HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vancouver Sun: The Sword of Damocles is hanging over Brian Burke's head right now

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2012, 11:13 AM
diceman934
LINT must go!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morguee View Post
I'm sorry but I now just kinda laugh everytime you use that quote. At this point in time I think it will probably be on your grave stone.

And no I don't wish to debate it, that has been done many times.
It is not open for debate ....it is a fact.

Opinions are debated....facts are not.

Old
03-27-2012, 11:17 AM
Morguee

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
It is not open for debate ....it is a fact.

Opinions are debated....facts are not.
That's debatable.

Old
03-27-2012, 11:18 AM
diceman934
LINT must go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
Don't see much of those, I've seen them complain about Burke not getting them a goalie though. Gillis signed Luongo to an albatross 12 year contract and that still hasn't worked out for them. But they don't talk about their current regimes problems that much, they rather focus on other franchises GM's instead of looking in the mirror.

You mean like you and all the others on here do when the current GM /Coach etc is under attack.....yet you have no problem stating that it is JFJ fault for the state of the Leafs still after 3.5 years later.

People in glass houses!

Old
03-27-2012, 11:30 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
I believe he has been muzzled as seen by his lack of face time in the Media that he enjoys. I also believe that he will be removed of one if not both of his positions when the new owners take over.

How would firing Burke create a bigger circus then we have now? The Leafs are the circus with Burke as the ring master currently. We need a GM that can keep his lips closed and let his actions speak for himself. Answer questions with a well thought out response not a verbal tirade against the person who poses the question.....it is called self control and Burke Lacks this.

He states that he is a players GM all the while attacking players in the media is allowed by him and his coach.....some players GM he is. For Proof Google comments about Kadri.

As far as his replacement goes we have a few in house that can do the job as they have proven before or we can hire a person who is not in house currently.

Defend this!
Easy, we constantly read that Burke "traded away" the picks ignoring the fact that he currently has the best player in the deal who is still young plus he picked up good prospects like Bozak, Gardiner, and Ashton for basically nothing and got more for Kaberle as a rental than any other GM in recent memory.

You think that Burke is being muzzled but I think that there just isn't anything for him to talk about since his team isn't relevant at this point.

So Burke said that Kadri had work to do a couple of years ago, no big deal. Water under the bridge and Kadri it seems has taken the comments to heart.

Old
03-27-2012, 11:34 AM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Burke said he can do it faster than 5 years. So it is even worse.

"I'm not interested ... in a five-year rebuild like some of these teams have done," said Burke. "Maybe because of my age, maybe just because I know it doesn't have to be five years because it wasn't in Anaheim."
Ah yes, Gatorade and his famous quote.

I was challenged by diceman to prove that Burke did not say he had a five year plan during is initial press conference. (as stated in the article being discussed in this thread).

Is the quote above from the initial press conference that was referenced in the article?

Old
03-27-2012, 11:39 AM
Pilky01
I hate Dion Phanuef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Just someone else who doesn't take into account that Burke picked up guys like Lupul, Gardiner, and Bozak for nothing.

Only intelligent people like myself do.

I love mooseOAK.

Five years on and he still believes Burke knows what he is doing.

Old
03-27-2012, 11:42 AM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Sorry,that is all you have as the rest of the Press conference can be attacked.

I build from the net out....yeah....nope

My teams play "We require, as a team, proper levels of pugnacity, testosterone, truculence and belligerence. That's how our teams play," said Burke. Really...we are soft as the tissue I use in the bathroom.... Charmin!

Burke said he wanted a tough team, a big team. Thatís supposedly his trademark. Four years later, thatís not the reality. He is full of hot air!
You can attack the rest of the press conference all you want and I will agree that hasn't delivered on these statements yet.

However you still haven't backed up you claim that the writer of the article was correct in saying Burke stated there was a 5 year plan at his initial press conference.

Where is that quote?

Old
03-27-2012, 11:49 AM
hockeyfanz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post

I love mooseOAK.

Sadly..he is in the majority of fans. Look at the polls. Leafs are destined to be the joke of hockey for many years to come when fans support garbage. Give me a GM who proves his worth in wins and losses...not in soundbites and promises. You cannot give an executive in any business carte blanche without any results. Sooner or later the fathead will meet his deserved fate. On that day, the minority of Leafs nation will celebrate.

Old
03-27-2012, 11:57 AM
NewFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
Harsh but true.
Swap Kessel with Seguin and the leafs finish just as bad (or worse) and the same cals for Burke's head are there. I just hope all the pressure doesn't force his hand into doing something stupid, like trading for Nash

Old
03-27-2012, 11:58 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I love mooseOAK.

Did mooseOAK start talking about Burke as Leafs GM a year and a half before he was hired? That would be even before JFJ was fired, so I doubt it. It has not beeen five years.

Old
03-27-2012, 11:59 AM
questhockey

Vancouver should stick to Vancouver. Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg wirtite about themselves. Montreal and T.O are only team that can and should be able to write about each other due to their historic rivalry.
That said..new owners come in...Burke go bye bye.

Old
03-27-2012, 12:01 PM
DPyro

I stopped reading after the first paragraph. Burke never said he had a 5 year plan.

Old
03-27-2012, 12:04 PM
hockeyfanz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPyro View Post
I stopped reading after the first paragraph. Burke never said he had a 5 year plan.
Just because you deny it.....it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Like the pop song says..

"Just gonna stand there and watch me burn, its alright, cause I love the way you lie...I love the way you lie"

Old
03-27-2012, 12:14 PM
daveleaf

At this point right now Burke is a failure and he would call himself a failure as well. He made many grand promises when and after he took the position and has failed on most of them. He did good with the Phaneuf and Lupul deals but failed with every UFA signing and on the Kessel deal. Trading away three quality prospects for a good young player is not a good deal. He failed to realize where his team was before he made the deal, he should have thought of that on his fishing trip.

Burke laid the ground work for many things in Van but he failed with goaltending, failed with the Bertuzzi situation and over all took a veteran team no where. Burke has made a history of making one or two big deals with every organization and rests his laurels on that.

I'm not a fan of Burke and never have been but I will give him another year to work his way out of this. If he is able to land a couple top first pics in this draft, pick up a player like Shultz and get a solid young goaltender and bury the hatchet with Kadri and Cherry and put Kadri on this team where he belongs then he will have made up for this year but he will never win a cup in Toronto.

I hope Joe Niewendyk becomes available again and they find a way for him to be the GM. Toronto needs Ontario men to bring us back to a cup. Not a big mouth that just yells louder when people don't agree with him. Burke will find his way back the the NHL offices where he belongs.

Old
03-27-2012, 12:16 PM
daveleaf

Quote:
Burke said something to the effect...." I know it doesn't need to be five years because I have done it and too old for a five year plan..."

Burke is a lawyer that hides behind semantics and innuendo.

Old
03-27-2012, 12:17 PM
YogiCanucks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafidelity View Post
Do people in Vancouver enjoy reading about the Leafs? Can't say I'd care for Canucks articles in a Toronto paper.
I can't say I know from last year but if the Canucks are the only Canadian team left, with TFC and the Raptors not doing much. I imagine you'll be littered with articles about how the Canucks are or are not "CANADA'S TEAM"

Old
03-27-2012, 12:24 PM
Pilky01
I hate Dion Phanuef

Quote:
That is right. He said he wouldn't need five years.

Old
03-27-2012, 12:31 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
Ah yes, Gatorade and his famous quote.

I was challenged by diceman to prove that Burke did not say he had a five year plan during is initial press conference. (as stated in the article being discussed in this thread).

Is the quote above from the initial press conference that was referenced in the article?
Nope. Burke said this two years ago. April 2010. Same press conf where he said he expected to make the playoffs last season.

"I like the group that finished the year, I think just on internal improvement we will be better. I think we will be good enough with this group and a couple additions to say in training camp that the playoffs are a reasonable goal."

Old
03-27-2012, 12:33 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Burke said he didn't need five years.

Old
03-27-2012, 12:37 PM
galiano

I suppose the question that arises from this article is this - Is anyone really satisfied with the team after 4 years of Brian Burke being in charge ? Is the team a whole lot better than it was back then ? Is there a bright future for the Leafs ?

Old
03-27-2012, 12:50 PM
diceman934
LINT must go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
You can attack the rest of the press conference all you want and I will agree that hasn't delivered on these statements yet.

However you still haven't backed up you claim that the writer of the article was correct in saying Burke stated there was a 5 year plan at his initial press conference.

Where is that quote?
I never made that claim.....Please provide a quote where I did.

For reference he is what I said.

The Article was a scathing attack on Burke, but sadly it is all true. Carma is a ***** and it has came back to bite Burke.

The way that he treats the Media or anyone who dares questioning him is horrible. He is a legend.....in his own mind and the attacks on him is warranted.

I wrote on here several time that the new owners will not be happy with his approach and he could be gone sooner rather than later. It is easy to see that he has been muzzled recently as he has not been out and about stating horse dong.

The article gave Burke credit for his good moves but also spoke the truth and the move that has set the Leafs back several years.

I think Burke's days are numbered and do not believe that he will be the GM and President under the new ownership. I will say, do not let the door hit you where the good lord split you!

Last edited by diceman934: 03-27-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old
03-27-2012, 01:00 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 1005
The year before Chicago finally made the playoffs they didn't look much better than Edmonton or Toronto this season, glimpses of a solid team, some young prospects showing real potential. A few key additions and it is entirely possible the Leafs will make the playoffs next season and do some damage.

Old
03-27-2012, 01:08 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post
The year before Chicago finally made the playoffs they didn't look much better than Edmonton or Toronto this season, glimpses of a solid team, some young prospects showing real potential. A few key additions and it is entirely possible the Leafs will make the playoffs next season and do some damage.
The problem is that means just about anyone could come in next year, make the playoffs and do some damage if there is a gigantic step forward made. A few key additions will help just about anyone after all. The problem is if those key additions can be made.

Old
03-27-2012, 01:13 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 8400
Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post
You're right , all we need to add is a Toews / Keith / Seabrook / Sharp / Buff / Ladd among others and we're right there .

Old
03-27-2012, 01:14 PM
diceman934
LINT must go!

Quote:

I love mooseOAK.

3 and a half years on and he still believes Burke knows what he is doing.

Fixed.

Closed Thread