HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

U18 Championship Thread

Old
03-27-2012, 04:35 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
U18 Championship Thread

Not sure if this is better suited for the international board, but there will be a lot of discussion on how the prospects fare as it pertains to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.

There will certainly be plenty of draft eligible talent to observe at the tournament. It's going to be a blast to see how some of these kids respond on the international stage.

Rosters are starting to roll out. If Mikhail Grigorenko is available to go, he'll join Andrei Vasilevski as teammates from the World Juniors to participate (http://futureconsiderations.ca/grigo...-russian-u18s/). The same will be said for Filip Forsberg and Sebastian Collberg for the Swedes (http://futureconsiderations.ca/forsb...ish-u18-entry/).

I've heard that Muskegon Lumberjacks forward Adam Chlapik has been named to the preliminary roster of the Czechs as well, but haven't seen their full list.

Old
03-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Brock Otten has also put together his list of potential candidates to represent Canada from the OHL: http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2012...r-18-team.html

ISS scout Ross MacLean has also put together his thoughts on what Team Canada's entry may look like here: http://macleanhockey.blogspot.ca/201...prospects.html

To me, this is one of the most interesting tournaments of the year after the World Juniors. It's not a best-on-best, but it's not far off. Typically, the best Europeans are at the tournament, while the best of Canada's non-playoff bound junior teams are there.

It's also essentially the last chance a draft eligible prospect has to make an impact or impression on the 30 NHL teams scouting the event before June rolls around.

Aaron Vickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 06:02 PM
joe89

I just wish the coverage for this event was better.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 06:08 PM
WayneBruce

Will there be TV-coverage or streams for this? Fasthockey perhaps?

Last edited by WayneBruce: 03-27-2012 at 06:13 PM.
WayneBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 05:42 AM
Hockeyfrilla

Sweden has lost the final vs USA two years in a row, time to break the curse?

Hockeyfrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:07 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlamov71 View Post
Will there be TV-coverage or streams for this? Fasthockey perhaps?
TSN usually shows a few games

Mathletic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:23 PM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrilla View Post
Sweden has lost the final vs USA two years in a row, time to break the curse?
Finland can take your place in the final

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 04:51 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

William Carrier has been named to team Canada per the Screaming Eagle twitter

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 06:27 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Some info

Finns
http://www.u18wc2012.cz/eng/clanek.a...-U18-roster-16

Pokka, Ristolainen and Barkov look to be there as will Teräväinen.

Would love to hear more about any others from some of our Finnish colleagues on the boards.

Learn more by following @czechhockey

There have been some preliminary rosters as well.

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 03-29-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 06:57 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

I wonder what US kids from the CHL will get an invite for this squad once they become available?

I certainly can see Alex Galchenyuk getting the invite if Sarnia gets bounced.

What about Dylan Blujus, Nick Ebert, or Max Iafrate on the blueline?

USA Hockey usually takes a few players from the CHL if available (usually 2-3 kids), so there are a few options...

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 07:19 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

The US team doesn't look great this year. The defensive group seems solid but the forwards have really struggled offensively this year and aside from Galchenyuk, I don't really see any major reinforcements available. Factor in average goaltending and it's very hard to see them getting the fourth straight gold. It's been a very disappointing season for the US so far and I think it'll continue here.

I have the same feeling about the Swedes as I did before the U20s. I just think it's their year. The Finns seems to have a strong group and Canada is alway a major wild card in this tournament. It seems to be an off age group for the Russians and not having Grigorenko hurts so it's hard to see them being a major threat. I think that covers the medal contenders.

cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 07:28 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
The US team doesn't look great this year. The defensive group seems solid but the forwards have really struggled offensively this year and aside from Galchenyuk, I don't really see any major reinforcements available. Factor in average goaltending and it's very hard to see them getting the fourth straight gold. It's been a very disappointing season for the US so far and I think it'll continue here.

I have the same feeling about the Swedes as I did before the U20s. I just think it's their year. The Finns seems to have a strong group and Canada is alway a major wild card in this tournament. It seems to be an off age group for the Russians and not having Grigorenko hurts so it's hard to see them being a major threat. I think that covers the medal contenders.
you dont think Luke Johnson (USHL) Ben Johnson or Brady Vail would help?? I would take Vail and either Johnson as a pretty massive upgrade at this point

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Some info

Finns
http://www.u18wc2012.cz/eng/clanek.a...-U18-roster-16

Pokka, Ristolainen and Barkov look to be there as will Teräväinen.

Would love to hear more about any others from some of our Finnish colleagues on the boards.

Learn more by following @czechhockey

There have been some preliminary rosters as well.
don't know if it's just me but lots of 2013 guys on that list

Mathletic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:28 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
you dont think Luke Johnson (USHL) Ben Johnson or Brady Vail would help?? I would take Vail and either Johnson as a pretty massive upgrade at this point
I woudn't have a problem with USA Hockey giving one or more of them a shot but I really don't think any of them will be able to carry the team offensively in this tournament.

Old
03-30-2012, 01:29 AM
SittingDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
don't know if it's just me but lots of 2013 guys on that list
Well, 2013 is the strongest age group from finland since 2002, possibly even stronger

SittingDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 04:02 AM
Keke

A couple Finnish prospects worth mentioning:

Juuso Ikonen: Very small forward (5'8") but he is extremely fast and skilled. He has very good vision and will be very tough to play against in the offensive zone. He has already played in FEL this season scoring 9 points in 20 games. Hopefully Kalpa beats Blues today (or later in the series) because I want Ikonen to play in this tournament. According to stats he was very good in the Ivan Hlinka this season.

Artturi Lehkonen: Another very skilled -95 forward but he is smallish too. He has also played in FEL this season. He has some finishing ability and he scored with highest pace in U20 League (in the age of 16) in a very long time. His pace was even better than Pulkkinen's.

Mikko Vainonen: Big stay-at home d-man who has some offensive potential. He is most likely the captain of team Finland because of his leadership qualities, hits hard, good shot. He should play more offensive because he is adequate with the puck but he still focuses too much in his defensive role.

Niklas Tikkinen: Changed from forward to d-man after last season and he is adapting to his new position because he still has problems in the defensive zone. Has high hockey IQ and he reads the game well (mainly in the offensive zone), he makes good rushes and gives solid passes whether they are easy first passes or breakaway passes.

Then there are Henrik Haapala, Rasmus Kulmala, Jonatan Tanus, Esa Lindell etc. who are great promising players too but I haven't seen them playing. I've only read and watched some highlights of them. My lineup for the tournament is (considering Teräväinen and MÄÄTTÄ wont be in):

Lehkonen - Barkov - J. Ikonen
Haapala - Kulmala - H. Ikonen
Tanus - Nättinen - Markkula
Mustonen - Juutinen - Nikko
Salminen

Ristolainen - Lehtonen
Pokka - Tikkinen
Lindell - Vainonen
Mäkinen

Korpisalo
Saros
Tolvanen

Keke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:30 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiGician View Post
Mikko Vainonen: Big stay-at home d-man who has some offensive potential. He is most likely the captain of team Finland because of his leadership qualities, hits hard, good shot.
Vainonen has been named as the captain, so it's a sure thing if he stays healthy. The players to watch from Team Finland if Määttä, Teräväinen and Pokka are unavailable because of play-offs:

2012 prospects:
1. D - Esa Lindell
2. GK - Joonas Korpisalo
3. D - Mikko Vainonen
4. D - Niklas Tikkinen

2013 prospects:
1. CE - Aleksander Barkov
2. D - Rasmus Ristolainen
3. RW - Artturi Lehkonen
4. RW - Juuso Ikonen

Last edited by Tormentor: 03-30-2012 at 05:44 AM.
Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:31 AM
Eyelanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiGician View Post
A couple Finnish prospects worth mentioning:

Juuso Ikonen: Very small forward (5'8") but he is extremely fast and skilled. He has very good vision and will be very tough to play against in the offensive zone. He has already played in FEL this season scoring 9 points in 20 games. Hopefully Kalpa beats Blues today (or later in the series) because I want Ikonen to play in this tournament. According to stats he was very good in the Ivan Hlinka this season.
I have seen Ikonen about five times this year and he is quickly becoming one of my favorite prospects. He is a skilled player, who has good vision and competes hard. He is quick and he has improved well since I saw him first time in the FEL. If Ikonen will play in the tournament, he would play likely on the first line.

Eyelanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:40 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniorhockeyfollower View Post
If Ikonen will play in the tournament, he would play likely on the first line.
First PP unit for sure, just like at Hlinka and at the 5 nations in February.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:25 AM
stmikes76

Wow, could that Ross Maclean guy be more out to lunch on his assessments of the OHL match-ups?

First of all he says that Marchese is physical and plays energetic, has he even watched him play this year??

Does not mention Paterson as a potential goalie to make the team as he has totally out played Murray this year, despite the fact that Murray will be named to the team, the fact that he omits Paterson as an option is a joke.

No mention of Carrick for St.Mikes who was the team's best defenseman in the absence of Percy this season.

Has he not watched Campagna all year, he has barely played and looked very tenative when he has. I assume that Ross is speaking only about his Hlinka and RDO performance and has not actually seen Campagna live.

Does he not know that both Maidens and Marcantuoni are out for the year and have been announced out for the year for months now. Do your homework before you write a blog, most people do

I could go on but whats the point. I just think it is funny that people who write blogs become some type of expert ( I know the blog is done out of fun) however try watching and going to games rather than what you hear especially if you are a scout for some publication.

One can easily tell that this guy is based in the West because his knowledge of the other two CHL leagues is severely lacking!

Last edited by stmikes76: 03-30-2012 at 07:32 AM.
stmikes76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:35 AM
lamini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers View Post
I've heard that Muskegon Lumberjacks forward Adam Chlapik has been named to the preliminary roster of the Czechs as well, but haven't seen their full list.
Here it is:

G: Marek Langhamer (Pardubice), Josef Sobotka (Liberec), Patrik Polívka (Plzeň), Daniel Dolejš (Havl. Brod), Dominik Hrachovina (Tappara Tampere – FIN).

D: Jan Sedlák (Kometa Brno), Martin Kokeš (Litvínov), Karel Plášil, Tomáš Prokop (oba Č. Budějovice), Jiří Běhal (Třinec), Jakub Houfek (Plzeň), Ronald Knot (Slavia), Jan Košťálek (Sparta), Marek Bail, Adam Hawlík, Jan Štencel (všichni Vítkovice), Radek Havel, Dominik Tejnor (oba Chomutov), Lukáš Buchta (Zlín), Libor Šulák (Tatranskí Vlci – MHL), Eustathios Soumelidis (Vaasan Sport – FIN), Michal Plutnar (Tri City Americans – WHL), Petr Šidlík (Victoriaville Tigres – QMJHL).

O: Ladislav Marek (Mladá Boleslav), Adam Dlouhý, Matěj Psota (oba Liberec), Vojta Tomeček, Matěj Zadražil (Karlovy Vary), Tomáš Franek (Třinec), Dominik Kubalík, Roman Přikryl, Jan Schleiss (všichni Plzeň), Richard Nejezchleb (Slavia), Martin Matějček, Dominik Simon, Martin Procházka (všichni Sparta), Jan Hudeček, Ondřej Slováček, Patrik Zdráhal (všichni Vítkovice), Jiří Fronk (Chomutov), Pavel Sedláček (Zlín), Jakub Vrána (Linköping – SWE), Patrik Machač (Brampton Batallion – OHL), Radek Faksa (Kitchener Rangers – OHL), Adam Chlapík (Muskegon Lumberjacks – USHL), Dominik Volek (Regina Pats – WHL)

lamini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:44 AM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

If the Finns really end up losing all of these players to the play-offs it'll really hurt them. Teravainen in particular has been the offensive catalyst for them this year and it's difficult to imagine them being nearly as dangerous without him.

Old
03-30-2012, 09:45 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
If the Sting are eliminated in round 1, Galchenyuk better join Team USA.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:44 AM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
William Carrier has been named to team Canada per the Screaming Eagle twitter
Time for him to spread the word
Started to show he could skate near the end of the season:

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:42 AM
WeissFC
@WeissFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
With the exception of Galchenyuk if Saginaw wins the next two out of three, USA Hockey will grab from the U17 team. They typically always do that. Plus, Luke Johnson will likely still be in the playoffs. Off the top of my head, I can't remember how many players they can have on a roster, but I'd think they will add JT Compher and Tyler Motte for sure upfront, maybe Steve Santini on the back end.

WeissFC is offline   Reply With Quote