HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft: Wants and Needs

Old
05-08-2012, 06:04 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
You mean win the round? That would give them at the highest the #27 pick.
No. If the Devils lose, they should draft before us. But they have to forfeit a 1st before 2014(?), and they might consider doing that this year. That would make us draft one spot higher than expected.

AwesomePanthers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 06:20 PM
SufferingCatFan

Goalie may slip through and represent a good value pick.

SufferingCatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 07:29 PM
AaronEkbald

What's the scouting report on Marty Frk?

Anyone seen him play recently?

AaronEkbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 09:57 PM
BabyJagrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by LassieMaven View Post
What's the scouting report on Marty Frk?

Anyone seen him play recently?
2nd rounder... Much better options available with our first... You're welcome.

BabyJagrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 07:28 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
With the way things sit today, its pretty much confirmed that we're basically picking #23 (or 22 if the Caps mount a comeback). The Kings and Devils advancing to the conference finals shifted us down 2 spots and only if Washington wins game 6 & 7 will we pick 22nd.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:07 AM
SoupyFIN
#character

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by SufferingCatFan View Post
Goalie may slip through and represent a good value pick.
The only goalie I would pick would be Ullberg with the 6th if he's still there. He's as good (if not better) than any of the higher rated goalies. Should be interesting to see how he does as a number 1 in SaiPa for a full year.

SoupyFIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:10 AM
BabyJagrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
With the way things sit today, its pretty much confirmed that we're basically picking #23 (or 22 if the Caps mount a comeback). The Kings and Devils advancing to the conference finals shifted us down 2 spots and only if Washington wins game 6 & 7 will we pick 22nd.
We still have a chance to draft Koekkoek, Pouliot, Finn, Ceci or Maatta... Those guys are rated top-20 but I could see any of them falling to our pick !

Collberg and Aberg could also still be there in terms of speedy snipers ! Girgensons, Matteau, Wilson and Di Giuseppe when considering big talented forwards...

Vasilievsky if you want a goaltender, you can't do much better !

We will get a great great prospect IMO.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJagrov View Post
We still have a chance to draft Koekkoek, Pouliot, Finn, Ceci or Maatta... Those guys are rated top-20 but I could see any of them falling to our pick !

Collberg and Aberg could also still be there in terms of speedy snipers ! Girgensons, Matteau, Wilson and Di Giuseppe when considering big talented forwards...

Vasilievsky if you want a goaltender, you can't do much better !

We will get a great great prospect IMO.
I would be absolutely SHOCKED if either of Ceci, Maata, Collberg or Aberg were still available at 23. Those guys aren't going to drop to us IMHO. If Collberg drops out of the top 20 picks, I would probably crap a brick, literally!

I think at this point we have to hope for one of Koekkoek or Finn to still be there to get good value out of the pick IMHO.

Old
05-09-2012, 04:28 PM
BabyJagrov

Quote:
I would be absolutely SHOCKED if either of Ceci, Maata, Collberg or Aberg were still available at 23. Those guys aren't going to drop to us IMHO. If Collberg drops out of the top 20 picks, I would probably crap a brick, literally!

I think at this point we have to hope for one of Koekkoek or Finn to still be there to get good value out of the pick IMHO.
I would be shocked too... But hey let's make a probable top-20 picks list:

Yakupov, Murray, Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, Forsberg, Dumba, Rielly, Trouba, Reinhart, Teravainen, Faksa, Gaunce, Ceci, Maatta, Girgensons, Collberg, Aberg, Pouliot, Finn, Koekkoek...

We're at 20 there... Expect some kids to fall like in every draft IMO.

And I haven't listed Vasilievsky, the two Swedes D (who I hear are pretty good) Lindholm and Bystrom, Dalton Thrower is another name I hear a lot but don't know yet, just like Jordan Schmaltz who is said to be pretty good also...

With this draft, we could get an awesome prospect on defense and that's what we should aim for IMO. This group is so good and yet so little separates anyone of them. It takes a couple of GMs to be in love with one of the unknown kids to have a guy like Maatta, Collberg or Aberg fall to us !

Koekkoek would be the icing on the cake of a great great season by the Florida Panthers...

Old
05-10-2012, 12:36 AM
p9ers

I have no idea if Koekkoek is good or if he would fit in our system ... but I'd love to say his name hahaha!

p9ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 04:09 AM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
No. If the Devils lose, they should draft before us. But they have to forfeit a 1st before 2014(?), and they might consider doing that this year. That would make us draft one spot higher than expected.
Whoops, brain fart on my part. Obviously if the Devils pick lower than us then whether they forfeit the pick or not has no bearing on our 1st round pick.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJagrov View Post
I would be shocked too... But hey let's make a probable top-20 picks list:

Yakupov, Murray, Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, Forsberg, Dumba, Rielly, Trouba, Reinhart, Teravainen, Faksa, Gaunce, Ceci, Maatta, Girgensons, Collberg, Aberg, Pouliot, Finn, Koekkoek...

We're at 20 there... Expect some kids to fall like in every draft IMO.

And I haven't listed Vasilievsky, the two Swedes D (who I hear are pretty good) Lindholm and Bystrom, Dalton Thrower is another name I hear a lot but don't know yet, just like Jordan Schmaltz who is said to be pretty good also...

With this draft, we could get an awesome prospect on defense and that's what we should aim for IMO. This group is so good and yet so little separates anyone of them. It takes a couple of GMs to be in love with one of the unknown kids to have a guy like Maatta, Collberg or Aberg fall to us !

Koekkoek would be the icing on the cake of a great great season by the Florida Panthers...
Yeah, we will get good value out of the pick. There will still be good d-men left when we pick, and that's probably who we'd take. Aberg or Girgensons might fall to us, although very unlikely. Actually I'm expecting Lindholm to go top 20 based on all the chatter about him recently. I'd be happy with Bystrom, Koekkoek, Finn, or Thrower. Plus, with a good goalie crop this year I expect at least one team to take a goalie in the top 22-23. That may push yet another d-man down. It also wouldn't surprise me to see Ceci fall big time, maybe not all the way down to us, but to around #20. He's charmin soft and the more I've watched him the less impressive he's seemed. He's got the size and skills but nobody wants a big soft teddybear on defense.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:44 AM
MickOlax

Quote:
Originally Posted by p9ers View Post
I have no idea if Koekkoek is good or if he would fit in our system ... but I'd love to say his name hahaha!
How the heck do you even pronounce his name?

If nothing else, at least his name would be good for trolling with the announcers and commentators.

-L-

MickOlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Coolburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickOlax View Post
How the heck do you even pronounce his name?

If nothing else, at least his name would be good for trolling with the announcers and commentators.

-L-
Pronounced Kuh-KOOK

Interesting article to read about him from 2 yrs ago: http://bruins2011draftwatch.blogspot...12-slater.html

Old
06-04-2012, 01:29 PM
SoupyFIN
#character

http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip691863#clip691863

Malcolm Subban interviewed by Panthers.

Old
06-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

I really am hoping to get one of the 2 goalies with our first pick... Or Sebastian Collberg somehow.. But with our only Euro Donskoi not signing, I doubt we see any risky Euro picks.

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 01:40 PM
SoupyFIN
#character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudbranson4Prez View Post
But with our only Euro Donskoi not signing, I doubt we see any risky Euro picks.
It wasn't because Donskoi didn't want to sign, Panthers didn't want pay his salary which he would have earned the next season. And if he goes undrafted I could almost bet he'll sign with us the next season.

I hope we pick Ullberg with the 6th if he's still there even if we end up picking a goalie earlier, he's the number 1 now in SaiPa and should remain that guy for a few years at least. Number 1 as a 18 (19 in July) yo is pretty unheard of in the FEL. Lehtonen & Rask probably were the last guys to do it.

Old
06-04-2012, 02:09 PM
PanthersHockey1
Bond.

In case anyone was still nebulous what number pick we are scott cullen of tsn has us slated at 23rd. Also for those taking a goalie with that pick im not so sure that is a wise move. We need offense.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 03:02 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

I'm certainly not against picking Subban 23rd overall. We lack good goalies after Markström, the only one with potential is Brittain. Subban would gives us options if Brittain doesn't pan out. And if they think Subban will be the best player of the remaining, take him and then you got the option of trading him later (Rask/Bernier/Schneider like).

I was high on Aberg, not so much anymore. He started out great, and then stopped. Hertl and Girgonsons should also be considered if theyre there, I doubt Girgensons is though (ranked around 18-25 in both ISS and CSS)

Old
06-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
I'm certainly not against picking Subban 23rd overall. We lack good goalies after Markström, the only one with potential is Brittain. Subban would gives us options if Brittain doesn't pan out. And if they think Subban will be the best player of the remaining, take him and then you got the option of trading him later (Rask/Bernier/Schneider like).

I was high on Aberg, not so much anymore. He started out great, and then stopped. Hertl and Girgonsons should also be considered if theyre there, I doubt Girgensons is though (ranked around 18-25 in both ISS and CSS)
Do you really think Rask or Schneider are going anywhere?

IMO , Rask will take over starting duties in Boston next season with Thomas taking off the whole season.
Schneider will take over starting duties as well if Luongo wants out or gets traded...Gonna happen!
And Bernier wont get the No. 1 seat in LA anymore. Only thing he gets dealt is if he wants out . I still think the wants out and I would like to acquire him!

Last edited by Boothinator: 06-04-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Boothinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 05:29 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothinator View Post
Do you really think Rask or Schneider are going anywhere?

IMO , Rask will take over starting duties in Boston next season with Thomas taking off the whole season.
Schneider will take over starting duties as well if Luongo wants out or gets traded...Gonna happen!
And Bernier wont get the No. 1 seat in LA anymore. Only thing he gets dealt is if he wants out . I still think the wants out and I would like to acquire him!
I knew someone was gonna say that, and misunderstand what I meant.

Yes, Rask will likely be #1 and so will Schneider, but they have both been trade bait earlier in the past. And I just said "the option of trading him", not that we're gonna do it.

We have no need for Bernier.

Old
06-09-2012, 08:19 AM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

I still think the best value would probably be in picking a d-man, but if they think Subban or another goalie is head and shoulders above everybody else on the board, then I'll stand behind them. That's not the way I see this draft, but I'm not privy to their info. Also, the fact that they interviewed Subban means nothing in regards to who we're going to pick. They will interview tons of players. You have to do your due diligence.

Old
06-09-2012, 08:57 AM
Coolburn

The more I think about it the more I believe that we either have to trade up and get a better pick with a more legit prospect or use the pick to acquire a legit NHLer (scoring forward). I dont see the depth in this draft really and with how stocked we are in terms of depth in our prospect pool, I would rather get one stud player over a couple of avg prospects. If we keep our 2nd rounder and use that to trade up about 5-7 spots, I think we can grab one of the better players in the draft. Just IMHO.

Old
06-09-2012, 09:21 AM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
The more I think about it the more I believe that we either have to trade up and get a better pick with a more legit prospect or use the pick to acquire a legit NHLer (scoring forward). I dont see the depth in this draft really and with how stocked we are in terms of depth in our prospect pool, I would rather get one stud player over a couple of avg prospects. If we keep our 2nd rounder and use that to trade up about 5-7 spots, I think we can grab one of the better players in the draft. Just IMHO.
I think Tallon will try to trade up. I think Ellerby will be used as bait as well. But if we pick at #23 I think we'll be just fine, I think you're selling this draft a little short. There's no doubt we'll get a good defense prospect, or if we decide to go with a goalie then there are a few really good ones.

Old
06-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Panthers are Red
Why so sad?

There is an article on this site about the combine results and that reminded me that in the last couple of years we have drafted players that have performed well at the combine and look to be physical specimens. By the sounds of it Chris Calnan, Tom Wilson and Jake McCabe all performed well and therefore could be players that Tallon will try and draft. Calnan and and Wilson are both RWs which is also a position that I think we are lacking slightly.

Panthers are Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 12:17 PM
SufferingCatFan

The Red Line Report has the Panthers taking Tanner Pearson in it's Mock Draft. I am hoping that Olli Maatta slips to us.

SufferingCatFan is offline   Reply With Quote