HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Bobby "Man Child" Ryan

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2004, 06:56 PM
Juan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
There is a difference in 230lbs. of fat and 230lbs. of muscle.
Bobby Ryan is a tremendously skilled hockey player.

But 230 lbs. of muscle? :lol

Old
11-21-2004, 06:58 PM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan

Have you ever met him?

Old
11-21-2004, 07:01 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:

Well, he's obviously not that big, but he's still a beast.

Old
11-21-2004, 09:43 PM
Juan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSpeedOnly
Have you ever met him?
A few times in the last 2 years I have seen him up close after games while I was talking to other OHL players with whom my son played.

He is "big boned", but not muscular by any means. However, his pudge looks more like baby fat than the big belly, too-much-pie type of fat a la Steve Bernier.

Don't get me wrong, he's a magician with the puck. But people who haven't seen him, don't picture some chiseled Adonis.

This may have no impact on him making the NHL. But all things being equal, I am sure that NHL teams would prefer to see a lean, well-conditioned prospect.

Old
11-21-2004, 09:50 PM
Postman

Send a message via AIM to Postman Send a message via MSN to Postman
Quote:
A few times in the last 2 years I have seen him up close after games while I was talking to other OHL players with whom my son played.

He is "big boned", but not muscular by any means. However, his pudge looks more like baby fat than the big belly, too-much-pie type of fat a la Steve Bernier.
According to Woodlief he's trimmed the baby fat and the 224 lbs is mostly muscle. When's the last time you saw him up close?

Old
11-21-2004, 10:03 PM
theo6060

Quote:
I see kids that big stuffing their faces at McDonald's all the time.

Now that was funny.

Old
11-21-2004, 10:15 PM
mercury

Has anyone else noticed this resemblance? Weird. . .

http://www.attackhockey.com/player_viewV2.asp?id=2

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/granitz/...on,%20Scarlett

Old
11-21-2004, 10:55 PM
turnbuckle*

I spoke to an NHL head scout recently who thinks very highly of Ryan's power game. He told me that he's never seen a player (NHL or otherwise) that could attain better scoring position in front of the opponent's net. He has Ryan rated as a top three pick .

As for Guillame Latendresse; he's much less enamoured, and doesn't consider him top be a top ten talent at this time. He commented on his skating deficiencies and noticeable (on the nights he scouted him anyway) lack of drive. He's also not overwhelmed by his overall skill package.

I was surprised by his comments given what I've read on this board, but I have to admit that I haven't seen Latendresse play, so I'm starting to wonder if he won't be taking a nosedive in the rankings as the season wears on. It happens to a couple of prospects every year - Ask Colagiacomo, Evseev, Chipchura, Hudler, and countless others.

Old
11-22-2004, 06:06 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman
According to Woodlief he's trimmed the baby fat and the 224 lbs is mostly muscle. When's the last time you saw him up close?
I have no idea what type of fat Ryan has or doesn't have, but one thing's for certain, he is a lot stronger this year than last year. Last year, he had the huge frame, but he was nowhere near as dominant down low as he has been this year. This year, he goes into the corner with two guys hanging on his back, and comes out with the puck. This year, he can go in the crease with guys hammering him, and he doesn't budge an inch.

He's a hard guy to judge conditioning on based just on his on-ice performance, because he really tends to cruise and conserve energy until the puck gets into his "office" deep in the offensive zone. Then he becomes a beast.

So at any rate, wherever his conditioning and cut of physique is at, he has still definitely become stronger, increased his production and effectiveness significantly, and that is the kind of progress you want to see from a top prospect in his critical draft year. If he still lacks cut or conditioning, that can be addressed, but the progress is good to see, regardless.

Old
11-22-2004, 09:46 AM
Postman

Send a message via AIM to Postman Send a message via MSN to Postman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
So at any rate, wherever his conditioning and cut of physique is at, he has still definitely become stronger, increased his production and effectiveness significantly, and that is the kind of progress you want to see from a top prospect in his critical draft year. If he still lacks cut or conditioning, that can be addressed, but the progress is good to see, regardless.
True enough.

Old
11-22-2004, 12:37 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury

Are you implying, sir, that Bobby Ryan wears lipstick? Perhaps chapped lips or too much koolaide is the culpret. Then again, perhaps not.

Old
11-22-2004, 02:58 PM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman
I was talking to him less than 2 weeks ago, if he has baby fat, I din't see much.

Old
11-22-2004, 04:17 PM
mercury

I was implying that he looks eerily like Scarlett Johansson. Golden locks, ruby red lips, sky blue eyes. . . Um, wait. I meant, they both are strong on the puck and have a booming slap shot. . . Seriously, though, Scarlett is one of my favorite actresses and I immediately thought "Does she have a hockey-playing brother?"

Old
11-23-2004, 04:36 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury
I was implying that he looks eerily like Scarlett Johansson. Golden locks, ruby red lips, sky blue eyes. . . Um, wait. I meant, they both are strong on the puck and have a booming slap shot. . . Seriously, though, Scarlett is one of my favorite actresses and I immediately thought "Does she have a hockey-playing brother?"
One big flaw in your theory: Scarlett Johansson is hot.

This poor kid,
http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/view...4&pr_key=25272
Im not so sure.

Old
11-23-2004, 08:47 PM
mercury

Yikes! Maybe the Owen Sound website is trying to pretty him up, and make him into a sex symbol. I remember when I was in 8th grade, every girl in school actually watched Flyers games. They thought Eric Lindros was so hot. Poor Gino Odjick never got any attention. . .

Closed Thread