Notices

WE NEED A BODYBAG OVER HERE Jets lose to the Sens 6-4

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2012, 09:19 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Lastly, and I know I've rambled on a bit here re; Ribeiro, but truthfully I am not a HUGE Ribeiro fan, but I also can't help but think his offensive game would help us, especially down the middle.

Signing a top 6 UFA? Good luck, this is one dry crop of legitimate top 6 UFA's. I think trading for one is the route we may go *if* we do acquire such a player. Looking around the league, it's safe to say I don't think too many top 6 players are available (then again, what do I really know?) but if I had to guess, given what we heard at the trade deadline, I would say Mike Ribeiro is a likely chip to be traded. Would Dallas want a soon to be UFA in return? perhaps not. Perhaps they want a young piece or two, who knows.

It's a slim, dry market in both UFA and trades, I feel. Everyone wants the same thing these days. So many teams want a top 6 forward.

It's gunna be a tough offseason, I think.

03-27-2012, 09:25 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
That's true, good points.

Maybe instead of worrying about the age, I should have said a guy with more years on his contract?

But regarding a possible trade involving Enstrom and him being a UFA, I always think back to the Burns trade. He only had 1 year left in his deal and he returned Setoguchi (top 6 forward), Coyle (Bluchip prospect), and a 1st (with a 2nd going to San Jose).

Something like that would be good as well.
Ya, I'd love someone signed long-term or for a couple/few years as well, certainly that would be ideal. I suppose we'll have to wait and see what the trade market offers. Anything could happen. If a team trades for Bobby Ryan, they may need to deal someone. If a team trades for Rick Nash, they may have to deal someone. If SJ fails to make the playoffs, or do and get bounced in the 1st round, they may want to move Marleau, etc. Lots can happen. Getzlaf and Perry have one more year before they are UFA, in my opinion I do not see them re-signing long term in Anaheim, and I think this offseason is a grand time to trade them and get a rich, rich, rich return. Especially with such a weak UFA market. Anaheim could likely make a killing dealing those two.

I'd love to get a deal like Burns, but I don't feel Enstrom would do it. Perhaps if he had another 50-60 point season, but I just don't know if Enstrom really has the pedigree to garner that sort of return. Burns has been pretty highly touted his entire career, former 20th overall pick in the great 2003 draft, a whopping 6'5 230lbs, etc.

Not trying to pick it apart, but I think Burns has that "pedigree" pretty well any team in the league would love to acquire. Not so sure Enstrom brings that sort of return. I could definitely be wrong though.

Old
03-27-2012, 09:40 AM
Howard Chuck
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleGuy View Post
heres the deal for me - Buff doesn't panic with the puck. I see him making far more precise and solid breakout passes. I don't see him scrambling around in our end nearly as much as Enstrom, and I'm not just talking about the last couple of games. If he gets the puck on his stick in our zone, chances are he's going to move it forward. If Enstrom does, chances are he's going to rotate around a couple times, maybe drop it behind the net, or try and pass it but whiff the thing.

Buffs not a stay at homer. Does he get caught on occasion? Sure. I think he needs to be paired with a big grinder, not a little guy like Enstrom...
Same opinion here.....When the puck is dumped into our end and I see Buff going for it, I feel some relief. He's calm and big enough to fight off forecheckers and usually calmly finds a great outlet pass. Toby, while a very good player in general, has to spend way too much time avoiding being ridden off the puck.

I like Bogo's game and liked Clitsome's game for the same reasons. You simply have to be big enough to handle the incoming pressure.

Old
03-27-2012, 09:48 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Ya, I'd love someone signed long-term or for a couple/few years as well, certainly that would be ideal. I suppose we'll have to wait and see what the trade market offers. Anything could happen. If a team trades for Bobby Ryan, they may need to deal someone. If a team trades for Rick Nash, they may have to deal someone. If SJ fails to make the playoffs, or do and get bounced in the 1st round, they may want to move Marleau, etc. Lots can happen. Getzlaf and Perry have one more year before they are UFA, in my opinion I do not see them re-signing long term in Anaheim, and I think this offseason is a grand time to trade them and get a rich, rich, rich return. Especially with such a weak UFA market. Anaheim could likely make a killing dealing those two.

I'd love to get a deal like Burns, but I don't feel Enstrom would do it. Perhaps if he had another 50-60 point season, but I just don't know if Enstrom really has the pedigree to garner that sort of return. Burns has been pretty highly touted his entire career, former 20th overall pick in the great 2003 draft, a whopping 6'5 230lbs, etc.

Not trying to pick it apart, but I think Burns has that "pedigree" pretty well any team in the league would love to acquire. Not so sure Enstrom brings that return.
I agree that if some of those big names are dealt, that there could be a trickledown affect. Might be an opportunity there, we will have to wait and see.

Regarding Burns and Enstrom, you are right that Burns was highly touted.

But, when Burns was traded he was a 1 time all-star and played in 3 World Championships. Enstrom is also a 1 time all-star and has played in 2 world championships and the Olympics. It's tough to value those as players can be in the playoffs and not be able to play in them etc, but I thought I would throw it out there.

Also, when Burns was traded here were his stats:

Games - 455
Goals - 55
Assists - 128
Points - 183

If Enstrom doesn't get another point this year he will be:

Games - 380
Goals - 31
Assists - 170
Points - 201

Enstrom has outproduced Burns in 75 less games. Burns is bigger and tougher for sure, but Burns's stats are also inflated a bit because he played forward at times for Minnesota.

Anyway, I'm not trying to make this a Burns and Enstrom thread, just was looking at the stats and wanted to post it.

Back to Enstrom, if I was thinking of the TYPE of team that would be interested in him it would be:

A) A team close to contending
B) Is possibly losing some key defensemen to UFA
C) Has depth in the NHL and in regards to prospects to make the deal

Two teams that spring to mind and the Wings and Flyers. The Wings may lose Lindstrom and Stuart this year. They also have a tonne of young players as well as depth. The Flyers may lose Carle, Kubina, and Grossman and I don't know the long term status of Pronger.

I'm just thinking out loud that those might be the TYPES of teams that would be interested.

Old
03-27-2012, 09:58 AM
New Jets
Jets fan since '79

vCash: 500
This may not be so much as a reflection on these players individual skills - but as a collective there needs to be a shakeup.

With that I propose the following players be removed from the lineup (through trade or whatever means) prior to the start of the 12-13 season:

Enstrom
Jones
Little
Burmistrov
Mittens
Stapleton

The makeup of the team needs to change.

Old
03-27-2012, 10:09 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I agree that if some of those big names are dealt, that there could be a trickledown affect. Might be an opportunity there, we will have to wait and see.

Regarding Burns and Enstrom, you are right that Burns was highly touted.

But, when Burns was traded he was a 1 time all-star and played in 3 World Championships. Enstrom is also a 1 time all-star and has played in 2 world championships and the Olympics. It's tough to value those as players can be in the playoffs and not be able to play in them etc, but I thought I would throw it out there.

Also, when Burns was traded here were his stats:

Games - 455
Goals - 55
Assists - 128
Points - 183

If Enstrom doesn't get another point this year he will be:

Games - 380
Goals - 31
Assists - 170
Points - 201

Enstrom has outproduced Burns in 75 less games. Burns is bigger and tougher for sure, but Burns's stats are also inflated a bit because he played forward at times for Minnesota.

Anyway, I'm not trying to make this a Burns and Enstrom thread, just was looking at the stats and wanted to post it.

Back to Enstrom, if I was thinking of the TYPE of team that would be interested in him it would be:

A) A team close to contending
B) Is possibly losing some key defensemen to UFA
C) Has depth in the NHL and in regards to prospects to make the deal

Two teams that spring to mind and the Wings and Flyers. The Wings may lose Lindstrom and Stuart this year. They also have a tonne of young players as well as depth. The Flyers may lose Carle, Kubina, and Grossman and I don't know the long term status of Pronger.

I'm just thinking out loud that those might be the TYPES of teams that would be interested.
All good points on Burns/Enstrom, Huffer. I still find Burns to be the more attractive, all-around piece, but your points are valid, certainly.

I think you nailed it in regards to which teams may show interest. Nice analysis there. I should also remind myself, puck moving defenseman were once upon a time a premium piece, and they don't grow on trees, not the good ones. If a team believes in Toby to be the legit 50-60 point guy he has shown he can be, the price may very well be high. Perhaps there is a team out there willing to give a nice piece for Enstrom.

Come on teams, surprise me.

Old
03-27-2012, 10:20 AM
jamiebez

Man, people are burning it down pretty quickly. I guess that's what happens in a thread with "BODYBAG" in the title.

I'm not anticipating we'll see a big trade or UFA signing from the Jets at all this summer. It's not the organization's MO, and I think it's just armchair general-managering (which I'm guilty of too) to suggest otherwise.

Likely bet is they'll try and fill out the third line with a UFA (which Chevy tried to do with both Fehr and Miettinen) and hope that between Machacek, Maxwell, Klingberg, Telegin, Postma and Kulda they can fill out the rest of the roster and improve from within.

Who knows - that could be good enough to get us into the playoffs next year? It's not a contending team, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

Old
03-27-2012, 10:25 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
I tend to try to look at things from a “big picture” perspective. The fact of the matter is that the season was lost in the first month when the Jets struggled out of the gate; their position currently in the standings is directly attributable to that. It occurred though because of relocation, due having to move and play in a new city and country all the while dealing with the noise that came with being the ”new” Canadian team. Can’t blame them for the poor start, IMO; if they’d gone .500 at that point they’d be in the hunt today though.

They’ve actually done an admirable job to make it competitive for the balance of the year given that they've been behind the line right from the start, though clearly their collars are getting a bit tight now and that is also to be expected. Judging by the negative tone of some of the posts here of late... apparently some of you were expecting some sort of a Cinderella run in year one.

Old
03-27-2012, 10:30 AM
Rheged
JMFT

Someone tell me who is going to play Enstrom's 24 minutes a night?

Seriously, trading Enstrom is a no win situation right now unless they're planning on signing Ryan Suter to replace him.

Old
03-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebez View Post
Man, people are burning it down pretty quickly. I guess that's what happens in a thread with "BODYBAG" in the title.

I'm not anticipating we'll see a big trade or UFA signing from the Jets at all this summer. It's not the organization's MO, and I think it's just armchair general-managering (which I'm guilty of too) to suggest otherwise.

Likely bet is they'll try and fill out the third line with a UFA (which Chevy tried to do with both Fehr and Miettinen) and hope that between Machacek, Maxwell, Klingberg, Telegin, Postma and Kulda they can fill out the rest of the roster and improve from within.

Who knows - that could be good enough to get us into the playoffs next year? It's not a contending team, but Rome wasn't built in a day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
I tend to try to look at things from a “big picture” perspective. The fact of the matter is that the season was lost in the first month when the Jets struggled out of the gate; their position currently in the standings is directly attributable to that. It occurred though because of relocation, due having to move and play in a new city and country all the while dealing with the noise that came with being the ”new” Canadian team. Can’t blame them for the poor start, IMO; if they’d gone .500 at that point they’d be in the hunt today though.

They’ve actually done an admirable job to make it competitive for the balance of the year given that they've been behind the line right from the start, though clearly their collars are getting a bit tight now and that is also to be expected. Judging by the negative tone of some of the posts here of late... apparently some of you were expecting some sort of a Cinderella run in year one.
I agree with both of you. I don't think we are going to see any big moves, and I think TNSE has done a fantastic job so far.

The Enstrom talk from me stems less from a desire to see him gone, and more in line with my golden rule of not losing quality assets for nothing. (Plus just the fun of talking trades and pretending to be GM's )

Old
03-27-2012, 10:47 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheged View Post

Seriously, trading Enstrom is a no win situation right now unless they're planning on signing Ryan Suter to replace him.
In my scenario it is Barret Jackman. I would much rather rely on Jackman to play 22-24 minutes a night with Byfuglien than I would Enstrom.

I would also much rather a defenseman like Barret Jackman to play in our top 4 period. We need a guy like that, in my opinion. Steady, tough, physical, reliable, can log those minutes.

It's not a no-win situation by any means, in my opinion. Now of course Chevy would have to make sure he could replace Enstrom before deadling him, but that's his job as the GM. This is a possible scenario, in my opinion. *If* we could sign a defenseman such as Barret Jackman off the UFA market, I think it certainly would open up the door in trading Enstrom for a quality top 6 forward.

One may look at Jackman's numbers and say "he's only averaging 20:41 a game", and that is correct, but he also gets no PP time, where as Enstrom does. I'd just let Byfuglien, Bogosian, Hainsey and Clitsome occupy the PP minutes from our defensemans standpoint.

Jackman averages 17:15 per game at even strength, and 3:23 shorthanded.

Enstrom averages 19:23 per game at even strength, 1:06 shorthanded and 3:21 on the PP.

I feel pretty confident Jackman could replace Enstrom's even strength minutes and give us quality PK time. While Jackman does average less time at even strength, it's likely because he is heavily relied upon to play those tough and grueling PK minutes. Playing the PP is a lot easier, less wear and tear than the PK.

I think we need a top pairing/top 4 defensive presence in the form of Barret Jackman. Just my opinion, of course.

Old
03-27-2012, 10:59 AM
Rheged
JMFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
In my scenario it is Barret Jackman. I would much rather rely on Jackman to play 22-24 minutes a night with Byfuglien than I would Enstrom.

I would also much rather a defenseman like Barret Jackman to play in our top 4 period. We need a guy like that, in my opinion. Steady, tough, physical, reliable, can log those minutes.

It's not a no-win situation by any means, in my opinion. Now of course Chevy would have to make sure he could replace Enstrom before deadling him, but that's his job as the GM. This is a possible scenario, in my opinion. *If* we could sign a defenseman such as Barret Jackman off the UFA market, I think it certainly would open up the door in trading Enstrom for a quality top 6 forward.

One may look at Jackman's numbers and say "he's only averaging 20:41 a game", and that is correct, but he also gets no PP time, where as Enstrom does. I'd just let Byfuglien, Bogosian, Hainsey and Clitsome occupy the PP minutes from our defensemans standpoint.

Jackman averages 17:15 per game at even strength, and 3:23 shorthanded.

Enstrom averages 19:23 per game at even strength, 1:06 shorthanded and 3:21 on the PP.

I feel pretty confident Jackman could replace Enstrom's even strength minutes and give us quality PK time. While Jackman does average less time at even strength, it's likely because he is heavily relied upon to play those tough and grueling PK minutes. Playing the PP is a lot easier, less wear and tear than the PK.

I think we need a top pairing/top 4 defensive presence in the form of Barret Jackman. Just my opinion, of course.
That's a good answer, Jackman would be an awesome add to our Top-4, big steady left hander to play with Byfuglien. I would still only be looking to trade Enstrom if there are indications he's not likely to re-sign though.

Jackman-Byfuglien
Enstrom-Bogosian
Hainsey-Stuart

I like that a lot.

Old
03-27-2012, 11:00 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
I agree with both of you. I don't think we are going to see any big moves, and I think TNSE has done a fantastic job so far.

The Enstrom talk from me stems less from a desire to see him gone, and more in line with my golden rule of not losing quality assets for nothing. (Plus just the fun of talking trades and pretending to be GM's )
Well, I disagree about Enstrom specifically, and in fact hope we will see big moves.

It is difficult to imagine for example building a physically competitive team when icing a squad that features a soft (and arguably the smallest d-man in the league) in the #1 pairing.

Rather than fret about the current, I’m just looking forward to a competitive future. Many have occasionally posted potential line-ups for next season but I hope those will all read incorrectly in the end, each and every one of them. Think of it this way; the new ownership employed a “new broom sweeps clean” management style with the Thrashers staff, and hopefully their own managers now in place have a plan to near essentially do the same with the team. I hope the intermediate term plan is keep a few of the young core intact (Pavelec, Kane, Bogosian, Wheeler, Ladd, Little) and retool the balance of the team over the next two years or so.

Their organizational weaknesses at current are located up front and they are also too small and are not nearly physical enough. Sign a few complimentary UFA players (Gaustad for example is a perfect fit given that he is from Fargo) while maintaining the prospect assets and picks and build from there. Give a guy like Cormier his chance to move up from the farm. There are also current roster assets that can be moved for help up front - Enstrom for example.

I’m just looking forward to the day when the roster no longer resembles the Thrashers. I’m looking forward to the draft, to competitive training camps down the line. No reason to fret over the end result of season one in the standings. The season has been a rousing success due that we now have a team to concern ourselves with going forward. The end of season one actually now just marks the beginning of the process of building the Winnipeg Jets.

Old
03-27-2012, 11:05 AM
IMckay

I think this season comes down to a couple of bad spots in the season. If we have a better October next year, we're in the playoffs. Even if we still have a crappy January ;P

With the trade Enstrom talk, I have trouble figuring out where I stand. I think we haven't seen the best of what he can offer, so his value is at a low for him. I also think if we give him up only to see him turn into that guy for another team we'll be really sorry. He was injured for a significant period of time this season, so maybe it's possible he couldn't find the groove here because of that. It was his first significant injury of his career. That being said, if he's a guy that isn't performing in our system and looks uncomfortable, it's pretty likely he won't want to resign here. In that case I'd rather get something for him obviously.

All I know is that Chevy has a really tough job. Either way he goes RE Enstrom will be a toss up and can come back to haunt him

Old
03-27-2012, 11:14 AM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Quote:
Well, I disagree about Enstrom specifically, and in fact hope we will see big moves.

It is difficult to imagine for example building a physically competitive team when icing a squad that features a soft (and arguably the smallest d-man in the league) in the #1 pairing.

Rather than fret about the current, I’m just looking forward to a competitive future. Many have occasionally posted potential line-ups for next season but I hope those will all read incorrectly in the end, each and every one of them. Think of it this way; the new ownership employed a “new broom sweeps clean” management style with the Thrashers staff, and hopefully their own managers now in place have a plan to near essentially do the same with the team. I hope the intermediate term plan is keep a few of the young core intact (Pavelec, Kane, Bogosian, Wheeler, Ladd, Little) and retool the balance of the team over the next two years or so.

Their organizational weaknesses at current are located up front and they are also too small and are not nearly physical enough. Sign a few complimentary UFA players (Gaustad for example is a perfect fit given that he is from Fargo) while maintaining the prospect assets and picks and build from there. Give a guy like Cormier his chance to move up from the farm. There are also current roster assets that can be moved for help up front - Enstrom for example.

I’m just looking forward to the day when the roster no longer resembles the Thrashers. I’m looking forward to the draft, to competitive training camps down the line. No reason to fret over the end result of season one in the standings. The season has been a rousing success due that we now have a team to concern ourselves with going forward. The end of season one actually now just marks the beginning of the process of building the Winnipeg Jets.

i agree x2 , looking forward to the Jets building there own identity which hopefully consists of a winning culture

Old
03-27-2012, 11:15 AM
bodybreak
We're Back!

Must sign Semin or Parise.

Old
03-27-2012, 11:17 AM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybreak View Post
Must sign Semin or Parise.
man if the Jets signed Semin i would be pretty pissed, isnt he a pretty lazy kid?

Old
03-27-2012, 11:21 AM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:

Just because someone is playing 24 minutes does not mean they are quality minutes.

The Jets are not good enough in their own zone, and Enstrom has been a big part of that problem.

Yes, part of that is his partner, but if he is an elite defenseman he needs to be able to elevate his partner. Enstrom has not done that this year.

03-27-2012, 11:24 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
That's a good answer, Jackman would be an awesome add to our Top-4, big steady left hander to play with Byfuglien. I would still only be looking to trade Enstrom if there are indications he's not likely to re-sign though.

Jackman-Byfuglien
Enstrom-Bogosian
Hainsey-Stuart

I like that a lot.
Certainly, I think that would make a fantastic defensive unit, and with Hainsey's contract up after next season, if he won't re-sign cheaper than his current deal, we would still have a very solid (I would think) top 4.

I would love this, Rheged, though I am unsure how we will upgrade our top 6 forwards, but this option would definitely be an attractive one.

Old
03-27-2012, 11:27 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetNation View Post
man if the Jets signed Semin i would be pretty pissed, isnt he a pretty lazy kid?
yeah he is
I want him no where near this team

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
Old
03-27-2012, 11:28 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Quote:

Well said.

I was commenting to my brother at the game last night, that while it was incredibly frustrating to watch the Jets make boatloads of mental errors and careless plays, even great teams fall victim to games like this. Fact is, the Jets left themselves no cushion to have an outing like this based on their prior results. Yes, I realize that does sound incredibly obvious to say. But another way of putting it is that the margins you're living on as a bubble playoff team are so incredibly thin, that it can really come down to a half dozen "push" games that can swing things in your favour.

What do I mean by a "push" game? How about losing to Columbus back in November. Blowing the lead vs. Philly in February. Giving up that late winner to Ovechkin in December. Falling apart in the last 10 minutes vs. Toronto back in October. They're games where the margin is simply too thin, where the outcome can't be attributed to talent (or lack thereof) alone.

How are these "push" games won? It's going to be different for every team obviously. And I think the answer becomes a lot more complex when you're dealing with an aging core or with a team that suffers a catastrophic slide (eg. Minnesota and Toronto). In the case of Winnipeg, I think it's relatively simple. The core is still very inexperienced, they just went through a year of major upheaval, and there still seems to be a mutual learning experience that our players are undergoing with the coaching staff and vice versa. In short; an extra year of maturation for this entire organization could be all that's needed.

I would definitely like to see some additions that would help maximize chances for next year. Specifically, an injection of size and a #1 C who can take some pressure off Burmi and Little. But at the same time, I'm not sure that the status quo is quite as bad as some might think it is.

Old
03-27-2012, 11:29 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Just because someone is playing 24 minutes does not mean they are quality minutes.

The Jets are not good enough in their own zone, and Enstrom has been a big part of that problem.

Yes, part of that is his partner, but if he is an elite defenseman he needs to be able to elevate his partner. Enstrom has not done that this year.
Thing is he was able to do that last year and do it quite well. Even after January when Buff's game was exploited, Toby was still usually the best defenseman on the ice.

So it's not as if he isn't capable of such things, it's just for some reason this season he hasn't been able to recapture that magic. Could be the new coaching and style of play, who knows.

What I do know is Toby is much better than what has been seen and the pairing with him and Buff do not play into each others strengths. Pairings need to be switched, no sense in shaking up the roster this off-season with what is going to be available imo. You put Toby back with the re-emerged Bogo and let Hainsey cover for Buff's mistakes.

Old
03-27-2012, 11:29 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Boom!

This isn't the end, it's just the beginning.

Old
03-27-2012, 11:38 AM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Thing is he was able to do that last year and do it quite well. Even after January when Buff's game was exploited, Toby was still usually the best defenseman on the ice.

So it's not as if he isn't capable of such things, it's just for some reason this season he hasn't been able to recapture that magic. Could be the new coaching and style of play, who knows.

What I do know is Toby is much better than what has been seen and the pairing with him and Buff do not play into each others strengths. Pairings need to be switched, no sense in shaking up the roster this off-season with what is going to be available imo. You put Toby back with the re-emerged Bogo and let Hainsey cover for Buff's mistakes.
Listen Lynk, no one here wants Enstrom to succeed more here than me. I was so excited to see him play night in and night out here, and we all know how hard it is to acquire or develop an elite defenseman.

I think a lot of my posts right now are just a result of some of the frustrations of this year. I sure hope that Enstrom can work on whatever was bugging him this year and rebound next year.

Old
03-27-2012, 11:38 AM
jamiebez

Quote:

I don't know, I think the team we played last night is doing a pretty good job with an even-smaller guy (Karlsson). Helps when you've got a Spezza and an Alfredsson, though

I think the hand that Chevy was dealt is that he inherited a team that was built on an "offense from the defense" philosophy - and Buff and Enstrom were the biggest parts of that. That's the philosophy the team was built on - for better or for worse.

The key decision in the off-season is: do they add to that with guys like Gaustad or even Cormier to augment things up front or do they shake it up and make a big move involving a core guy to change that philosophy?

I still think it's going to be small augmentations. Trading Enstrom is a pretty big shake-up for a (thus far) conversatively managed team.

Closed Thread