HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fans in The Stands - Battle of Ontario

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-28-2012, 05:03 PM
  #101
JoeSakic
Registered User
 
JoeSakic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,224
vCash: 500
I understand his point...people that complain about the Leaf fans overrunning SBP need to understand it wouldn't happen if more Senator fans bought and kept tickets for those games. I think fans like Franco should be applauded because they're the reason the Eugene is able to declare the team broke even this year...I've only been to 4 games this year and most of them were free.

Hell I think if I was a Sens Season Ticket Holder and I could get a huge premium on my tickets I'd probably sell them to a Leaf fan...

JoeSakic is offline  
Old
03-28-2012, 05:18 PM
  #102
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!
 
GoSensGo765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,578
vCash: 500
Wow guys just wow, 3 am yesterday and this thread runs 2 pages deep, today we're up to 5. What's with all the back and forth about finances, spending money, priorities with hockey and other things in life? Come on, this has gone so off the board it's absurd.

Only on HF. Really, there's just something about these boards and the people that post on it where you see such a defensive and argumentative attitude. And over nothing really. We're all on the same side and people are calling out fellow fans for not spending enough on games and season tickets?

For shame.....

GoSensGo765 is offline  
Old
03-28-2012, 05:23 PM
  #103
JoeSakic
Registered User
 
JoeSakic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,224
vCash: 500
Ummm...are you chastisng for people having a discussion on a discussion board?

Just wondering.

JoeSakic is offline  
Old
03-28-2012, 05:32 PM
  #104
ChocolateLeclaire
Moderator
 
ChocolateLeclaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSakic View Post
I understand his point...people that complain about the Leaf fans overrunning SBP need to understand it wouldn't happen if more Senator fans bought and kept tickets for those games. I think fans like Franco should be applauded because they're the reason the Eugene is able to declare the team broke even this year...I've only been to 4 games this year and most of them were free.

Hell I think if I was a Sens Season Ticket Holder and I could get a huge premium on my tickets I'd probably sell them to a Leaf fan...
But you see, the problem isn't that simple. It's not a matter of Leaf fans coming to the game that has resulted in Sens fans not coming, it's the behaviour of the fans that DO come to the games that is.

The average Leaf fan coming to a game in Ottawa shows up drunk and tries to be as obnoxious as possible and make the game as uncomfortable as possible for any Sens fan in attendance, including kids and seniors. So if you're a parent, or a 65 year old, and you have just ONE negative experience going to a Leafs-Sens game because of some inbred lout wearing Blue-and-white, are you going to come back and spend premium prices to attend another tilt or are you going to sell your ticket/not go and not deal with it?

How do you separate the idiots in blue and white but let Leaf fans who want to come to the game and just cheer their team on?

How do you convince Sens fans who stopped going that they won't have to spend 3 hours hearing F-bombs and seeing fights break out in the stand or concourse?

You know why I don't go anymore? Because I know I'm going to get into a fight. I'm passionate about my team and I know one of those idiots are going to push me and because I was brought up in Winnipeg, where you don't take crap from anyone, I'm going to fight you. I'm so passionate about my team and my city that I will kick the everloving #### out of a disrespectful Leafs fan. The last game I went to, I lost it after seeing two idiots swarm a 70 year old man and taunt him. My friend and I jumped into defend him and it turned into a 10 man slugfest in the concourse. You think that's worth going to a game for?

ChocolateLeclaire is online now  
Old
03-28-2012, 05:32 PM
  #105
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!
 
GoSensGo765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSakic View Post
Ummm...are you chastisng for people having a discussion on a discussion board?

Just wondering.
That's just it, things get taken so out of context, so many random things get brought up and things get far too serious for a convo that started out about two rival fan bases and how things can turn around in the building. I don't see how people's income, how they spend their money and what their priorities are is relevant in any way or anyone's business.

Also, a lot of the posts in this thread are just way too long and drawn out. I was interested in in and participated back on page 2, than I just lost the convo and don't feel like reading through every long rant.

You get it now?

GoSensGo765 is offline  
Old
03-28-2012, 05:33 PM
  #106
sensman93
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 195
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to sensman93
Wow, I've read every post on this thread and we got a gang of vultures ripping up on Franco because he encourages all of us to go to the rivalry games. I agree with him. If we want this to stop, we need to monitor the attendance by haning on to our tickets. I understand there's more Leaf fans who will pay a pretty penny to see their team, but it's our duty to be proud of our team, and not let them in our building.

The bottom line is this. People who put time, money and effort into their team should be considered "better fans." They care more, and they contribute more.

We support the team because it means a lot to us. I live in Edmonton and I would KILL to go to a Sens/Leafs game in Ottawa. I don't make a lot of money, but I'd find a way.

Granted I haven't yet experienced this supposed wrath at Scotiabank Place....

sensman93 is offline  
Old
03-28-2012, 05:42 PM
  #107
Ohhh Franco
Registered User
 
Ohhh Franco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
You're wasting your breath. Oh Franco is the greatest fan in the history of the Senators and the organization will not only give him VIP benefits but will erect a bronze statue of him looking down upon us as we enter the SBP as a constant reminder that we will never be as good a fan as he is.
Really?

See, this has gone the way the RSU debates and discussions always go on here.

"RSU is just a bunch of super fans who think they're better than everyone, so lets mock them and bash anything they try to do".

As for the VIP Benefits, I will certainly enjoy my discounts and access to events and functions and look to it as a bit of a acknowledgement and perk for being a "super fan" and investing my time and money in the organization.


Last edited by Ohhh Franco: 03-28-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Ohhh Franco is offline  
Old
03-28-2012, 06:04 PM
  #108
ChocolateLeclaire
Moderator
 
ChocolateLeclaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohhh Franco View Post
Really?

See, this has gone the way the RSU debates and discussions always go on here.

"RSU is just a bunch of super fans who think they're better than everyone, so lets mock them and bash anything they try to do".

As for the VIP Benefits, I will certainly enjoy my discounts and access to events and functions and look to it as a bit of a acknowledgement and perk for being a "super fan" and investing my time and money in the organization.
It always devolves to that because you're the one who starts questioning fan loyalty and dubbing yourself "a better fan" than others without having any knowledge of their backgrounds, financial situations, etc.

What's hilarious is you consider the team acknowledging you while the same seniors and parents that you complain about that sell their Leaf tickets get the same perks. They spent the same amount of money, are they "super fans" too?

ChocolateLeclaire is online now  
Old
03-28-2012, 06:08 PM
  #109
darglor
Registered User
 
darglor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
I do tend to get a bit disappointed with the fans around me at the games. I can be chanting until I'm hoarse and the only people to join in are the friends I went to the game with.

Last Habs game, then only time I could get people to jump in on a "Go Sens Go" was when the Habs fans were doing the same for their team. Why is it more important to drown out the other fanbase than it is to actually support your own team?

I have a half season package and the best game I've been to this year was the one with Nordiques Nation. Its not even their team and their measly 2 sections were louder than the rest of the arena put together...

darglor is offline  
Old
03-28-2012, 06:12 PM
  #110
Ohhh Franco
Registered User
 
Ohhh Franco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
It always devolves to that because you're the one who starts questioning fan loyalty and dubbing yourself "a better fan" than others without having any knowledge of their backgrounds, financial situations, etc.

What's hilarious is you consider the team acknowledging you while the same seniors and parents that you complain about that sell their Leaf tickets get the same perks. They spent the same amount of money, are they "super fans" too?
I recognize that those seniors and parents get the same VIP Benefits. I commend them for investing their time and money in the team...good on them...they deserve them. And yes, in my eyes, they are "better" fans than those who dont. Im going to guess they've made a sacrifice somewhere else to do so. I just think its ridiculous that they'd rather unload those tickets than support their team through it. Is it really that bad? Do they not have thicker skin than that? Theyre willing to shell out their money and make the drive out to SBP and support the team in other ways, but not when things get a little crazy or wild?

Ohhh Franco is offline  
Old
03-28-2012, 07:26 PM
  #111
Ohhh Franco
Registered User
 
Ohhh Franco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,249
vCash: 500
Just cause Ive got some time to kill and was thinking things over...

You know what else makes you a "bad" fan...in my opinion....

1) Buying fake jerseys or any kind of fake merchandise.
2) Leaving the games early....especially when the game is close.

REACT TO ME!!!!!


Last edited by Ohhh Franco: 03-28-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Ohhh Franco is offline  
Old
03-28-2012, 07:45 PM
  #112
HankHillC3H8
Registered User
 
HankHillC3H8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darglor View Post
I do tend to get a bit disappointed with the fans around me at the games. I can be chanting until I'm hoarse and the only people to join in are the friends I went to the game with.

Last Habs game, then only time I could get people to jump in on a "Go Sens Go" was when the Habs fans were doing the same for their team. Why is it more important to drown out the other fanbase than it is to actually support your own team?

I have a half season package and the best game I've been to this year was the one with Nordiques Nation. Its not even their team and their measly 2 sections were louder than the rest of the arena put together...
You just wrote down all my experiences this season....and the Oilers/Sens games was my favourite one just because of the Nordiques fans.

Get out of my mind!!!

HankHillC3H8 is offline  
Old
03-28-2012, 10:18 PM
  #113
coladin
Registered User
 
coladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,103
vCash: 500
This board of Sens fans is famous in excuse making of why they aren't better fans and support the team better. I did the "Oh Franco" argument but had fans tell me for the price of a ticket he can get beer and pizza and watch from his couch. True. I stopped after that!

Anyways, my argument was if every Senator fan were to buy one ticket, we wouldn't have this problem. Just one. There are thousands of freeloaders who support the team on the back of the better fans, the ones who help finance the team. Just one ticket to a game would change things, a lot. Typically, the tickets that dont' sell are the cheaper ones, go figure, as the corporate world does a lot of the heavy lifting. I don't think that a ticket here or there for fans should be a life/death situation as some make it to be.

Back to the Leaf games, I hate going. Dread it and many times I don't go and my brother will bring a fan. I don't go to the games to get agitated. I go to relax, enjoy some time to clear my head and zone out of life and just watch hockey. I don't need idiots booing Alfie sitting behind me.

I would never unload them to Leafs fans. Never. When I do go to games , even with my son, we cheer, we yell, we groan, it is an entertaining time. My son is so lucky to watch what I could never have watched...what I used to dream about. Sometimes I can't believe that I am watching NHL hockey in my city.

It really is just a matter of time before the current generation and the one following, who have only known Senators hockey, take over the building. It is just hard right now and the viral quality of what is going on is making it so much worse than even the true Battle of Ontario.

coladin is offline  
Old
03-28-2012, 10:31 PM
  #114
pepty
Registered User
 
pepty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 11,004
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensored View Post
I'm a season ticket holder too, i'm 23 and everytime i see a leaf or hab game coming up on the schedule i'm disappointed (especially on a weekend). It's honestly not enjoyable being at the arena during those games. It makes me angry to see that many fans there especially Montreal/Toronto fans but i can't blame other people for selling their tickets. No way can you bring a child or an elderly person to the game. And even with me and 4 other guy friends its frustrating being at those games.

If the Sens want to fix it they have a few options:

- Make Leaf and Hab games a bonus for renewing season ticket holders instead of cheaper playoff games. Sell the remaining in multi-game packs. It might not get rid of ALL of them but it'll even out the numbers a little.

- Only make Leaf and Hab tickets available with 6-game packs.

- Use Leaf and Hab tickets for all promotions / giveaways

- Organize an event with Sens bloggers / RSU / Ottawa media a take back the rink night or something
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
Only problem with these sort of things are it seems like Sens fans will just sell the tickets anyways to recoup the money spent on the 6-12 game packs, 1/2 season or whatever...

Even this season the promotions for the Heritage Jersey gave away tickets to a Florida or Tampa game... If they would have offered 50% off Leaf tickets with say a $30 Sens Store credit only available on that game day with that ticket in hand... Maybe it would keep more tickets in Sens fans hands... I dont really know a great solution...

Its understandable that if somebody is paying $2000 for a pair of seats and they can recoup $600 for 3 games then its worth it, especially if you normally go with a child, or a parent etc...
These suggestions are very good for a start and there are likely other things that could be done .

There is good reason that the Leafs games are not ones that people want to attend especially with kids,but knowing the situation I don't know why a Sens fans would sell or give tickets to Leaf fans. .

This will end up as an embarrassment to everyone as it seems to be getting worse.
It is already embarrassing to have the games broadcast on HNIC and seeing Sens fans out cheered and our captain booed.

I don't think the behaviour of Leaf fans here is typical of their behaviour elsewhere. They are turning in to a Canadian version of English soccer hoodlums and this is the venue for their loutish acting out. It will likely just get worse unless something is done.
.
And a good place to start would be selling or giving tickets to Sens fans rather than Leafs fans. Maybe there is something that the organization could do to faciliate that.

pepty is offline  
Old
03-29-2012, 12:05 AM
  #115
True Believer
Registered User
 
True Believer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 100
vCash: 500
I like the movement that the RSU is trying to get going. I won't talk about our season ticket holders too negatively. I am disappointed that they sell their tickets to morons from Toronto for more than face value (which is illegal by the way) but I understand if you don't want your children to be exposed to the drunkards, the violence and the idiocy that comes with the Leafs fanbase.

But for the rest of us fans: the tough, the college aged, and those of us who are protected by the Young Offenders Act we need to step up and make these rivalry games a priority and show up. We can whine and cry all day about our location, the price of tickets and any number of other reasons, but that is the bottomline. We don't show up, the Leafers win.

I myself am so fed up that with it that even though I could possibly attend 3 bronze level games for the same price, I am now going to make these rivalry games the main focus. The RSU is attempting to create a "safe haven" for Sens fans in section 319. If you are concerned about this issue, try to buy your tickets in that section. We need at least one section that is dominated entirely by Sens fans. Here is your opportunity to make a difference. It is a small first step. But it is better than anything I've heard so far.

Your move Sens Army.


Last edited by True Believer: 03-29-2012 at 02:01 PM.
True Believer is offline  
Old
03-29-2012, 08:24 AM
  #116
Upgrayedd
Earn'em and Burn'em
 
Upgrayedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
This board of Sens fans is famous in excuse making of why they aren't better fans and support the team better. I did the "Oh Franco" argument but had fans tell me for the price of a ticket he can get beer and pizza and watch from his couch. True. I stopped after that!

Anyways, my argument was if every Senator fan were to buy one ticket, we wouldn't have this problem. Just one. There are thousands of freeloaders who support the team on the back of the better fans, the ones who help finance the team. Just one ticket to a game would change things, a lot. Typically, the tickets that dont' sell are the cheaper ones, go figure, as the corporate world does a lot of the heavy lifting. I don't think that a ticket here or there for fans should be a life/death situation as some make it to be.

Back to the Leaf games, I hate going. Dread it and many times I don't go and my brother will bring a fan. I don't go to the games to get agitated. I go to relax, enjoy some time to clear my head and zone out of life and just watch hockey. I don't need idiots booing Alfie sitting behind me.

I would never unload them to Leafs fans. Never. When I do go to games , even with my son, we cheer, we yell, we groan, it is an entertaining time. My son is so lucky to watch what I could never have watched...what I used to dream about. Sometimes I can't believe that I am watching NHL hockey in my city.

It really is just a matter of time before the current generation and the one following, who have only known Senators hockey, take over the building. It is just hard right now and the viral quality of what is going on is making it so much worse than even the true Battle of Ontario.
Basically this right here..the devil's advocates in here are unreal...i could maybe understand peoples arguments against oh franco if this was a random public forum, however this is an Ottawa Senators based discussion forum that is not mainstream, if your here your typically a die hard, and frankly if your arguing against the push to get more actual sens fans out well you yourself must not goto many games, i don't know about the rest of you but im a huge sens fan and i choose to support the team financially every year, maybe you don't that's your choice but don't try and put each on the same level, there is a clear distinction between die-hard and casual in my mind.....right now theres very few die hards actually attending the games! Just my two cents.....

Upgrayedd is offline  
Old
03-29-2012, 09:00 AM
  #117
Ohhh Franco
Registered User
 
Ohhh Franco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,249
vCash: 500
Good to see my statue wont be the only one the Sens organization will have to erect!

Ohhh Franco is offline  
Old
03-29-2012, 11:43 AM
  #118
ksens
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 49
vCash: 500
This is me, and many many people I know:

- Fan since the team came here in 1992
- Have been to hundreds of games over the years, own tons of merchandise, etc.
- Middle aged, work at a good job, have disposable income and can afford tickets
- Can't go to nearly as many games now; work travel / commitments and a son in competitive hockey and on the ice 4 or 5 days a week means I see less than 10 games a year

So I'm going to buy tickets for a few games for me and my son, who is grade school aged. What do I pick? I pick games against good teams that will be fun to watch or games against teams that have players on them that my son likes (e.g. Tampa or Pittsburgh, he is a big Stamkos and MAF fan).

Why on earth would I take him to a game where hundreds of drunken buffoons in Leaf jerseys can swear at my kid, boo our captain and generally act in a manner that goes completely against what I am trying to teach my son about sportsmanship and having respect for your opponent? And they are a terrible team with no players that my son wants to see on their roster? No thanks.

If that makes me a worse fan so be it, but I am exactly the kind of fan is frequently in that building and exactly who the Sens are trying to market / sell to. I've got bigger things to worry about than trying to make some kind of juvenile stand against Leaf fans in our building. I hope the Sens and SBP find a way to clean up those games, but in the meantime I'm not losing any sleep and just won't buy tickets to Leaf games.

ksens is offline  
Old
03-29-2012, 12:08 PM
  #119
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt
 
Buck Aki Berg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksens View Post
Why on earth would I take him to a game where hundreds of drunken buffoons in Leaf jerseys can swear at my kid, boo our captain and generally act in a manner that goes completely against what I am trying to teach my son about sportsmanship and having respect for your opponent? And they are a terrible team with no players that my son wants to see on their roster? No thanks.
You left out the part about the games being priced at a premium because of economics rather than talent.

If we could go back 10-12 years to when these two teams were routinely 1-2 in the Northeast, I might consider wanting to go to these games, even if it meant being harassed and accosted a little. But with the Leafs so far down the standings you could scrape them off your shoe, and the Sens overperforming but still a three-game losing streak away from missing the playoffs, a game like that (and the nonsense we have to endure) isn't worth the price they charge.

Buck Aki Berg is online now  
Old
03-29-2012, 12:39 PM
  #120
Indy on the Road
From the ground up
 
Indy on the Road's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,871
vCash: 500
Dude, to be fair, it's really hard to tell when you are joking without some sort of written indication. For all he knows, you are 16 and looking to start your MMA career in the stands at Scotiabank Place.

I guess it's better to assume someone is joking before trying to take a chunk out of them...

Indy on the Road is offline  
Old
03-29-2012, 12:42 PM
  #121
True Believer
Registered User
 
True Believer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Senators Fan View Post
Dude, to be fair, it's really hard to tell when you are joking without some sort of written indication. For all he knows, you are 16 and looking to start your MMA career in the stands at Scotiabank Place.
LOL. My bad, should have added a . His "I'm taking my ball and going home" bit after trashing me and calling me an idiot was completely over the top and uncalled for though. I didn't even address him personally in my post. He has a bug up his ass for some reason, I don't know.


Last edited by True Believer: 03-29-2012 at 12:48 PM.
True Believer is offline  
Old
03-29-2012, 12:43 PM
  #122
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar
 
PeterSidorkiewicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Michigan
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 15,715
vCash: 500
Personally, I don't see what's so hard about trying to sell your tickets to Sens fans before selling them to Leafs fans. I would sell my MSU-UofM football tickets to MSU fans when I was in school.

PeterSidorkiewicz is online now  
Old
03-29-2012, 12:59 PM
  #123
Flip_4
Registered User
 
Flip_4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 171
vCash: 500
Wow. Just read this thread today and I'm confused as to the "Better fan" comment.

I am a season ticket holder and have been for over 10 years. Before that, I would buy tickets to individual games. I have been season seat holder of the game. I've won a "Jersey off our backs" last year. I have enjoyed many perks for being a season seat holder and I have attended every single regular season game this year...but I would NEVER EVER consider myself a better fan than someone who doesn't go to "certain" games.

I have a good job, and I have budgeted for my Season tickets...but trust me, it's a TIGHT budget. If I had children, there is NO WAY I would be able to buy season tickets...not a chance. I barely spend any money other than necessities as it is.

I do understand that fans that don't necessarily have the money, and if they're going to spend whatever they do have on a Sens game, they won't be doing it for a Leafs game. Who is anyone to tell those people which game they HAVE to purchase for. I also don't blame STHs for selling their tickets, I would rather they sell them to Sens fans, but I've tried in the past and Sens fans don't want to go to Leafs games. I've given mine away to family and friends who aren't Leaf fans and never would give to a Leaf fan, but I have no business telling people what to do.

I am a HUGE Sens fan...but no better and no worse than any other ones. I will not judge. I certainly will NEVER bring my nieces or nephew to a Leafs or Habs game nor would I bring my parents / grandparents either.

The Leaf fans used to be fun to be around - then they won those playoff series and all of a sudden, they turned into a bunch of arrogant jerks when coming to Ottawa. I sit, cheer my team and watch the games while ignoring the Leaf fans now...when I do go. Hopefully in my lifetime, I'll be able to see a time when those games become fun again.

Flip_4 is offline  
Old
03-29-2012, 01:10 PM
  #124
aragorn
YES WE CAN
 
aragorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Azores
Posts: 11,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
Personally, I don't see what's so hard about trying to sell your tickets to Sens fans before selling them to Leafs fans. I would sell my MSU-UofM football tickets to MSU fans when I was in school.
I agree but the only question is how do they know they are Leaf fans unless they wear their jersey or they know the people? I understand that there are several sites to sell & buy tickets, how do you know who is buying the tickets are Leaf fans? I never sell my tickets, I go to all my games & occassionally they are Leaf games. In those cases my wife won't go & I don't take the kids.

Leaf fans have just as much access to buying tickets for games as we do. How do you suppose we can stop them from going on-line when tickets are released for sale & stoping them from buying them? I guess we could make a concerted effort that when those particular games come up for sale that Sens fans in mass go online & buy them immediately but that's pretty hard to organize & achieve. It seems that Leaf fans will go to great lengths to buy & go to games in Ottawa, I would love to change that but until our numbers swell to the point where every game is a sellout & a huge majority of people in the town are Sens fans we can only grin & bear it. Another point is that you also see a lot of couples & friends who are fans of both teams, it will be tough for them to leave their spouse at home.

Next yr, maybe we should start on here a campaign to buy Leaf game tickets immediately upon sale. Start advertising & talking about it sooner & get as many on here on board as possible & get them to get their Sens friends fans involved to but tickets too as soon as they go on sale. Maybe we can get the newspapers involved in trying to get people out to those games to reduce the number of Leaf fans. The more people involved the better with a better chance of getting more fans into the building, same for Hab games. Maybe Sens fans on here can make a concerted effort to buy season ticket holders tickets to those games although that could be an expensive ticket. Anyway good luck with this initiative.

aragorn is offline  
Old
03-29-2012, 01:18 PM
  #125
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie
 
CanadianHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip_4 View Post
Wow. Just read this thread today and I'm confused as to the "Better fan" comment.

I am a season ticket holder and have been for over 10 years. Before that, I would buy tickets to individual games. I have been season seat holder of the game. I've won a "Jersey off our backs" last year. I have enjoyed many perks for being a season seat holder and I have attended every single regular season game this year...but I would NEVER EVER consider myself a better fan than someone who doesn't go to "certain" games.

I have a good job, and I have budgeted for my Season tickets...but trust me, it's a TIGHT budget. If I had children, there is NO WAY I would be able to buy season tickets...not a chance. I barely spend any money other than necessities as it is.

I do understand that fans that don't necessarily have the money, and if they're going to spend whatever they do have on a Sens game, they won't be doing it for a Leafs game. Who is anyone to tell those people which game they HAVE to purchase for. I also don't blame STHs for selling their tickets, I would rather they sell them to Sens fans, but I've tried in the past and Sens fans don't want to go to Leafs games. I've given mine away to family and friends who aren't Leaf fans and never would give to a Leaf fan, but I have no business telling people what to do.

I am a HUGE Sens fan...but no better and no worse than any other ones. I will not judge. I certainly will NEVER bring my nieces or nephew to a Leafs or Habs game nor would I bring my parents / grandparents either.

The Leaf fans used to be fun to be around - then they won those playoff series and all of a sudden, they turned into a bunch of arrogant jerks when coming to Ottawa. I sit, cheer my team and watch the games while ignoring the Leaf fans now...when I do go. Hopefully in my lifetime, I'll be able to see a time when those games become fun again.
Excellent post.

The simple reality is that NOT every fan is the "get up and scream as loud as you can for your team" fan. I like to sit and watch games intently, and I'm not an outspoken guy. That makes me a lesser fan? No. Am I a lesser fan for not wanting to deal with the group of Leaf fans who are obnoxious, 'die hards' who can't name their team roster, let alone understand the game, but will argue to the end about why Ottawa sux and Toronto will win the Cup? No.

__________________
CanadianHockey________ __ __________Sens, Oilers, and Team Canada
CanadianHockey is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.