HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Leaf Fans Version of the "Are We There Yet" Whine

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-27-2012, 08:42 AM
  #76
Leafsman
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Exactly. Look at the top teams in the East and they are all up and coming rosters with still some great young players on the roster and more on the way. It's not like the league is going to stand still while the Leafs get better.
On the way from where? We have a better ranked prospect pool and according to you there is no talent and it's no better off that it was a few years ago? By that logic, it woudl mean our prospect pool didn't get better, most other one's just got incredibly worse!

Leafsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 08:48 AM
  #77
weems
Registered User
 
weems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsman View Post
I'm not quite sure how it doesn't make sense? Many whine nation members woudl have us believe that our prospect pool is bare and there is no hope for the future! We'd be lucky to comb through and fill half a 4th line according ot some!

If that's the case then I feel sorry for the 22 teams behind! I'd check out some of the ages you listed as some of those vancouver players are not all that young!

They do have young established stars? but unless that is all they are going to play then they're most certainly in trouble. If we have a better prospect pool yet can't fillout a thirdline what are they going to do to support those players??? You've listed 4 or so players for those teams! They are going to have to fill out a whole bunchof roster spots with free agents or anything other than their draftees. I mean if we can't fillout a thrid line what teh heck are they going to do?
Most "whine nation" fans as you call them will admit that the prospect pool has improved but what most of them say is that its still lacking that elite top level talents. Just because we have a better farm then many other teams doesnt mean we are destined to overtake them in the future. The Rangers are leading the conference and they're doing it with guys like MDZ, Staal, McDONAUGH, Callahan, Stepan and Hagelin. They have good prospects in the system like Kreider, Mciillrath, JT Miller, Thomas, Fasth. The Bruins have good prospects, The Sens have good prospects (#2), The Panthers have good prospects (#1). Most of the teams in front of us either have a good collection of established young players or a very high ranked farm. Burke has done some nice things like I have always claimed but I certainly expected him to have done more thru 3 full years then just improve the prospect pool (which still lacks elite talent).

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 09:02 AM
  #78
burke4life
Registered User
 
burke4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew75 View Post
Hey .. if you want to read some negativity, you have 90% of the threads these days to choose from ... I like to share some of the positives that I see from time to time for those who, like myself, can see something good starting to form here.

Unfortunately, as I like to back up my points with reasoning, etc - it can get a little long. sorry about that.

Also - no, I actually work for a Bank as a Business Architect ... and some times I need I break to focus on something other than work
i would like to shake this guys hand! always love his posts.

burke4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 09:06 AM
  #79
Drew75
Registered User
 
Drew75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,036
vCash: 500
In My Defense

Wow – this has gotten kind of personal, lol. Let me explain myself for the offended parties.

Firstly – I do apologize to anyone who is offended by my use of the term “Whiners”. I generally try to avoid any type of attack on these boards, and it was used out of frustration.

I can understand people being frustrated with the Leafs, as although I am an optimist, I do care about the team, I do desire its success, and its just as frustrating for us optimists watching other teams play meaningful games in the Spring.

I do not, however, blame the current management for the failures of past regimes, and I do see an organization that is doing many of the things I’ve wanted to see for a long, long time. We can’t change the past, but only assess the present, and seek signs of what is to come in the future.

For background – no, I do not work for the Leafs (although I’d love to, of course, lol) grew up with a passion for the game, but not nearly enough talent to play at any level beyond my High School team. My youthful aspirations were to become a coach, and so I read everything I could get my hands on, analyzed plays, had a notebook where I developed systems, etc. Growing up one of my best friends was a goalie, and played 11 seasons in the NHL. During his younger, junior, and even minor league days, he and I would spend hours breaking down games together. I spent a lot of time around other guys who played in the NHL (who I met through my friend), talking the finer points of the game. My point here is that I am not a casual fan who bases all my opinions on what I read online – but I am also in no way suggesting that I know more or less than anyone else on these boards.

As to my “expectations” – well I will admit they have changed slightly. I was hoping for an earlier turn around, but I think it was sometime last year that even Burke said it was taking longer than expected. The league has changed, trades are harder to make, and the UFA Market has gotten nuts. As of last year, my expectations were to squeak into the playoffs this year, and make it assuredly next year. Well that doesn’t change – just because we didn’t make it this year – I still expect the same progress to be made for next year. As I’ve stated, if we don’t make it again, then I will concede.

And yes Stephen – I had hopes for Stalberg, Tlusty, Bozak, and Hanson. Hanson didn’t develop his physical play like I had hoped, but the other 3 are all making solid contributions to their respective teams. I would say 3 out of 4 isn’t bad.

As to my frustration which led me to use the term “whiners” – well, I enjoy these boards, and I love debating hockey. These boards lately, however, have seem to become a dumping ground of negativity. I don’t mean to offend by using the term “whiners”, just I’m sure you don’t when you call optimists “Burke Apologists” among other things.

I have no problem with people fed up with the organization – and I love people having a different view point – as that is the basis of a good discussion. The problem I have is the complete and baseless negativity of people who position their arguments as though every single thing about the organization is crap, and every single move Burke has made is garbage. I find myself writing more positively than I feel in compensation of the huge amount of negativity.

I have never actually seen (although it may have happened) an optimist state that they agree with EVERY move Burke has made. I don’t. I will admit we lost the Kessel trade, but to see all the posts making it out like we traded the 2nd overall pick for a 36 year old plug is silly. When we read post after post where now people are actually claiming that Brett Lebda and Robert Slaney are better assets than Franson and Lombardi, I have to just shake my head. I read posts from people who complain about contracts like they are personally paying for them, and then see the same people suggest Burke should be fired for not signing 12 year deals that would see us with a $6million cap hit well past the player’s prime. When people are saying the Team with Stajan and Antropov as our top players is better than one with Kessel and Lupul – I just don’t know what to say. There are so many negative arguments that don't seem to based on anything other than an opportunity to bash Burke or the team.

You don’t have to like Burke. You can complain all you want about a sentence he said 3.5 years ago. You may not like the way the organization is going – and that’s cool. But all I’m asking is can we at least get back to reasonable discussions? Sure the team has needs. Sure there is a ways to go, but are the people who are calling for Burkes head really saying that NOTHING has improved in the past 3 years? That there has not been a single good move? I've heard how the Prospect pool hasn't improved, the organization hasn't improved, the Marlies season means nothing, and the talent of the Team is worse. Seriously???

Drew75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 09:09 AM
  #80
Leafsman
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Most "whine nation" fans as you call them will admit that the prospect pool has improved but what most of them say is that its still lacking that elite top level talents. Just because we have a better farm then many other teams doesnt mean we are destined to overtake them in the future. The Rangers are leading the conference and they're doing it with guys like MDZ, Staal, McDONAUGH, Callahan, Stepan and Hagelin. They have good prospects in the system like Kreider, Mciillrath, JT Miller, Thomas, Fasth. The Bruins have good prospects, The Sens have good prospects (#2), The Panthers have good prospects (#1). Most of the teams in front of us either have a good collection of established young players or a very high ranked farm. Burke has done some nice things like I have always claimed but I certainly expected him to have done more thru 3 full years then just improve the prospect pool (which still lacks elite talent).
I would suggest that a good number of them wouldn't admit that.

I also agree with you as you make very good points.

My point is how would another GM have changed that???????

Another GM couldn't have come in and made other team's rosters worse? Another GM wouldn't have come in and magically made more elite prospects available??

The only strike to Burke is the Kessel/Seguin trade other than that he has done nothing but improve this club through trades! He has focused a good majority of trades on obtaining youth and making the prospect pool better which is what we all wanted.

Burke has traded for great young talent, worked hard at signing all available free agent young talent. The only strike is he hasn't gotten into the draft high enough to get the Elite superstar talent. However, one can not fault him because even if he didn't make the Kessel/Seguin trade no one can say we woudl have been in any better draft position. Either Kessel is a difference maker and played so that we moved out of good drafting positions which makes him a player worth trading for or he is not a difference maker and Burke would've had to draft the same anyway.

All I'm saying is that I don't imagine another GM could have come in and done any better! Granted they likely would've kept Seguin but they wouldn't have made the Phanuef trade or the Lupul/Gardiner trade. SO woudl we be anybetter off?

Leafsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 09:25 AM
  #82
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Well, I see nothing wrong with calling the OP delusional. He's been singing this tune for years, and his last Nostradamus prediction called for us to be contenders in 2011-12, which I quoted for you. So if certain fans want to be positive, fine. Just don't think you're actually looking at facts. I bet the moment Burke is fired a lot of apologists will be decrying Burke's tenure.
That's were you're wrong, a person that has a different opinion than you doesn't make him delusional because you said so. He never pointed the finger at anyone specifically yet here you are doing that to him.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 09:47 AM
  #83
Frankie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew75 View Post
I do not, however, blame the current management for the failures of past regimes
i don't imagine anyone does. but, the current regime certainly takes on burden of the history of the team when it agrees to take over the organization.

funny though, past regimes are still getting the blame for the mess the current regime is in.

but its really not about regimes. its not about brian burke. its about the maple leafs. we were all here before burke, and we'll all be here long after he's gone. its not all about him.

Quote:
And yes Stephen – I had hopes for Stalberg, Tlusty, Bozak, and Hanson. Hanson didn’t develop his physical play like I had hoped, but the other 3 are all making solid contributions to their respective teams. I would say 3 out of 4 isn’t bad.
3 out of 4 isn't bad at all. so, what did this success actually bring us? how did these guys help our team?

Quote:
The problem I have is the complete and baseless negativity of people who position their arguments as though every single thing about the organization is crap, and every single move Burke has made is garbage.
i haven't read where anyone said this. i think you're making this up to suit your agenda.

Quote:
I will admit we lost the Kessel trade, but to see all the posts making it out like we traded the 2nd overall pick for a 36 year old plug is silly.
again, i don't think anyone has called kessel a 36 year old plug, or made him out to be that. i think you're creating this in your own mind again. if someone has said this, please show us where.

Quote:
I read posts from people who complain about contracts like they are personally paying for them
i also see people praise the "bargains" we have on the team. as if they're the people actually saving money. should we not care or comment at all on how much a player makes? in a salary cap world, it makes a difference.

Quote:
When people are saying the Team with Stajan and Antropov as our top players is better than one with Kessel and Lupul – I just don’t know what to say. There are so many negative arguments that don't seem to based on anything other than an opportunity to bash Burke or the team.
when people say this, its not based on nothing. its based on the nhl standings. the same standings the nhl bases its playoffs and draft system on.

what's your statement based on? strictly your opinion, and the opportunity to praise burke.

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 10:01 AM
  #84
burke4life
Registered User
 
burke4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew75 View Post
Wow – this has gotten kind of personal, lol. Let me explain myself for the offended parties.

Firstly – I do apologize to anyone who is offended by my use of the term “Whiners”. I generally try to avoid any type of attack on these boards, and it was used out of frustration.

I can understand people being frustrated with the Leafs, as although I am an optimist, I do care about the team, I do desire its success, and its just as frustrating for us optimists watching other teams play meaningful games in the Spring.

I do not, however, blame the current management for the failures of past regimes, and I do see an organization that is doing many of the things I’ve wanted to see for a long, long time. We can’t change the past, but only assess the present, and seek signs of what is to come in the future.

For background – no, I do not work for the Leafs (although I’d love to, of course, lol) grew up with a passion for the game, but not nearly enough talent to play at any level beyond my High School team. My youthful aspirations were to become a coach, and so I read everything I could get my hands on, analyzed plays, had a notebook where I developed systems, etc. Growing up one of my best friends was a goalie, and played 11 seasons in the NHL. During his younger, junior, and even minor league days, he and I would spend hours breaking down games together. I spent a lot of time around other guys who played in the NHL (who I met through my friend), talking the finer points of the game. My point here is that I am not a casual fan who bases all my opinions on what I read online – but I am also in no way suggesting that I know more or less than anyone else on these boards.

As to my “expectations” – well I will admit they have changed slightly. I was hoping for an earlier turn around, but I think it was sometime last year that even Burke said it was taking longer than expected. The league has changed, trades are harder to make, and the UFA Market has gotten nuts. As of last year, my expectations were to squeak into the playoffs this year, and make it assuredly next year. Well that doesn’t change – just because we didn’t make it this year – I still expect the same progress to be made for next year. As I’ve stated, if we don’t make it again, then I will concede.

And yes Stephen – I had hopes for Stalberg, Tlusty, Bozak, and Hanson. Hanson didn’t develop his physical play like I had hoped, but the other 3 are all making solid contributions to their respective teams. I would say 3 out of 4 isn’t bad.

As to my frustration which led me to use the term “whiners” – well, I enjoy these boards, and I love debating hockey. These boards lately, however, have seem to become a dumping ground of negativity. I don’t mean to offend by using the term “whiners”, just I’m sure you don’t when you call optimists “Burke Apologists” among other things.

I have no problem with people fed up with the organization – and I love people having a different view point – as that is the basis of a good discussion. The problem I have is the complete and baseless negativity of people who position their arguments as though every single thing about the organization is crap, and every single move Burke has made is garbage. I find myself writing more positively than I feel in compensation of the huge amount of negativity.

I have never actually seen (although it may have happened) an optimist state that they agree with EVERY move Burke has made. I don’t. I will admit we lost the Kessel trade, but to see all the posts making it out like we traded the 2nd overall pick for a 36 year old plug is silly. When we read post after post where now people are actually claiming that Brett Lebda and Robert Slaney are better assets than Franson and Lombardi, I have to just shake my head. I read posts from people who complain about contracts like they are personally paying for them, and then see the same people suggest Burke should be fired for not signing 12 year deals that would see us with a $6million cap hit well past the player’s prime. When people are saying the Team with Stajan and Antropov as our top players is better than one with Kessel and Lupul – I just don’t know what to say. There are so many negative arguments that don't seem to based on anything other than an opportunity to bash Burke or the team.

You don’t have to like Burke. You can complain all you want about a sentence he said 3.5 years ago. You may not like the way the organization is going – and that’s cool. But all I’m asking is can we at least get back to reasonable discussions? Sure the team has needs. Sure there is a ways to go, but are the people who are calling for Burkes head really saying that NOTHING has improved in the past 3 years? That there has not been a single good move? I've heard how the Prospect pool hasn't improved, the organization hasn't improved, the Marlies season means nothing, and the talent of the Team is worse. Seriously???
Ive been a leaf fan for over 25 years, but if we fire burke within the nexxt 2- 3 years. I most likely will never watch another leafs game again.
Hes the best thing to happen to the leafs sicee 1990

burke4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 10:14 AM
  #85
Leafsman
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post

when people say this, its not based on nothing. its based on the nhl standings. the same standings the nhl bases its playoffs and draft system on.

what's your statement based on? strictly your opinion, and the opportunity to praise burke.
And exactly what standings are you basing the Nik Antropov/Matt Stajan team on? Woudlbe pretty hard to find a standing for a team that doesn't exist?

But if you think the team with Stajan/Antropov would be better lets see exactly since your so keen on basing it on something.

2008 Team projected today: Top players based on TOI

Forwards:

Jason Blake - 12 pts
Poni - 29 pts
Stajan - 17 pts
Grabo - 49 pts
Antropov - 33 pts
Total - 140 pts
Average age = 31.4

Defense

Kaberle - 31 pts
White - 32 pts
Kubina - 14 pts
Total - 77 pts
Average Age = 31.7


Todays' Team

Forwards

Kessel - 77 pts
Bozak - 43 pts
Grabo - 49 pts
Lupul - 67 pts
Connolly - 33 pts
Total - 269 pts
Average Age = 27.2


Defense

Phaneuf - 42 pts
Gunnerson - 19 pts
Gardiner - 26 pts
Total - 87 pts
Average Age - 24


Do I even have to start on Toskala vs Reimer (or Gus given who you consider #1)

Looking at it, the team has improved in every facet while at the same time getting younger! Saying this team is not an improvement on the other is ridiculous! This team has improved while getting younger while also increasing prospects!

Edit: And in regards to teh defensive side of the game, this team had 293 goals against in 2008/2009 adn currently sits at 239. So unless we get scored on 54 times in the next 6 games we have improved on there to! (Not sayingit can't happen but even now it is unlikely)

Leafsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 10:18 AM
  #86
Mowerman
Registered User
 
Mowerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucleafs View Post
i have zero confidence in reimer. I mean you can pick the top left corner on him like a ****ing cherry.
my time machine worked!!!!!!

Mowerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 10:26 AM
  #87
Drew75
Registered User
 
Drew75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by burke4life View Post
Ive been a leaf fan for over 25 years, but if we fire burke within the nexxt 2- 3 years. I most likely will never watch another leafs game again.
Hes the best thing to happen to the leafs sicee 1990
I agree... not all the moves have panned out, but most have. I also like him a lot. I understand that he's a lawyer and his job makes him a politician as well so I don't take everything he says at face value - but damn he can be entertaining!

Drew75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 10:27 AM
  #88
Shanty
Just chip and chase.
 
Shanty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
i don't imagine anyone does. but, the current regime certainly takes on burden of the history of the team when it agrees to take over the organization.

funny though, past regimes are still getting the blame for the mess the current regime is in.

but its really not about regimes. its not about brian burke. its about the maple leafs. we were all here before burke, and we'll all be here long after he's gone. its not all about him.


3 out of 4 isn't bad at all. so, what did this success actually bring us? how did these guys help our team?


i haven't read where anyone said this. i think you're making this up to suit your agenda.


again, i don't think anyone has called kessel a 36 year old plug, or made him out to be that. i think you're creating this in your own mind again. if someone has said this, please show us where.


i also see people praise the "bargains" we have on the team. as if they're the people actually saving money. should we not care or comment at all on how much a player makes? in a salary cap world, it makes a difference.


when people say this, its not based on nothing. its based on the nhl standings. the same standings the nhl bases its playoffs and draft system on.

what's your statement based on? strictly your opinion, and the opportunity to praise burke.
I'm in a bit of a rush, so I don't really have to time to form a rebuttal for this whole thing, but...

This one, you cannot possibly deny, is true. I don't know if there's EVER been another Leaf player put up this many points, score this many important goals, make more generally nice plays, and still get completely **** on CONSTANTLY.

Phil Kessel will never be good enough for the Leafs. He could win the Ross, the Hart, and the Rocket trophy in one year, and people would STILL complain about how soft he and his defensive abilities are. The way people compare him to Seguin, it's like Kessel isn't even a first line player. It's like the value of the picks is more important than the player we have. It's STILL impossible for some people to understand that we never thought in million years we were bad enough to finish second to last.

Kessel will never just be Kessel. He'll always be 2 firsts and a second. No matter how long and well he plays for us, that's all he'll ever be to most fans.

Shanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 10:27 AM
  #89
diceman934
LINT must go!
 
diceman934's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NHL player factory
Posts: 8,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by burke4life View Post
Ive been a leaf fan for over 25 years, but if we fire burke within the nexxt 2- 3 years. I most likely will never watch another leafs game again.
Hes the best thing to happen to the leafs sicee 1990
Well maybe you should get a head start as he will not be around long at all.

The New owners are in the Media business and Burke does nothing but attack the Media. He attacks individuals who are major players within their business. I can not see them keeping him at all.

When Burke got here we had no goaltending, and he stated that he Builds from the Net out....so that was to be his first priority then. Well, we are still waiting as we have no goalie within our system that can help us at this point and it has been 3.5 years.

His teams play with ..............horse poop we are soft as the Charmin my wife likes to buy!

Pat Burns was the best person that the Leafs hired in the last 25 years.....by a mile! He never had to tell people how good he was a coach as his record spoke for its self. Burke is outstanding........in his field!

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 10:29 AM
  #90
Gatorade*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanty View Post
I'm in a bit of a rush, so I don't really have to time to form a rebuttal for this whole thing, but...

This one, you cannot possibly deny, is true. I don't know if there's EVER been another Leaf player put up this many points, score this many important goals, make more generally nice plays, and still get completely **** on CONSTANTLY.

Phil Kessel will never be good enough for the Leafs. He could win the Ross, the Hart, and the Rocket trophy in one year, and people would STILL complain about how soft he and his defensive abilities are. The way people compare him to Seguin, it's like Kessel isn't even a first line player. It's like the value of the picks is more important than the player we have. It's STILL impossible for some people to understand that we never thought in million years we were bad enough to finish second to last.

Kessel will never just be Kessel. He'll always be 2 firsts and a second. No matter how long and well he plays for us, that's all he'll ever be to most fans.
Kessel is soft but that isn't the biggest issue. The real issue was the timing of the deal. It was a quick fix type move that back fired big time.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 10:46 AM
  #91
Leafsman
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Well maybe you should get a head start as he will not be around long at all.

The New owners are in the Media business and Burke does nothing but attack the Media. He attacks individuals who are major players within their business. I can not see them keeping him at all.
You really think Burke is going to be fired? You are going to be sadly disappointed. Burke is inno way to get fired!

As you pointed out the new owners are in teh media business and what other hockey exec creates more media????

Leafsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 10:47 AM
  #92
Mowerman
Registered User
 
Mowerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Kessel is soft but that isn't the biggest issue. The real issue was the timing of the deal. It was a quick fix type move that back fired big time.
How did it backfire? I'd suggest you take a look at Kessel's stats. It is impossible to deny that we gained an elite asset from the transaction, certainly the best asset in the deal. If you're going to use this deal on its own as some insane basis for Burke being inept, you also have to include what we managed to extract for Kaberle.

I can't speak for you (nor would I want to face the repercussions of that), but at the end of the day I'd rather be in the position we are in than Boston in regards to those trades. We got the best asset far and away, a big bodied, skilled prospect who will be playing in our top 6 in a year or two most likely, etc etc.

The only reason the vast majority of you kick up a fuss is because you have an irrational ***** for first round picks and drafting. Pretty much the worst case scenario managed to take place for the initial transaction, but Burke and co pretty well made it a wash at the end of the day. I'm happy with that, especially considering what we have in Kessel. You're absolutely mad.

Mowerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 10:48 AM
  #93
Gatorade*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsman View Post
You really think Burke is going to be fired? You are going to be sadly disappointed. Burke is inno way to get fired!

As you pointed out the new owners are in teh media business and what other hockey exec creates more media????
What other hockey exec calls the media dirtbags and hangs up during interviews?

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 10:49 AM
  #94
Leafsman
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
What other hockey exec calls the media dirtbags and hangs up during interviews?
Which creates a weeks worth of news stories!

Leafsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 10:50 AM
  #95
Mowerman
Registered User
 
Mowerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
What other hockey exec calls the media dirtbags and hangs up during interviews?
That's why Burke is going to be fired? Yeah, ok bud. You're right on the money.

^ and his bosses are in the media! Fire him? More like a promotion!

Mowerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 10:50 AM
  #96
Gatorade*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendelBrown View Post
How did it backfire? I'd suggest you take a look at Kessel's stats. It is impossible to deny that we gained an elite asset from the transaction, certainly the best asset in the deal. If you're going to use this deal on its own as some insane basis for Burke being inept, you also have to include what we managed to extract for Kaberle.

I can't speak for you (nor would I want to face the repercussions of that), but at the end of the day I'd rather be in the position we are in than Boston in regards to those trades. We got the best asset far and away, a big bodied, skilled prospect who will be playing in our top 6 in a year or two most likely, etc etc.

The only reason the vast majority of you kick up a fuss is because you have an irrational ***** for first round picks and drafting. Pretty much the worst case scenario managed to take place for the initial transaction, but Burke and co pretty well made it a wash at the end of the day. I'm happy with that, especially considering what we have in Kessel. You're absolutely mad.
It back fired because it was a quick fix move that has resulted in zilch. Zippo. 5 year deal, 3 are done. Results...nadda.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 10:51 AM
  #97
Gatorade*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendelBrown View Post
That's why Burke is going to be fired? Yeah, ok bud. You're right on the money.
Burke will eventually be fired for the results on the ice. Wait and see.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 10:52 AM
  #98
Gatorade*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsman View Post
Which creates a weeks worth of news stories!
Yeah for the competition. Negativity sells. His own company isn't going to burn him down.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 10:54 AM
  #99
Drew75
Registered User
 
Drew75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Kessel is soft but that isn't the biggest issue. The real issue was the timing of the deal. It was a quick fix type move that back fired big time.
How did getting one of the Leagues elite 24 year olds "back fire big time"? I'll admit that Seguin and Hamilton are more valuable in the long run, but not by as much as you seem to be making it out.

Ok - take away the Kessel deal, and what other move did Burke make that goes against "rebuilding"?

Now - before you start quoting his first news conference - I'm not looking at what he said, but what he's done.

Secondly - if you're going to use his UFA signings - I'll point out that they were all short term deals to act as a placeholder to prevent throwing kids like Coborne & Kadri under the bus before they are ready - I'd call that working towards the rebuild with youth the right way.

Drew75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 10:54 AM
  #100
Leafsman
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorade View Post
it back fired because it was a quick fix move that has resulted in zilch. Zippo. 5 year deal, 3 are done. results...nadda.
exactly!!!!

Leafsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.