HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tommy Wingels: You Can Play Project video

Old
03-16-2012, 12:14 PM
Iron Chef

vCash: 500
Tommy Wingels: You Can Play Project video

Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Brent Burns
TROTZTROTZTROTZTROTZ

Nice. It's sad that this is even an issue.

Brent Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:16 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 50
We have a quality human being on our hands. Good for Tommy. It's nice to see hockey really stepping up about this, although it is kinda pathetic that it even needs addressing in the first place.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:19 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
It Stinks!

Tommy has a great serious face. Serious issue. I'm proud to have him as a Shark.

"there's nothing good about dubstep." - The Nemesis
slocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Iron Chef

Agreed. It's the casual homophobia that can be a stealth problem. Sometimes people don't even think they are wrong when they do it. Example - A friend of mine publicly made fun of another friend on FB because he joined Pinterest, which is a predominately female website. His friend said its a good way to find recipes since he has an interest in cooking which lead to the "you just lost your man card" comment. I know thats not homophobia, but its along those lines of guys needing to be a certain way, which makes it hard to come out if you're a professional athlete.

Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:24 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Yeah, it's often just the little things that have become part of our culture that do most of the harm.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:40 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Tommy Wingels, nice job.

magic school bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:48 PM
SactoShork
SYMSL

vCash: 3000
If you can play... you can play.

Except if you're injured.

Then you can't play.

SactoShork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:50 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
It Stinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
If you can play... you can play.

Except if you're injured.

Then you can't play.
When you can't play...you pay.

Old
03-16-2012, 12:55 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Just a friendly heads up that we will have to close this if it turns into a political debate. It's all well and good to highlight the video and Wingels' involvement in the project, but if this ends up turning into a for/against debate for the project or, god forbid, a pro-/anti-homosexuality argument, then HF rules on political discussion basically require us to put a leash on things or outright lock it down.

So tread carefully please.

Thanks.

And with that said, good for Wingels for getting involved. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 12:59 PM
Inub0i
For the Alliance!

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Good on Tommy.

Inub0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:27 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Great for Wingels nice to see more players be brave and have an actual backbone.

He must of had lots of sensitivity training.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:28 PM
OrrNumber4

I appreciate what Wingels is doing, especially since there is a chance this impacts him negatively in his professional life. There are obviously players and GMs who don't like homosexuality, and there are obviously players who are going to heckle Wingels for doing this (and, of course, insinuate that he is gay).

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:30 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
It Stinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
I appreciate what Wingels is doing, especially since there is a chance this impacts him negatively in his professional life. There are obviously players and GMs who don't like homosexuality, and there are obviously players who are going to heckle Wingels for doing this (and, of course, insinuate that he is gay).
They can heckle Chara and Pominville while they're at it too. Wingels gladly isn't alone in this.

Also: Rick Nash, Duncan Keith, Brian Boyle, Matt Moulson, Joffrey Lupul, Claude Giroux, Daniel Alfredsson, Scott Hartnell, Corey Perry, Andy Greene, Dion Phaneuf and Henrik Lundqvist

Old
03-16-2012, 01:38 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
They can heckle Chara and Pominville while they're at it too. Wingels gladly isn't alone in this.

Also: Rick Nash, Duncan Keith, Brian Boyle, Matt Moulson, Joffrey Lupul, Claude Giroux, Daniel Alfredsson, Scott Hartnell, Corey Perry, Andy Greene, Dion Phaneuf and Henrik Lundqvist
Apparently there are even more players that wanted to do it but didn't hear about it in time before the shooting.

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:40 PM
FrizzleFry22

Quote:

Wingles is the only rookie that I have heard of in the campaign so I think he is taken a bigger risk since no one knows who he is outside of the campaign. But it helps that all of those star players have stepped up.

FrizzleFry22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:52 PM
hockeyball

I doubt he'll get heckled. He's clearly not self-conscious in the slightest, and any potential heckler is going to know that. It would just make them look pathetic, and their own team-mates could actually back-fire on them.

Good for him. Slowly but surely we are making headway on these issues and public perception.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:53 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I doubt he'll get heckled. He's clearly not self-conscious in the slightest, and any potential heckler is going to know that. It would just make them look pathetic, and their own team-mates could actually back-fire on them.

Good for him. Slowly but surely we are making headway on these issues and public perception.
You can't make fun of something Lundqvist believes in anyway.

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 01:58 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
It Stinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
You can't make fun of something Lundqvist believes in anyway.
He's the Clooney of the NHL

Old
03-16-2012, 02:02 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
s'all good, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Blanca View Post
Great for Wingels nice to see more players be brave and have an actual backbone.

He must of had lots of sensitivity training.
He was at Miami of Ohio when Brendan Burke was there, so they were good friends.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/shark...blockID=664236

It's clear that the Burke family thinks highly of Wingels, and not just for his ability on the ice. Patrick, Brendan's older brother and a current scout for the Philadelphia Flyers, told CSNCalifornia.com:

“Tommy was one of Brendan’s closest friends at Miami and we’ve all been fortunate enough to get to know him the past few years. The one thing we wanted from all our participating athletes was character, and Tommy is one of the best, most genuine people I’ve ever met. In addition to serving on the board, Tommy and his former teammate [Phoenix Coyotes forward] Andy Miele were the founding donors of our project. I couldn’t imagine a better representative for the Sharks, for Miami University and for the game of hockey than Tommy.”

03-16-2012, 02:17 PM
SacLandshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
He was at Miami of Ohio when Brendan Burke was there, so they were good friends.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/shark...blockID=664236

It's clear that the Burke family thinks highly of Wingels, and not just for his ability on the ice. Patrick, Brendan's older brother and a current scout for the Philadelphia Flyers, told CSNCalifornia.com:

“Tommy was one of Brendan’s closest friends at Miami and we’ve all been fortunate enough to get to know him the past few years. The one thing we wanted from all our participating athletes was character, and Tommy is one of the best, most genuine people I’ve ever met. In addition to serving on the board, Tommy and his former teammate [Phoenix Coyotes forward] Andy Miele were the founding donors of our project. I couldn’t imagine a better representative for the Sharks, for Miami University and for the game of hockey than Tommy.”
While I've been pleased that Tommy was a part in this, I had to ask myself, 'where are the BIG SJ names in this?' But clearly, Tommy WANTED this and is taking point for the team. YAY!! I did not know about his friendship with Burke...

He DOES seem like a good kid and I'm glad to see his role on the team expanding every day...

SacLandshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:39 PM
Mrs Ski

It's Wingels generation (same as my two sons) that will end homophobia.

I'm so proud of Wingels, the NHL and the Sharks for supporting this worthy cause.

Mrs Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:40 PM
SJFanQC

Quote:

Sad that it seems like southern teams don't seem like they're in it, probably due to the potential risks. Hopefully there's few more that are going to join in, say Morrow, Weber, Doan, Stamkos, Staal and such.

SJFanQC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:48 PM
Lockout Season

Quote:

Aww come, on, we can't heckle Perry?

7150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Eighth Fret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
Agreed. It's the casual homophobia that can be a stealth problem. Sometimes people don't even think they are wrong when they do it. Example - A friend of mine publicly made fun of another friend on FB because he joined Pinterest, which is a predominately female website. His friend said its a good way to find recipes since he has an interest in cooking which lead to the "you just lost your man card" comment. I know thats not homophobia, but its along those lines of guys needing to be a certain way, which makes it hard to come out if you're a professional athlete.
Ehh, nothing wrong with that. If his friend had called him a derogatory term and accused him of being gay, then it's an issue.

Looking back at my days as a kid/teen and my time playing sports, this really is an issue that I am glad is finally being addressed. So proud of Wingels for doing this and really hope that more Sharks hop on board.

Eighth Fret is offline   Reply With Quote