HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burke Stay The Course

Old
03-28-2012, 07:23 AM
The Messenger

vCash: 500
Burke Stay The Course

Nobody on these boards has been a bigger critic of Cox over the years than me. But I think he finally got it right. I cannot agree more with him, especially the symbolism of keeping our 1st round pick.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...tay-the-course

There was this assumption, apparently, that when Brian Burke arrived three years and four months ago, not only would he make it happen, he would make it happen with dazzling speed and without making some pretty messy errors along the way.?

Never mind that Glen Sather arrived in Manhattan in 2000 with a much grander resumé and only now has produced a terrific hockey team. Never mind that the Sedins were drafted in 1999 and only got the Canucks to the Cup final last year. Never mind that the Blues started rebuilding in 2005, missed the post-season five of the last six springs and finally stepped forward into the limelight this season.

Burke, apparently, was somehow going to do it faster than all of those teams and without the need of an eraser.

This year’s first-rounder is now more than a pick. It’s a symbol. More to the point, it will be hugely symbolic if it’s traded because it will be evidence of a scattershot approach, of heading down the same desperate road as so many previous Leaf GMs.?

Last edited by The Messenger: 03-28-2012 at 07:43 AM.
The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 07:27 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Nobody on these boards has been a bigger critic of Cox over the years than me. But I think he finally got it right. I cannot agree more with him, especially the symbolism of keeping our 1st round pick.

The problem with staying the course is that Burke never set course for a rebuild. That's why most fans including myself are confused as to what the actual course is. I'm all for the tank but you don't trade your first round picks if you are. Burke strayed from the course almost immediately when he made the Kessel deal. Now four years later he's going to get back on course?

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 07:35 AM
daveleaf

Burke is a blow hard idiot. All bark but no bite just like this team. I get a kick knowing the other GM's getting a good laugh on old Burkey.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 07:36 AM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
Burke is a blow hard idiot. All bark but no bite just like this team. I get a kick knowing the other GM's getting a good laugh on old Burkey.
And how do you know this? Please share.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 07:37 AM
KingBuzzo
A custom title.

Wow, I agree with Damien Cox, aside from the whole "retarded" word of choice talking about Percy and his concussion problems, but I agree with him. Trading the first rounder this year would be a mistake and would reek of desperation for a playoff stint.

KingBuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 07:38 AM
bobbyflex

Burkie doesn't need to do too much this offseason. Leafs were a playoff team for 90% of the season. So the 2nd youngest team in the NHL collapsed in a market with the highest pressure? Big surprise.

All he needs to do is solidify his goaltending. Get rid of as many members of LACK as he can. and add some toughness to the forward group.

We'll be fine.

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 07:47 AM
arpa76

Quote:
Stop reading Steve Simmons -- if you do, and take what he says as gospel, then you ARE NO Leafs fan. Simmons pulls stuff out of his you know where in order to come across as a viable journalist.

arpa76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 07:56 AM
Ari91

I think Burke and his people are the only people who really know what the 'course' is and frankly, staying the course may be the safest option for him. It's a pretty fragile time right now and if he were to completely change whatever it is he's doing then his bosses may lose confidence in him - or lose more confidence in him (I don't know what the state of that situation is).

I guess at this point he just has to fake it til he makes it because it's only going to draw even more attention to him if he comes around talking about completely abandoning his plan and starting afresh. I don't know if he has enough time left on his contract to start afresh.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:02 AM
Leafsman

Quote:
Pot meet kettle!!!

In what fantasy land did you come up with the idea of other GM's laughing at Burke! There's a couple in Calgary and Anaheim that are likely not laughing too hard!

Leafsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:10 AM
Stats01

Just stay the course, keep the first rounder, we'll have a top5-6 pick, keep building the youth, get rid of L.A.C.K and get some much needed size on this team. Trading our first this year isn't going to all of a sudden change our fortunes, if we're going to suck we might as well benefit from it at the draft. We've done a great job building up the prospect pool, don't stop now.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:10 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Not gonna criticized Burkie till the draft and free agency - if he does nada, then he deserves to be ousted.

Giuseppe Sallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:11 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsman View Post
Pot meet kettle!!!

In what fantasy land did you come up with the idea of other GM's laughing at Burke! There's a couple in Calgary and Anaheim that are likely not laughing too hard!
I think most of the other GMs are actually shaking in their boots knowing fulll well that the masterful Burke will have an off-season of epic proportions, thereby building the Leafs into that dynasty that will eventually have the NHL step in and break the team up due to unfair competition.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:18 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
If you’re the Leafs, sure, this summer you can trade one young player for something that fills an immediate hole or need, but you keep the rest and draft more. If Joe Colborne becomes Patrik Berglund over time and Nazem Kadri grows into David Perron, maybe in two years the Leafs are where the Blues are now. Perhaps the success St. Louis is having by the reunion of Doug Armstrong and Ken Hitchcock is a good sign for the Burke-Randy Carlyle tandem.

But it was always going to take longer than three years and four months. Burke needs to tell the public that, and the best way to demonstrate he believes it himself starts with this June’s first-round pick.
Team is more than a healthy goalie away from being good. Let's hope Carlyle can build structure into the team and Burke can clean up a couple premature signings and stay a course.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:20 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Cox is rediculous. He plays the feild whichever way gets people reading. He appeals to the masses. One week the team is in shambles and is a disaster. The next week we need to trade Phill Kessel. Then once all is said and done and hes milked all he can out of this teams fans personally driving them through the roller coaster, he says "BURKE NEEDS TO STAY THE COURSE".

This guy is scum

He has zero journalism integrity. IF he wants me to be a supporter he will stick to his real oppinion rather then just writing to get people to remember his name.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:20 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Team is more than a healthy goalie away from being good. Let's hope Carlyle can build structure into the team and Burke can clean up a couple premature signings and stay a course.
Sir, it's more than that. If we had Lundquist in net, this team would still be a mess.

Giuseppe Sallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:21 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
Burkie doesn't need to do too much this offseason. Leafs were a playoff team for 90% of the season. So the 2nd youngest team in the NHL collapsed in a market with the highest pressure? Big surprise.

All he needs to do is solidify his goaltending. Get rid of as many members of LACK as he can. and add some toughness to the forward group.

We'll be fine.
You say 'not much' but it's a lot. He hasn't been able to add the toughness, get a number 1 goalie and rid himself of dead weight in 4 years -- how does he do it all in one summer? After all the dead weight the Leafs have now was all added by him.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:24 AM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
I have to agree with Cox on this one. Don't like agreeing with him, but when he's right it's fine.

Can't move that pick, unless Burke is moving up. After this season people just need that pick and also not seeing a sign that Burke is panicking. Has to do what he can with the summer and go into next year hoping for better.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:24 AM
Toasterman

Wow, I actually agree with Cox on this.

It really was never going to happen right away and it always surprises me that so many people assumed it would.

Toasterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:25 AM
Interactif

Quote:

There was this assumption, apparently, that when Brian Burke arrived three years and four months ago, not only would he make it happen, he would make it happen with dazzling speed and without making some pretty messy errors along the way.?

Never mind that Glen Sather arrived in Manhattan in 2000 with a much grander resumé and only now has produced a terrific hockey team. Never mind that the Sedins were drafted in 1999 and only got the Canucks to the Cup final last year. Never mind that the Blues started rebuilding in 2005, missed the post-season five of the last six springs and finally stepped forward into the limelight this season.

Burke, apparently, was somehow going to do it faster than all of those teams and without the need of an eraser.

This year’s first-rounder is now more than a pick. It’s a symbol. More to the point, it will be hugely symbolic if it’s traded because it will be evidence of a scattershot approach, of heading down the same desperate road as so many previous Leaf GMs.?
Agree, as I said with the article that inferred it was time to move in a different direction with Kessel, this is just as good an article. Well surmised by Cox.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:25 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
Sir, it's more than that. If we had Lundquist in net, this team would still be a mess.
I believe that is what I said. You don't undo 3 years of coaching in a month.

Perhaps Burke was attempting to be competitive while rebuilding the prospects depth, trying to serve two masters, win now and win later. Results are the results, not a good NHL team and not a cupboard full of bluechippers.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:26 AM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post

We'll be fine.
This.

We had it, I mean had it, we were comfortably in a playoff spot in Februrary, with hopes of jumping to home ice advantage.

Then, the wheels fell off...completely off.

I think the best course of action is looking at WHY this drought started and why it continued. Fill these holes, keep our 1st (which Burke will do) to add a solid prospect and come back swinging next year.

IMO, primary things to be adressed from this season:

A) Goaltending: Gus is done as a Leaf. I'd imagine we'll see Burke bring in a veteran that can still play 40games and split him with Reimer. Should help Reimer quite a bit.

B) Veteran Forward: I think we need a veteran forward (or two) that could really help out with our relatively young leadership group. I look at Arnott and Langenbrunner as 2 keys to the huge success of a young blues team. We need a few guys like this.

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JackJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Cox is rediculous. He plays the feild whichever way gets people reading. He appeals to the masses. One week the team is in shambles and is a disaster. The next week we need to trade Phill Kessel. Then once all is said and done and hes milked all he can out of this teams fans personally driving them through the roller coaster, he says "BURKE NEEDS TO STAY THE COURSE".

This guy is scum

He has zero journalism integrity. IF he wants me to be a supporter he will stick to his real oppinion rather then just writing to get people to remember his name.

One day people will realize this.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CoolBlue*

I don't have a puppy or a parrott so i don't have any use for Damian Cox's articles.

But from what i can gather from this thread Northern Dancer is still drinking the Kool-Aid after 45 years and Damian Cox has a hardon for an aging washed up NHL GM.

CoolBlue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:27 AM
htpwn

Quote:
And how do you know this? Please share.
Darren Dreger did mention something to the effect in a radio interview a couple months ago.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 08:28 AM
NiL8r87

How can this moron say one week that we have to trade Kessel and then the next week say we need to stay the course?

NiL8r87 is offline   Reply With Quote