HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 77 | Detroit Red Wings @ Columbus Blue Jackets | 7:30 PM EST |NBCSN (HD)|

Old
03-29-2012, 07:27 AM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign View Post
Ive said all Ive needed to say about the Wings. It just depends on who is right at this point. Nashville will have a big say in that.
Have you downgraded the 2nd round loss to a 1st round loss?

I think we need a color scale so we know how alarmed to be each day.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 08:20 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

A guaranteed win was it?

This team frustrate the **** out of me....

mindfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 08:21 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
I think it'll be back, in a lesser form. You won't have Hatcher tackling guys, but they are going to encourage more holding along the boards, in particular.
I think they will intend for it to be in a lesser form, but once they start letting it creep back a little, it'll be a constant battle to limit it. My problem is I'm not sure how much it will affect what they will want it to: limiting concussions by giving guys another option than lighting someone up. There were tons of headshots in the 90s, tons of guys getting destroyed, despite the torpid pace.

I wonder if the opposite might be true, that pushing for less interference might be the way to go. If you eliminate the ability to impede if you're beat, it makes it harder to take the risk of stepping up to lay a guy out.

03-29-2012, 09:15 AM
wingnutjeff

That was Pathetic, it wasn't even worth the hard drive space on the DVR.

wingnutjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:38 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

There's no need for panic, but there is need for concern certainly.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:48 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
We were awful, plain and simple,'' Kronwall said. “We didn't do any of the things we talked about, made it way too easy on them.

There's no excuses, we have to be way better than that. It's not acceptable. We took a step backwards.''
I swear they've said exactly this after games 15 times this season, Kronwall especially... and they just continue to be unacceptable..

Old
03-29-2012, 10:00 AM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
There's no need for panic, but there is need for concern certainly.
They are just like Vancouver. Losses come against easier teams, when there's "not enough challenge". When the meaningless games are over, we will be fine.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:25 AM
DarkReign

Quote:

Orange, for sure. I understand this being the dog days of the season for a team that has already secured a playoff spot. I really do.

But I dont think this roster or coaching staff for that matter has a "switch" that can be flipped on for the playoffs. Past teams did, this one imo, does not. We shall see.

Ive been doom and gloom on this year's team and I am sure its grating for some around here so I havent been commenting lately for that reason. Needless to say, this team has done nothing to dispel the pessimism I have about their chances of getting out of the first round. Theyre playing Nashville, most likely without home ice advantage. Not good.

So its out there, I feel a lot of this underachievement falls on the coaches, especially Babcock. The PP and PK have yet to show any marked improvement over the course of 75-ish games. They both still suck in the worst way (relative to other playoff teams). Babcock still has some weird loyalty to underperforming veterans.

I can only speculate on the last point. He must have an extreme appreciation of Cleary as a player and as a man off the ice. I am sure these players go through a lot of horrible, painful treatments to even play (think Gilchrist 1997, iirc). Maybe Cleary is going through something like that on a regular basis that endears Babcock to him as a warrior.

I admire Cleary for the effort, I really do. But he is completely ineffective and used entirely too much in too many important situations.

Take last night's game. I realize the team sucked from start to finish. Blame Conklin all you want, he didnt help thats for sure, but the lack of offense has nothing to do with the goaltender's play. Down 4-2 in the last 3 minutes, the Wings need a goal quickly to even have a crack the win, Babcock inexplicably puts a jumbled line out there for 3 shifts with under 5 mins to play of Cleary-Abdelkader-Bertuzzi after loading the top line (ZDH).

Seriously? 3 shifts for that hot mess?! BTW, the line did absolutely nothing on the ice. It was a trainwreck. I figured, give it a chance, maybe these are the guys who showed effort in a game with little of it, but I just missed it. "Effort" is not a word I would have used to describe that line in that game.

Stuart was god awful as was White. Quincey is most likely the worst use of a 1st round pick that I can recall, I dont care if its the 20-30th pick in a weak draft, the guy isnt worth it. He is worth a late 2nd and thats being generous.

Too many holes in the roster (Holland), too many deficiencies (Coaches), too many lapses in effort (Players) and too many games are not started on time (Coaches and Players, mostly coaches imo). Is it lack of leadership in the room? Speculation on my part but these efforts can be barely characterized as such from a professional roster.

I'll end on a positive; Flip-Z-Hudler is still a great 2nd line. PP has looked dangerous for 3 games in a row now, which is encouraging. Kronwall is cementing himself as a goal-scoring defensemen which contrary to popular opinion, is not an easy to asset to find, especially when you consider that at worst, he is average defensively across the NHL spectrum.

Thats about it.

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:28 AM
DarkReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
They are just like Vancouver. Losses come against easier teams, when there's "not enough challenge". When the meaningless games are over, we will be fine.
The difference of course is that Vancouver has literally almost nothing to play for. They are secured as the 2nd seed in the Western conference with only the most remote of chances to overtake STL for 1st.

These games literally mean next to nothing for them. A "win" for Vancouver right now is getting out of every game injury free and not develop bad habits defensively.

Wings are not in that same position in any way.

Old
03-29-2012, 10:57 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
The problem is that a #5 seed leaves you in a pretty bad shape for the playoffs. As I pointed out a while back, teams without home ice almost never win the Cup, the success rates are incredibly minimal. This team squandered a shot at a #1 or #2 seed, and now they are in the process of squandering the #4 seed.

I think one needs to be realistic at some point and possibly take the view into consideration that a #4/#5 seed is just what this team is, a garden variety playoff team, not a real Cup contender. We will find out soon enough, the playoffs begin in less than two weeks now.

Old
03-29-2012, 11:03 AM
aar000n

Quote:

I am in double secret severe panic mode right now.

aar000n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:15 AM
ricky0034

I think people are vastly overrating how much getting the 4th seed instead of the 5th matters

these games aren't important

ricky0034 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:18 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
I think people are vastly overrating how much getting the 4th seed instead of the 5th matters

Wings are decent to good at home, suck on the road... see the difference there?

As a 4th seed, if you win every home game and lose every away game, in the 1st round, you go through to round 2, winning the series 4-3

Old
03-29-2012, 11:29 AM
DarkReign

Quote:

History disagrees with you.

Old
03-29-2012, 11:34 AM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post

As a 4th seed, if you win every home game and lose every away game, in the 1st round, you go through to round 2, winning the series 4-3
I view the difference between the 4th and 5th seed as likely the difference between a 5 game series win for the Wings and a 6 game one

considering how slow the Wings started their second round series last year after sweeping the first round that might even be a good thing

Old
03-29-2012, 11:36 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
I view the difference between the 4th and 5th seed as likely the difference between a 5 game series win for the Wings and a 6 game one

considering how slow the Wings started their second round series last year after sweeping the first round that might even be a good thing
Historically the chances of a #4 seed winning the Cup are more than double those of a #5 seed.

Old
03-29-2012, 11:39 AM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Historically the chances of a #4 seed winning the Cup are more than double those of a #5 seed.
based on what?

the fact that 2 of each seed have won it?

Old
03-29-2012, 11:40 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post

You have to be able to win on the road in the playoffs. Even if you get through one round like that, you won't make it through four of them. In that vein, I'm not sure what happens in the regular season will be indicative of what will happen in the playoffs for any team.

For the Wings, they have a bunch of guys who have repeatedly stepped up in the playoffs, and they are getting healthy at the right time. We'll just have to roll with it and see what happens.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:41 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign View Post
History disagrees with you.
How much of that history has been since the cap and the freakish amount of parity?

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:43 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

You guys worry too much.

Every team is going to take a couple nights off, and why not take off a night when you're on the road vs the worst team in the league?

For the CBJ this game had alot of significance:

Redemption after that 7-2 crushing Monday night.
National TV (notice how Nash was playing like his career depends on it?)
York's chance for his first win.
Home ice vs a team from Michigan, good chance to redeme yourself with the fans.

The one knock I hear year in year out on the Wings is that they don't handle physical opponents well, and while I don't necessary buy into that, tonight that seemed to be the case.

I've never seen Datsyuk look so confused and out of sync on the ice. At one point, on a delayed penalty against Dorsett, Datsyuk got caught hunched over watching his pass as Dorsett came into him from his blind side. Make no mistake, Dorse let up and lowered his shoulder at the last second to avoid hitting Dats in the head. That could have been very ugly for the Wings. I've never seen 13 look this bad, but you know he'll shake it off and probably put up multiple points next outing.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:44 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:

LOL
Looking at the freakin' chart, you have to wonder if Homeland Security would ever allow that thing to hit "Low"

Especially not before asking Congress for its budget

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:49 AM
ricky0034

the 5 seed is actually 7-5 against the 4 seed since the lockout

if you narrow it down to just the western conference instead of both conferences it's actually 5-1 in favor of the 5 seed since the lockout

Old
03-29-2012, 11:49 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I think they will intend for it to be in a lesser form, but once they start letting it creep back a little, it'll be a constant battle to limit it. My problem is I'm not sure how much it will affect what they will want it to: limiting concussions by giving guys another option than lighting someone up. There were tons of headshots in the 90s, tons of guys getting destroyed, despite the torpid pace.

I wonder if the opposite might be true, that pushing for less interference might be the way to go. If you eliminate the ability to impede if you're beat, it makes it harder to take the risk of stepping up to lay a guy out.
I dunno...
But the last time I "kronwalled" someone, it was because my forward was backchecking and the guy lost control of the ball, and had it in his feet. I stepped up to play the ball and knock it free, and he just kept running, so I made sure I braced... he went down like a sack of potatoes...
It was awesome! It was supposed to be a no hitting league, and somehow I didn't get called for the biggest hit of the season. He was OK though, just got the wind knocked out him. #shouldertochest (Brad Stuart Style)

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:51 AM
Heaton
#hope

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
I dunno...
But the last time I "kronwalled" someone, it was because my forward was backchecking and the guy lost control of the ball, and had it in his feet. I stepped up to play the ball and knock it free, and he just kept running, so I made sure I braced... he went down like a sack of potatoes...
It was awesome! It was supposed to be a no hitting league, and somehow I didn't get called for the biggest hit of the season. He was OK though, just got the wind knocked out him. #shouldertochest (Brad Stuart Style)
Did you fight him?

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 11:52 AM
DarkReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
How much of that history has been since the cap and the freakish amount of parity?
Very little but stats is stats.