HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

SWE's plan for the WC: Omark to try-out, 'special case'

Old
03-28-2012, 02:45 PM
Doppler Drift

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
seems like a slap in the face to Omark to me.
Yes, I kind of thought that too, like they don't consider him the same as other NHL players who get a position. Odd.

Doppler Drift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Spawn

If Omark goes, I don't think we ever see him in NHL again for the Oilers or any team.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matte99 View Post
Its quite simple, look at Omarks stats, he hasn't produced more than 3 goals in the NHL. He also been off half the season with a serious injury. They want to see what he brings, and yes, his status as a hockey player has fallen since he went to Edmonton. 2 years ago he was a lock, last year too but he had to play in the ahl playoffs (where he played through an injury to his back) and couldn't join after.

I'm not surprised, the Linus who produced in the national team before he left to Oilers isn't to be found anymore. Edmontons development has erased those assets and made him into a rather uninteresting 3rd liner who doesn't bring anything worth having. If he doesn't get back to playing with the guts and creativity he used to have, his time in the national team is over. (that probably goes for the NHL as well)

So basically, they wont invite Linus if they cant have the option to say no in the end. Other NHL:ers that will be invited to the team will be a lock for the championship team.
So all his talent disappeared from his body because of the evil Oilers? Good grief, get a grip.

Old
03-28-2012, 02:50 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

vCash: 50
Oilers wreck Omark...

Tambo's fault...

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 03:32 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Well, I certainly don't understand their strategy in bringing him up to bench him, particularly when he's had a couple of pretty decent games, by all accounts, including Renney's.

Last season he had a few pretty incredible moments where he showed he has some definite physical talent - a couple of nice shootout moves, and I'm thinking of his move off the half-boards on the PP, which was Datysuk-lite.

He hasn't been the same player this season, and it's too bad he got the injury, because it screwed him both at OKC and Edmonton. From the OKC game reports, seems like he is still defensively lazy at times and trying to do too much.

From the Oiler games I've watched, it seems like he's really cut back on his creativity and is trying to play more defensively.

It's clearly a mental thing with him right now, but I'm not sure that's Nelson's or Renney's fault.

Guys either have the complete package and can even be NHL All-Stars whilst giving 50% effort, or else they've got a decent skill set and they need to fill a need somewhere.

At the professional levels in every sport, a large part of the success factor comes down to mental strength. And if Omark doesn't have it, it doesn't matter where he plays.

I wish the Oilers would play him the rest of the season to give him a fair shake, but mostly because we had to watch guys like JF Jacques and Pouliot play butt ugly for year after year, and it would be nice to have someone else on the team have the potential to do something exciting.

Besides Eberle, RNH and Petry, at this point, there is no point in watching the games. At least if Omark was in the mix, there could be potential for excitement.

So it's all selfish reasons with me

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:03 PM
Dont Hinder Jinder

Kind of a little karma?

Omark says he wants to play at the Worlds, but the SWE coach isn't guaranteeing him a spot? Wishing all the best for Linus, in whatever route he takes.

Dont Hinder Jinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:13 PM
Pennertration

Maybe the doubts from Sweden are a good thing for Omark - a sign that it's not just the Oilers who are concerned about his play. Hopefully it serves as a wakeup call.

Pennertration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:17 PM
Krigaren*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennertration View Post
Maybe the doubts from Sweden are a good thing for Omark - a sign that it's not just the Oilers who are concerned about his play. Hopefully it serves as a wakeup call.
Maybe the other way around aswell? Omark was a sure lock pre edmonton

Just kidding. Its weird thou that people think its karma just cause he said he would hope oilers would let him go to wc.

Krigaren* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:51 PM
Pennertration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krigaren View Post
Maybe the other way around aswell? Omark was a sure lock pre edmonton

Just kidding. Its weird thou that people think its karma just cause he said he would hope oilers would let him go to wc.
I don't really think it's karma. Omark's biggest problem off the ice is that he's to honest with the media. It can be refreshing but it can also provide a glimpse of a guy who doesn't appear to be too happy with the Oilers.

What's weird is this try-out from Sweden? It is somewhat insulting to Omark that they would ask this of him. And, of course, the Oilers somehow get caught in the middle of another cluster****

Pennertration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:51 PM
McClelland

This opportunity they give him on old meriths, they know the reward can be a deciding force in the Wc if hes in shape after injury and ahl time, and hasnt totally lost it.
There are many swedish nhl players whos never get the question to join the wc team.
Its more easy to find these role-players.

McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 05:08 PM
Matte99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
False attribution. Our other young kids, with the exception of MPS, seem to do just fine.

The Oilers wrecked Omark posts get really old. I suspect Omark has something to do with that himself.
I did clarify that it didn't see it as Oilers fault, perhaps reading the thread would help you perceive things in a more enlightened manner?

If Omark had the same opportunity as Ebs, Hall and MPS he would have be in a different situation. The amount of give aways from these players have been well in line with Omarks but Omark got punished for it. It is understandable but not beneficial for the players development (compare to Erik Karlsson, who got a lot of opportunity to hone is game while doing plenty of mistakes). I've mentioned it before, I think that if Oilers had put MPS in AHL and Linus in NHL from the start, both of them would be in much better shape today.

I also wrote that Omark needed to up his game one level and as far as i've seen he hasn't delivered on that.

And yes, I agree with the poster who mentioned the injury as very detrimental to Linus play. He looks weaker now the puck now than last year, also not as fast.

Matte99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 05:12 PM
Tedi

Quote:
I did clarify that it didn't see it as Oilers fault, perhaps reading the thread would help you perceive things in a more enlightened manner?

If Omark had the same opportunity as Ebs, Hall and MPS he would have be in a different situation. The amount of give aways from these players have been well in line with Omarks but Omark got punished for it. It is understandable but not beneficial for the players development (compare to Erik Karlsson, who got a lot of opportunity to hone is game while doing plenty of mistakes). I've mentioned it before, I think that if Oilers had put MPS in AHL and Linus in NHL from the start, both of them would be in much better shape today.

I also wrote that Omark needed to up his game one level and as far as i've seen he hasn't delivered on that.

And yes, I agree with the poster who mentioned the injury as very detrimental to Linus play. He looks weaker now the puck now than last year, also not as fast.
Maybe if he was as good as MPS, Hall or Ebs it would indeed be a different situation, see how that works. Do you always lead your cart before the horse.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 05:27 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
Who knows but I really doubt that any player calls up their national team coach to convince them to let him play... I don't know how you can believe that no matter what your opinions are regarding any single player.
Maybe the Oilers were considering waiving him to send him to the AHL for the playoffs but thought that if he could go to the WC that would be just as valuable as it would be to take the risk of losing him through waivers. Maybe they asked Omark to inquire with the national team coach if he would be welcome to play for them in the WC if he was made available by the Oilers. Seems like a likely scenario for Omark to ask if he would make the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Is this while the Oilers still have games to play? If so then no he isn't allowed to go. Edmonton is trying to move him and him going there and not making the WC would kill whatever is left of his value.
He would be allowed to go. The Oilers can give him permission to go to the WC even if they have games left. I don't think he has much value at all, he's a RFA who can barely cut it in the NHL. Your not getting much for Omark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
If Omark goes, I don't think we ever see him in NHL again for the Oilers or any team.
I think the Oilers would be happy if he made the team. they probably don't want to put him through waivers to send him down to OKC.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 05:35 PM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
That's an odd post... So if Omark goes to play in the WC after the season is over and the Oilers won't send him down due to waivers issues we will never see him again?

Does that go for any Oiler who has nothing better to do but going to the WC after the season???

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 05:43 PM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler Drift View Post
Yes, I kind of thought that too, like they don't consider him the same as other NHL players who get a position. Odd.
Obviously not since he's been spending most of his time in the AHL...

I really don't get some of you guys. Here's a guy, an Oiler non the less, who normally would never even have been considered for the national team based on his game the last couple of seasons but when the coach indicates that he may be given a chance due to his previous record, it's all bad?...

F***ing amazing.

Again

I remeber the time when they didn't call Samuelsson, Pahlsson, Nylander etc. (and we're talking a few years ago) for the WC and these guys were regulars on their teams at the time (and got pissed off since they weren't called... Well, not Pahlsson, he does not have emotion). Cazzo, how hard is it to give the kid a break. I'm truely happy for him that the management wants to give him a chance.

Old
03-28-2012, 05:49 PM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
Maybe the Oilers were considering waiving him to send him to the AHL for the playoffs but thought that if he could go to the WC that would be just as valuable as it would be to take the risk of losing him through waivers. Maybe they asked Omark to inquire with the national team coach if he would be welcome to play for them in the WC if he was made available by the Oilers. Seems like a likely scenario for Omark to ask if he would make the team.
Omark commented today about this and basically said (paraphrasing) that of course he'd like to represent SWE on home ice in the WC but he didn't know anything about it since he has not talked to the SWE management. Further down it is apparent though from his agent that he (i.e. the Omark's agent) was called up by them to discuss this 'special case' situation.

Old
03-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post
everything is the oilers fault. Schremp---oilers fault, POS--Oilers fault
Schremp has never been the player Omark is at any level.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:06 PM
Tedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
Schremp has never been the player Omark is at any level.
The difference was that at least Schremp paid his dues in the minors.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:08 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Omark commented today about this and basically said (paraphrasing) that of course he'd like to represent SWE on home ice in the WC but he didn't know anything about it since he has not talked to the SWE management. Further down it is apparent though from his agent that he (i.e. the Omark's agent) was called up by them to discuss this 'special case' situation.
Seems kind of weird, they call Omark to see if he wants to try out. You think if they wanted him on the team they would just ask him to play.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:21 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
The difference was that at least Schremp paid his dues in the minors.
Are you kidding me? He *****ed about being down there more than Omark and at least Omark had some legs to stand on. When he first was sent down he was clearly a top 12 forward out of camp, better than Paajarvi for sure. When he was down there he played hard and did what was asked of him, he never bolted for Europe. And unlike Schremp he was a star in Europe.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:29 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
BS Everybody read your post the same way I did and with the same false attribution I detected in it. Because thats what you wrote. If you don't want that kind of response then don't write false attribution.

Quote:
If Omark had the same opportunity as Ebs, Hall and MPS he would have be in a different situation. The amount of give aways from these players have been well in line with Omarks but Omark got punished for it.
"Omark got punished for it". This is priceless. Keep it coming. Heres something you may have noticed (probably not) Ebs, Hall, and RNH(not sure why you mentioned MPS) actually produce pts at a good clip. Something Omark doesn't do. Omark here has been a high risk/low reward player.

Quote:

Well I'm glad your realizing that Omark is accountable for his own substandard efforts and lack of performance and production here. In that I guess theres really no reason to blame that on the Oilers is there?

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 07:37 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

Translation: Omark might be on the right side of waivers (from his perspective), but he's not an NHL player in the eyes of Sweden.

This is win/win for the Oilers; either Omark plays in the WC, or he's taught a very valuable lesson about the fact that much work remains to be done on his game.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 07:56 PM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Obviously not since he's been spending most of his time in the AHL...

I really don't get some of you guys. Here's a guy, an Oiler non the less, who normally would never even have been considered for the national team based on his game the last couple of seasons but when the coach indicates that he may be given a chance due to his previous record, it's all bad?...

F***ing amazing.

Again

I remeber the time when they didn't call Samuelsson, Pahlsson, Nylander etc. (and we're talking a few years ago) for the WC and these guys were regulars on their teams at the time (and got pissed off since they weren't called... Well, not Pahlsson, he does not have emotion). Cazzo, how hard is it to give the kid a break. I'm truely happy for him that the management wants to give him a chance.
What are you on about? My posting did not disparage Omark in any way shape or form. I thought that the way the Swedish Ice Hockey (Federation isn't it) worded this was a bit of a slap in the face to Omark.

May I suggest trying to understand what is being stated before making your next response.

Old
03-28-2012, 08:40 PM
Matte99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
BS Everybody read your post the same way uI did and with the same false attribution I detected in it. Because thats what you wrote. If you don't want that kind of response then don't write false attribution.

"Omark got punished for it". This is priceless. Keep it coming. Heres something you may have noticed (probably not) Ebs, Hall, and RNH(not sure why you mentioned MPS) actually produce pts at a good clip. Something Omark doesn't do. Omark here has been a high risk/low reward player.

Well I'm glad your realizing that Omark is accountable for his own substandard efforts and lack of performance and production here. In that I guess theres really no reason to blame that on the Oilers is there?
It says THREAD not post, its multiple posts... And yeah Omark wasn't allowed to mess up because he is a late pick. Its not about this season, last season Omark produced at the same rate as Ebs and Hall. This year, Ebs has evolved to a great player, Hall has edge with his speed, strenght and determination but his overall hockey sense leaves me rather unimpressed. Hopefully it will come with experience if he wont become a player with injury problems first.

Overall, Omarks "game" is gone and he plays fairly responsible hockey without bringing much worth seeing. Sure, defense is better but that's not why Oilers signed him, he need to produce and play responsible.

And yes, i do think Oilers didnt handle him right to maximize his ability and the same with MPS. Its not all that strange considering the amount of rookies on the team but saying its not so is simply ignorance.

Matte99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:04 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
It says THREAD not post, its multiple posts...
I think its pretty clear to anybody reading that my initial response was to your first post and perhaps why I directly quoted it. Your second post in the thread was all over the place and I don't even know what you're waffling about in it.

Waffling which unfortunately you've continued with. I still think your take is baloney. You've just continued on with it.

Quote:
And yeah Omark wasn't allowed to mess up because he is a late pick. Its not about this season, last season Omark produced at the same rate as Ebs and Hall.
You might want to clarify this sample a bit and point out any statistical validity to it. Also what are you talking about? EV, ppg, /60mins, PP, what? Its much more interesting to the reader to have an idea of what you're talking about.

Quote:
This year, Ebs has evolved to a great player, Hall has edge with his speed, strenght and determination but his overall hockey sense leaves me rather unimpressed.
I'll try to remember with a straight face that you're stating this relative to a thread on Omark. I'll leave you to think about that a bit.

Quote:
Overall, Omarks "game" is gone and he plays fairly responsible hockey without bringing much worth seeing.
Who would really be responsible for a 25yr old professionals game being "gone"? I'll hold you to that because its the one thing you're right about.

Quote:
Sure, defense is better but that's not why Oilers signed him, he need to produce and play responsible. And yes, i do think Oilers didnt handle him right to maximize his ability and the same with MPS. Its not all that strange considering the amount of rookies on the team but saying its not so is simply ignorance.
The typical someone is "ignorant" if they don't share the same views response.

Please elucidate further. We wouldn't want ignorance reigning here..

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote