HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

11'/12' Offseason Propsals/Trades/Signing: Schultz is the new agenda.

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2012, 05:20 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

vCash: 500
11'/12' Offseason Propsals/Trades/Signing: Schultz is the new agenda.

continue here.

03-26-2012, 05:24 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Haven't been involved in the Schultz discussion much, but bringing him in would be such a huge building block for the team going forward.

For a team like this, he's almost a more attractive target than Suter. But that depends on what your opinions are of how good this team really is.

03-26-2012, 05:40 PM
Doug Gilmour
Leafer Since '95

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
Haven't been involved in the Schultz discussion much, but bringing him in would be such a huge building block for the team going forward.

For a team like this, he's almost a more attractive target than Suter. But that depends on what your opinions are of how good this team really is.
Plus we have a better chance at signing Schultz over Suter everyday of the week if he is indeed heading to UFA. He will be cheaper too.

Old
03-26-2012, 05:43 PM
RaskY
GLG

Schultz would be great but no way would he be a better idea than Ryan Suter

We have enough young defenders developing. A veteran presence who is a top five defender would be amazing.

That said I still hope we get Schultz.

Old
03-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaskY View Post

We have enough young defenders developing. A veteran presence who is a top five defender would be amazing.

this, although Schultz would come at 1/7th or 8th of the cost that Suter would come for

Old
03-26-2012, 05:48 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Gilmour View Post
Plus we have a better chance at signing Schultz over Suter everyday of the week if he is indeed heading to UFA. He will be cheaper too.
Definitely, I don't see Suter as really even considering coming here.

Quote:

A veteran presence who is 5 years older, and is about to cash in huge on the open market.

Don't get me wrong, Suter is terrific, but we're cap strapped, and need young contributing players on manageable contracts. Schultz is arguably the best defenseman not playing in the NHL right now, and we'd get him on a ELC, and when that expires, he'd be an RFA. For this team, that's a huge deal.

How many players on bargain contracts can you name on this team?

We simply don't have enough guys contributing for cheap.

Gunnarsson and Gardiner are a couple, but there really isn't anyone else.

Old
03-26-2012, 05:50 PM
blacknite001

It would be great to land Schultz but with our D line as it is, and with guys like Blacker developing it would be hard to land him unless we start moving bodies out of our D-man make room for him to play.

Old
03-26-2012, 05:51 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknite001 View Post
It would be great to land Schultz but with our D line as it is, and with guys like Blacker developing it would be hard to land him unless we start moving bodies out of our D-man make room for him to play.
Komi is as good as gone, + we would need some Dmen to package for some forwards

Old
03-26-2012, 05:51 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknite001 View Post
we're likely see a reshuffling of forwards and D man with the collapse we had. No way, with the contracts we have tied down will stop them from making changes.

Old
03-26-2012, 05:53 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Face it, Leafs will be a undesirable place for top UFAs until the Leafs look like bonifide contenders. I'm talking about 4-6 seed at worst, it won't be like one year making the playoffs and missing the next year.

Old
03-26-2012, 06:01 PM
RaskY
GLG

Quote:
Definitely, I don't see Suter as really even considering coming here.

A veteran presence who is 5 years older, and is about to cash in huge on the open market.

Don't get me wrong, Suter is terrific, but we're cap strapped, and need young contributing players on manageable contracts. Schultz is arguably the best defenseman not playing in the NHL right now, and we'd get him on a ELC, and when that expires, he'd be an RFA. For this team, that's a huge deal.

How many players on bargain contracts can you name on this team?

We simply don't have enough guys contributing for cheap.

Gunnarsson and Gardiner are a couple, but there really isn't anyone else.
How many more "young contributers" do we need? Especially on the back-end? This team, one of the youngest in the league, was swept with adversary in the second half of this season and it's clear that they are what they look like, a young team.

Gunnarsson is 25 but is only finishing his second full season in the NHL and is still developing in some areas.

Gardiner is 21 and as good as he's been for a rookie, he still needs to work on his defense and how do we know he won't be prone to a sophomore slump next season?

Schenn is 22 and has shown regression from his previous years. Not a good sign.

Franson is 24 and he is still struggling to hold a spot in the top six on a regular basis.

Would you really want Schultz, 21 years old, and another rookie on the back-end over Ryan Suter who has established himself as one of the very best defense-men in the league? I understand Suter costs way more than Schultz, but at some point we have to start actually moving forward and building this team towards contention for the Cup.

Old
03-26-2012, 06:05 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Komi is as good as gone, + we would need some Dmen to package for some forwards
who is taking him? lol

Old
03-26-2012, 06:10 PM
dougieg93
flip for filip

I'm sure Burke envisions DeKeyser as a perfect replacement for Komisarek.

Old
03-26-2012, 06:11 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
How many more "young contributers" do we need? Especially on the back-end? This team, one of the youngest in the league, was swept with adversary in the second half of this season and it's clear that they are what they look like, a young team.

Gunnarsson is 25 but is only finishing his second full season in the NHL and is still developing in some areas.

Gardiner is 21 and as good as he's been for a rookie, he still needs to work on his defense and how do we know he won't be prone to a sophomore slump next season?

Schenn is 22 and has shown regression from his previous years. Not a good sign.

Franson is 24 and he is still struggling to hold a spot in the top six on a regular basis.

Would you really want Schultz, 21 years old, and another rookie on the back-end over Ryan Suter who has established himself as one of the very best defense-men in the league? I understand Suter costs way more than Schultz, but at some point we have to start actually moving forward and building this team towards contention for the Cup.
Every good team needs to have a good mix of veteran presence (that may be heavy on the cap) and young players making less than their worth based on contributions. Heck, not just young players too, but in this situation, we could have an opportunity to add a guy to the team that fits the bill of a cheap producing player.

We're right up against the cap due to bloated contracts, and very little discount players. For a team as bad as we are, it's not acceptable.

Like I said, Suter is a great player, but how much will he get on the open market? $7M+?

Yes, we need to move forward and build towards contention, but in my eyes, we're still a way away from that. Suter would really improve this team, but would it be enough?

Old
03-26-2012, 06:21 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
who is taking him? lol
i mean in the long-term plans lol

Old
03-26-2012, 06:22 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

if we could get a top 10 pick for Phaneuf, then do it ..
offer max to Suter, and sign Schultz

Old
03-26-2012, 06:25 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
if we could get a top 10 pick for Phaneuf, then do it ..
offer max to Suter, and sign Schultz
I don't think many teams would do that, but you never know.

Edmonton could use a defenseman.

Old
03-26-2012, 06:27 PM
RaskY
GLG

Quote:
Every good team needs to have a good mix of veteran presence (that may be heavy on the cap) and young players making less than their worth based on contributions. Heck, not just young players too, but in this situation, we could have an opportunity to add a guy to the team that fits the bill of a cheap producing player.

We're right up against the cap due to bloated contracts, and very little discount players. For a team as bad as we are, it's not acceptable.

Like I said, Suter is a great player, but how much will he get on the open market? $7M+?

Yes, we need to move forward and build towards contention, but in my eyes, we're still a way away from that. Suter would really improve this team, but would it be enough?
I guess this is where our differences meet. I don't think this team is as bad as the general public and media has made them out to be.

While the Leafs sit near the bottom of the Eastern standings for another season, the team had played exceptional hockey from October to February, had maintained a playoff spot from 6th to 8th, and looked like a young team who were playing to their strengths. Then in February, after the all-start break, the Leafs had to deal with their first big slump of the season as a team and to be honest, as a young team with not too many veteran leaders on the roster, I am not very surprised that they crashed as hard as they did. Not to mention the fact that the fans and media went ballistic on them during this stretch...Even in 10/11, we finished what 10th? 11th? Not TOO far away from the playoffs. We don't have Wilson anymore, and I can confidently say Carlyle is going to be a huge improvement. You can already see the adjustments being made in games this season.

Now this plays directly to my point that at this point Suter would be a far more valuable piece to this club than Schultz. I repeat that I understand he is just one player and he comes with a hefty price tag, but this team is simply too young to ever contend. Suter isn't just a veteran presence, he is an elite defenseman who WOULD improve our defense by a-lot.

A defensive core of:

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Liles - Schenn
Gardiner - Schultz

And in the case of injuries which is inevitable, extras are: Franson, Holzer, Blacker, Komisarek.

That is just TOO young. Our only "veterans" on there are Phaneuf and Liles, and to be honest Phaneuf is not a very good defenseman, and from what I see ON ice, isn't a very good leader.

Old
03-26-2012, 06:30 PM
Doug Gilmour
Leafer Since '95

Quote:
I don't think many teams would do that, but you never know.

Edmonton needs defensemen.
Sorry to be a critic of sorts, but that's how I envision it with Edmonton. They don't just need 1 defenseman but multiple ones.

Old
03-26-2012, 06:30 PM
RaskY
GLG

And isn't the salary cap going up by a few million dollars?

Old
03-26-2012, 06:39 PM
fourofakindfowl

Leafs should try to get Briere

Old
03-26-2012, 06:55 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourofakindfowl View Post
Leafs should try to get Briere
3 more years at 6.5 mil. 34 years old. I'm not sure if that would be the wisest idea.

Old
03-26-2012, 07:03 PM
HoseEmDown

Lightning fan here, it seems all leaf fans want to get rid of Schenn and Franson, we need an upgrade and especially RHD, so realistically what would it take?

Old
03-26-2012, 07:08 PM
RaskY
GLG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
Lightning fan here, it seems all leaf fans want to get rid of Schenn and Franson, we need an upgrade and especially RHD, so realistically what would it take?
I don't see the Leafs and Lightning as good trading partners for a deal like this. If we were to deal Schenn or Franson, I would hope it would be in a package for a top six (ideally first line center or winger). Obviously Stamkos is not an option and I don't think Burke would pursue St. Louis or Lecavalier too much. Really Brett Connolly is probably the most realistic player.

Old
03-26-2012, 07:13 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
On your main roster I'm a fan of Purcell, but he seems to becoming a very important piece for your team so I doubt he'd be moved. For prospects I'm a fan of Connolly, Namestinikov, Kucherov, Barberio and maybe Tyrell. I would think that a deal involving Schenn would need Connolly or Namestinikov(+) coming back. Not really sure what Franson would cost.

Closed Thread