june ill be outdoors.

once i move in the summer ill be indoor once a week and practice outdoor when i can, since the outdoor rink is a little drive.

The skates ive been using (brother in laws old pair) were ABEC 3. the mission skates i bought come stock with ABEC 9, ill probably fall a couple times im guessing before i get used to it.

Old
03-27-2012, 12:11 PM
650X2

I clean my wheels and bearings when they look dirty. Sometimes the place keeps the floor really clean and I can go a few months without cleaning them. Sometimes I have to do it like every 5 games.

I have not known anyone on any of my teams get their skates baked.

650X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:26 PM
Beezeral

don't know how much money you have, but this should be your ideal system.

considering you will be playing both indoor and outdoor, you should have 2 sets of wheels and bearings.

Depending on your financial situation, the wheels that are coming with your new missions should never touch the outdoor surface. Im not sure what wheels the skates are coming with, but if its a "soft" wheel like the labeda dynasty wheels, they will be destroyed within a couple sessions out doors. If your skates come with a harder wheel, I would put the ABEC 3 bearings in those wheels and buy yourself a good set of indoor wheels to use for your ABEC 9's.

I can't stress enough how important having two sets of wheels is. If you use hard wheels indoors, you will have issues gripping the surface and will slip on the rink pretty frequently.

If you use soft wheels on both surfaces, you will destroy the wheels pretty quickly outdoors as well as have the wheels pick up all the dirt and what not from the outdoors and they will be useless both outside and inside.

The seperate bearings is more of a personal preference. More dirt and what not is accumulated outdoors, so I dont want my high performance bearings getting gunked up outside and be less effective during games.

I know the constant wheel switching can be time consuming and annoying, but the difference you will see in performance is absolutely worth it

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 12:43 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
don't know how much money you have, but this should be your ideal system.

considering you will be playing both indoor and outdoor, you should have 2 sets of wheels and bearings.

Depending on your financial situation, the wheels that are coming with your new missions should never touch the outdoor surface. Im not sure what wheels the skates are coming with, but if its a "soft" wheel like the labeda dynasty wheels, they will be destroyed within a couple sessions out doors. If your skates come with a harder wheel, I would put the ABEC 3 bearings in those wheels and buy yourself a good set of indoor wheels to use for your ABEC 9's.

I can't stress enough how important having two sets of wheels is. If you use hard wheels indoors, you will have issues gripping the surface and will slip on the rink pretty frequently.

If you use soft wheels on both surfaces, you will destroy the wheels pretty quickly outdoors as well as have the wheels pick up all the dirt and what not from the outdoors and they will be useless both outside and inside.

The seperate bearings is more of a personal preference. More dirt and what not is accumulated outdoors, so I dont want my high performance bearings getting gunked up outside and be less effective during games.

I know the constant wheel switching can be time consuming and annoying, but the difference you will see in performance is absolutely worth it
I definitely agree,

i wish i could find packs with my setup instead of having to buy each wheel separately. since ill be outdoors for the next couple of months i may just ride on the stock ones until i move and then replace them and get two sets when i move.

Thanks for the help!

Old
03-27-2012, 12:48 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
I definitely agree,

i wish i could find packs with my setup instead of having to buy each wheel separately. since ill be outdoors for the next couple of months i may just ride on the stock ones until i move and then replace them and get two sets when i move.

Thanks for the help!
I would be carefull, if mission is already sending you skates with good wheels, you don't want to use them outside. You will be buying a new set in a few weeks. Depending on what skates you bought, sometimes they come with the good wheels. Then all you have to do is buy a set of outdoor wheels and you are all set. If you are using the wheels for their intended purpose, they will last you a couple of years unless you are skating daily.

There is also no such think as a pack of wheels. Do to all the different possible configurations, all wheels are sold individually. If you are new to the roller game and not sure which wheels are a good fit, feel free to PM me.

Old
03-27-2012, 02:04 PM
Ozz

I definitely don't recommend using the softer indoor wheels outside. They'll tear up in no time. I tore a bug chunk of one wheel right off the hub once after skating for about an hour outside. It was dying for a while and it eventually just went completely to hell. Even if that much doesn't happen to you, you'll still wear them down very quickly. Get some hard, outside wheels to use outside. The $40-60 you spend on them will save you countless more when you have to replace indoor wheels all the time because they're used outside.

1. how often should i rotate the wheels? You may very well see them wear down enough to warrant rotation. Even if you just swap 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, and 4-4 it'll help even out the wear as opposed to the old school rotation where you swap fronts & rears. Then again w/today's setups having different-sized wheels you can't do that anyway.

2. how often should i clean the wheels/bearings? - depends on the surface you skate on, check 'em out after every 1-2 games and see what they look like. After skating outside is probably a good idea due to dust, etc. I have a separate bearing set to go w/my wheels for when I play outside so I can save my nicer indoor ones.

3. is it worth it to have inline skates "baked"? Can't say. Never did. Don't think any of my teammates do either.

4. how big of a difference will it be transitioning from ABEC 3 to ABEC 9 bearings?
No clue. I went from 5 to 9 and just noticed they were a bit quicker. Nothing I had to get used to, though.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 02:42 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
I definitely don't recommend using the softer indoor wheels outside. They'll tear up in no time. I tore a bug chunk of one wheel right off the hub once after skating for about an hour outside. It was dying for a while and it eventually just went completely to hell. Even if that much doesn't happen to you, you'll still wear them down very quickly. Get some hard, outside wheels to use outside. The $40-60 you spend on them will save you countless more when you have to replace indoor wheels all the time because they're used outside.

1. how often should i rotate the wheels? You may very well see them wear down enough to warrant rotation. Even if you just swap 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, and 4-4 it'll help even out the wear as opposed to the old school rotation where you swap fronts & rears. Then again w/today's setups having different-sized wheels you can't do that anyway.

2. how often should i clean the wheels/bearings? - depends on the surface you skate on, check 'em out after every 1-2 games and see what they look like. After skating outside is probably a good idea due to dust, etc. I have a separate bearing set to go w/my wheels for when I play outside so I can save my nicer indoor ones.

3. is it worth it to have inline skates "baked"? Can't say. Never did. Don't think any of my teammates do either.

No clue. I went from 5 to 9 and just noticed they were a bit quicker. Nothing I had to get used to, though.
thanks again,

general consensus is that i should get some wheels!

Old
03-27-2012, 02:52 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Hello all,

Not sure how many inline guys roam these parts but:

Im about to get some new skates in the mail, and provided that they fit properly ill be using them at least every other day (mostly solo practice).

1. You'll pretty much have to use your best judgement based on how fast and what level of wear you'll accept.

2. if the bearings are sealed, you should never have to clean them. sealed bearings are used in industry under worse conditions than skating and never get cleaned. if they are grinding, replace them. cleaning wheels only gets some of the dirt out and is only a band-aid, and if you use compressed air, you can actually blow grit into the bearings

3. I bake my own skates and did my inlines and it was worth the price and it actually was effective

4. if you notice any difference it'll be slight, but new 9's will spin much better than dirty 3's

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 03:50 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
1. You'll pretty much have to use your best judgement based on how fast and what level of wear you'll accept.

2. if the bearings are sealed, you should never have to clean them. sealed bearings are used in industry under worse conditions than skating and never get cleaned. if they are grinding, replace them. cleaning wheels only gets some of the dirt out and is only a band-aid, and if you use compressed air, you can actually blow grit into the bearings

3. I bake my own skates and did my inlines and it was worth the price and it actually was effective

4. if you notice any difference it'll be slight, but new 9's will spin much better than dirty 3's
in regards to number 3.

from what i understand you are making the skate mold to your footshape more? is this practice best used when the skate is a little too big or a little too small?

for number 4. right now i have to put a lot into my strides to maintain decent speed, im guessing the 9s wont take as much work?

thanks again!

Old
03-27-2012, 04:25 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
in regards to number 3.

from what i understand you are making the skate mold to your footshape more? is this practice best used when the skate is a little too big or a little too small?

for number 4. right now i have to put a lot into my strides to maintain decent speed, im guessing the 9s wont take as much work?

thanks again!
Baking a skate won't really change the size. What it mostly does is improves the feel. For example, when I bought my most recent skates (ice, but the same idea), they fit well lengthwise and in the forefoot with a good heel lock, but there was a little bit of pressure around the ankles. After baking, the pressure was gone and they fit like slippers. If the skate is too small or too big, baking really isn't going to do much.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 04:33 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
Baking a skate won't really change the size. What it mostly does is improves the feel. For example, when I bought my most recent skates (ice, but the same idea), they fit well lengthwise and in the forefoot with a good heel lock, but there was a little bit of pressure around the ankles. After baking, the pressure was gone and they fit like slippers. If the skate is too small or too big, baking really isn't going to do much.
okay that makes sense.

i found a 4 pack of labeda shooter wheels. so i got two. $46 with shipping, apparently good for outdoor use "smooth concrete" which is what i play on.

thanks for all the help!

Old
03-27-2012, 08:15 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
okay that makes sense.

i found a 4 pack of labeda shooter wheels. so i got two. $46 with shipping, apparently good for outdoor use "smooth concrete" which is what i play on.

thanks for all the help!
Did you make sure the wheel size fits the skates you just ordered?

Old
03-28-2012, 08:16 AM
izzy3

Quote:

1. Look at them and rotate if you feel you need to
2. I never clean bearings, if they get dirty I just swap them out. For outside play you can use the cheaper ones, and for inside/clean sportcourt the ABEC9.
3. If they fit you well doesn't make much sense
4. I never realized a difference, but again it can be that I am 1mph faster on the 9's They are MUCH more sensitive to dirt though

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:05 AM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
Did you make sure the wheel size fits the skates you just ordered?
yup!

needed 4 80MM and 4 76MM.