HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NHL Draft Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

U18 Championship Thread

Old
04-05-2012, 03:52 PM
jfb392

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Does this have to do with his residency? I babelfished it and that's all I could gather. It sounds like the IIHF stepped in.
Yes, his official place of residence is in Canada, so the IIHF will not allow him to play for the US.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Yes, his official place of residence is in Canada, so the IIHF will not allow him to play for the US.
Very strange since the IIHF itself included Matteau on the U.S. roster on their website. Must have been an issue that just popped up. I wonder if this is more of an investigation rather than a decision?

Last edited by Rabid Ranger: 04-05-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 04:09 PM
William H Bonney

Who knows what's going on anymore but Anthony Louis from the U17 team is apparently replacing Matteau on the roster.

04-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
The best

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Who knows what's going on anymore but Anthony Louis from the U17 team is apparently replacing Matteau on the roster.
So Galchenyuk is basically not even on the taxi squad, so to say.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Nope. After reading this article: http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2012...attle-brewing/ I would venture a guess that there are some behind the scenes powerplays going on. Shame on USA Hockey though for not having their **** in order.

Old
04-05-2012, 04:36 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Wouldn't necessarily say that. Alex is now in Florida on vacation and the team leaves tomorrow. They always lean to NTDP players, especially on short notice.

You'd think if there was an issue with Alex, he would know about it and would have said something. It's all speculation at this point so who knows.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Latgale_fan

Zemgus Girgensons will not be there for Latvia, his Dubuque is play-off bound. Other than that Teodors Bļugers (Teddy Blueger), the top scorer of Shattuck St. Mary's, 2-time US highschool champion and potential 4th-5th rounder in draft returns from WJC, as well as our WJC topscorer Nikita Jevpalovs and his linemate in WJC Roberts Lipsbergs + their linemate in MHL Nikolajs Jeļisējevs. Also present is 16 year old Rihards Bukarts, 3rd in scoring among U17 guys in MHL and our main prospect for 2014 draft... These five should be the main offensive threat of the team. Other than them there's a number of solid forwards.

As concerns goalies, Merzļikins returns from WJC too. The defensemen batch is nothing too spectacular but nothing worse than what we've had in the last few years.

This tournament will be very important to Bļugers who, imho, is sure draftee this year and might improve his position, also Lipsbergs and Jevpalovs, after their good performance at WJC, could be found in Midterm rankings and if they fare well, one of them (or both?) might have a chance at draft. Also it will be interesting to see what Rihards Bukarts can do at this level as he's already scored for U20 team in exhibition games and wasn't able to compete for a spot in WJC squad because of age (was 15 when tournament started)... haven't seen him much in international competitions up to this point. Other than that I don't epect any revelations in defense or goalies... well, maybe if we surprise somebody and Merzlikins saves 50 shots regularly (I'd only be glad)....

For team Latvia standards- really good offense, better than average goalkeeping, average defense

All in all, though, even without Girgensons probably the best Latvia's U18 roster ever assembled.

Latgale_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 05:29 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

So the two years that Matteau played in the US are irrelevant because he wasn't listed as a resident here? If that's right then we've almost certainly seen the last of him in a US jersey. It really doesn't give me much faith in USA Hockey when it comes to IIHF eligibility questions.

cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 06:02 PM
Brock
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
So the two years that Matteau played in the US are irrelevant because he wasn't listed as a resident here? If that's right then we've almost certainly seen the last of him in a US jersey. It really doesn't give me much faith in USA Hockey when it comes to IIHF eligibility questions.
Just thinking out loud here...but...

Do you think this is potentially the reason why team Canada left some roster spots open when they named their team? Perhaps they caught wind of this and were planning on trying to convince Matteau to suit up for Canada?

Brock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post

Do you think this is potentially the reason why team Canada left some roster spots open when they named their team? Perhaps they caught wind of this and were planning on trying to convince Matteau to suit up for Canada?
I would like to think Matteau would have a bit more character than that, but as we've seen in recent years loyalty is a curious notion in international hockey circles. USA Hockey just comes across as inept here.

Old
04-05-2012, 06:19 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
While I'm very willing to bet USA Hockey dropped the (a) ball here, I'm also pretty certain that some other hockey federations are taking some shots here.

Old
04-05-2012, 06:28 PM
William H Bonney

According to Kevin Allen, Matteau has spent 11 of his 18 years living in the US and spent most of that time playing hockey. He's also played over 100 games in a USA sweater.

I don't know why IIHF is ruling the way they are but I feel awful for Matteau. Poor kid.

Old
04-05-2012, 06:41 PM
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast

Quote:
According to Kevin Allen, Matteau has spent 11 of his 18 years living in the US and spent most of that time playing hockey. He's also played over 100 games in a USA sweater.

I don't know why IIHF is ruling the way they are but I feel awful for Matteau. Poor kid.
I don't know if this could be anything, but the fact that he's heading to the QMJHL next season have anything to do with it?

Jamie Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 06:55 PM
pavelich

Quote:

How do the international eligibility rules generally work? I assumed it was similar to soccer i.e., you have to be a citizen/passport holder of the country you represent. And once you represent one in a full international (not a youth event or friendly) that's it you can't change.

Does the IIHF really take into account residence? So if you go live in Sweden or something to play hockey you can't represent the U.S.?

pavelich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 07:13 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post

This is the first year Hockey Canada has done something like this so it could certainly be a possibility.

Quote:

I don't feel like reading through the IIHF statutes and bylaws again but I don't remember seeing anything that would make Matteau ineligible if that is the case. It certainly does make the last few years seem like a waste of time for Stefan though. Pretty vindictive if it turns out to be a Hockey Quebec ploy to get even. I'd be angry if I were him.

Old
04-05-2012, 07:42 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
The best

Kevin Allen ‏ @kausatoday
The Stefan Matteau issue:he has not played 2 consecutive years (not seasons) in U.S. after the age of 10. Canada supports USA's claim

Old
04-05-2012, 07:51 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
The Stefan Matteau issue:he has not played 2 consecutive years (not seasons) in U.S. after the age of 10. Canada supports USA's claim
This stuff is getting stupid. If he has played for the USA previously he should still be allowed to play for them now. Really what difference does it make if its two seasons or two years. Also what claim is Canada supporting?

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
This stuff is getting stupid. If he has played for the USA previously he should still be allowed to play for them now. Really what difference does it make if its two seasons or two years. Also what claim is Canada supporting?
I would assume Matteau's eligibility to play for the U.S.

Old
04-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I would assume Matteau's eligibility to play for the U.S.
I hope that is the case, I would not be happy if Hockey Canada was behind this. Has Matteau played in IIHF tournments before? If he has why has this never been brought up previously?

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 08:31 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
So where does this "after the age of 10" come from? I don't remember seeing anything in the IIHF rule book regarding an age requirement. This stuff really is becoming ridiculous. Aren't these rules in place to prevent countries that have no hockey infrustructure from importing players? It's like the IIHF is learning from the NCAA or something.

Old
04-05-2012, 08:52 PM
Xokkeu

Wouldn't this mean that Alex Galchenyuk wouldn't be eligible to play for anybody?

He's lived in Canada the last two years, but isn't a Canadian citizen, so I really don't get these rules at all.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:12 PM
William H Bonney

Yeah, not sure where this "after the age of 10" rule comes from either. I'm sure there's been players in the recent past (for Team USA) that may not have qualified under this rule that's apparently appeared out of thin air.

At least this will quiet down the rampant "IIHF and USA Hockey are in cahoots to exploit some random loophole to allow Galchenyuk to play" crowd. Well, at least it should.

I still feel awful for Matteau. That kid has given his heart and soul to his teammates and USA Hockey for the last 2 years and the IIHF, at the very last minute, have ripped his opportunity away from him without a viable explanation at this point. Kid should be steaming mad.

I'm glad, though, to at least see Hockey Canada was supportive of USA Hockey in their disagreement with the IIHF. It's great when our hockey federations can stick together to do the right thing and support common sense.

Last edited by William H Bonney: 04-05-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old
04-05-2012, 11:18 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
The best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
He's lived in Canada the last two years, but isn't a Canadian citizen, so I really don't get these rules at all.
Sarnia is right on the border, he could be living in Port Huron, Michigan.

Old
04-06-2012, 12:28 AM
BeersHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I believe the minimum age requirement for the men's championship is 16 on the day the tournament starts.
However, players between the ages of 16 and 18 require an underage waiver.

Since Galchenyuk already turned 18 in February, he's eligible to participate without any type of waiver.
Don't they have to wear full cages too?

BeersHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:11 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeersHockey View Post
Don't they have to wear full cages too?
Yes, any player younger than 18 years of age must wear a full cage during IIHF competition, regardless of the level (U18, U20, senior).

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote