HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft: Wants and Needs

Old
03-28-2012, 03:37 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
You are being WAY WAY to hard on Varlamov, Rask, and Schneider. Varlamov is an excellent goalie. And Rask and Schneider aren't number 1's because Loungo is on a ten year contract and Thomas was winning cups, vezina's, and a conn smyth. Either way, I don't want a Subban on this team if he's anything as toxic as his brother.
How so?

Is Varlamov a seasoned NHL starter? No.

Rask and Schneider are excellent Goalies, but they still remain backups. It's all very well stating that they play behind excellent Goalies, but you're attempting to create exceptions to the statistics ; yet these exceptions are fairly common.

Look at the number of established workhorses there are in the league. Miller, Lundqvist, Quick, Rinne, Vokoun (was), Backstrom, Kipper, Broduer (was), Fleury, Thomas, Luongo etc etc.

It's all very well drafting a good player, but if they aren't playing much then their value cannot be deemed to be that high. 6 or 7 years on, excellent Goalies still await time because they are stuck behind seasoned veterans. Goaltending is not a young mans game. Forwards hit their peak at 22-27 offensively, Goaltenders are the reverse.

Modern day Goaltending is exceptionally competitive. Availability of spots is limited. So many good Goaltenders are around that their value is somewhat limited. As proven, it can take many years for a drafted Goalie to become a #1 on a team because of said competition. Good Goaltenders are also littered throughout the draft and often good ones can be available via UFA through Europe. So why bother drafting a Goalie in the 1st round (Unless he is exceptional) when you have to wait so long IF they develop well instead of drafting a skater who can perhaps make your team in 2 or 3 years?

It's not logical to burn 1st round picks on Goalies.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 10:30 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Modern day Goaltending is exceptionally competitive. Availability of spots is limited. So many good Goaltenders are around that their value is somewhat limited. As proven, it can take many years for a drafted Goalie to become a #1 on a team because of said competition. Good Goaltenders are also littered throughout the draft and often good ones can be available via UFA through Europe. So why bother drafting a Goalie in the 1st round (Unless he is exceptional) when you have to wait so long IF they develop well instead of drafting a skater who can perhaps make your team in 2 or 3 years?

If your a team thats desparate for goaltending and have multiple picks to burn, then yes taking a chance on a goalie in the 1st round does make sense logically. A team like Tampa I bet is going to take a chance on one of Subban or Vasilevski. And they're the one team that really doesnt have any solidified starter in the way to prevent a young goalie from being a #1 guy and quickly. With Yzerman at the helm there, I could very easily see them drafting Vasilevski and having no problems there. We just have to see if we can make them nervous enough that he wont slide that far on draft day and take advantage of their weakness in goal.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:44 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

I think Tampa is going to use their late 1st in a package for Schneider or Bernier. I don't think Yzerman wants to wait 3-4 years to get his goaltending sorted out. Schneider can come in and be a good #1 right away.

Markstrom Rules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 08:47 AM
Eyelanders

I think Florida would benefit from drafting an offensive defenseman. A guy like Derrick Pouliot sounds interesting. From what have understood, he has improved his game lately. Hampus Lindholm has been impressive in my viewings this year. Somehow I would like to see the Panthers drafting Pontus Åberg...

Eyelanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:42 PM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

My thoughts are that we don't have major needs in the talent pool so there is no need to reach for anything, i'd prefer bpa as the strategy. With that in mind, i'd like to see us add some pure goal scorers. Our offensive future centers around Huberdeau, and as good as his hands are for goal scoring, I think to maximize his production we need people who can make the most of his passing skills and bury the puck when he sets them up. The type Im thinking of is the Stamkos type, with regards to his ability to accurately shoot the puck off the pass. (I'm not saying we will get a Stamkos type, its just an illustration of the skill in question). I don't think I'd like to see us trade out of the first unless we were offered a high 2nd and a 1st next year. Otherwise just sit tight and pick, we already have a very packed pool, no use trying to jam pack it with tons of prospects.

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:48 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

offenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffensevoffenseoffense offenseoffensevoffenseoffensevoffenseoffenseoffens eoffenseoffensevoffenseoffenseoffenseoffensevvoffe nseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffen seoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffens eoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffense offenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseo ffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseof fenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoff enseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffe nseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffen seoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffens eoffenseoffense

PanthersHockey1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:13 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersflames1 View Post
offenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffensevoffenseoffense offenseoffensevoffenseoffensevoffenseoffenseoffens eoffenseoffensevoffenseoffenseoffenseoffensevvoffe nseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffen seoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffens eoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffense offenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseo ffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseof fenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoff enseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffe nseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffen seoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffenseoffens eoffenseoffense
Fixed.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:52 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
Fixed.
Gaaah, my eyes..

SoupyFIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 06:01 AM
ShootIt

Need more grinders!

ShootIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 06:16 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Damn that dude's name is tough to pronounce!! Whats the scouting report on him?

Old
03-30-2012, 09:48 AM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Damn that dude's name is tough to pronounce!! Whats the scouting report on him?
haha. Seriously when it comes to prospect i am never content with what we have. Keep stuffing the cupboards as much as possible.

Old
03-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Coolburn

Quote:
haha. Seriously when it comes to prospect i am never content with what we have. Keep stuffing the cupboards as much as possible.
oh I agree but this really isn't the yr to take a chance on a forward if we're selecting outside of the top 15 which it seems we will. This draft is so stacked with d-men in the first round that they provide the best value for the pick. I'm getting that there will be 6 d-men selected in the top 10 right now!!

Old
03-30-2012, 12:22 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
oh I agree but this really isn't the yr to take a chance on a forward if we're selecting outside of the top 15 which it seems we will. This draft is so stacked with d-men in the first round that they provide the best value for the pick. I'm getting that there will be 6 d-men selected in the top 10 right now!!
it still would be nice if we can find the next jamie benn hanging around in the later rounds.

Old
03-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
it still would be nice if we can find the next jamie benn hanging around in the later rounds.
Or a Zetterberg in the 7th rd would be nice too.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:50 PM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
Or a Zetterberg in the 7th rd would be nice too.
I don't ask for much, just a simple all star. Is that so much to ask?

Florida Panthers: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Lottery...Winners?
Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 04:23 PM
Pantherfan12

I'd still like to see the Panthers go after Semin or Parise. May have zero chance at actually signing them,but I'd like Tallon to at least try. I think we can all agree that we are missing that pure goal scorer and I would really like to see this team bring one in. There are players on this roster that I would be okay parting ways with in order to make room for Semin/Parise. I think adding players such as Semin/Parise and then Huberdeau,and maybe Bjugstad as well will give us so much more depth, dimension and offensive power that we can be an even bigger threat then we are now. Sturm,Madden,Bradley, possibly Kopecky (doubtful) and maybe even Sammy can go in order to make room. ( I wouldn't mind keeping Sammy because he gives us more options on the PP and has good veteran leadership, and although Kopecky doesn't deserve top line minutes, I do like when he plays a hard-nosed, grind it out style. As well as him sticking up for teammates)

As far as draft is concern, for the first time in many,many,many,many years, I don't care! LOL.. I am happy to be in the Playoffs (knock on wood) and I think our organization is only really missing a top bonafied scorer, the team and the system seem to be really well stocked and ready for future success.

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 06:43 AM
Takkie
I Goc ya nose!

BPA BPA BPA. I don't care what position they play. You can always trade good players in a position you have for a position you need.

Takkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:43 AM
Eyelanders

Are there any high school players that Florida could pick in the mid/later rounds? Panthers´ recent draft selections Nick Bjugstad and Kyle Rau appear to be very good prospects, and Eddie Wittchow had a solid season in the USHL. So I guess there could be some interest in some players at that level.

Eyelanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:03 PM
Knightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
I'd still like to see the Panthers go after Semin or Parise. May have zero chance at actually signing them,but I'd like Tallon to at least try. I think we can all agree that we are missing that pure goal scorer and I would really like to see this team bring one in. There are players on this roster that I would be okay parting ways with in order to make room for Semin/Parise. I think adding players such as Semin/Parise and then Huberdeau,and maybe Bjugstad as well will give us so much more depth, dimension and offensive power that we can be an even bigger threat then we are now. Sturm,Madden,Bradley, possibly Kopecky (doubtful) and maybe even Sammy can go in order to make room. ( I wouldn't mind keeping Sammy because he gives us more options on the PP and has good veteran leadership, and although Kopecky doesn't deserve top line minutes, I do like when he plays a hard-nosed, grind it out style. As well as him sticking up for teammates)

As far as draft is concern, for the first time in many,many,many,many years, I don't care! LOL.. I am happy to be in the Playoffs (knock on wood) and I think our organization is only really missing a top bonafied scorer, the team and the system seem to be really well stocked and ready for future success.
I would love Parise. Semin wouldnt even be worth it. Ask matt bradley...

Knightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:12 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takkie View Post
BPA BPA BPA. I don't care what position they play. You can always trade good players in a position you have for a position you need.
Agreed. With our well-rounded depth, I'd like to see the BPA, probably aside from a goalie unless there's a stud tender sitting there that is leaps and bounds above the forwards or d.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 03:23 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
How so?

Is Varlamov a seasoned NHL starter? No.

Rask and Schneider are excellent Goalies, but they still remain backups. It's all very well stating that they play behind excellent Goalies, but you're attempting to create exceptions to the statistics ; yet these exceptions are fairly common.

Look at the number of established workhorses there are in the league. Miller, Lundqvist, Quick, Rinne, Vokoun (was), Backstrom, Kipper, Broduer (was), Fleury, Thomas, Luongo etc etc.

It's all very well drafting a good player, but if they aren't playing much then their value cannot be deemed to be that high. 6 or 7 years on, excellent Goalies still await time because they are stuck behind seasoned veterans. Goaltending is not a young mans game. Forwards hit their peak at 22-27 offensively, Goaltenders are the reverse.

Last edited by nhlfan9191: 04-04-2012 at 04:48 PM.
nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:06 PM
CaptainScrewy

Love not talking about the draft this time of year, but i'm curious about where we will be picking? Do they seed by points? Reseed after the playoffs? Do division winners move down? Just wondering...

CaptainScrewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 05:12 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainScrewy View Post
Love not talking about the draft this time of year, but i'm curious about where we will be picking? Do they seed by points? Reseed after the playoffs? Do division winners move down? Just wondering...
If we don't make the conference finals, then the lowest we will pick is #25. Division winners come next at the bottom of the draft order after the conference finalists. I'm thinking that we will draft #24 if not higher, I gotta think that at least one non-division winner will reach the conference finals. Actually, I think Pittsburgh will win the Cup.

Markstrom Rules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 08:42 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
So Ullberg drops to #10 at the final european G ranks.

DT, I don't care how you do it- but just get a 7th from somewhere.

SoupyFIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 02:46 PM
panthertod

Hey guys, the Draft Lottery is tonight... Guess What!!! Who Cares!!!!

For the first time in years, I don't!!!!

I hope to not care for years to come.

panthertod is offline   Reply With Quote