HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers future

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2004, 11:23 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Flyers future

Although the Flyers are ranked 20th on hockeysfuture.com prospect list the Flyers future is so bright. Just look at some of the players that are unsigned as of yet, there's so many young kids that don't have a team just yet. Any thoughts of people you'd like to see signed?

Old
11-25-2004, 11:41 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

me

Old
11-26-2004, 01:41 AM
FlyersFan10*

I want to see where the chips will fall once the CBA has been reached. I think we're probably going to have a difficult enough time signing Carter, Richards, and Ruzicka because this is the first time we've decided we're going to do something on the cheap rather than pay market value at the time. I think it's gonna be a decision that is going to haunt us as it wouldn't surprise me if all three decide to walk. I mean, if players like Getzlaf, Stewart, Phaneuf, Coburn, Parise, etc....have all signed with their respective teams, why couldn't the Flyers sign their top three prospects? It's mind boggling. If those three walk, what do think the propaganda will be behind that? Hey, I like Clarkie, but he made three critical errors this past summer: 1) Letting Recchi walk; 2) Trying to sign Zhamnov even after Zhamnov turned down our very attractive offer - that money could have went to resign Recchi; 3) Not even bother to attemp to sign our three top prospects to contracts. Who knows, maybe it is time that Clarkie be given his walking papers......

Old
11-26-2004, 02:22 AM
blah

Gee, you don't think Ed Snider was involved in any of this?

Old
11-26-2004, 03:07 AM
GoneFullHextall
bring on the draft

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
I want to see where the chips will fall once the CBA has been reached. I think we're probably going to have a difficult enough time signing Carter, Richards, and Ruzicka because this is the first time we've decided we're going to do something on the cheap rather than pay market value at the time. I think it's gonna be a decision that is going to haunt us as it wouldn't surprise me if all three decide to walk. I mean, if players like Getzlaf, Stewart, Phaneuf, Coburn, Parise, etc....have all signed with their respective teams, why couldn't the Flyers sign their top three prospects? It's mind boggling. If those three walk, what do think the propaganda will be behind that? Hey, I like Clarkie, but he made three critical errors this past summer: 1) Letting Recchi walk; 2) Trying to sign Zhamnov even after Zhamnov turned down our very attractive offer - that money could have went to resign Recchi; 3) Not even bother to attemp to sign our three top prospects to contracts. Who knows, maybe it is time that Clarkie be given his walking papers......
I dont know if that he hasnt tried he is just waiting for the new CBA to be resolved. He knows nothing can be done with the organization until one is reached. So we wont lose any of those players because if there is no agreement by June 05 (God forbid) there will be no draft anyway so there is no way we lose the 3 prospects. Im sure he has told them that they will be high priorities to get signed once a agreement is reached. Also they are to young to play for the Phantoms anyway (except of course signing a PTO once their junior seasons are done) I can almost gaurantee you we will not lose any of those kids at all. No way Clarke lets that happen. So for now relax and enjoy what you have going with the Phantoms.

Old
11-26-2004, 01:46 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
I want to see where the chips will fall once the CBA has been reached. I think we're probably going to have a difficult enough time signing Carter, Richards, and Ruzicka because this is the first time we've decided we're going to do something on the cheap rather than pay market value at the time. I think it's gonna be a decision that is going to haunt us as it wouldn't surprise me if all three decide to walk. I mean, if players like Getzlaf, Stewart, Phaneuf, Coburn, Parise, etc....have all signed with their respective teams, why couldn't the Flyers sign their top three prospects?
I dont see Clarke letting his top prospects walk for nothing. The reason we got Umberger afterall, is because we were willing to pay him the maximum rookie salary. Being drafted by the Flyers is hardly a tough break. The kids agents would be nuts to walk away from the Flyers and risk getting drafted by a team like the Pittsburg or Chicago. He isnt the only GM waiting for the new CBA, BTW. many of the top prospects from that draft are yet unisgned.

Old
11-26-2004, 04:12 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
I'm not worried about the prospects at all, because although they're not signed Clark would fight tooth and nail for his top three prospects. I'm worried about the holes in the roster at this point we're still one defenseman short (Malakov.) I have no doubt that Seidenberg is a good defenseman but does he have the potential to take a top 4 spot. I'm skeptical

Old
11-26-2004, 07:49 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
Quote:

Hey now. Geez. You really think Clarke is going to let these guys walk? Snider won't let them walk. He'll pay them out of his own pocket if he has to.

Old
11-26-2004, 07:54 PM
FlyerFire

agreed

we'll keep our kids IMO.

Old
11-26-2004, 10:23 PM
flyersrock1

The kids will be signed as for Mark he is old and will be sitting for a year. If he scores another 50 goals as a NHL player I will be shocked. He was a GREAT flyer but his days (because of this lock out) are over. If only we could do the same with John and Tony

Old
11-27-2004, 11:43 AM
Jester

assuming some sort of system is in play to ALLOW us to make a pitch to these guys if we pass the draft, my only concern, we will get them signed. none of their interviews sounded bitter at all over the thing... they understood the situation and went with the flow.

as someone else noted, the Flyers organization is very well respected among players that aren't named Lindros or Babich. i mean think about it, the deal is awesome. if you are playing in the AHL, which all of these uber-prospects will be doing at the very least, you are in the NHL city so you can buy a house and wait to be called up. by all accounts the facilities for practice and so forth are some of the best in the league and the management, if nothing else, is VERY loyal to the players that have come through that door (for example, paying for Chris Therien's surgery was an EXTREMELY classy move). adding to that, think about all the players that have gone elsewhere to play that end up coming back and doing stuff with the organization.

plus, as someone else noted, these kids are coming to a very good team, with excellent coaching, that has gotten significantly younger over the last few years. this is a GREAT situation to be coming into as a rookie. they aren't going to be in a position where they are going to be taking it on the face every night, in fact, they are in a position where they are immediately going to be competing for div. championships and presumably the Cup... good times.

if we have the opportunity, they are going to be signed...

Old
11-27-2004, 03:44 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
for the ummpteenth time, I think someone on the site (John Flyers Fan or Flyers26?) wrote Bob McKenzie and asked about all of the unsigned prospects. McKenzie pointed out, correctly, that the Flyers aren't the only team with unsigned guys on the farm. The NHL will give teams a time period after the new CBA is put in place (whenever that is) for them to sign their prospects. I'm not worried about this at all and I think the Flyers have a great future to look forward to.

Old
11-28-2004, 11:31 PM
flyersrock1

Thank You! Yes They Did!

Old
11-29-2004, 09:22 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
for the ummpteenth time, I think someone on the site (John Flyers Fan or Flyers26?) wrote Bob McKenzie and asked about all of the unsigned prospects. McKenzie pointed out, correctly, that the Flyers aren't the only team with unsigned guys on the farm. The NHL will give teams a time period after the new CBA is put in place (whenever that is) for them to sign their prospects. I'm not worried about this at all and I think the Flyers have a great future to look forward to.
that opinion is NOT set in stone, and really means nothing about what will actually happen whenever the CBA is signed. do i believe something like that will be worked out? yes. but Bob Mckenzie saying it is so does not make it so.

hopefully they get a new CBA before january and we have a season to make these concerns moot.

Old
11-29-2004, 09:36 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
that opinion is NOT set in stone, and really means nothing about what will actually happen whenever the CBA is signed. do i believe something like that will be worked out? yes. but Bob Mckenzie saying it is so does not make it so.

hopefully they get a new CBA before january and we have a season to make these concerns moot.
yes, but McKenzie is a hockey guy and I'm sure he's spoken with many people that are involved in the whole situation. Besides, I dont think the NHL would be dumb enough to allow something like this to happen.....although they did have the lockout....uh oh

Old
11-29-2004, 10:17 AM
Jester

Quote:
yes, but McKenzie is a hockey guy and I'm sure he's spoken with many people that are involved in the whole situation. Besides, I dont think the NHL would be dumb enough to allow something like this to happen.....although they did have the lockout....uh oh
the "NHL" couldn't care less about who these kids end up playing for. Bettman's last concern right now is whether or not teams get their coveted prospects, well, he may be worrying about that more than actually having a season.

i'm just saying a reporter saying, "blah blah a deal will get worked out," doesn't mean this isn't a potential issue.

Old
11-29-2004, 10:46 AM
Blindside9711

Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
Quote:
the "NHL" couldn't care less about who these kids end up playing for. Bettman's last concern right now is whether or not teams get their coveted prospects, well, he may be worrying about that more than actually having a season.

i'm just saying a reporter saying, "blah blah a deal will get worked out," doesn't mean this isn't a potential issue.
It's not just A reporter... Bob McKenzie is probably THE most respected hockey analyst in all of Canada (likely even in North America). He's incredibly well connected and stays informed of pretty much every issue in the hockey world. McKenzie saying something like that gives me A LOT of comfort over the issue.

Old
11-29-2004, 11:10 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside9711
It's not just A reporter... Bob McKenzie is probably THE most respected hockey analyst in all of Canada (likely even in North America). He's incredibly well connected and stays informed of pretty much every issue in the hockey world. McKenzie saying something like that gives me A LOT of comfort over the issue.
i understand this, but he is still a reporter (aka, outside observer) reporting on a complete uncertainty. he doesn't know what view the NHLPA may take towards the issue down the road and everything else...

Old
11-29-2004, 02:31 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:

I dont think Bettman cares about what teams they play for, but I do think he cares about preventing chaos in about 20 teams' farm systems.

Old
11-29-2004, 02:40 PM
Jester

Quote:
I dont think Bettman cares about what teams they play for, but I do think he cares about preventing chaos in about 20 teams' farm systems.
there's a reason teams snatched up top-prospects in the 11th hour prior to the CBA expiring... to AVOID having a problem with those players going back into the draft. i do believe that something is going to be done in the event it becomes an issue to allow teams to sign their previous draft picks, but this is very much an issue existing in limbo at the moment... and the fact that teams took the bullet to sign guys to contracts that are most likely richer than the ones guys like Carter and Richards are going to get, should tell you that teams aren't exactly putting faith in some sort of deal happening.

lets have hockey in january and make it a non-issue...

Closed Thread