HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MLSE has no plans to fire Brian Burke

Old
03-28-2012, 02:39 PM
darrylsittler27

vCash: 500
Don't worry..

Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied 3 times.Bell/Rogers haven't taken over yet.Burke still is frantic to throw away our first before he goes to,"make room for guys like Connolly and Lombardi" and "We didn't have room for him" aka Sullivan etc.This will be our best pick in years,Burke will feel obligated to get rid of it,"for the fans."

Last edited by darrylsittler27: 03-28-2012 at 02:53 PM.
darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:48 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Of course their not going to fire him

Their going to pick up over a Billion from Rogers and Bell this summer he's their problem not the teachers.

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:57 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckyjets View Post
Burrows was in the system playing for the Moose.

Its not like nonis found the kid. He was playing for the moose for 3 years before he was signed by the canucks.
All free agents played for another team before they were signed.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:00 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylsittler27 View Post
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied 3 times.Bell/Rogers haven't taken over yet.Burke still is frantic to throw away our first before he goes to,"make room for guys like Connolly and Lombardi" and "We didn't have room for him" aka Sullivan etc.This will be our best pick in years,Burke will feel obligated to get rid of it,"for the fans."
all of burkes moves helped the future, i believe there going to pick with it and im not drinking this "MLSE kool-aid"

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:15 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
I think most of the blame should be focused on the players. The players have severely under performed, though Burke and company over-rated the goaltending again and it came back to bite them in the ass like in the past. I think he finally goes out and grabs a legit starting NHL caliber goaltender this summer and I personally think if we had that from the start of the season we would right now be a playoff team.

Moving forward I don't doubt Burke finishes his contract but after that it's anyone's guess. I think when his contract is up he will stick around for a few more seasons as a special adviser or some other upper management roll.

Joey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:18 PM
Mowerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey24 View Post
I think most of the blame should be focused on the players. The players have severely under performed, though Burke and company over-rated the goaltending again and it came back to bite them in the ass like in the past. I think he finally goes out and grabs a legit starting NHL caliber goaltender this summer and I personally think if we had that from the start of the season we would right now be a playoff team.
We did have that from the start of the season. Reimer's numbers and play was great injury, and was great even strength after he returned from his injury. The issue when he returned was with our incredibly awful penalty kill, his ES numbers remained relatively consistent both before and after.

Mowerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:46 PM
deprw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseV87 View Post
Just because you're a great GM doesn't mean you're always gonna get it right. Sometimes you take risks and lose, it's part of the game. Brian Burke has been in the game for a long time, isn't afraid to take risks, has a great management team around him, has built a great developmental foundation with the Marlies and hopefully now has a great coaching staff to take the team forward. Unfortunately the team he's built has sucked balls, it happens. Time to accept it, make some changes and try again, and we know Burke isn't afraid to do that.
It took 15 years from Jimmy Devellano to win a cup with Detroit Red Wings. There were no cap system and they had rich owner backing them up. Now all argue that they have best organization and front office in the league. It took decade and a half to build that. You can't bash Devellano now, but it damn sure took some time in Detroit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
Just for reference, TBL tried the tanking method, acquired a generational talent, another top 2 pick, and already had a previously drafted franchise player + a UFA franchise player and they are 2 points ahead of us
Don't say things like that. Yzerman is genius! He rebuild that franchise in one year. He might have inherited few good pieces, but look at them now. Oh darn. Stevie Y will be a good GM in future, but we see with TBL that there is no guarantee for success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebarry View Post
the list of top gm's is pretty short, and the demand is pretty high. Same goes for coaching.

am admitedly a burke supporter, but i hope if burke gets fired/doesn't get extended its because there is someone better available and not simply because people want him fired for the sake of firing him.
This. You don't just fire Burke. You have to replace him with better GM. He might have been failure, but his record before us is solid. Real solid. I rather take him than Nonis or any of those new guys. You can't get guys like Rutherford or Regier and there is no guarantee that they have success with Leafs. It's lot different to manage team with no money and team with money. Ken Holland you can't get. Who wants new JFJ, some bright new face thrown into our shark tank. When you replace Burke you have to have great GM waiting for opportunity. Being a GM of Toronto Maple Leafs is one of the top jobs in hockey world. You can't just hire someone to do that, it's like CEO of Coca Cola. You need top guy.

deprw is offline   Reply With Quote