HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL part 4: season's starting, so let's mock everyone else

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2012, 09:14 PM
Chicago Made Punk
\-|Stay Alive|-/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Erik Cole one goal away from 35.
That's nice.

Old
04-04-2012, 09:23 PM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

Quote:
Peter Budaj one assist from 2nd overall pick

Old
04-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
Cam Ward one goal away from Scott Gomez.

Old
04-04-2012, 09:48 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Amazing year for Cole but I highly doubt he ever matches close to 35 goals ever again

Old
04-04-2012, 09:49 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by visor wearing goon View Post
Amazing year for Cole but I highly doubt he ever matches close to 35 goals ever again
how many times have people said something similar about cole?

Old
04-04-2012, 09:55 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
how many times have people said something similar about cole?
What's your point?

He had a career high in goals this year at age 33, I don't think it's too outlandish to say it's unlikely he'll ever reach ~35 goals again, especially since Cole has been a streaky player his whole career.

Old
04-04-2012, 09:58 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Can we not start the ridiculous "Oh, I miss Cole!" whinefest again?

Old
04-04-2012, 10:51 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by visor wearing goon View Post
What's your point?

He had a career high in goals this year at age 33, I don't think it's too outlandish to say it's unlikely he'll ever reach ~35 goals again, especially since Cole has been a streaky player his whole career.
hes money when hes healthy, and every time someone counts him out he proves them wrong. outside of edm, hes never been streaky when healthy. aint about missing him, its about giving credit where its due. 33 isnt over any hill. hes had 29, 30, and 26 before, 35 just isnt that big a stretch. its not like he hit 50.

not to mention the year he broke his neck he had 30 in only 60 games. if hed had 40 that year this year wouldnt stand out as much.

Last edited by bleedgreen: 04-04-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old
04-04-2012, 11:08 PM
NorthStar4Canes

Cole also has 11 PP goals, 185 or so hits, and is a +10. Too bad he's 33. Everyone knows that's the new 60. That trumps reality every time.

Last edited by NorthStar4Canes: 04-04-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old
04-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll

Quote:
hes money when hes healthy
Which isn't very often. In his entire career he's played more than 70 games only 5 times

Old
04-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi Trollinen View Post
Which isn't very often. In his entire career he's played more than 70 games only 5 times
You mean just like Tuomo Ruutu?

Old
04-05-2012, 01:21 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Exactly. Hell, I don't think TOO many would have had a problem had he signed the originally rumored 11/3yr deal with us. I firmly believe that had Montreal stuck with 12/3yrs Cole would still be here.

I know some would have had a problem with it, but they'd probably be in the minority. That said, I also doubt all but maybe the most optimistic could have seen THIS kind of season out of him this year. But you don't expect 35 goal seasons out of a guy like Cole, you expect that 25G/55-60PT season with a ******** of hits. He more then delivered there.

Old
04-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
You mean just like Tuomo Ruutu?
Ruutu's played 4 seasons of 70+ games. He's also 5 years younger.

Old
04-05-2012, 02:39 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi Trollinen View Post
Ruutu's played 4 seasons of 70+ games. He's also 5 years younger.
My point is that if you want to go way back to make a point about Cole's health, it should apply to Ruutu as well, but if you look at the two of them over the past 5 years, you'll see that they have both been relatively healthy and played in almost the same number of games. You said that Cole isn't healthy very often and I think you are overstating Cole's health problems though once he fully recovered from the broken neck and the data from the the last 5 seasons show that.

07/08: 73 games
08/09: 80 games (between EDM and CAR)
09/10: 40 games (broken leg that year)
10/11: 82 games
11/12: 82 games
Total: 357 / 410 games

In 4 of the last 5 seasons, he's only missed significant time one season and has played in 70+ games 4/5 seasons (and 80+ games 3 of those season) so to say he isn't healthy very often isn't consistent with the current data.

Ruutu:

07/08: 77 games
08/09: 79 games
09/10: 54 games
11/12: 72 games (if he plays in the last 2).
Total: 364 / 410 games

So Ruutu has played in only 7 more games than Cole over the past 5 years and has the same number of seasons with 70+ games.

I'm not saying that Carolina should have given Cole a 4 year deal at his age and it may not work out over the next 3 years in MTL, but to say Cole hasn't been healthy very often isn't consistent with his actual performance the last 5 years.

Old
04-05-2012, 02:50 PM
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll

Quote:
My point is that if you want to go way back to make a point about Cole's health, it should apply to Ruutu as well, but if you look at the two of them over the past 5 years, you'll see that they have both been relatively healthy and played in almost the same number of games. You said that Cole isn't healthy very often and I think you are overstating Cole's health problems though once he fully recovered from the broken neck and the data from the the last 5 seasons show that.

07/08: 73 games
08/09: 80 games (between EDM and CAR)
09/10: 40 games (broken leg that year)
11/12: 82 games
Total: 357 / 410 games

In 4 of the last 5 seasons, he's only missed significant time one season and has played in 70+ games 4/5 seasons (and 80+ games 3 of those season) so to say he isn't healthy very often isn't consistent with the current data.

Ruutu:

07/08: 77 games
08/09: 79 games
09/10: 54 games
11/12: 72 games (if he plays in the last 2).
Total: 364 / 410 games

So Ruutu has played in only 7 more games than Cole over the past 5 years and has the same number of seasons with 70+ games.

I'm not saying that Carolina should have given Cole a 4 year deal at his age and it may not work out over the next 3 years in MTL, but to say Cole hasn't been healthy very often isn't consistent with his actual performance the last 5 years.
Fair enough. Touché sir. I probably was overly generalizing.

Old
04-05-2012, 02:50 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

You can't really look at number of games played with regards to either player and their health concerns though.

Cole played 40 games in 09/10, but he was not useful in any of those 40 games. His recovery from the injury lasted the entire time. And his play suffered, not with regards to his speed or his physicality (things you would expect would suffer after a leg injury), but his decision making and his shot took the hardest hit.

Remember, it was that year that Cole earned a breakaway a game it seemed like. And could not bury a single one. It got to the point where the home crowd didn't even get up and cheer when Cole was on the break. Of course, he followed that with last year, where he was money on the breakaways/oddmans (especially against Atlanta). And it was thought he played so well because he had finally recovered from that leg injury.

So when we're talking about Cole's injury history, we're not only talking about the games missed, but the games he's not effective in because of a recovery from said injury. The same applies to Ruutu, of course, since I have a sneaking suspicion there's something that's being hidden this year. The guy has completely dropped off the map.

Old
04-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
So when we're talking about Cole's injury history, we're not only talking about the games missed, but the games he's not effective in because of a recovery from said injury. The same applies to Ruutu, of course, since I have a sneaking suspicion there's something that's being hidden this year. The guy has completely dropped off the map.
Fair point and as you say, it applies to both guys. That one year he did struggle with the broken leg (and that same year Ruutu struggled with his shoulder injury), but the point is still valid that he's been relatively healthy for the other 4/5 years and similar to Ruutu. Also, look at the production over those 5 years for both players:

Cole: 111 goals, 220 points.
Ruutu: 87 goals, 212 points.

It still indicates that the two guys have had similar health over the past 5 years. Almost the same number of games played, both had 1 major issue that took them out for a good chunk of the season, and both guys have almost the same number of points (although Cole scores more goals).

I wasn't saying back then that Carolina should have given Cole 4 years and the jury will be out until year 3 or 4 of that contract (and nobody thought he'd have the year he had this season). But the same goes for Ruutu though and his contract being 4 years concerns me as much as Cole's would have (even though he's younger). He needs to be a 50+ point guy playing 75+ games year in, year out for him to be worth his contract.

I could be (and hope I am) wrong, but I just have a feeling that Cole will be a more productive and healthier player than Ruutu for the next couple of years.

Old
04-05-2012, 07:01 PM
impeach estaalo

Over/under on number of games it takes for Ruutu to score 34 goals? I'm guessing 145 games.

It's going to be a terrible contract no matter how you slice it, but hopefully our coaching staff can minimize the damage by not putting Ruutu in situations he doesn't belong just because his contract says he's one of our best offensive players. In other words, not on the first powerplay unit, or on 5-on-3s, or in the last minute when we're down a goal. Ruutu scoring 30 points a season would actually be a better situation for this team than Ruutu scoring 45 points a season while sabotaging the team in the process.

Ideally Ruutu would be on the 3rd line, but this is team is built like it's 2003 so the 3rd line is the shutdown line, and of course Ruutu and his inability to play defense don't belong there.

Old
04-05-2012, 08:08 PM
VAcaniac
Meet the real Anton.

I'm praying to god the last game of the year puts the Panthers playoff hopes on the line. I could care less about Buffalo. My hatred of them is fizzled out over the last six years since we haven't really had any important games since.

It's not like Washington and Florida are going anywhere in the playoffs anyway. Personally, I enjoy watching the Caps choke every year in the playoffs.

Old
04-05-2012, 10:25 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
I wasn't saying back then that Carolina should have given Cole 4 years and the jury will be out until year 3 or 4 of that contract (and nobody thought he'd have the year he had this season). But the same goes for Ruutu though and his contract being 4 years concerns me as much as Cole's would have (even though he's younger). He needs to be a 50+ point guy playing 75+ games year in, year out for him to be worth his contract.

I could be (and hope I am) wrong, but I just have a feeling that Cole will be a more productive and healthier player than Ruutu for the next couple of years.
Oh, if I had known we were going to sign Ruutu to the contract we did, I'd have begged JR to sign Cole. If the choice was Cole on his contract or Ruutu on his, I'd take Cole's everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

Old
04-05-2012, 11:03 PM
bleedgreen

I think the point is that cole has earned his contract. We gave his money to ruutu, who is younger but just as likely to get hurt. They play similar styles but to me cole is the more explosive player in any year, but he HAS to be healthy. He's useless otherwise. Truth is if we are actually a couple of players away we needed both of them. We have the cap room and now we have maybe some more budget. Would've been nice to see cole here now playing the better style we are currently playing. It's done, he's gone. I'm just happy he's doing well, and get annoyed when canes fans try to knock him down or downplay his success.

Old
04-06-2012, 12:45 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Justin Williams is going to play all 82 games????

04-06-2012, 01:43 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Clowe trolled the Kings hard tonight

Old
04-06-2012, 07:30 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
I think the point is that cole has earned his contract. We gave his money to ruutu, who is younger but just as likely to get hurt. They play similar styles but to me cole is the more explosive player in any year, but he HAS to be healthy. He's useless otherwise. Truth is if we are actually a couple of players away we needed both of them. We have the cap room and now we have maybe some more budget. Would've been nice to see cole here now playing the better style we are currently playing. It's done, he's gone. I'm just happy he's doing well, and get annoyed when canes fans try to knock him down or downplay his success.
Well said.

Old
04-06-2012, 09:34 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Got a kick out of this comment by a Buffalo fan in the Laich/Miller thread on the main board.

Quote:
Miller did his part. He was pretty damn good tonight, on a team that iced what was essentially an AHL lineup, with 3 out of 4 top defenseman out. Just stop. His team scored 1 goal for him. Jesus Christ
Some things never change.

Closed Thread