HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who do we fear in the playoffs?

Old
03-23-2012, 11:03 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

vCash: 500
Who do we fear in the playoffs?

I'm sure it's on everyone's mind who we might match up against, if/when we make it in. Right now obviously it looks like not only will we be in, we might be in and maybe higher than 8th.

Of the teams we might face, are there any we fear with this Kings team in a 7 game series? I know on the local radio 1150 those guys are saying they don't really fear anyone except for maybe Detroit.

Calgary
Chicago
Colorado
Dallas
Detroit
Nashville
Phoenix
St. Louis
San Jose
Vancouver

I look at these guys and facing them in the 1st or 2nd round, I think we have the edge to beat any of them in a 7 game series. I would have to agree that Detroit would be the most dangerous although I think in their hearts, at least the fans, they still remember us upsetting them, lol.

As for the Blues...
We just played St. Louis and the last few days leading up to the game, a lot of Kings fans were worried we would probably lose this one. I know it's just one game, the win, but personally I don't fear them in the playoffs. They should fear us.
Here's my simple, Sega Genesis, EA Hockey 91-style breakdown:

Goaltending tandem: WASH - they have a pair of excellent ones, so do we

Defense: WASH - they have a top rated defense, we have a top rated defense

Leadership: WASH - they have Backes, we have Brown

Young Top Offensive Defenseman: WASH - they have Pieterangelo, we have Doughty

Hitting: KINGS - as a team, we're much more rugged and have the initiative to take the body

Depth: KINGS - right now we have players and chemistry on every single line, 1st through 5th lines while our defense and goaltending evenly match with St. Louis.

Centers and Forwards: KINGS - We have Kopitar, they have...
Centers and Forwards: KINGS - We have Carter, they have...
Centers and Forwards: KINGS - We have Richards, they have...
They have some good forwards like Oshie but none as good as these guys.

We match up very well/evenly with the Blues until you get to these three guys on the Kings. That's my take on it. In a seven game series if one of these three steps up every night, we win. If two or more step up, forget it. They may get lucky once in while with their vertical game, throwing the pucks forward constantly but after seven games, things will be where they should. I believe we also should be ahead of the Blues in face-offs as well.

Personally I think St. Louis was fortunate in getting 1 point from us last night. We probably should have beaten them 1 or 2 to 0 in regulation. I don't care about the teams' records for the season because it's obvious we're a different team with Penner/Stoll healthy and with Carter in the lineup, and with a "rejuvenated" Brown and Kopitar.

I don't know if we can win the Cup with this team...I still think we're maybe missing one more player. But I finally feel we can do some real damage.

That's my take on it. I could be totally wrong with the above analysis so what's you guys' takes?

- R
.><.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:18 AM
Mats26
Cup Champs

The only team to fear is the LA KINGS prior to the Carter trade.

Mats26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:28 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Can't think about the East, if you are thinking about the East right now you are (1) dreaming or (2) drugging.

The Kings have yet to even clinch a playoff position. Sure, they are hot, but they needed to win six in a row just to be still 2 points out of the playoffs.

Talking about the playoffs is way premature right now, but I'll bite, just in case we are able to maintain this great end-of-the-season run.

I agree with Daryl Evans in that we don't want to see Detroit early on (too much damn experience) nor do we want to see St. Louis (can't see either team making it past the second round after an epic battle of a playoff series that emulates the last couple of games between these teams).

I don't agree that Nashville would be as tough as an out as Daryl thinks (at least for the Kings). We have really owned Nashville this year (should have won them all, really), and they are not playing well of late. Getting Radulov out of the KHL for their playoff run won't make that much of a difference, IMO.

Would love to see Nashville/Detroit first round matchup. Hope Chicago doesn't muck it up with their recent good play.

Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:38 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Nashville and St. Louis. I think St Louis has better depth. They didn't have Steen or McDonald last night. Nashville is crazy deep. We play bad in both of their arenas.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:46 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Anyone....anywhere. Don't fear any team...the Kings are red hot right now.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:04 PM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

After being at the game last night, STL is the only team in the west that truly scares me. They are huge, physical, deep, disciplined, and were by far the most impressive team I've seen live this year.

Even if we beat them in a long series, I don't think there would be anything left because of the battle that series would be.

Morale of the story; get the division and not the #8 seed.

Seventyx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:05 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats26 View Post
The only team to fear is the LA KINGS prior to the Carter trade.
This.

Post-Carter trade the Kings are unreal, scoring regularly (outside of last night, which they still won) and the defense is holding just as well as before.

So we should only fear ourselves.

in playing with the spirit the OP brought though, I'd say we should fear the Preds, Hawks and Sharks the most. The Preds are just a very good team top to bottom and are built pretty much the same way we are, just we have a little more star power on the forward ranks. They hav been much more consistent than us though, especially in the second half and are a legit Cup threat in my books.

Chicago because if there's any team that can hot, it's them. They've been streaky all year, but when theya re on, they are really on and the have the players who have gone through a cup run before. If they get goaltending, they can do some serious damage.

San Jose simply because they are the Sharks, and they are underachiving this year noticably. If we play them, they WILL get up for us, and we shouldn't ignore what playing for your own pride does to players. After this season, if they sneak into the playoffs San Jose will definately be playing for their pride.

kingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:06 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventyx7 View Post
After being at the game last night, STL is the only team in the west that truly scares me. They are huge, physical, deep, disciplined, and were by far the most impressive team I've seen live this year.

Even if we beat them in a long series, I don't think there would be anything left because of the battle that series would be.

Morale of the story; get the division and not the #8 seed.
I agree with you, but St. Louis is dynamite at home, so-so on the road, just like Detroit. I think if you win one of the first two games against St. Louis, they could fall apart.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:15 PM
goosh
TwoForRoughing

It depends. I'd gladly face the Hawks (with home ice) as long as they don't have Toews.

The two teams I really wouldn't want to face would be St. Louis, Nashville, and especially Detroit. Anyone else I'm fine with.

goosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:17 PM
coolhandluke2410
"BleedBlue44"

Send a message via AIM to coolhandluke2410 Send a message via Yahoo to coolhandluke2410
I fear a first round match up with the Kings.. would be tough. Steen and Dagostini were just cleared for contact.. should be in the lineup soon, and McDonald will be ready for the playoffs. Even with that said.. I still hope you guys win the Pacific. good luck!

coolhandluke2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:22 PM
Capn Brown

Ourselves? Seriously, the only team that can beat the Kings right now is themselves.

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
I'm sure it's on everyone's mind who we might match up against, if/when we make it in. Right now obviously it looks like not only will we be
No, it's really not on my mind.

Just STAY in the POs - I don't care who we would play.

Right now I wish the season ended today so the Kings could win the Pacific.

Butch 19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:38 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
I only fear the return of the terrible defensive play of the Kings the past 2 playoff series. If the Kings continue to play the same way post-Carter, they would give any team in the NHL trouble in a 7 game series.

Pittsburgh is the only team that truly scares me. Crosby and Malkin playing at peak level is scary for anyone to face. I don't see any team beating Pittsburgh if they are playing at their best.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:38 PM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

vCash: 69
I fear StL and Gnashville

Bad Will Hunting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:40 PM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

Call me crazy but Nashville doesn't scare me too much. We are similar teams (defense first), but we have the better top end talent at forward, and I find Rinne to be slightly overrated.

I would rather play the Preds than Chicago with Toews or Detroit with Lidstrom

Seventyx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:45 PM
Brad Doty
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventyx7 View Post
Call me crazy but Nashville doesn't scare me too much. We are similar teams (defense first), but we have the better top end talent at forward, and I find Rinne to be slightly overrated.

I would rather play the Preds than Chicago with Toews or Detroit with Lidstrom
Nope, and we've fared incredibly well vs. Nashville this year. I think it would be a good series. In fact, the only scary part is you may have to sit Quick for that series

St. Louis scares me; I think it would be a very evenly played series, but it would be draining even if we scraped out a victory.

For the rest of the top, Detroit being healthy scares me. Vancouver always has meltdown potential, but they're still a bit scary.

Keep us far, far away from Colorado, please. At least this year.

Anyone else, I think is a good series, but if the Kings are playing and firing on all cylinders like they are now, there's no one to really FEAR. Respect, sure, but not be afraid of.

Brad Doty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:48 PM
Ollie Weeks

St. Louis and Detroit. We've needed to be picture perfect against these teams lately to win, and Detroit was pretty banged up at the time. Vancouver, Chicago, Nashville, we've played them pretty even all season, if not better.

Ollie Weeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:57 PM
lumbergh

The Pittsburgh Penguins.

lumbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:13 PM
King Richards
Dry Island II

I'll take anybody but Detroit.

King Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:18 PM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

vCash: 1015
no villain but complacency

oh and jarret stoll

drugold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:30 PM
TheSlovenian

If the Kings keep playing like they do, I believe in them making the playoffs, finishing 3rd and wining the first oponent

TheSlovenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:30 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

the injury bug

I Am Ziggy Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:50 PM
redcard

I wouldn't want to play Detroit or Colorado, but my confidence in this team is sky high right now. If we keep this play up we can beat anybody.

redcard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 02:10 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

I hope at some point we get to face Vancouver (preferably in round two as I'd like to win a division) or San Jose. It's been about 12 years since the Kings could say they had any sort of a legit playoff rivalry, and that's only if you count the Avs as a playoff rival because we played them two straight years. Even then, at that time we were an after thought in terms of a rival for Colorado since that was the height of the Wings/Avs battles. Two great series with Colorado though to be sure.

It'd be nice to have a rival, like NJ-NYR, or Chic-Van have now. I want to hate the other team, and not because their fans are whiny *****es either. I want that intensity, anger, rough and tough hockey that only a playoff rivalry can bring. I also want that smug satisfaction that comes from us beating that team.

Sign me up for Vancouver, I want to face them, I want to see us knock of the defending West champs, and make Burrows cry again. We can pack the stands with 2 Girls No Cup t-shirts. Love it.

Old
03-23-2012, 02:16 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Colorado

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote