HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your Thoughts on Eugene Melnyk?

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Eugene Melnyk?
Eug can do whatever he wants, he's the man! 70 76.92%
Wish he'd tone it down a bit. 6 6.59%
Wish he was an invisble owner, let the Players and Coach do the talking. 5 5.49%
I want MORE Melnyk, can't get enough. 10 10.99%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-25-2012, 04:27 PM
Tuna99

vCash: 500
Your Thoughts on Eugene Melnyk?

The Eug completely turned the attitude of the franchise around from one of instability and threats to leave under Bryden and company to one of stability and confidence - overnight the Senators could spend with the big boys and spend to the Cap. Melnyk (and Bettman) saved the franchise and turned it into one of the top organizations in the NHL.

Melnyk's optimism in the face of bleak hockey by the Sens "We're going all the way" / "Get a bomb and blow yourself up" - is legendary. He brought the WJC. Eug is the owner who wasn't afraid to have a few Rum Punches before going on national T.V. he's so confident.

But has it gone a bit far. Are you getting sick of Eugene telling us about the teams bottom line every 6 months? Talking money when clearly the Sens are one of the most stable and profitable franchises in the world. Eugene talking about the profitability of the team, us not spending on players seem absurd when other teams like Calgary, Washington and Tampa are close to Cap teams.

Dany Heatley (can he get over it already, we have) Eug telling the fans to "Relax" this weekend. Should we all be relaxed the last final 6 games or yelling at our T.V.'s and drinking to stay calm like I do? Has his ego gone to far? Is there another owner with as much face time in the NHL as Eugene Melnyk? Fan590, HNIC, Globe and Mail, Citizen, Sun, Team1200 - he does as many interviews as Bryan Murray.

Personally I'll always be greatfull for what he's done, but I am getting a little sick of his interviews and him preaching to the fan base. I wish he'd tone it down a bit.

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 04:28 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

I love him.

I'm so glad our team has a face to the owner instead of some teams that just have companies behind them.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 04:33 PM
Godinster

I think he's great. He speaks to the media, hosts charity events for kids and actually seems genuinely enthusiastic about the team's progress.

Godinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 04:33 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

I don't mind Melnyk talking.

I do mind it when he tries to influence management with player personnel decisions. Eg the Kovalev signing.

03-25-2012, 04:44 PM
Magix

Hes awesome

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 04:49 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Love him. We don't need to spend at the cap right now anyways.

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 04:52 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Actually, I want Melnyk to be the Mark Cuban of the NHL.

Old
03-25-2012, 05:07 PM
playasRus

The fact that the guy who depends the most on the team to make the playoffs for profit is saying don't flip your **** we're gonna go through with our plan that will help us succeed long term vs short term is more reassuring than annoying. Relax doesn't mean don't care, it means we're already over achieving and even if we don't make the playoffs this year, it's only gonna help our team grow. Shows commitment and a well composed owner if you ask me. If he was firing murray/maclean for missing the playoffs would you prefer that?

Last edited by playasRus: 03-25-2012 at 05:39 PM.
playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 05:18 PM
bdp

A true visionary. I can't imagine what this franchise would do without him.

bdp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 05:23 PM
Slow Hands
The feels

I think we're really lucky to have him as the owner of the team. For one, he has a personality where so many other teams are little more than a faceless corporation. For him to care the way he does says a lot about the guy.

Slow Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 05:24 PM
AlfieIsOurKing
Jumping Folignos!

The man basically saved this team and he obviously cares about it, so power to him.

The Kovalev thing was bad though.

AlfieIsOurKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 05:30 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

With the Kovalev thing, I'm sure he's learned from his mistake.

I'll take a mistake like that and a caring fan like that over MLSE or equivalent Eight Days A Week.

I ain't got nothing but love, man. Eight Days A Week.

Old
03-25-2012, 05:34 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyManked View Post
With the Kovalev thing, I'm sure he's learned from his mistake.

I'll take a mistake like that and a caring fan like that over MLSE or equivalent Eight Days A Week.

I ain't got nothing but love, man. Eight Days A Week.
I'd consider it his second big mistake. He fired Muckler after we went to the Cup Finals. Why the hell do you reward success like that by firing a guy? To send a message that finishing 2nd best isn't good enough and if you don't finish first you're last? Could've kept Muckler on board and kept Murray at the helm as our coach and gone for another Cup run in 08, instead, we **** the bed by trying to mess with a winning formula too much.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 05:42 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
I'd consider it his second big mistake. He fired Muckler after we went to the Cup Finals. Why the hell do you reward success like that by firing a guy? To send a message that finishing 2nd best isn't good enough and if you don't finish first you're last? Could've kept Muckler on board and kept Murray at the helm as our coach and gone for another Cup run in 08, instead, we **** the bed by trying to mess with a winning formula too much.
I'm glad Muckler is gone.

Old
03-25-2012, 05:44 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
I'm glad Muckler is gone.
... because?

Old
03-25-2012, 05:46 PM
RISPECK CLASS 101

Love the Euge

RISPECK CLASS 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 05:47 PM
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea

vCash: 50
"I know a few other teams that have been rebuilding for 5 or 6 yrs & they haven't come close to the playoffs." - Melnyk

How can u not love a guy that says that.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 05:49 PM
RISPECK CLASS 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roffler View Post
"I know a few other teams that have been rebuilding for 5 or 6 yrs & they haven't come close to the playoffs." - Melnyk

How can u not love a guy that says that.
Euge is awesome, brings so much personality to the franchise.

RISPECK CLASS 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 05:49 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Uncle Euge is the man. Love him! Wish I got to meet him!

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 05:53 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
... because?
I think it was time for a refresh for the Senators at that point.

I mean, after our great start in 2007, we have never really been cup contenders. I don't think Muckler would have changed that. Just my opinion.

Old
03-25-2012, 05:59 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
I think it was time for a refresh for the Senators at that point.

I mean, after our great start in 2007, we have never really been cup contenders. I don't think Muckler would have changed that. Just my opinion.
It's hard to say either way. There was a change in the organization from Muckler to Murray's tenure, for sure, and Muckler definitely was in a 'win-now' mode. It's hard to precisely attribute why we faltered in the 07-08 campaign, because we simply don't know much of the behind-the-scenes factors. However, I find it more probable that a Cup Finalist team which didn't try a major shake up after would be more likely to have success than a Cup Finalist team that tried to reinvent itself after. Vancouver this year is a good example; they haven't changed their core at all, kept coaching and management the same, and simply swapped out some complementary pieces and added depth. They look poised to make another deep run. Even if they don't win a Cup, I'd rather be consistently a threat to win it all (a la Detroit) than a team that struggles to reinvent itself when they come up short.

Anyway, just my two cents. Agree to disagree.

Old
03-25-2012, 06:01 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
... because?
Because he was bad at everything.

At least Murray is only sort of bad at trading. Muckler was bad at trading, drafting, and picking out sweaters that didn't make him look like an older, whiter, even more colorblind Bill Cosby.

Muckler inherited the phenomenally well-constructed Gauthier/Marshall Johnston Senators, rode them to glory, and did absolutely nothing to ensure any legacy of continued success.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 06:06 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
Because he was bad at everything.

At least Murray is only sort of bad at trading. Muckler was bad at trading, drafting, and picking out sweaters that didn't make him look like an older, whiter, even more colorblind Bill Cosby.

Muckler inherited the Gauthier/Marshall Johnston Senators, rode them to glory, and did absolutely nothing to ensure any legacy of continued success.
I'd definitely agree that Muckler did not leave much for his successor. I'd also agree that he was bad at trading and drafting.

However, we did have a very successful club that was in a win now mode. Very few people at the time believed we were going to decline. Most had us pegged as a contender in the post-lockout world and figured we'd be a model franchise for years to come. I would've liked to see us stay the course a few more years with Muckler so long as we continued to make deep runs (read: until we become mediocre and struggle to make the playoffs every year), instead of firing him after our most successful season since our rebirth in 92/93. After that you give the reigns to someone else and rebuild it again.

Old
03-25-2012, 06:12 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Don't nobody be dissin' the Eug.

Top-10 Awesome Melnyk facts
1) saved the Sens
2) is hilarious
3) see #2.
4) doesn't make outlandish predictions unless he's totally bombed, in which case I can't blame him, as I do the same thing.
5) Fired John Muckler (albeit later than he should have).
6) a very friendly & accessible guy, when actually in the country and not sipping drinks on the beach in Barbados.
7) see #1 and #2.
8) Gives a damn what happens to this team, unlike other past and present ownership groups *COUGHmlseCOUGH*
9) Was man enough to stop meddling with on-ice decisions when he realized it was having an adverse effect on the team, rather than hire another GM that would let him have his way.
10) See #1 again.

Old
03-25-2012, 06:24 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
I'd definitely agree that Muckler did not leave much for his successor. I'd also agree that he was bad at trading and drafting.

However, we did have a very successful club that was in a win now mode. Very few people at the time believed we were going to decline. Most had us pegged as a contender in the post-lockout world and figured we'd be a model franchise for years to come. I would've liked to see us stay the course a few more years with Muckler so long as we continued to make deep runs (read: until we become mediocre and struggle to make the playoffs every year), instead of firing him after our most successful season since our rebirth in 92/93. After that you give the reigns to someone else and rebuild it again.
OK, so if we agree he wasn't good at drafting OR trading, what was he good at, then? There's not really much else for a GM to do, except ride a team that someone else built for you. In fact, if he was a GOOD GM for a team in win-now mode, I'd wager he could have done a heck of a lot more to get us over the peak. His deadline trades were borderline deplorable, and he never brought in any youth to supplant guys we lost to free agency.

What, was Muckler going to keep bringing in the "Oleg Saprykins" of the league until we had traded away every single young asset we owned now and in the future? What was keeping him around going to do? He'd already presided over the prime years of every single blue-chip prospect Gauthier and Johnston had so generously provided for the franchise, and he had done almost nothing to either ADD to the talent he inherited, nor to bother making sure there was any young talent to replace it with.

He just sat on his ass, watched the Gauthier/Johnston acquisitions mature into stars/ productive players, and complimented the team with... umm... Greg deVries? Less than 30 games of an over-the-hill Petr Bondra? The sure-fire HOFer Josh Hennessey for that terrible Havlat guy? Gerber? Corvo? Pother-for-MacEachern? Schaefer?

Even the good trades he made were somehow also bad. I liked the Varada-for-Klepis trade, until you remember that Muckler wasted the 16th overall pick on Klepis in the first place.