HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > Mock Drafts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mock Drafts Mock drafts for fun and fantasy here.

Kulemon's Top 15 Mock Draft

Old
05-12-2012, 11:52 AM
Kulemon

vCash: 500
Kulemon's Top 15 Mock Draft

1. Edmonton Oilers - Nail Yakupov RW
2. Columbus Blue Jackets - Ryan Murray D
3. Montreal Canadiens - Alex Galchenyuk C
4. New York Islanders - Filip Forsberg LW
5. Toronto Maple Leafs - Mikhail Grigorenko C
6. Anaheim Ducks - Matt Dumba D
7. Minnesota Wild - Teuvo Teravainen LW
8. Carolina Hurricanes - Radek Faksa C
9. Winnipeg Jets - Jacob Trouba D
10. . Tampa Bay Lightning - Morgan Rielly D
11. Washington Capitals - Griffin Reinhart D
12. Buffalo Sabres - Olli Maatta D
13. Dallas Stars - Brendan Gaunce C
14. Calgary Flames - Sebastien Collberg RW
15. Ottawa Senators - Cody Ceci D

Pick Explanations of Top 10:

1. Oilers take the consensus number one pick. Yakupov is the surest bet to be a star. Oilers probably will be back picking bottom 10 again and should get a good D next year.

Comparable: Ilya Kovalchuk

2. Columbus takes the best D available. Future captain and should be atleast a top pairing D, maybe a number 1. Can step in right away. I think they make a decision between Murray and Forsberg here but they really need a sure bet right now.

Comparable: Scott Niedermyer

3. Montreal takes the skilled two way center. His knee should be fine now but he needs atleast another year in junior. They think about Grigorenko here but they prefer Galchenyuk's style.

Comparable: Anze Kopitar

4. The Isles are very happy to take Forsberg here. Hes one of the youngest players in the draft and I think he could fill out to 6'3 200lb. I think he would be the perfect winger for Tavares. Potential captain too.

Comparable: Mats Sundin

5. Burke and the Leafs check to make sure they are still awake. Take the BPA. Grigorenko is a perfect fit for the leafs being a big playmaking center. He was ranked either number 1 or 2 all season but questions arised after he injured his ankle about his compete level and looking lazy but those questions could have arised because of his mono although no one knows how long he has been playing through it.

Comparable: Evgeni Malkin

6. Ducks pick the best defenseman available in Dumba. He brings character, grit, and a high energy two way game. Future captain too. They consider Trouba and Teravainen here.

Comparable: PK Subban

7. If anyone's going to take a chance on drafting Teravainen this high it's the wild in my opinion. They love their Fins. Koivu is their leader and best player. Granlund should step in the NHL soon and hopefully be great. Teravainen has real potential and I think the Wild welcome him with open arms. They also consider Rielly here.

Comparable: Jeff Skinner

8. Carolina sticks with their Kitchener Rangers trend. He's one of my favourite players in the draft. He's a big (6'3) two way center. Fantastic defensively and has a lot of underrated talent offensively. He should be a great second line center behind Staal. Needs another year in junior to fully develop his offensive game.

Comparable: Tomas Plekanec

9. Jets pick smooth skating Jacob Trouba. Excellent skater, physical, and moves the puck well. He's primarily a defensive defenseman but I could see him getting 25-30 points regularly in the NHL.

Comparable: Brent Seabrook

10. Lightning take the BPA and pick Morgan Rielly. If it wasn't for his injury he probably should have gone top 5-6. Fantastic skater. Great offensive instincts. Scouts think he could become the next Karlsson. There isn't any question about this pick. Tampa really needs this kind of player in their system.

Comparable: Erik Karlsson

11. Washington takes the BPA. Reinhart is probably the most underrated player in this draft in my opinion. He's got size and a great two way game.

Comparable: Gary Suter

12. Buffalo picks the rising Finn defenseman. Maatta had a mediocre regular season with the nights but turned it on in the playoffs. His potential certainly started to shine. They could go Matt Finn or Brendan Gaunce here too.

Comparable: Oliver Ekman-Larsson

13. Dallas picks a great kid that oozes character and leadership. He's got some skill. I don't see any high end talent like those ahead of him though and he needs to work on his skating if he wants to be a second line center in the NHL.

Comparable: Ryan O'reilly

14. Calgary Flames pick the small speedy and skilled winger from Sweden. He had 0 points in the SEL this season in 40 games but lit it up in tournaments. Has solid second line scorer upside in my opinion. He also reminds me of Jeff Skinner (I know I used this comparison already).

15. Ottawa takes the home town boy. Ceci doesn't have the upside as the other elite defenders in this draft in my opinion but is a relatively safer pick possibly. I'll be honest, I'm not too high on him. I doubt he will be more than a 4-5 defenseman on a winning team. He could prove me wrong though. I can't see it happening, but I think Ottawa should take Matt Finn here instead.

Comparable: Pilip Kuba

KEEP IN MIND. COMPARISONS ARE PLAYSTYLES ONLY.

Last edited by Kulemon: 05-15-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 12:04 PM
Evgeni Giroux

Leafs fan with a Grigorenko Avatar has Grigs falling to 5th, hahaha

Evgeni Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeni Giroux View Post
Leafs fan with a Grigorenko Avatar has Grigs falling to 5th, hahaha
The only other team that would probably pick Grigorenko is Montreal. Their fans and apparently their head scout prefers Galchenyuk. Im not the only one that sees him potentially falling to 5. I don't see what your problem is.

Old
05-12-2012, 01:55 PM
HarveySpecter

I can see Grigs being the player that falls further than anyone expects such as fowler/gormley/couturier in previous years.

HarveySpecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 02:45 PM
grits207

Works out perfectly for Toronto, no complaints from me.

grits207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 02:50 PM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

vCash: 69
Lol I saw the thread title and knew immediately where Grigorenko would be drafted.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Lol I saw the thread title and knew immediately where Grigorenko would be drafted.
Okay... well what do you think about the rest of it?

Old
05-12-2012, 07:34 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Those comparisons are awful. I'm sorry, but you're vastly overrating every single player (outside of Yakupov and maybe Murray).

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 09:27 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Those comparisons are awful. I'm sorry, but you're vastly overrating every single player (outside of Yakupov and maybe Murray).
Play styles....not potential.

Old
05-13-2012, 02:42 PM
Tiger Svoboda

I think this mock is pretty good. I think grig will fall to 5. Good job.

Tiger Svoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 02:57 PM
duli12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
1. Edmonton Oilers - Nail Yakupov RW
2. Columbus Blue Jackets - Ryan Murray D
3. Montreal Canadiens - Alex Galchenyuk C
4. New York Islanders - Filip Forsberg LW
5. Toronto Maple Leafs - Mikhail Grigorenko C
6. Anaheim Ducks - Matt Dumba D
7. Minnesota Wild - Teuvo Teravainen LW
8. Carolina Hurricanes - Radek Faksa C
9. Winnipeg Jets - Jacob Trouba D
10. . Tampa Bay Lightning - Morgan Rielly D
11. Washington Capitals - Griffin Reinhart D
12. Buffalo Sabres - Olli Maatta D
13. Dallas Stars - Brendan Gaunce C
14. Calgary Flames - Sebastien Collberg RW
15. Ottawa Senators - Cody Ceci D

Pick Explanations of Top 10:

1. Oilers take the consensus number one pick. Yakupov is the surest bet to be a star. Oilers probably will be back picking bottom 10 again and should get a good D next year.

Comparable: Ilya Kovalchuk

2. Columbus takes the best D available. Future captain and should be atleast a top pairing D, maybe a number 1. Can step in right away. I think they make a decision between Murray and Forsberg here but they really need a sure bet right now.

Comparable: Scott Niedermyer

3. Montreal takes the skilled two way center. His knee should be fine now but he needs atleast another year in junior. They think about Grigorenko here but they prefer Galchenyuk's style.

Comparable: Anze Kopitar

4. The Isles are very happy to take Forsberg here. Hes one of the youngest players in the draft and I think he could fill out to 6'3 200lb. I think he would be the perfect winger for Tavares. Potential captain too.

Comparable: Mats Sundin

5. Burke and the Leafs check to make sure they are still awake. Take the BPA. Grigorenko is a perfect fit for the leafs being a big playmaking center. He was ranked either number 1 or 2 all season but questions arised after he injured his ankle about his compete level and looking lazy but those questions could have arised because of his mono although no one knows how long he has been playing through it.

Comparable: Evgeni Malkin

6. Ducks pick the best defenseman available in Dumba. He brings character, grit, and a high energy two way game. Future captain too. They consider Trouba and Teravainen here.

Comparable: PK Subban

7. If anyone's going to take a chance on drafting Teravainen this high it's the wild in my opinion. They love their Fins. Koivu is their leader and best player. Granlund should step in the NHL soon and hopefully be great. Teravainen has real potential and I think the Wild welcome him with open arms. They also consider Rielly here.

8. Carolina sticks with their Kitchener Rangers trend. He's one of my favourite players in the draft. He's a big (6'3) two way center. Fantastic defensively and has a lot of underrated talent offensively. He should be a great second line center behind Staal. Needs another year in junior to fully develop his offensive game.

Comparable: Tomas Plekanec

9. Jets pick smooth skating Jacob Trouba. Excellent skater, physical, and moves the puck well. He's primarily a defensive defenseman but I could see him getting 25-30 points regularly in the NHL.

Comparable: Brent Seabrook

10. Lightning take the BPA and pick Morgan Rielly. If it wasn't for his injury he probably should have gone top 5-6. Fantastic skater. Great offensive instincts. Scouts think he could become the next Karlsson. There isn't any question about this pick. Tampa really needs this kind of player in their system.

Comparable: Erik Karlsson
Galchunyuk and Dumba are the ONLY comparables I kinda agree with and can see materializing. Rest are brutal overrating IMO.

Yakupov is 5-10 170 lb, Kovy 6-2 235, and even from sniping point of view Kovalcheuk was more prolific and heralded as an 18 year old coming into the league.

Murray does not have close to Neids offensive awareness

Greco does not even look like Malkin at the QMJHL level

Rielly isn't even close to Karlsson speed/quickness let alone decision making and passing and shot etc. He is also injury prone and has not shown the ability to play huge minutes. Karlsson plays 25 mins a night in the NHL and is only 3 years older.

duli12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

guys its playing style ... not potential rating

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 06:20 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
guys its playing style ... not potential rating
I had to update my post lol.

Old
05-13-2012, 08:09 PM
Cam98

Quote:
Originally Posted by duli12345 View Post
Galchunyuk and Dumba are the ONLY comparables I kinda agree with and can see materializing. Rest are brutal overrating IMO.

Yakupov is 5-10 170 lb, Kovy 6-2 235, and even from sniping point of view Kovalcheuk was more prolific and heralded as an 18 year old coming into the league.

Murray does not have close to Neids offensive awareness

Greco does not even look like Malkin at the QMJHL level

Rielly isn't even close to Karlsson speed/quickness let alone decision making and passing and shot etc. He is also injury prone and has not shown the ability to play huge minutes. Karlsson plays 25 mins a night in the NHL and is only 3 years older.
yakupov is 190 lbs.

Cam98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:19 PM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

Quote:
Okay... well what do you think about the rest of it?
Other than the comparisons I can't see much wrong with it other than it's too vanilla and it's not how the draft will likely play out.

Old
05-14-2012, 01:57 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Other than the comparisons I can't see much wrong with it other than it's too vanilla and it's not how the draft will likely play out.
so basically everything is wrong with it?

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:05 PM
bigfatfist

Appreciate the effort that went into it!

1. I'd be both shocked and (pleasantly) surprised if Ceci fell to the Sens at #15

2. Watching Grigerenko play reminds me of nothing of Malkin. I don't mean to pile on to the 'comparisons' critique - but I don't see that similarity in style.

bigfatfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:15 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatfist View Post
Appreciate the effort that went into it!

1. I'd be both shocked and (pleasantly) surprised if Ceci fell to the Sens at #15

2. Watching Grigerenko play reminds me of nothing of Malkin. I don't mean to pile on to the 'comparisons' critique - but I don't see that similarity in style.
I'm not too high in Ceci. I don't see that high of an upside.

Old
05-14-2012, 05:17 PM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
so basically everything is wrong with it?
Lol yes. That's exactly what I meant. Because it's completely logical and makes sense to pretty much every team it's garbage.

No. I'm just saying the draft never goes the way it's logically expected to.

Old
05-14-2012, 07:39 PM
KarlssonMarx
Be Red

Pretty good I think, but that may just be because I'm a Sens fan and I want Ceci. How come you didn't give explanations for the last 5 picks?

KarlssonMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 09:53 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieDavidThoreau View Post
Pretty good I think, but that may just be because I'm a Sens fan and I want Ceci. How come you didn't give explanations for the last 5 picks?
If you want them I'll add them. Or you can just ask specifically what pick you want me to explain and I will.

Old
05-15-2012, 10:07 AM
KarlssonMarx
Be Red

Quote:
If you want them I'll add them. Or you can just ask specifically what pick you want me to explain and I will.
I don't want to make you do a bunch of extra work, but if you feel like it or it's really quick I wouldn't mind hearing all of them.

KarlssonMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 12:54 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Lol yes. That's exactly what I meant. Because it's completely logical and makes sense to pretty much every team it's garbage.

No. I'm just saying the draft never goes the way it's logically expected to.
I love how you go around ******** on everyone elses mock draft, when yours is clearly the worst one here.

@OP looks good to me. Grigs/Galchenyuk is too close to call IMO, but I have heard similar things from Habs fans as well.

I'd be equally happy with any one of Grigs/Galchy/Forsberg/Murray. 2-5 IMO is a wash this year.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 04:10 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieDavidThoreau View Post
I don't want to make you do a bunch of extra work, but if you feel like it or it's really quick I wouldn't mind hearing all of them.
Alright it's done.

Old
05-15-2012, 08:36 PM
bigfatfist

Quote:
I'm not too high in Ceci. I don't see that high of an upside.
Interesting. Can you elaborate?

The thing that I love about Ceci is that all the tools are there. Two years ago he was great for the 67s playing really good shutdown hockey. They asked him this year to contribute more offensively, so he went out and did it. In my mind, this is a big guy who skates and passes well and has abilities at both ends. I think he's shown a great willingness to adapt and as he gets coached up will likely become a really solid 2nd pairing 2-way D in the league.

I don't put him as high as some mock drafts (scouting lists), but I think he'd be GREAT value at #15 for any team.

bigfatfist is offline   Reply With Quote