Notices

Nathan Horton Out for Season - confirmed 4/11/12

Old
03-31-2012, 06:56 PM
ThomasJ13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap3lovr View Post
Keep in mind the 2nd round is a month away. If the Doctor says he is ready, then he's in this lineup. He is making progress, and that is good. I certainly wouldn't shut him down for the year at this point in time.
Agreed. Medical clearance is medical clearance, and it is based on epidemiological research and scientific inquiry that includes hundreds, if not thousands, of concussion victims and doctors. And pointing out some examples where the recovery protocols haven't worked doesn't change the scientific validity of the current medical protocols. If there were enough of these kind of examples, then the protocols would change.

Too often I hear Bruins fans use the unbelievably underwhelming, non-statistical sample of 2 for some kind of binary evaluation of concussion recovery. Bergeron's recovery time included the off-season, while Savard's didn't.....therefore all concussion recovery periods, for all concussion victims, should include summer months. At the risk of being mistakenly assumed to be a callous fan with blatant disregard for Horton's personal welfare, I'll side with medical protocol anyday.

Horton will always be one hit away from being the next Savard (just like Bergeron is), whether he comes back in May, June, October, or December. He comes back when he comes back.

ThomasJ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 06:58 PM
WestCoastBruinsFan

At the very least, I think that we can battle a team like Pittsburgh fairly evenly AND tough. They are good but I doubt they are good enogh to take us out with little to no effort. So that means it might come down to a 6 or 7 game series. Absolutely anything can happen in one or two games.

Also, everyone is going to consider Pittsburgh the favorites and that is just the way we want it. Although it will be hard to put up with CBC or TSN announcers in love with Crosby and Malkin for 6 or 7 games.

This is all just speculating if we even end up playing them this year. The thing about the playoffs is that nothing is guaranteed. Besides, Max Talbot insn't on the team anymore as well.

Bad idea to bring Horton back at anytime. Agreed. But......just imagine the emotion if they made it to the finals and he was able to come in for a few shifts in the last few games. Won't happen though and we will see him in the fall.

WestCoastBruinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 07:11 PM
BostonAJ

This sucks. We really need him.

BostonAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:20 PM
gvkmedia
Preaching B's hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
So .....

Pouliot instead of Ryder
Seguin instead of Recchi
Caron instead of Horton
Zanon instead of Kaberle
Rolston maybe instead of Paille.

Last years team way better on paper going in IMO and they won the Cup...
I have a grip here - even on paper.
Just the way you list it is wrong.
It should be:
Seguin instead of Horton... well - if I had to choose, I love Nathan and all but I take Tyler over him.
Pouliot instead of Ryder... is it really that big a difference? Okay - Ryder by a small bit - not much though. Let's see what Pouliot brings come Playoff time.
Zanon instead of Kaberle. Sounds good to me.
Rolston instead of Recchi.... pretty even. Dressing room impact - we will never know.
Caron instead of Paille. Well both are available and I take Caron over Paille anytime right now. Caron is a beast! Lucic light I would say.

To top it off - Horton could come back!
On paper we are better than last year. Not worse.
Experience may also play a role. You can't buy that. You earn it.

gvkmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:56 PM
Ratty

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvkmedia View Post
It should be:
Seguin instead of Horton... well - if I had to choose, I love Nathan and all but I take Tyler over him.
Pouliot instead of Ryder... is it really that big a difference? Okay - Ryder by a small bit - not much though. Let's see what Pouliot brings come Playoff time.
Rolston instead of Recchi.... pretty even. Dressing room impact - we will never know.
Caron instead of Paille. Well both are available and I take Caron over Paille anytime right now. Caron is a beast! Lucic light I would say.

I'm glad you have a grip here.

But Caron over Paille, considering last year's playoffs?
I like Caron, and believe he has a bright future. But Paille has so much more to offer at this point, including experience, which counts heavily in the playoffs.

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:59 PM
BostonAJ

Caron's a plug. At best.

BostonAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 12:23 AM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvkmedia View Post
It should be:

i love your optimism but i disagree with pretty much all of this

there is just no replacement for experience, but, **** it, i believe in these boys

go b's

KnightofBoston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:01 AM
kdog82

If Horton is out long term ala Savard and the Bruins have the money to spend because LTI, the B's should try hard to sign Parise.

Zach Parise in a Bruins uniform would be sick.

kdog82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:16 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
i love your optimism but i disagree with pretty much all of this

there is just no replacement for experience, but, **** it, i believe in these boys

go b's
These buys didn't have that much experience going into last year.

The big hole in the lineup is the one Ryder filled last year. He's the only guy we might wind up missing.

That, and Kaberle's impact in the playoffs from the second round on is really underestimated here. He wasn't ready to go in the first round and it cost us a couple times, but he bucked down after that and really contributed from the bottom of the lineup.

That said, was anyone really expecting a Cup run from the Bruins last year? I think the Bruins proved that the ethos that made them tough to kill in prior years bore fruit last year when they won the 1 goal decisions in game 7 that they fought their way to in prior seasons. Since the coaching is the same, I suspect that if we do go out, we'll put on a heck of a fight and make the other team earn it. That's really all I, for one, ask.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:21 AM
the overrated
wicked overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap3lovr View Post
If we are going to start treating him like a fine piece of china, then he should retire. If his health is in such a dire situation, why bring him back next year. He might get hit and he might end up hurt. If the doctor says he is ready, then you play him.
No, if the doctor says he's ready to play, then you get him practicing & working out more aggressively and then see if he's got his skating-legs & timing back ... and THEN you play him. Rushing him back before he's ready to be a positive contributor to the team's success is a bad idea, IMHO. Both for him AND the team.

Is giving him until next season really "treating him like a fine piece of China"? Seems a bit hyperbolic to me.

And, as an aside, I don't follow your logic at all about "why bring him back next year" ... just because he's not ready in April doesn't mean that he won't be 100% in September. It seems like a petulant response, to be honest; "if he can't help us right now, why bother bringing him back ever." The team benefited from waiting for Bergeron to get 100% healthy, for instance. Why not see if the same benefit can happen by giving Horton some more time?

the overrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:23 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

If I'm looking right at the matchups, I don't see a team that can't beat us, or a team who, if they beat us, would be a "choke" in more than an extremely technical sense.

Our first round matchup is against a team we only lead in the season standings by a handful of points. If they have a slightly good series it's a fair fight. Basically it comes down to Anderson v Thomas. I wouldn't say our advantage over the Senators is extreme.

After that, we could draw the Flyers, Rangers or Penguins, none of which we'd have to choke that badly to lose to.

My basic point is, do what we did last year. Temper your expectations and take each series and each game one at a time. Take the Senators seriously, focus exclusively on beating them, THEN worry about a deeper playoff run. They're a worthy enough opponent to earn that courtesy.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 11:47 AM
Kiss My Rask
Enforce Boston

Losing Horton is rough, his clutch scoring needs to be replaced by someone. Maybe Seguin?

Kiss My Rask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 01:45 PM
SanDogBrewin
Righteous bucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox7327 View Post
And assuming they beat the Rangers in round 2 if the seedings hold to form...
Very true and the Penguins just blew a 2-0 advantage today against the Flyers. All regular season records and how good a team is go out the window when the playoffs start

SanDogBrewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:54 AM
Sec311Row6

sounds like horton skated for 40 mins with tukka today, per bruins

Sec311Row6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:55 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec311Row6 View Post
Biggest pants tant ever...

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:57 AM
SanDogBrewin
Righteous bucks!

Quote:
Boston Bruins‏@NHLBruins

"Nathan Horton skated for about 40 mins at Ristuccia with Tuukka Rask and Strength Coach John Whitesides before the full practice ^BB"

He'll make the right decision when it's time to make it.

SanDogBrewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:01 AM
FallsForItEveryYear

now we wait.... the big test comes if Horton gets back on the ice tomorrow.

no concussion symptoms please.

lets finish out the damn season injury free then smoke Ottawa in the first round and maybe horton can be ready to return for the second.

that is my hope at least

FallsForItEveryYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:01 AM
duckchobbins

Quote:
Biggest pants tant ever...
You ain't kiddin! These khakis aren't very forgiving either, it can be very painful

duckchobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:06 AM
Ratty

That's good news considering he was only doing bike work and had to cut down on that at one point. Hopefully we'll find out today whether he's symptom free.

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Bruins Stooge
Spread Out

Quote:
Great news here.

Bruins Stooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:19 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Honestly as excited as I am, I would rather just go on without him.... get the 7 months of rest and get back at it next year..

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:22 AM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Honestly as excited as I am, I would rather just go on without him.... get the 7 months of rest and get back at it next year..
Agreed. Unless he's legit 100% and ready to play with snarl, we can't use him, and he'll just be setting himself up for another bad hit if he plays tentative

KnightofBoston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:23 AM
lopey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsForItEveryYear View Post
now we wait.... the big test comes if Horton gets back on the ice tomorrow.

no concussion symptoms please.

lets finish out the damn season injury free then smoke Ottawa in the first round and maybe horton can be ready to return for the second.

that is my hope at least
Sounds promissing but your right, the test is will he feel any side affects after the workout. They will have to make a decision soon though. Do they add him to the roster or not? How many players can you carry on the roster at playoff time?

lopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:27 AM
lopey

Got question and its totally off topic. How do I use the multi quote function? Mine is not allowing me access?

Thanks

lopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:32 AM
SpokedLightning
Overpaid 4th Liner

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
Agreed. Unless he's legit 100% and ready to play with snarl, we can't use him, and he'll just be setting himself up for another bad hit if he plays tentative
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopey View Post
Sounds promissing but your right, the test is will he feel any side affects after the workout. They will have to make a decision soon though. Do they add him to the roster or not? How many players can you carry on the roster at playoff time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopey View Post
Got question and its totally off topic. How do I use the multi quote function? Mine is not allowing me access?

Thanks
push Multi for all the post you want to quotes but the last one. push quote on that one.This is just an example

SpokedLightning is offline   Reply With Quote