HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

11'/12' Offseason Propsals/Trades/Signing: Schultz is the new agenda.

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2012, 09:59 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
Id definitely prefer Stewart. He doesn't fit in well in St. Louis at all, but he's proven he has the potential to be a 30+ goal scorer by scoring 28 goals twice (under 82 games both times) before he was 24. He also plays a rougher style game which Purcell does not. We have enough soft players on this team. A young rough forward that can score 25-35 a year would be a huge addition to the team. Purcell is 26, I think we'd be kicking ourselves if we took him over Stewie after we see what Stewie is doing when he reaches that age.
maybe, i was a fan of Stewart's when he was on the Avs ... but ever since joining the Blues he looks uninterested and lazy ... maybe it's just StL and their system? and if it is then that is concerning since RC implements (or at least tries to) a similar style as Hitchcock

Old
03-26-2012, 10:10 PM
jakapono24

LACK of choice

Just for fun, I want to see which combination Leafs fans would keep and which they would get rid of. The scenario: A GM - probably utterly idiotic - gives you the following three options:

1. Takes Connolly (waves NTC) and Lombardi, but wants either 2nd or Franson as well (Nashville trade but better) --> We take on nothing...get like a conditional 7th or something we'll never really use

2. Takes Komisarek's 2x4.5M --> Gives you 1x6.5M player

3. Takes Armstrong, Lombardi, Connolly, and Komisarek, but wants Kadri/Schenn + 1st or Lupul --> Gives you one, relatively small (like 3-5 mill/1 year) contract that can be put in minors (for example to a floor team like the Avs or Isles)

Scenario 1, you get rid of 2/4, but give up some value. Scenario 2, you give up only 1/4, but that's it and you take on MORE current salary, but less term. Scenario 3, you get rid of LACK, but they also want Kadri/Schenn and 1st/Lupul.

Each scenario represents a potential 'phase' for the Leafs to enter. They are pretty explicit and instead of asking the question directly, I thought it would be more helpful to use an example instead.

Which would you do? AND why?

Old
03-26-2012, 10:11 PM
JMcLeaf
Unregistered User

vCash: 3290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
maybe, i was a fan of Stewart's when he was on the Avs ... but ever since joining the Blues he looks uninterested and lazy ... maybe it's just StL and their system? and if it is then that is concerning since RC implements (or at least tries to) a similar style as Hitchcock
Yeah that is the part that concerns me as well. I think the key would be to get him to show some effort because he obviously has the tools to be a very good player. I think a hard ass coach like Carlyle could be the kick in the butt he needs to take it to the next level. I could be wrong though.

Old
03-26-2012, 10:15 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
Yeah that is the part that concerns me as well. I think the key would be to get him to show some effort because he obviously has the tools to be a very good player. I think a hard ass coach like Carlyle could be the kick in the butt he needs to take it to the next level. I could be wrong though.
yea, it could either motivate Stewart, or lead him to play even lazier ... who knows

he has all the tools as you said; i will be curious to see what StL does with him this off-season

Old
03-26-2012, 10:16 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

just keep them for another year ...

Old
03-26-2012, 10:20 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 5000
I'd go for the first senerio and toss in Franson . A 7th D is a small price to pay to free up 8 mil in cap space .

Old
03-26-2012, 10:56 PM
Pyromaniac3

I would rather keep them than do stupid deals.

Old
03-26-2012, 11:01 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
yea, it could either motivate Stewart, or lead him to play even lazier ... who knows

he has all the tools as you said; i will be curious to see what StL does with him this off-season
I have a feeling he's the type of guy that will cause negotiation problems by asking for to much money.

I'd send Franson + Mac packing for him and sign him for a 1 year 4 mil deal, give him a year to show what he's worth and negotiate again at the end. Then ice Kadri-Grabo-Stewart as our second line.

Old
03-26-2012, 11:02 PM
TheDroughtEndsHERE

Considering everyone here would do a better job then Burke...

All I ever see on these boards is people calling for Burke's head and how they could do a better job then him if they were Leafs GM. So, I thought it would be fun to see exactly what moves (realistically) people would do this summer to make this team competitive next season and beyond if they were actually the Leafs GM.

So list each move you would make, and why you would make it. Let's start at the draft, and we have the 6th overall pick...

1. Draft Radek Faksa (6th overall) - Faksa is a top-6 centre prospect who is already 6'3 and 205 lbs. Great shot, great passing ability, great 200 foot game, this kid is going to be a stud. With all the terrible luck we've had with drafting the last decade or so, let's pick the sure thing here (No Russian factor here either, as would be the case with some of the other top prospects)

2. Trade Macarthur for a 2nd round pick, use both 2nd round picks to get a late 1st rounder and draft Tom Wilson - Wilson is projected to be a great 3rd liner, and is going to be a royal pain in the ass for other NHL players in the near future. Great depth guy to have, will come in very handy in the playoffs. Nice mix of size and skill.

3. Re-sign Franson to a 2 year/2.4million deal, Kulemin 2 year/5mil deal - Both great young kids with very high upsides

4. July 1st: Sign Gaustad to a 3 year/9.3-9.6 million - Everything we're missing. Great 3rd liner who's tough, great faceoff man and great PKer.

5. Sign Vokoun 2 year/7million deal - Good goalie who can be a steady influence with Reimer. Short term, rewards outweigh risks. If Vokoun is unavailable, offer Harding same deal.

6. Sign Schultz to a 3 year deal. Not sure what he will get, but we have an advantage signing him because of his close friendship with Gardner and because Burke drafted him. Another stud in the making.

7. Trade Schenn, Bozak, Lombardi for Stastny - My big move of the summer, I'm trading the once "future captain" Schenn (who at 22 can easily still become an elite shutdown D-man, but needs a change of scenery) along with a good 3rd line centre and a possibly another good 3rd liner for that young, top-6, pass first, 200 foot centre we've been trying to get for 4 years now. Toronto does it for obvious reasons, Colorodo does it because 6.7 is to much for a cap team to pay their 2nd line centre, plus they need a very physical young d-man badly. Also, Lombardi and Bozak come off the books next summer and they can let them walk if they so choose, so they'll be saving $ in the near future.

8. Trade Connolly and Komisarek for whatever you can. If not, put them in the minors. I'm so sick of these guy's they're a disgrace.

Lupul - Stastny - Kessel
Kadri - Grabovski - Kulemin
Frattin - Gaustad - Armstrong
Brown - Steckel - Rosehill
Faksa/Colborne/Ashton

Gunnarsonn - Phanuef
Gardner - Schultz
Liles - Franson
Holzer

Vokoun/Harding
Reimer

So, that would be my plan if I was Burke this summer, what's yours, Leaf Nation?

Old
03-26-2012, 11:09 PM
TasteLikeBurning
The Tank Cometh

Bottom out for the next few years build up a core, and then sign FAs to fill out roster. Only keep players that have a future with the team in a few years. Under this model Kessel would not want to stay so trade him for futures. When we have a solid core top free agents will want to play here again. Games will be unbearable to watch the first few years, but that has already been the case with Burke at the helm. We've tried every single method to build a team, but a full rebuild. If every method has been wrong a full rebuild would have to be right.

Old
03-26-2012, 11:38 PM
Kesselmania

Originally posted in last thread right before it reached limit...

To Toronto- Anze Kopitar, Brad Richardson
To LA Kings- Phil Kessel, Luke Schenn, 2nd round pick (2013)

Buy out/Waive/Minors.. Armstrong, Connolly

Sign Zach Parise... 8.5 million over the next 8 years (overpayment only way he comes to Toronto)

Sign Tomas Vokoun 2 million over next 2 years (having a bad year, still good price for decent veteran)

Draft best player available, don't draft on needs...(Judging by the way we're playing drafting probably anywhere 4th-8th overall)

Lineup

Parise Kopitar Lupul
Kadri Grabovski Frattin
Kulemin Lombardi MaCarthur
Brown Steckel Rosehill

Phaneuf Gunnarsson
Gardiner Franson
Liles Komisarek

Vokoun/Reimer

extras: Richardson, Holzer, Blacker

Leafs with two franchise players (Kopitar/Parise), and a veteran goalie. Pipedream but I think the values fair both on the Parise signing and Kopitar deal.

Old
03-27-2012, 12:34 AM
Ricky Bobby

Next year will be another tough year for the Leafs. But the following year we really could be like the Hawks the year before they won the cup (yes, we need some luck though like they got with drafting Toews at 3 behind Johnson and Staal than winning the lottery the following year and getting Kane).

Anyways my moves:

-Draft high (ideally a center but best player available is always the best route)

-Sign Schultz. Plan on him starting the year in the A though

-Don't sign any more UFAs to multi year deals (we shouldn't be overpaying for guys like Gaustad, Stoll, Hudler when we have multiple candidates in Frattin, Ashton, Biggs, Colborne, Ross by 2013-14 season to fill those rosters spots at a fraction of the cost not to mention Kulemin who hopefully gets pushed down to a 3rd line role behind Kessel/Lupul/Kadri and acquired power forward like a JVR or Stewart. Let the mid-talent UFA guys get overpaid somewhere else. Kick the tires on Parise and Suter. They aren't signing here though. Why the heck would they?

-Get rid of Gus. Overpay a goalie on a short term deal (Vokoun being the top option)

With Phaneuf, Gardiner, Schultz (assuming we sign him), Gunnarson, Schenn, Liles all realistically being 20+ minute dmen in two season there is only so many minutes to go around. Not to mention we still have Komi, Franson, Blacker, Percy, Holzer as bottom pairing options.
-Look into trading Gunnarson or Schenn for a power forward winger (JVR) or top center (Statsny). No, this doens't mean I want Gunnar or Schenn gone but you do have to give quality to get quality. The power forward winger seems more realistic so assuming we did get someone like a JVR, CMac needs to be heading out the door to open a roster spot (he might need to anyways to open up minutes for Kadri on the powerplay and on a scoring line)

Last edited by Ricky Bobby: 03-27-2012 at 12:42 AM. Reason: .
Old
03-27-2012, 12:40 AM
MorriPage

Well, if ever there was a year to tank right to the bottom, it's next season, with Nathan "Crosby Jr." MacKinnon widely expected to be the runaway #1 overall pick. Also, as added insurance, Burke should trade NOW for Columbus' 2013 first round pick. Pretty much guarantees Toronto will have the #1 overall selection.

Old
03-27-2012, 01:53 AM
binop7

If the we are able to draft a quality C (Galchenyuk/Grigorenko) and sign schultz. Trade for Bobby Ryan, this kid has got the goods and elite talent. Would love Getzlaf, but gotta think Ryan would cost less.

Old
03-27-2012, 08:30 AM
hdtrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by binop7 View Post
If the we are able to draft a quality C (Galchenyuk/Grigorenko) and sign schultz. Trade for Bobby Ryan, this kid has got the goods and elite talent. Would love Getzlaf, but gotta think Ryan would cost less.
I'd take a long hard look at Bobby Ryan in the summer. If any of the big 3 are moving, it's got to be him.

That said, I don't think Toronto would have enough to grab him. Plus signing Schultz may sour Anaheim on Burke a little bit.

Old
03-27-2012, 08:54 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don Draper View Post
I'd take a long hard look at Bobby Ryan in the summer. If any of the big 3 are moving, it's got to be him.

That said, I don't think Toronto would have enough to grab him. Plus signing Schultz may sour Anaheim on Burke a little bit.
it really shouldn't. i mean he hit FA we took a shot at him and won it.

Regardless wasn't there rumours of carlyle and ryan not getting along?

03-27-2012, 09:11 AM
Johny Drama

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDroughtEndsHERE View Post
All I ever see on these boards is people calling for Burke's head and how they could do a better job then him if they were Leafs GM. So, I thought it would be fun to see exactly what moves (realistically) people would do this summer to make this team competitive next season and beyond if they were actually the Leafs GM.

So, that would be my plan if I was Burke this summer, what's yours, Leaf Nation?
I like your moves except for the Stastny one, not a big fan of his for that big salary.

At draft:
Trade Schenn for Tampa's first, draft Faksa and Forsberg. Two big forwards for the future with skill.
Move Macarthur for a 2nd and prospect: With two 2nd's take Dansk (big swedish netminder) and Dalton Thrower (tough hard-hitting defenceman).

FA:
Sign Schultz to replace Schenn, and sign Gaustad. 3-3.5 million cap hit.
Sign veteran goalie: Vokoun or Biron would be first choices

Find a way to get rid of: Komisarek, Armstrong and Lombardi

Trades:
Look to acquire Nash and use Kessel as bait.

Still leaves hole down the middle, but now we could have Kadri, Colborne and Faksa ready to fill the spot in the future.

Old
03-27-2012, 09:19 AM
aingefan

If the pick is in he 8-10 range, I wouldn't be surprised to hear Burke kick the tires on moving the pick (with a defenceman or another asset) for another team's prospect who's closer to being ready.

Not sure who or what team, but for example, with the Isles needing Dmen, I wouldn't be surprised to see something like Strome for the pick and a D-man - though I'd imagine he's pretty close to untouchable. Something along those lines.

Old
03-27-2012, 10:26 AM
John-Eric Iannicello

Bob McKenzie tweeted that a few NCAA college UFA's could sign soon.

One name, Spencer Abbott, has been linked to the Maple Leafs:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...bbott-eyes-nhl

Quote:
By staying in college for his full four years, the undrafted Hamilton native may have given himself his best chance at making the NHL, according to a study that shows four-year college players are more successful long-term than those who turn pro early.

Certainly, the 23-year-old left winger is going to have at least half the teams in the NHL lining up to sign him once the season ends for the Maine Black Bears.

“I think I’ve really developed as a player in my four years there,” said Abbott, citing the Maple Leafs as his favourite team and Doug Gilmour and Pavel Datsyuk as his favourite players. “Every year, I’ve learned something new. This year has obviously been a special one for me.”

Abbott, whose status is questionable for Maine’s opening game Saturday against Minnesota Duluth in the Northeast Regional tournament in Worcester, Mass., due to a concussion, resisted the temptation to leave the University of Maine early when the pros started sniffing around last season.

It paid off. He had his best season offensively and was named this week one of 10 finalists for the Hobey Baker Award that goes annually to the top player in U.S. college hockey.

Too small to play major junior, Abbott played Junior A with the Hamilton Red Wings. He had a late growth spurt to reach 5-foot-10 and 175 pounds. He was an alternate captain on the Black Bears.

Abbott’s offensive numbers rose each year with Maine — he led the team in scoring this year with 61 points (20 goals, 41 assists). He believes he’s ready for the NHL.

“When I came into this league, I was more of an offensive guy. I’ve been trying really hard to get better on the other side of the puck, defensively. It’s tough to do, especially at the next level. I hope to be a two-way player.”

Abbott worked out last summer with Gary Roberts at his high performance training institute and the plan is to go back this summer to get ready for life in the pros.

“Speed, skill and strength is what I’ve been trying to implement in my game. I’ve been working hard in the off-season. (I’ve got to) put on more weight, get faster, bigger, stronger. I think I’ve done that consecutive years.”
Here's a read on him from HF's annual Top NCAA Free Agent article:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._nhl_interest/

Quote:
Spencer Abbott leads the nation in both points (56) and assists (37). And not surprisingly, he has become one of the top candidate's for this year's Hobey Baker Award as well. In addition to his point production, Abbott's quickness and game-changing ability are among the assets that have put him squarely on the NHL radar. One team that has reportedly paid close attention to Abbott's development at Maine this season is the Toronto Maple Leafs.

At 5'10, 175 lbs, Abbott is not a big player in college hockey, but he has become a big-time player. The attribute that has allowed Abbott to thrive is his tremendous quickness. He can move pucks quickly and dart almost seamlessly through traffic. Abbott's great vision and sense of anticipation can be seen in his transitioning and his innate ability to set up and finish plays, including his own. Like his top line predecessor, Gustav Nyquist (DET), Abbott is quite adept at playing both wings.

Another attribute that makes Abbott so dangerous is how he uses his speed. He's quick to getting to loose pucks. His ability to get up to speed quickly allows him to often beat opposing players to and get set up in prime scoring areas. What NHL scouts are discovering with Abbott is that makes things happen whenever he's on the ice and he can be a game-changer too.

Old
03-27-2012, 10:46 AM
aingefan

Thanks for the post John. This makes at least five UFA prospects reported on the Leaf's radar at various points - Abbott, DeKeyser, that kid that plays C who came to camp on an invite last year, Schulz, and Eriksson.

Given the influx of similar level players, and at positions of relative depth, it suggests that adding more free agents could signal some multi-player deals over the off-season.

Old
03-27-2012, 10:53 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

as of now i see:

lupul ----- kessel
kadri colborne ashton
frattin grabovsky kulemin
steckel ----- -----

gunnarsson phaneuf
gardiner franson
liles schenn

-----
reimer

anyone not on that list goes
including bozak and mccarthur
who are decent but we have enough 2nd/3rd line players

kadri replaces mccarthur
colborne replaces bozak, we need more size
kadri moves to center if a center gets hurt

priorities:
#1 center with size
#1 goalie
4th line goon
4th line defensive center with size

Old
03-27-2012, 11:00 AM
John-Eric Iannicello

Quote:
Originally Posted by aingefan View Post
Thanks for the post John. This makes at least five UFA prospects reported on the Leaf's radar at various points - Abbott, DeKeyser, that kid that plays C who came to camp on an invite last year, Schulz, and Eriksson.

Given the influx of similar level players, and at positions of relative depth, it suggests that adding more free agents could signal some multi-player deals over the off-season.
This is sort of what I think Burke has been moving towards while he's been here.

Getting the pro prospect depth (and junior depth) ramped up a bit so that if they do make a move where they trade 2 maybe 3 players/prospects in a deal the hit isn't as detrimental to the system. Let's not forget the potential additions of our own prospects to pros next season - and there are only so many spots on the team.

Adding another top pick in this draft will only help the depth. That is, if he keeps it

Old
03-27-2012, 11:04 AM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
it really shouldn't. i mean he hit FA we took a shot at him and won it.

Regardless wasn't there rumours of carlyle and ryan not getting along?
How funny would it be if we signed Schultz only to trade him back to the ducks as a part for Ryan?

Teams both get a player they want, and Schultz gets this chicken **** dance thrown back in his face

Old
03-27-2012, 11:05 AM
aingefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
This is sort of what I think Burke has been moving towards while he's been here.

Getting the pro prospect depth (and junior depth) ramped up a bit so that if they do make a move where they trade 2 maybe 3 players/prospects in a deal the hit isn't as detrimental to the system. Let's not forget the potential additions of our own prospects to pros next season - and there are only so many spots on the team.

Adding another top pick in this draft will only help the depth. That is, if he keeps it
This is the best approach when you have multiple "good" assets and few "great ones". Most should have good enough value to be helpful in tipping the scales on a deal and that are sensible to move AND be replaced....Scrivens for one (he's about as ready as he's gonna ever be), some of the wingers (clogged up on the Leafs and should be on the Marlies next year), a bunch of the defencemen (someone seems likely to move, it's much easier if you have a Schulz or a DeKeyser coming in).

Old
03-27-2012, 11:11 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post

Its a good way to stock up with talent in our team for sure.

Thanks for the link I see now why the other poster said we were after spencer abott.

Closed Thread