HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Inline thigh pads?

Old
03-26-2012, 04:52 PM
zeeto

vCash: 500
Inline thigh pads?

I'm going to be playing in a roller hockey league this summer, and I've never played "organized" roller hockey. The league is requiring shin/leg pads, and although I have my ice hockey pants it seems like those are going to be overkill. I was planning to just wear a pair of track pants, with my shin guards, and some sort of thigh/hip/butt pad underneath. Do inline pants have upper legs pads? or are they just a beefed up track pant?

zeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 05:11 PM
Ozz

Most inline pants are simply shells. People either go without thigh/hip padding or get a girdle to wear underneath.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 05:13 PM
theFinn

I don't know anything about inline equipment specifically but I'd guess you get a girdle and shin pads to go under the inline pants. The girdle has the thigh/butt protection and is less bulky then standard hockey pants.

theFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 05:59 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeto View Post
I'm going to be playing in a roller hockey league this summer, and I've never played "organized" roller hockey. The league is requiring shin/leg pads, and although I have my ice hockey pants it seems like those are going to be overkill. I was planning to just wear a pair of track pants, with my shin guards, and some sort of thigh/hip/butt pad underneath. Do inline pants have upper legs pads? or are they just a beefed up track pant?
The first time you fall in track pants, they'll probably be shredded. Roller hockey pants are made of ballistic nylon and are a LOT more durable than track pants. Some players wear a girdle (the kind that can also be used for ice) or a padded jock underneath.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 02:07 AM
izzy3

The inline pants don't have any padding, but as hockeymass said they're going to last you a season at least, while track pants will be torn up after a few falls.

I don't know how you played so far, but a casual game in the park is far less intense than an organized game. Meaning, even if there is no contact officially, you will have to hold your ground, and you might be more prone to fall. If you're not so solid on your skates I'd get that girdle. Hell, I fall only a few times/year playing inline, still have that girdle. They're light, and usually have pretty good ventilation.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 03:18 AM
markisonfire

Californian here, lots of roller hockey. Most players I see wear something like the Alkali CA9 Girdle that has a few pads to prevent bruising from shots to the thigh. This model is like a compression short and has a girdle in it. Another option would be something like the Mission Thorax Girdle that, as you can see, has much more padding. You could also consider wearing an actual ice shell like this Easton Shell, but if you are going to do that, I'd suggest getting actual roller hockey pants. Something like these or these.

Good luck with roller, I hope you enjoy it!

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 07:55 AM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by markisonfire View Post
Another option would be something like the Mission Thorax Girdle that, as you can see, has much more padding.
That's the one I've got. Very light and I don't even notice it's on. I bought it because I needed something that covered at least part of my inner quad, as I caught a slapper directly into it during one game and had a painful, aching bruise for weeks.

I got it used for about 30% of the retail cost, but even still I didn't find many that were cheaper or equal in price which had the padding in that specific place (inner quad). I recommend it, and would've paid full price for one if I didn't get lucky finding it used.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote