HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Burke Stay The Course

Old
03-28-2012, 05:32 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

vCash: 500
I love how he says the only ones questioning him are clueless

really, clueless?

it's clueless to question how a GM can come in and make a team worse year over year?

I find that questionable results, to say the least, and worthy of critique.

Burke is the new Mike Milbury.

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 05:45 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

I think Burke accepts what he has done.

I don't think fans hold him accountable.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 05:57 PM
Mr Irrelevant

Shorter Cox: Hey, surprises happen. Unless you're 100% positive we won't be one of them sometime in the next 6-7 years, you can't say the GM has done a poor job.

Mr Irrelevant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:00 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

I agree. Burke's big mouth has created unreasonable expectations, other than that he's done a good job.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:03 PM
Pyromaniac3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
I love how he says the only ones questioning him are clueless

really, clueless?

it's clueless to question how a GM can come in and make a team worse year over year?

I find that questionable results, to say the least, and worthy of critique.

Burke is the new Mike Milbury.
So do you like where the Flames are heading? Consistently competing for playoffs with no hope for the future?

Pyromaniac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:08 PM
cynicism

Jesus H Christ

Two weeks ago it was "TRADE KESSEL FTW" not its "STAY DA COURSE FTW"

I know it's Cox' job to get people to read his mediocre columns, but would a little consistency or intellectual honest hurt?

cynicism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:29 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
Your opinion.
goes without saying.

your opinion is that he acquired all those nhlers in order to get a lottery pick in 2012. a strange opinion. no logic behind that whatsoever.

your credibility is gone.

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:41 PM
JB Maple Leafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
Burkie doesn't need to do too much this offseason. Leafs were a playoff team for 90% of the season. So the 2nd youngest team in the NHL collapsed in a market with the highest pressure? Big surprise.

All he needs to do is solidify his goaltending. Get rid of as many members of LACK as he can. and add some toughness to the forward group.

We'll be fine.
Well said...

JB Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:41 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
goes without saying.

your opinion is that he acquired all those nhlers in order to get a lottery pick in 2012. a strange opinion. no logic behind that whatsoever.

your credibility is gone.
There's plenty of logic behind what I said but not what you're saying I'm talking about.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:44 PM
Frankie

Quote:
There's plenty of logic behind what I said but not what you're saying I'm talking about.
you're saying his plan all along was to get a lottery pick this year. that's what he was planning when he acquired all those nhlers. brutal, unreasonable thinking. no credibility left whatsoever.

Old
03-28-2012, 06:48 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
you're saying his plan all along was to get a lottery pick this year. that's what he was planning when he acquired all those nhlers. brutal, unreasonable thinking. no credibility left whatsoever.
Yes I did mention it was a possibility, how can you prove this wasn't his plan?

Burke's a former lawyer, don't take everything he says at face value. Like mistaking re-tool and rebuilding for a different thing.

Old
03-28-2012, 06:53 PM
In Dion We Trust

cry me a river cox, Burke has gone out and said on multiple occasions that he does not feel he needs the time frame of a "traditional rebuild". I would argue that burke himself would consider his progress thus far to be very minimal given the approach he has chosen to take.

I agree with a vast majority of his choices thus far, however he has added a ridiculous amount of pressure to the players with his "playoff or bust" attitude every year, on top of the already large amount that comes with being a leaf.

In Dion We Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Busher Jackson
4x 1st Team Allstar

The same media tools who were calling for Pat Quinn's head after 4 years as GM because he was a failure, despite 100 point seasons, Division Championships and two conference finals are the same clowns saying that Burke should be given more time for his failures.

It's pathetic how the Burke bootlickers in the media fall over backwards defending Burke's failures when they danced in the streets when the successful Quinn was sacked.

Busher Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 07:05 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Cox is really bi-polar sometimes. Alright article though, I guess.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 07:49 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Yes I did mention it was a possibility, how can you prove this wasn't his plan?
you're resorting to ridiculous tactics now. you know you have no credibility left. you're wrong, you've been exposed, and you know it.

Quote:
Burke's a former lawyer, don't take everything he says at face value. Like mistaking re-tool and rebuilding for a different thing.
i'm not looking at his words, i'm looking at his actions. his actions show he's made a complete mess of things.

Old
03-28-2012, 08:11 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
you're resorting to ridiculous tactics now. you know you have no credibility left. you're wrong, you've been exposed, and you know it.

i'm not looking at his words, i'm looking at his actions. his actions show he's made a complete mess of things.
You know if he takes a hard line and cuts some of his mistakes he could get this back on track.

I agree he's messed up, obviously! Lottery pick this year? There isn't a soul who believes that was his goal for 2012.

Nonis today called it a rebuild, yes, rebuild not retool. That is what it should have been from the beginning.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 09:06 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 950
Cox trollimg hard with this trash .

"Stay the course " if Burke stayed the course he'd trade the pick not keep it .

"There was an assumption that Burke would turn this team around in dazzling speed". You're right Cox , the assumption was based on Burkes repeated statements that he would turn the team around quickly .

Where is the blowhard anyway , why you hiding Burkie ? Why are you sending out your homies to spin your **** .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:13 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Dion We Trust View Post
cry me a river cox, Burke has gone out and said on multiple occasions that he does not feel he needs the time frame of a "traditional rebuild". I would argue that burke himself would consider his progress thus far to be very minimal given the approach he has chosen to take.

I agree with a vast majority of his choices thus far, however he has added a ridiculous amount of pressure to the players with his "playoff or bust" attitude every year, on top of the already large amount that comes with being a leaf.
"I don't need the timeframe of a traditional rebuild....just a few lottery picks over 5-6 years"

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:30 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:

No there is plenty of logic behind what I've said Frankie, here's just a little example.

1. Last season we gave up the 9th overall pick to Boston, meaning we finished 22nd overall
2. The season before we gave up the 2nd overall pick to Boston, meaning we finished 29th overall
3. The season before that one we picked at 7th overall (Kadri), meaning we finished 24th overall
4. And lastly another 7th overall (we moved up this year to take Schenn at 5th), meaning we finished 24th overall

Looking at the above last four finishes/seasons one can assume three types of outcomes. (which are all possible)

A. The team is on the way up
B. The team is somewhat neutral
C. The team is on the way down

Now I know this might sound crazy to some but management discusses these possible outcomes (A, B and C), they did so before they traded our 1st's for Kessel because of worse case scenarios but guess what Frankie, they also discuss these outcomes every year. Why you ask? Because we're still rebuilding, going to be drafting and the team needs to be assessed all the time plus at various points during the season depending on how we are playing. Lets move on....

Next Burke did not sign a veteran goalie to start this season, he could have easily re-signed Giguere (he wanted to stay) or easily signed another one, you know just in case. Instead he decided to ride two young unproven goalies with very little experience under their belts....

Fast forward a little later and Reimer (our starter) gets his bell rung by Gionta, went out injured for a good chunk of the season. What did Burke do to remedy this? Yep you guessed it, nothing. They called up another even more unproven goalie in Scrivens.

Two nights back Gus started against Carolina, he has has a career .888 SV% against them, Reimer who has a career .949 SV% against the same team came down with an upper body injury. Pretty good timing I'd say if you're looking to move up into the top 5 of the draft.

There's more Frankie but I assure you there aren't any tactics being used here, I'm not pushed into some "corner" (lol) because you said so and I haven't been exposed by anyone. Certainly not you.

Old
03-29-2012, 01:33 AM
darrylsittler27

Stay the course?

What course?Sign junk f.a's to huge contracts and then get even worse?This team is pure crap and needs Burke to protect them from trade deadlines.They are already golfing,and the only reason they will winn the last few games,because we own our own pick.Sometimes we forget how unimportant the fans are.Only when Leaf fans refuse to go to games will anything change.This team is made up of players who make too much money to care,plain and simple.Bet Grabo gets 40 points next year...big deal.LACK,what a waste of millions!This is a joke with no end in sight.Stay the course?

"The man is a moron!" Kevin Lowe.

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 07:46 AM
Frankie

Quote:
No there is plenty of logic behind what I've said Frankie, here's just a little example.
so you believe he signed and traded for all those nhlers over the past 3+ years for the purpose of getting a lottery pick in 2012. sure, that makes a lot of sense.

we both know this wasn't the plan. if there was a plan, it has gone terribly off track. this season is the result is ineptness, its not all part of a master plan. you know this, you just refuse to acknowledge it for some reason.

Quote:
There's more Frankie but I assure you there aren't any tactics being used here, I'm not pushed into some "corner" (lol) because you said so and I haven't been exposed by anyone. Certainly not you.
you're using odd tactics to try to defend and protect burke. its not working. you're exposing yourself, i'm just the one calling you on it.

Old
03-29-2012, 07:49 AM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Bad goaltending will poison a team like nothing else. It eventually seeps into all aspects of a game. Fix that and you'll get alot more clarity on where the team stands. It would be foolish to make rash trades before sorting that out. Bad goaltending can even make a good two-way player like Steen look like fodder.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 07:52 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Enough with the attacks already, Frankie. Usually it's you being backed into a corner..
Taking the opportunity while it's there to nail someone to the wall, eh?

It's gonna completely take the thread off track. agree to disagree or something.

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 07:56 AM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Frankie may be the oldest troll on this site. In good times and bad, the grass is always greener.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:58 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
so you believe he signed and traded for all those nhlers over the past 3+ years for the purpose of getting a lottery pick in 2012. sure, that makes a lot of sense.

we both know this wasn't the plan. if there was a plan, it has gone terribly off track. this season is the result is ineptness, its not all part of a master plan. you know this, you just refuse to acknowledge it for some reason.

you're using odd tactics to try to defend and protect burke. its not working. you're exposing yourself, i'm just the one calling you on it.
There you go, you just answered your own question. How can a team compete if they're trading away NHL'ers for futures constantly and not correcting huge problems like losing their starting goaltender which was the difference this year from securing a playoff birth or being in lottery contention like we are right now?

It's not in any way irrational to assume a team that has finished in the bottom 10 four years in a row might do so again. There is more logic supporting another possible tank then anything else because the numbers support it. Those are the facts. A smart betting man would have put money on finishing in the bottom 10 this season because the data supports it, remove a couple of variables (NHL'ers, starting goalie, etc) from the equation (team) and it's money in the bank.