HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft: Wants and Needs

Old
04-10-2012, 03:54 PM
PanthersRule96

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthertod View Post
Hey guys, the Draft Lottery is tonight... Guess What!!! Who Cares!!!!

For the first time in years, I don't!!!!

I hope to not care for years to come.
hahaha this is awesome. so many anxious tuesdays the past 10 years. its nice not to give a damn.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:23 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

I love drafting so watched it anyway.

And the ****ing Oilers had to win it, and got the 1st overall for the third year in a row... un-****ing-believable.. they get the 1st twice and don't lose it, but when they're 2nd of course they win...

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:50 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post

And the ****ing Oilers had to win it, and got the 1st overall for the third year in a row... un-****ing-believable.. they get the 1st twice and don't lose it, but when they're 2nd of course they win...
just be thankful that our franchise is located well over 3000 miles away from that northern tundra. Im glad we are not in the northwest division in years to come. And teams need defense and goaltending to win the cup.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

That line is going to be scary talented, but who do they have after that?

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 08:02 PM
luby3131

Not getting too caught up in the excitement of the playoffs because we're playing with house money here. Every game/round we win is a bonus, and the expectations for the Huberdeau-era increase. I love the heart of this team, but I hate the anemic offense. The infusion of Hubey, Bjugstad, Howden, and Shore possibly as early as next year is what really gets me going.

The excitement of the future is what brought me to hfboards, which is why I continued to follow the draft, no matter how well my teams are doing (Florida born, but I'm a die hard Flyers fan, it was in my blood). With that being said, this draft excited me even though we are likely to pick in the latter part of it. This is the strongest draft in years, especially when it comes to high end defenseman and college bound project forwads (Tallon's favorite). I can't wait to add to what is the base of a future Stanley Cup contender.

luby3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersflames1 View Post
just be thankful that our franchise is located well over 3000 miles away from that northern tundra. Im glad we are not in the northwest division in years to come. And teams need defense and goaltending to win the cup.
I have a weird feeling the Oilers may be willing to move the pick if they can get a good offer for the pick. They may rather get Murray to solidify their defense too who could be their #1 d-man long term. But they dont have bad prospects on defense too with Klefbom, Marincin and Musil in their system but they do lack a true #1 guy. And Dubnyk may not be a superstar but maybe he's not bad starter. That team could be pretty scary any way you slice it in yrs to come.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 02:47 AM
Panthers are Red
Why so sad?

Quote:

I knew the Oilers were going to win. With all the fuss people were making about them getting the number 1 pick three years in a row it just seemed destined to happen.

Panthers are Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 05:38 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50

Daly: pokerface.

Tambellini: Problem?

SoupyFIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 05:57 AM
Boooooth10

I hate Tambellini's smug face so much.

Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 06:11 AM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

vCash: 50
****ing Oilers! Of course they had to win that lottery

Boothinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 07:28 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
I have a weird feeling the Oilers may be willing to move the pick if they can get a good offer for the pick. They may rather get Murray to solidify their defense too who could be their #1 d-man long term. But they dont have bad prospects on defense too with Klefbom, Marincin and Musil in their system but they do lack a true #1 guy. And Dubnyk may not be a superstar but maybe he's not bad starter. That team could be pretty scary any way you slice it in yrs to come.
Tambellini is in an unbelievable position. I think if he can get a blue chip prospect he'll trade down a few spots, otherwise he'll pick yakupov. I can see the habs and isles making great offers, which is bad for the east.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 07:57 AM
Neek

It's weird not having a pick in the top 14...

Neek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 08:44 AM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Eberle
RNH
Hall
Yakupov

...what the hell... That's just insanity.

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 10:21 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by luby3131 View Post
Not getting too caught up in the excitement of the playoffs because we're playing with house money here. Every game/round we win is a bonus, and the expectations for the Huberdeau-era increase. I love the heart of this team, but I hate the anemic offense. The infusion of Hubey, Bjugstad, Howden, and Shore possibly as early as next year is what really gets me going.

The excitement of the future is what brought me to hfboards, which is why I continued to follow the draft, no matter how well my teams are doing (Florida born, but I'm a die hard Flyers fan, it was in my blood). With that being said, this draft excited me even though we are likely to pick in the latter part of it. This is the strongest draft in years, especially when it comes to high end defenseman and college bound project forwads (Tallon's favorite). I can't wait to add to what is the base of a future Stanley Cup contender.
I agree with the first paragraph. I am pumped for the playoffs, however at times during the regular season Florida games were the some of the most boring i have ever watched. I watched many times out of guilt, but i cannot wait until the injection of talent coming up.

I will watch every single playoff game with Florida involved, but i am legit pumped for the playoffs as an entity, and am nearly as excited to watch the Flyers/Penguins and Predators/Red Wings as our own series.

The 2nd paragraph, i do not agree with. This is not a strong draft. It's a solid draft, but the projections of itself that existed a year ago haven't come to fruition. Alot of D, but with many injuries it's become somewhat of a minefield to exactly know where we are with them. The European Forwards are very strong, the North American Forwards are abysmal. One of the worst crops ever.

Overall it's a draft like any other draft. Plenty of good available players and if you scout well, you can get good talent. The Top end in this draft is littered with question marks, but is enticing.

As a side point, MR, Tervainen was ranked 6th by Button and 10th by Mckenzie. He won't be available to us, but it's entirely possible he's the 4th or 5th Forward taken, after the Russians, Galchenyuk, Forsberg and perhaps Faksa.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 11:45 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
I agree with the first paragraph. I am pumped for the playoffs, however at times during the regular season Florida games were the some of the most boring i have ever watched. I watched many times out of guilt, but i cannot wait until the injection of talent coming up.

I will watch every single playoff game with Florida involved, but i am legit pumped for the playoffs as an entity, and am nearly as excited to watch the Flyers/Penguins and Predators/Red Wings as our own series.

The 2nd paragraph, i do not agree with. This is not a strong draft. It's a solid draft, but the projections of itself that existed a year ago haven't come to fruition. Alot of D, but with many injuries it's become somewhat of a minefield to exactly know where we are with them. The European Forwards are very strong, the North American Forwards are abysmal. One of the worst crops ever.

Overall it's a draft like any other draft. Plenty of good available players and if you scout well, you can get good talent. The Top end in this draft is littered with question marks, but is enticing.

As a side point, MR, Tervainen was ranked 6th by Button and 10th by Mckenzie. He won't be available to us, but it's entirely possible he's the 4th or 5th Forward taken, after the Russians, Galchenyuk, Forsberg and perhaps Faksa.
It looks like Teravainen will go high, you were right. At least we can stop debating about him.

It's appearing that it's very likely we will take a D. This may change in the last couple months, but I don't see it as likely, this has always been a D heavy draft. Taking into account all the latest rankings, it looks like the only forwards that will be available around #25 that we would pick(that high) are Hertl and Sissons. We will miss the first and second tiers of forwards. However there will be a ton of solid d-men in that range. One or more of Koekkoek, Maatta, Finn, Lindholm, Bystrom, or Thrower will be there when we pick. I'd be happy with any of them. CSS has Pokka quite high among Euros as well. I wouldn't mind if we picked him either. I think this works out quite well. Next year is going to be a great draft for forwards. We pick a d-man this year, and a forward next year.

Wrt forwards, it looks like DiGiuseppe will go around #30 or in the 2nd round. Samuelsson might climb a bit in the last couple months, but that's doubtful. What a terrible draft for forwards.

We could always trade up, but I don't see it as likely given the dearth of draft picks we have over the next couple years. No need either, we will get a solid player.

I hope we keep this year's 2nd and pick a forward in the 2nd round. There will be a lot of decent specs left over because of the defense monopoly in the 1st round that probably won't be stars but could be solid depth players. I also wouldn't be surprised if we took a couple goalies later on. At least one is basically guaranteed because we only have 4 prospects, and one of them for all intents and purposes will never play in the NHL, or AHL for that matter.

Old
04-11-2012, 11:52 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Our draft ranking depends on how far we go in the playoffs, so let's not rush it and say we're gonna draft #25.

If we draft 25th, both Hertl and Maatta would be great selections imo.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Our draft ranking depends on how far we go in the playoffs, so let's not rush it and say we're gonna draft #25.

If we draft 25th, both Hertl and Maatta would be great selections imo.
We won our division, so if the conference finals are comprised solely of division winners, then we will pick 25 as we were the division winner with the least amount of points. We should all be rooting for as many non division winners to make the conference finals as possible as that would bump us up higher in the draft.

Old
04-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Takkie
I Goc ya nose!

I'm honestly more excited for this draft than I've been for any of the ones where we were in the lottery. Teams like philly, boston,detroit, nj, ny, etc.. are good because they hit on draft picks late in the first round.

I think we finally have a front office staff that can pick up parise, giroux, mike green , david perron type players.

Takkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 01:25 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
We won our division, so if the conference finals are comprised solely of division winners, then we will pick 25 as we were the division winner with the least amount of points. We should all be rooting for as many non division winners to make the conference finals as possible as that would bump us up higher in the draft.
Are you sure about that? I thought it was based on what round you make it to.

And if we draft that late, Tallon would be a fool not to give TB that pick.

Old
04-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Are you sure about that? I thought it was based on what round you make it to.
Well, it would be if we didn't win the division. Like if Washington won the division, and we didn't make it to the conference finals, we would pick 16th. But it wouldn't matter if we were out in the 1st round or 2nd round. It would still be the same pick. The conference finalists get the last 4 picks depending on who wins the Cup, the runner-up, and then whoever had the better record in the regular season for the #27-28 teams.

Quote:
And if we draft that late, Tallon would be a fool not to give TB that pick.
I wouldn't be broken up if he did, but I just think there are going to be some good bargains for forwards in the late 2nd. Even if we do pick a forward in the 1st, then there will be lots of good d-men late in the 2nd too. Who knows where we will finish next season, it could be close to top 10 in the league again, so my feeling is why not.

Old
04-11-2012, 01:50 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

whats all this talk about giving tampa our pick?

Old
04-11-2012, 01:54 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
We traded a conditional 2nd(our choice of 2012 or 2013) plus a 3rd we got for trading down from our 2nd round pick last draft, for Versteeg. Then Philly traded that 2nd at the deadline for Kubina. So the year that we decide to not use the 2nd, it goes to Tampa.

Old
04-11-2012, 01:56 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

Quote:
We traded a conditional 2nd(our choice of 2012 or 2013) plus a 3rd we got for trading down from our 2nd round pick last draft, for Versteeg. Then Philly traded that 2nd at the deadline for Kubina. So the year that we decide to not use the 2nd, it goes to Tampa.
ya i suggest letting them have the 2nd this year. It is not guaranteed that we win the division next season.

Depending on where we finish do you think tallon will trade the first for 2 seconds? It might be a wise strategy.

Old
04-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Gudbranson44

Quote:
we sent either 2012 or 2013 2nd round pick + others to philly for versteeg, and they later traded that pick to tampa for kubina

edit: opps too late eheh

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 02:04 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
It looks like Teravainen will go high, you were right. At least we can stop debating about him.

It's appearing that it's very likely we will take a D. This may change in the last couple months, but I don't see it as likely, this has always been a D heavy draft. Taking into account all the latest rankings, it looks like the only forwards that will be available around #25 that we would pick(that high) are Hertl and Sissons. We will miss the first and second tiers of forwards. However there will be a ton of solid d-men in that range. One or more of Koekkoek, Maatta, Finn, Lindholm, Bystrom, or Thrower will be there when we pick. I'd be happy with any of them. CSS has Pokka quite high among Euros as well. I wouldn't mind if we picked him either. I think this works out quite well. Next year is going to be a great draft for forwards. We pick a d-man this year, and a forward next year.

Wrt forwards, it looks like DiGiuseppe will go around #30 or in the 2nd round. Samuelsson might climb a bit in the last couple months, but that's doubtful. What a terrible draft for forwards.

We could always trade up, but I don't see it as likely given the dearth of draft picks we have over the next couple years. No need either, we will get a solid player.

I hope we keep this year's 2nd and pick a forward in the 2nd round. There will be a lot of decent specs left over because of the defense monopoly in the 1st round that probably won't be stars but could be solid depth players. I also wouldn't be surprised if we took a couple goalies later on. At least one is basically guaranteed because we only have 4 prospects, and one of them for all intents and purposes will never play in the NHL, or AHL for that matter.
Doesn't mean i was right. We have to wait and see what he develops into before we declare a winner .

Depending on if Hertl goes to the CHL, i certainly wouldn't mind selecting him.

I think im beginning to agree on the D selection front. I just don't see mant obvious Forwards to take that i like. Of course good Forwards will be selected throughout the draft, but i'll be damned if i know who they are after #25. No obvious good Forward in that range.

Koekkoek, Maatta, Finn, Lindholm, Bystrom, or Thrower are certainly intriguing prospects. Koekkoek would likely be higher if it wasn't for injury, and i'd be all aboard selecting him. Maatta im ok with there, i think he'll be a solid #3 one day so it's good value, even if it isn't sexy. I know Finn has been ranked high, but im somewhat clueless about him. Lindholm apparently had a very very good Kvalserien for Rogle. His U-18 tournament may hold the key to where he is drafted. Potentially he goes higher than we draft, potentially he goes lower. Interesting option i think. Thrower would be a good 2nd round selection, but his size would be somewhat of a concern considering the game he plays.

All interesting options however.

Pokka i wouldn't touch in the 1st. Nice prospect with some interesting tools, but needs to improve his mobility and decision making. 2nd round i'd have some interest.

Next year does look much superior in regards to Forwards. The WHL looks loaded, there is a good OHL crop and a very interesting QMJHL crop (Players like Sorensen ranked in the 15's) whilst Sweden and Finland have very very good Forwards for next year. Not that Russia is NHL draft orientated, but i've heard several times the 95's are their best age group in a long long time. Overall, a sexy looking draft. Of course 2012 looked so, and here we are, a little underwhelmed.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote