HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you re-sign Burke?

View Poll Results: Would you resign Burke?
Yes 119 55.61%
No 95 44.39%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

vCash: 50
Would you re-sign Burke?

If his contract were up at the end of this season would you.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:02 PM
Charizard
I'm Batman

vCash: 500
As much as I love the dude, no, he's not getting the job done.

Charizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:03 PM
spidergoalie

resign or re-sign? oh how important that dash is!!!

spidergoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:04 PM
headwire

Why would we have to force him to resign if his contract is up anyways?

Edit: In all seriousness, I would not re-sign Burke. I suspect that the players may have lost interest in playing for Burke after he failed to make any improvements to the goaltending situation at the trade deadline. I'm by no means claiming that this is a fact, just a suspicion that I have.

headwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:10 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

Nonis could step in.

but honestly Burke has done good stuff.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:12 PM
rumman

his inability to improve the team is apparent, his relationship with the media is a distraction, if he was only half as good as he thinks he is there wouldn't be a problem, but that's not the case.

rumman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:15 PM
landeskog11

sign him for 5 more years we need some high draft picks!

landeskog11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:17 PM
Morlu

No. His time is done. He could've been a legend in Toronto, but he blew it. I'm gonna miss Burkies Hot dogs at the games though

Morlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:10 PM
Whydidijoin*

Yes. He would and should be re-signed if his contract ended today. Anybody who says otherwise is short-sighted and unrealistic, or not a real Leaf fan, which unfortunately is a large and most vocal portion of this board.

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:18 PM
ansoncarter

omg burke is winning this poll too

this forum is fascinating

ansoncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:25 PM
Drew311
Play Me

We haven't even seen what 90% of his draft picks can contribute to this team. To give the guy the GM job for 3 - 4 years and expect to see the fruits of his labour within this time span is unrealistic.

Give the guy a 2 year extension and watch what guys like Kadri, Ross, McKegg, Percy, Biggs, Carrick, etc. can do for the team. If nothing, then yes, fire him.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:39 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
We haven't even seen what 90% of his draft picks can contribute to this team. To give the guy the GM job for 3 - 4 years and expect to see the fruits of his labour within this time span is unrealistic.

Give the guy a 2 year extension and watch what guys like Kadri, Ross, McKegg, Percy, Biggs, Carrick, etc. can do for the team. If nothing, then yes, fire him.
But if he built the team a certain way that has failed how does drafting players based on those needs all of a sudden work?

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:46 PM
MountainGoat
Re-sign Jagr

Burke has built the worst leaf team I can remember watching

if his plan is tank this year and next year as he should have done 4 years ago then maybe but I don't trust him with draft picks and because he has no patience I think he would end up making another stupid trade

2004 is the last time this team made the playoffs and we have no elite prospects since then to make up for it

MountainGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:46 PM
Guy Boucher

If you asked me at the beginning of the year if this team would make the playoffs, I would have told you: "It depends on James Reimer".

This team has done much better than I would have imagined considering the goaltending it has received.

Tearing it all down and removing the GM would be making a bad situation even worse.

Take a note from Ottawa: Keep the GM, keep the stars, find a goalie and give the youngsters some playing time.

Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:59 PM
deaneryoungblood

Yes I'd re-sign Burke.
I know we said he wasn't interested in the traditional rebuild, and wasn't going to do it, but my take on this team is that he has done exactly that. They are one of the youngest teams. They have a number of quality prospects; perhaps not the so-called 'blue-chippers', but nonetheless, 5 recent 1st rounders in Colbourne, Ashton, Kadri, Biggs, and Percy.
Perhaps most importantly - I think this team belongs in the 7th-8th position; a spot they held (if not better) for half the year. But they crashed and are now broken. Every year this happens to different teams. Last year it was New Jersey - they were a playoff team, but didnt make it because of their start. This year it is Anaheim - again a playoff team that is not going to make it.
Basically this team is still improving, and as long as thats the case, then Burke is fine in my books. Who on this team could anyone reasonably expect to regress by next year? On the other hand, i think its fair to assume that 80% of them should improve

deaneryoungblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 04:44 PM
Mowerman

Yes. I'd give him 3 years.

Mowerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 04:46 PM
dubey
~manlets~

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
Nonis could step in.

but honestly Burke has done good stuff.
If Burke is fired I would think the whole management team would go

What are these guys doing? Shouldn't they share the blame?

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 04:51 PM
Caesium

vCash: 1040
I would resign Burke. I wouldn't re-sign him.

Caesium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 04:52 PM
haayward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post

No it's not at all. When Burke came here we all heard about how it would be less than 5 years to turn around. "I'm not interested in a 5 year rebuild". If the majority of his contract is up (4 out of 5 years) with no tangible results (probably going to finish with less points than Burke's first year) than absolutely we can judge him on his time here.

haayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 04:52 PM
dougieg93
flip for filip

Yes I'd resign him, and if the Marlies get the Calder I will sign him long term. I think the situation JFJ put him was pretty dire in terms of a depleted prospect pool and an aging lineup. Burke reshaped our organization to reflect how perennial playoff teams build and will need to build due to salary cap.

dougieg93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 06:36 PM
MorriPage

The biggest problem I have with Burke is his big mouth. He makes all these concrete declarations and paints himself into a corner if/when they don't work out the way he said they were going to. He needs to just shut up and do his job in anonymity. Look at some of the best GMs in the game: Ken Holland, David Poile, Doug Armstrong, Don Maloney, just to name a few. They're never in the spotlight unless they're announcing yet another excellent trade or signing.

MorriPage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 06:38 PM
Jerkini

I'll need next season to decide.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 06:51 PM
Canadian Game

I would sign him for 3 years and evaluate from there. Overall he has been great IMO and the main thing he missed on this year was getting a reliable goaltender. However, I understand his wanting to take the risk and go with Gustavsson and Reimer. Almost all of the issues this season were not his fault (we've seen what the players can do), the problem was coaching (mainly special teams).

It's funny how once Wilson went there was a sudden shift of people then calling for Burke's head.

At the crazy rate Leaf fans are looking for someone to blame, maybe Andy Frost should be worried since he's been in the organization almost longer than anyone else lol.

Canadian Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 07:04 PM
Drew311
Play Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by haayward View Post
No it's not at all. When Burke came here we all heard about how it would be less than 5 years to turn around. "I'm not interested in a 5 year rebuild". If the majority of his contract is up (4 out of 5 years) with no tangible results (probably going to finish with less points than Burke's first year) than absolutely we can judge him on his time here.
Burke says a lot of things, and I think this statement was to please the fans considering they haven't seen much meaningful hockey in the past 8 years. Drafting and developing is the best way to put multiple players into your organization, and we haven't seen the success/failure rate of his picks. Granted, Burke has traded some picks for immediate help, but he has also filled the prospect pool up with kids that may make the team better within the next 3 years. If prospects like Ross, Kadri, Biggs and Colborne turn into impact players then everyone will be kissing Burke's feet 3 years from now. If we're still terrible in 3 years, he may go down as the worst GM in Leafs history considering his free agent and draft picks were complete busts.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 07:06 PM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
Nope.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote