HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

LA-FLA proposal

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2004, 08:50 PM
10 ft. pole

vCash: 500
LA-FLA proposal

to LA-Anthony Stewart
to FLA-Jeff Tambellini and Bryan Boyle

Old
11-25-2004, 09:00 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Um why?

Old
11-25-2004, 09:02 PM
PanthersRule96

I wouldn't from FLA, but probably an equal value trade.

Stewart has a chance to be a first liner who is a power forward with Horton.

Plus Boyle was an LA project and you can keep him and his huge frame for now.

I don't thin these teams need to make trades for the sake of making trades. FLA already has enough forwards up front. If anything, we need solid physical dmen with offensive ability and Stewart is an untouchable in Keenan's eyes.

Old
11-25-2004, 09:03 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
too risky banking on a guy like boyle for florida to make it. stewart is much safer than boyle

Old
11-25-2004, 09:04 PM
willie

What's the deal with this onslaught of silly proposals regarding prospects?

Old
11-25-2004, 09:48 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie
What's the deal with this onslaught of silly proposals regarding prospects?
They are the only guys playing hockey, so worth talking about.

Old
11-26-2004, 01:42 AM
BuppY

NO from Florida prespective!!!

Old
11-26-2004, 02:26 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

doubt both will do it. 1) stewart is a helluva prospect from fla side. 2) tambellini and boyle make up the 26 and 27 pick of that year, they didn't trade those 2 picks to get stewart and probably won't do it now out of sheer principle. 3) management thinks highly of boyle 4) boyle is not doing so hot in boston, so why would fla want him? he is, though, trying to get better.

i konw it may seem as though #3 and 4 contradict, but he's a project. i personally would do that trade, but i just don't see it hapepening

Old
11-26-2004, 02:54 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

I'll bet anything the Kings WOULD have traded those two picks for Stewart if they COULD have. It wasn't an option.

Old
11-26-2004, 04:43 AM
willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
I'll bet anything the Kings WOULD have traded those two picks for Stewart if they COULD have. It wasn't an option.
And I'll bet anything you are dead wrong. Stewart was taken with the 25th pick. LA had both the 26th & 27th picks.

What did Florida trade to get the 25th pick? Was it actually better than the 26th & 27th picks? (I highly doubt it) Moreover, even if it was (which I doubt), I have to think they could have dealt both the 26th & 27th picks (plus something else if need be) and acquired a pick higher than the 25th. And, frankly, who knows if Stewart was necessarily on their radar. I'd like to hope he was but that was a deep, deep draft.

I gotta admit though, while I like Tambs and don't entirely detest the Boyle pick, knowing that Richards & Stewart were taken 24th & 25th respectively makes me cringe at what LA COULD have had in that draft. (Imagine walking away with Brown, Richards, Stewart & Pushkarev?? )

Edit - Even more depressing, LA chose Pushkarev 1 spot ahead of Bergeron. Man, LA could have stocked up an incredible top-6 from that draft.

Last edited by willie: 11-26-2004 at 04:53 AM.
Old
11-26-2004, 11:49 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Well done, Willie. A post that was at once informed and balanced.

I did not realize Stewart was drafted so high. I guess I liked him so much that I had asumed he went higher in draft.

But, anyway, here are the details fo the deal:

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Florida Panthers chose C Nathan Horton of the Oshawa Generals (OHL) as their first selection (third overall) at the 2003 NHL Entry Draft today at the Gaylord Entertainment Center. For the second straight year, Florida General Manager Rick Dudley traded the first overall selection and still got his man. The Panthers traded the top pick and their third-round selection (73rd overall) to the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for RW Mikael Samuelsson, Pittsburgh’s first-round pick (third overall) and the Penguins’ second-round selection (55th overall). Dudley then traded his other two second-round picks (34th and 41st overall) and one of Florida’s two sixth-round selections (192nd overall) to Tampa Bay in exchange for the Lightning’s 25th overall pick. Dudley used the pick to choose RW Anthony Stewart of the Kingston Frontenacs (OHL).

Old
11-26-2004, 12:01 PM
mazmin
Go! Jets! Go!

The Panthers are already stacked at center with Weiss, Jokinen and Horton. Plus usually the team that gets the best player in the trade wins, so LA wins. I have a feeling you'd have to overpay for Stewart.

Old
11-26-2004, 12:09 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazmin
The Panthers are already stacked at center with Weiss, Jokinen and Horton. Plus usually the team that gets the best player in the trade wins, so LA wins. I have a feeling you'd have to overpay for Stewart.
That is the most important factor there. We don't need any centers and Stewart is too good of a prospect to risk it on a guy who could never play an NHL game for all we know (granted, so could all of these guys, but Boyle is a huge risk).

Old
11-26-2004, 01:13 PM
willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
I did not realize Stewart was drafted so high. I guess I liked him so much that I had asumed he went higher in draft.
I assumed the same about Mike Richards. I couldn't believe that he was taken just 2 spots before LA picked. (I knew where Stewart was taken though. I remember draft day quite vividly when I saw Florida swoop in and steal Stewart before my eyes. He just needed to slip 1 more spot. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongofan
That is the most important factor there. We don't need any centers and Stewart is too good of a prospect to risk it on a guy who could never play an NHL game for all we know (granted, so could all of these guys, but Boyle is a huge risk).
It's completely understandable. Stewart & Tambellini are 'safe' bets to play in the NHL (in the sense that you'd be surprised to see them not make it, obviously they aren't guaranteed) whereas Boyle is a real mystery. (though with his size, I suppose he could still make it as a stiff 4th liner) Now obviously, value wise, Stewart > Tambellini so the trade would boil down to how Boyle turns out. It's a very understandable risk not to take if you're Florida.

I also have to wonder if this is possibly a dilemma that Taylor faced at the draft.

If you're Tampa, you've been offered the #34 pick, #41 pick & #162 pick in exchange for the #25 pick, you are definetly going to give LA a call and see if they would care to top that offer. (something like #26, #27 for #25, #96) This would essentially put Taylor in the exact same situation. (this is assuming LA had Stewart #1 on their list) It would appear Taylor opted to take the greater gamble and see what happens with Boyle.

Old
11-26-2004, 01:20 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
The deal makes no sense. I doubt either team would want to do the deal. Stewart is a fairly safe bet to make the Nhl. He has the potential to be on the top line. Boyle is a project that may turn good or may turn bad. If LA wanted Stewart they would attempted to do it there and then. If they didn't trade up for him then they are not going to change that now.

Old
11-26-2004, 02:25 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17ster
The deal makes no sense. I doubt either team would want to do the deal. Stewart is a fairly safe bet to make the Nhl. He has the potential to be on the top line. Boyle is a project that may turn good or may turn bad. If LA wanted Stewart they would attempted to do it there and then. If they didn't trade up for him then they are not going to change that now.
And why wouldn't they? You telling me ateamthat turns down a trade offer or decides not to pursue a player once will never come back to that player or trade in the future? of course not. It's been over a year since the draft, Boyle is not progressing anywhere NEAR the same pace as Stewart is and Tambellini is hardly lighting it up as a goalscorer. Right now, I'd take that deal right away. I can understand how some wouldn't and I can understand how it's not as good of a deal in some peoples eyes as it is in mine. But to say a team wouldn't change their opinions on a possible offer to trade up down the road, even one year later, is rather faulty.

Old
11-26-2004, 10:32 PM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by willie
I also have to wonder if this is possibly a dilemma that Taylor faced at the draft.
I do remember the commotion after the stewart pick from the Kings camp during the draft...it took them awhile to pick up tambellini and were talking to teams about trading (montreal)...I think the Kings wanted to get Stewart at that point and when he wasn't available, the Kings wanted to deal . . .

11-27-2004, 03:41 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan
And why wouldn't they? You telling me ateamthat turns down a trade offer or decides not to pursue a player once will never come back to that player or trade in the future? of course not. It's been over a year since the draft, Boyle is not progressing anywhere NEAR the same pace as Stewart is and Tambellini is hardly lighting it up as a goalscorer. Right now, I'd take that deal right away. I can understand how some wouldn't and I can understand how it's not as good of a deal in some peoples eyes as it is in mine. But to say a team wouldn't change their opinions on a possible offer to trade up down the road, even one year later, is rather faulty.
Why would LA trade the #26 and #27 for #25. If they wanted Stewart they could of accuired him at a better price. It's a bad trade for both teams. Florida lose a top prospect and gain a risky prospect. Stewarts stock has risen considerably since the draft whlie Boyle's stock has dipped.

Old
11-27-2004, 04:21 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
I do remember the commotion after the stewart pick from the Kings camp during the draft...it took them awhile to pick up tambellini and were talking to teams about trading (montreal)...I think the Kings wanted to get Stewart at that point and when he wasn't available, the Kings wanted to deal . . .
I would've rather dealt the Boyle pick and moved back for a couple of picks then pick Boyle.

Old
11-27-2004, 05:05 PM
wint
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Why would LA trade the #26 and #27 for #25.
By that logic, New York would be foolish to even consider trading their 15th pick (Nilsson) for Florida's 25th pick (Stewart). But that's putting too much emphasis on draft position for a draft that happened a year and a half ago. Since then, Anthony Stewart's stock has grown significantly.

Old
11-27-2004, 06:12 PM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

Nope.

I personally (might be one of the few to say it or think it) think that Stewart could develop into a better player than Horton.

Old
11-28-2004, 01:23 AM
bland

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vanbiesbrouck
Nope.

I personally (might be one of the few to say it or think it) think that Stewart could develop into a better player than Horton.

Anyone else sense the irony:

John Vanbiesbrouck supporting a player of African-American descent?

Lame joke, but I couldn't resist.

Old
11-28-2004, 03:54 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wint
By that logic, New York would be foolish to even consider trading their 15th pick (Nilsson) for Florida's 25th pick (Stewart). But that's putting too much emphasis on draft position for a draft that happened a year and a half ago. Since then, Anthony Stewart's stock has grown significantly.
New york are giving up far less compared to what LA are in this thread.

Old
11-28-2004, 12:11 PM
10 ft. pole

What about expanding or changing the deal.

Boyle, Tambellini, and Corvo
for
Stewart

or

Norstrom, Tambelini, Cammelarri, and a first rounder in 2006
for
Stewart and Horton or (Jokinen sp.)

Old
11-28-2004, 12:33 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Why would LA trade the #26 and #27 for #25. If they wanted Stewart they could of accuired him at a better price. It's a bad trade for both teams. Florida lose a top prospect and gain a risky prospect. Stewarts stock has risen considerably since the draft whlie Boyle's stock has dipped.
So Brendl(4th) and Stefan(1st) for Havlat (26th) is a horrid deal then for the team getting Havlat? It'd be silly to think like that, but according to your logic it is. It isn't a bad deal though because Havlat is easily worth that. How long after a draft do you have to go before you can drop the pick # and start focusing on the name? I'd say 18 months, which is how long it's been since the draft, is plenty. It is no longer the 25th for the 26th and the 27th. It's Tambellini and Boyle for Stewart. And LA would think a lot more about doing that trade now then 18 months ago. Plain and simple. And I'll reiterate, if I'm LA, I'm all over that.

Closed Thread