HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Leetch

Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2004, 12:31 AM
Prucha73

vCash: 500
Leetch

Do you think we will re-sign him this summer?

Old
11-22-2004, 01:11 AM
nyr5186

As long as Sather is still running the ship, I doubt Leetch would want to sign here.

Old
11-22-2004, 01:27 AM
Prucha73

Yeah, pretty funny how Leetch never seemed to complain much about Sather, but then god forbid he trade Leetch without Leetch's approval and now Sather is terrible all of a sudden.

Old
11-22-2004, 01:59 AM
JJ68NYR

Look Sather had to do it. I love Leetch my favorite player all time and favorite rangers of all time. The guy is still phenominal at age 35 and he was gonna bring the best return and he did. He brought with him a stellar defenseman in my mind and that is Kondratiev. And he also brought Jarkko Immonen a very good young center in Finland. AND he brought back a 1st round pick that was the 24th spot which turned into a 19th pick and then into Lauri Korpikoski. So I think the deal was a win considering he will be a free agent after his last yr runs out and we can re-sign him and now have all these good prospects. I do think he would re-sign here because New York is home away from home. I mean he belongs here and I'm sure he feels that way and knows that. He still has 3 or 4 good yrs left in him. You can at least say that he traded him to a true contender.

Old
11-22-2004, 10:25 AM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha73
Yeah, pretty funny how Leetch never seemed to complain much about Sather, but then god forbid he trade Leetch without Leetch's approval and now Sather is terrible all of a sudden.
Leetch is in general a quiet person. The fact that he came out and said anything at all says quite a bit.

I'm all for trading Poti, bringing back Leetch. (Then by the time Leetch retires we'd have Jack Johnson waiting in the wings!)

Old
11-22-2004, 11:48 AM
FLYLine24*

The reason why Leetch was PISSED was because sather didnt even tell him he was trying to trade him...thats the LEAST you can do with a player who has spend his whole NHL playing time with the Rangers and a big fan favorite. Leetch was shocked when he found out and rightfully he should have been pissed. But it was the right move to trade him for youth...im not denying that. But i doubt he will resign with the Rangers unless Sather gives him a very nice xmas present. :p

Old
11-22-2004, 02:26 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
The reason why Leetch was PISSED was because sather didnt even tell him he was trying to trade him...thats the LEAST you can do with a player who has spend his whole NHL playing time with the Rangers and a big fan favorite. Leetch was shocked when he found out and rightfully he should have been pissed. But it was the right move to trade him for youth...im not denying that. But i doubt he will resign with the Rangers unless Sather gives him a very nice xmas present. :p
Obviously, Leetch should have been given enough respect to be told by Sather. BUT, Leetch would have had to be ASTRONOMICALLY introverted to not know that his name was in rumors and bandied about to many different teams. He shouldn't have, but Sather must have just supposed Brian knew. I dont see how anyone, especially someone on a team that was being gutted, could be totally surprised.

Old
11-22-2004, 02:46 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej's Dance
Obviously, Leetch should have been given enough respect to be told by Sather. BUT, Leetch would have had to be ASTRONOMICALLY introverted to not know that his name was in rumors and bandied about to many different teams. He shouldn't have, but Sather must have just supposed Brian knew. I dont see how anyone, especially someone on a team that was being gutted, could be totally surprised.
That does not explain or justify the fact that Sather didn't warn Leetch about the possiblity. Sather's actions show a complete lack of respect and basic courtesy to Leetch.

But, it was completely in character for TLB, so I guess it's OK then.

Old
11-22-2004, 02:53 PM
Prucha73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
That does not explain or justify the fact that Sather didn't warn Leetch about the possiblity. Sather's actions show a complete lack of respect and basic courtesy to Leetch.

But, it was completely in character for TLB, so I guess it's OK then.
What if Sather would tell Leetch and Leetch would run to the media like Messier did and say that he will not report to any team if he is traded? That would scare Leafs away and the trade would not go through. Why would Sather want to take that risk?

Old
11-22-2004, 02:53 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

how did leetch not see getting traded coming? come on people leetch is a pro but he isn't stupid it was talked about for 3 weeks before he got traded. Even at the time leetch said he thought it was going to be toronto or boston and talked about playing college hockey in boston. if leetch is upset about sather trading him because sather didn't warn him before hand than thats on leetch. we are the same people who want sather to treat everybody the same but keep leetch in the loop about a possible trade?

i'm happy the rangers traded leetch because they got a decent return for him and it gave leetch a really good chance to win another cup last season.

if leetch wants to hold a grudge againts sather for the way the trade went down and make that the single reason for not resigning than leetch at the same time is forgetting the huge overpaid contract sather signed him too after the 2002-2003 season.

Old
11-22-2004, 02:58 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
What if Sather would tell Leetch and Leetch would run to the media like Messier did and say that he will not report to any team if he is traded? That would scare Leafs away and the trade would not go through. Why would Sather want to take that risk?
Do you really think Leetch would do that?

Old
11-22-2004, 03:06 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Exactly.

One of the classiest and most popular members of this franchise gets traded by one of the least classy and more despised member and people think that Leetch is wrong.

Old
11-22-2004, 03:21 PM
Prucha73

Quote:
I never thought Messier would do that, so you never really know, so for Sather why take a chance and look like a complete ass if Leafs back away from a sweat deal.

Old
11-22-2004, 03:26 PM
Fletch

The guy spent 16 years...

with the organization. He never complained, from what I've heard. He was willing to play out there with any partner, young, old or indifferent, without a peep. He wouldn't complain if the Rangers were going to be rebuilding and he would be there to help out the youngsters as they went through their growing pains. He won the Conn Smythe trophy, leading the team to its only Stanley Cup in the last 64 years. He played hurt. He played hard. He is, I believe, the leading scorer among defenseman in the Rangers organization. It's not so much to ask for a trade, just let him know the organization is taking a certain route and to move forward, he needs to be moved...c-ya in a couple seasons when your contract is up and you're UFA. Simple. This is a once in some of our lifetime kind of guy. He deserves much respect from management for all the years of service he's provided to the Rangers. It's quite simple. Richter and Leetch are about the only two in the last 15 years that I would've said this should be done for them.

Old
11-22-2004, 03:29 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
with the organization. He never complained, from what I've heard. He was willing to play out there with any partner, young, old or indifferent, without a peep. He wouldn't complain if the Rangers were going to be rebuilding and he would be there to help out the youngsters as they went through their growing pains. He won the Conn Smythe trophy, leading the team to its only Stanley Cup in the last 64 years. He played hurt. He played hard. He is, I believe, the leading scorer among defenseman in the Rangers organization. It's not so much to ask for a trade, just let him know the organization is taking a certain route and to move forward, he needs to be moved...c-ya in a couple seasons when your contract is up and you're UFA. Simple. This is a once in some of our lifetime kind of guy. He deserves much respect from management for all the years of service he's provided to the Rangers. It's quite simple. Richter and Leetch are about the only two in the last 15 years that I would've said this should be done for them.

Old
11-22-2004, 03:33 PM
Prucha73

Quote:

But how can you be 100% sure he wouldn't do what Messier (the great heroic leader in any pro-sports) did when was informed that he will likely be traded?

Old
11-22-2004, 03:40 PM
Fletch

You're never 100% sure...

about anything. But, I would be 99.9% sure, and thus I'd take the chance on Leetch. The Messier situation, if you're talking about this season, was a lot different. You're talking about an in-the-prime player that's got several seasons left in him that would return something, and a guy who quite possibly no other team would take and Mess would return a fifth or six rounder at best. Those were two real, different situations.

Old
11-22-2004, 03:45 PM
NYR469

leetch knew that a trade was coming, or at the very least was extremely likely. he isn't stupid, he knew that the odds were greatly in the favor of him playing for another team within the week (the trade was about a week before the deadline)...

leetch did NOT have a problem with being traded, he had a problem with the fact that sather didn't have the respect to contact him before the deal was done.

leetch wasn't upset that he was dealt, he was upset about the fact that as a hall of famer and arguably the greatest player in franchise history he has earned the respect of a phone call and sather didn't give him that respect.

if sather had pulled him aside and said "look brian, i'm gonna have to deal you, i have no choice...blah blah blah"...maybe even go as far as saying 'look i've got potential deals with toronto, dallas, ?. i can't keep you but if you have a preference i'll do my best to send you there'...if that was done then leetch wouldn't have had a problem with it.

the deal didn't happen overnight, sather knew for days if not weeks that a deal was brewing so he could have easily given leetch a 'heads up'...

with the majority of players the gm doesn't owe them any kind of explanation and i'd laugh at them for this, but leetch is not part of that majority. leetch is one of those guys that does deserve this courtesy/respect and i think he is justified in feeling disrespected.

Old
11-22-2004, 03:46 PM
Prucha73

Quote:
about anything. But, I would be 99.9% sure, and thus I'd take the chance on Leetch. The Messier situation, if you're talking about this season, was a lot different. You're talking about an in-the-prime player that's got several seasons left in him that would return something, and a guy who quite possibly no other team would take and Mess would return a fifth or six rounder at best. Those were two real, different situations.
Messier could have brought back a 4th rounder maybe but that is not the point. Both of them are at the end of their careers basically. And why bother even taking the 0.01% chance? Just because Leetch's feelings might be hurt? This is a professional business and Leetch does not have to be notified about a trade before it happens.

Old
11-22-2004, 03:52 PM
NYR469

Quote:
This is a professional business and Leetch does not have to be notified about a trade before it happens.
ever hear of the word "respect"??

whether or not he had to be notified isn't the issue, he deserved the respect of being notified

Old
11-22-2004, 03:52 PM
Fletch

Messier's...

about 7 years older than Leetch. I would say that Messier's at the end of his career, and Leetch still has 3-5 years left. Look at other offensive defensemen, like Bourque and Macinnis, among others that guys like Leetch can play on up to 40. There's a big difference between the two.

Old
11-22-2004, 04:01 PM
Prucha73

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
ever hear of the word "respect"??

whether or not he had to be notified isn't the issue, he deserved the respect of being notified

Sather was never known as one of the classiest or nicest guys. I don't know what did Leetch expect? I can understand him being upset if Neil Smith didn't inform him of a trade. And ever heard of "equality" or "no special treatment"?--almost no player ever gets notified before the trade that he will be traded and to what team.

Old
11-22-2004, 04:03 PM
Prucha73

Quote:
about 7 years older than Leetch. I would say that Messier's at the end of his career, and Leetch still has 3-5 years left. Look at other offensive defensemen, like Bourque and Macinnis, among others that guys like Leetch can play on up to 40. There's a big difference between the two.
With his ankles I doubt it, I don't think he will play for more than 3 seasons.

Old
11-22-2004, 04:15 PM
True Blue

Quote:
With his ankles I doubt it, I don't think he will play for more than 3 seasons.
Are you Dr. Prucha? Leetch has shown that he is still capable of playing at a very high level. There is no reason that he cannot play until he is 40. Much like Chellios or Bourque. He is every bit the players they are, if not more. When all is said and done, Leetchie is going down in history as the greatest American-born defenseman. He practically carried the Rangers several years ago when the Islanders were trying to give a playoff spot away.

"And ever heard of "equality" or "no special treatment"?"

Ever hear that some players are different? Do you think that Boston would have had the ball$ to trade Bourque without at least his concent? Leetch means to the Rangers what Bourque meant to the B's. You are not talking about every day Joe Shmoe here. You are talking about arguably the greatest player in franchise history.

"This is a professional business and Leetch does not have to be notified about a trade before it happens."

There is also the human element to talk about. Some players are just different and deserve the respect that every day shmoes do not get.

Old
11-22-2004, 04:16 PM
Fletch

Even with your dommsday scenario...

he's at 3 more years to Mess' likely zero. Again, two totally different scenarios. As for his ankle, if he wore the friggin' protective gear in practice, he likely would not have injured it last season.

Closed Thread